PDA

View Full Version : Evade bad for hunters?

lordzanon
Nov 20, 2006, 09:34 AM
It me off to evade an attack when im doing a pa, making me waste pp, then stop to block and losing all the dmg i could have done. It gets annoying when your in a group of mobs and evade multiple times trying to spam your pa's.

So is evade a horrible stat to have for a hunter?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lordzanon on 2006-11-20 06:37 ]</font>

Sychosis
Nov 20, 2006, 09:35 AM
Absolutely hate it.

Mystil
Nov 20, 2006, 09:42 AM
It is a godsend for a newman hunter. That's one stat that will make up for the low DFP extremely well, but however it's always seems to kick in right before you get your PA off.

For boss fights, evading is a good thing. Against regular/powerful enemies, it's a hinderince.

Shiro_Ryuu
Nov 20, 2006, 09:54 AM
evade has helped me alot, such as when fighting goushins or in the neudaiz relics when those things shoot those white things that put you to sleep. sure, it can interupt your PAs, but so does getting hit hard enough to make you flinch or even worse, getting knocked down or sent flying. of those, which would you prefer: evading, flinching, or getting knocked down? at worst, high evp can make you evade during a photon art and wasting PP which would come back anyway but I thik the benefits outweigh the bad.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shiroryuu on 2006-11-20 06:55 ]</font>

Realmz
Nov 20, 2006, 09:58 AM
when i evade i stop using my PA, when i get flintched i stop using my PA.

difference is when i evade I take no damage.

i'll take the evade

Shiro_Ryuu
Nov 20, 2006, 10:07 AM
^
+1, nice to see that some people don't think of evade as detrimental for melee

Alisha
Nov 20, 2006, 10:15 AM
i love evading i always put evade units in my body slot. anyone that thinks evading is bad needs to start buying photon chargers. it seems odd to me though that you can evade the dambarta that kamatoze cast.

Mystil
Nov 20, 2006, 10:15 AM
I can recall though one instance were that 211EVP stat saved my scape doll, well one of them atleast's life. The big horn things in moatoob, Build-a-bear? lol I evaded 3 hits from it's spinning attack.

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 20, 2006, 10:22 AM
This topic reminds me of how everyone used to say that having high DEF was a bad idea for hunters in PSO because having high DEF meant that you didn't fall over and if you didn't fall over you could easily be beaten to a pulp...

I would imagine on PSU that having high evade can only be a good thing, since it PREVENTS damage rather than reduce it, especially since I believe it's possibly now for enemies to score damage while you're lying on the floor. It's a small price to pay but 'd rather be alive and waste PP occasionally (just carry multiple weapons) than dead costing my team an S-Rank just because I was too concerned with making the most of my PP.

Alisha
Nov 20, 2006, 10:24 AM
once zodial and zodeel come into play females will be evasion machines.

Sychosis
Nov 20, 2006, 10:53 AM
Maybe it's just being a female newman hunter, but I was blowing PP faster than as a force. And seeing as PAs are the only way for me to get damage out of the double digits, it is supremely annoying.

I guess it's all due to the fact that I choose to avoid damage by making things dead. Dead baddies deal no damage as well.

Flamingo99
Nov 20, 2006, 11:10 AM
just learn how to time your PAs. if you see the enemy about to use an attack, then don't use your PA, wait until hes done.

Arieta
Nov 20, 2006, 11:24 AM
Also have to use your PA's at the best time. Attacking head on there's a good chance the mob will do a quick attack while your PA charges up causing you to flinch or evade. Hitting the side or the rear normally prevents this. It does depend on the mob though, since some can attack from behind and others do AoE damage just from walking.

That's what pisses me off the most, mobs that do minor, minor damage whne they walk/turn around causing my character to evade all the time. Really hard to PA them since just the mob moving one foot causing me to evade.

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 20, 2006, 11:27 AM
On 2006-11-20 08:10, Flamingo99 wrote:
just learn how to time your PAs. if you see the enemy about to use an attack, then don't use your PA, wait until hes done.

I agree, Photon Arts might be very useful in specific situations and do alot of damage but the regular attacks are there for a reason and PAs should only be used when you're reasonably confident you'll be able to pull it off.

Getting the slow hitting sword PA off in the middle of a group of fast hitting mobs is almost certainly a bad idea since it'll be interrupted often, but like most things PAs require a certain degree of skill and common sense in their execution to minimise PA wastage - i.e only using the sword PA when mobs are at the far end of your reach, behind their backs, when they're attacking another player etc.

So there you have it - learn and use the best tactics and methods to maximise PA potential, and get high DEF and EVADE to minimise the damage you take when you are hit - the best balance.

I get the general feeling that many people just tank and pray in this game, putting added pressure on the forces to keep them healed - which is why having high EVADE might cause a problem for some http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

lordzanon
Nov 20, 2006, 12:02 PM
i guess your right, prob i see evade as an annoyance since i solo quite alot. gonna have to try team play http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Zaromok
Nov 20, 2006, 12:13 PM
well y opinion wouldn't matter because enemies hardly get close when your a ranger but i always though it would be good for hunters

Genobee
Nov 20, 2006, 12:15 PM
personaly as a beast I hate it because I rather get hit then it stop me from actualy killing the enemy.

Flunky
Nov 20, 2006, 12:21 PM
There are some enemies in particular where I hate having evade. The one that tops that list are the spiky lizard things commonly found on the 'Valley of Carnage' missions. When going above C rank you'll take small amount of damage from the front if it does so much as wobble, and if you're attacking the side it'll hop around madly rotating all the while. You'll be flooded with 5-20 damage, so you'll end up almost constantly evading. In other words, it locks you in evade so you can't attack it.

Against bosses I'm a big fan of evade (attacks tend to be powerful enough to make you flinch regardless), but for regular enemies for the most part I prefer keeping my DEF high enough so that not too much makes me flinch. As a cast this is more possible thanks to the lowest EVA stat around, so I can sometime wade into minor damage, shrugging it off as I put some clobbering in.

Eroica
Nov 20, 2006, 12:31 PM
Being a Newman Female, being hit is an advantage (on certain occasions) because it resets my casting animation, allowing me to cast vastly quicker. When I get hit for 40 dmg and return it with 1400 instead of 700 it just puts the sprinkles on my offense cake.

Jek
Nov 20, 2006, 12:54 PM
^ Guess I'm not the only one who's noticed that. I must look suicidal to some since as a Force, I LOVE to run straight into melee combat with a wand. If you're getting slammed on, you can cast Diga so damn fast, it's almost comical sometimes. You have to use judgement about when you do it, and you can't do it if you're fighting monsters much higher than you, but it sure is effective sometimes.

Nietzsche
Nov 20, 2006, 01:09 PM
if you evade it interupts PA's but you take no damage
if you don't evade it still interupts your PA's but you take damage AND maybe get knocked back or down
i agree with whoever said all you can do is time your PA's

Natrokos
Nov 20, 2006, 01:43 PM
Would you rather get a PA off or take a potentially fatal blow?

Jasam
Nov 20, 2006, 02:11 PM
Lets see
High EVP

Pros: Dodge a lot of attacks for no damage
Cons: Always inturupts PA
Evade Lock
Not garinteed to work

High DFP
Pros: Reduce damage no matter what when hit
Can continue PA if you don't flinch
Cons: If you flinch then evade would of been better as PA inturpted anyway
You can be flinch Mobbed, or suffer form the old Branz missle problem, where you take a ton of small hits

Overall, I would say that they both have their benifits in this game so far. In some of the hardest areas, we may find one or the other shines more then the other. Untill then, I would pick whichever your class excels in, since gender/class boosts are based on a % increase, you will probably get the most benifit out of boosting your strength.

Pengfishh
Nov 20, 2006, 04:19 PM
I only hate evading when I'm fighting those bastard Kog Nodds, since you take damage just being near them. In that instance I'd much rather take the 15-35 damage than waste PP just starting up Buten Shuren-zan and blocking before the second hit.

Otherise, as a Cast I seem to block most attacks fairly often and I like it plenty. Even better as a Newman Force! Blocking shits with my big ol' rod is much much better than being knocked on my ass and losing half or more of my HP.

Pentence
Nov 20, 2006, 04:21 PM
Well i tend to almost never get hit as a hunter anyway,i am a big fan of dodgeing and weaving.As for interupted PAs well its all in the timeing truly it is.Also if you just use a few regular atacks to throw the monster off balance THEN use the PA you have a far better chance of not haveing it stop it high EVP or not.Spaming PAs is just a bad idea to begin with imo,you are far more likely to get nailed and waste that pp.

On a final note PAs are best used after the initial atack is done as a final blow or way to break up a mob.I generaly find myself useing far more real world tactics due to this.You dont try for your right hook from the get go you wear em down with some jabs then when hes off center go for the hook.Simply put timeing and tactics people.

Cause_I_Own_U
Nov 20, 2006, 04:30 PM
Evade for hunters

Godsend in Rank A-S missions

Total annoyance when farming C - B missions

Also if you want less evasion take your armor off, not like its needed when farming low missions

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cause_I_Own_U on 2006-11-20 13:30 ]</font>

Ryoki
Nov 20, 2006, 06:55 PM
On 2006-11-20 07:15, Silhouette wrote:
I can recall though one instance were that 211EVP stat saved my scape doll, well one of them atleast's life. The big horn things in moatoob, Build-a-bear? lol I evaded 3 hits from it's spinning attack.

Thank god someone else sees the resemblance.

________
VOLCANO VAPORIZER (http://volcanovaporizer.net/)