PDA

View Full Version : LUCKY every day??!

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 20, 2006, 10:12 AM
I don't know why I haven't seen anyone else suggest this, maybe there's a reason that it might not work but I haven't been online yet so I dont know...

I understand that people put off grinding their weapons until the day comes when their character types have very high luck. As I understand, this is because the success rate of grinding is drastically improved on those days.

I also understand that due to the random nature of luck, some characters are getting the short end of the stick and rarely having any lucky days at all, whereas others have them nearly all the time.

If this is true, wouldn't it just be quicker and easier to look on this site to see which character type is currently the luckiest, and make a new temporary character of this type. You could then just stick your grinders and weapons in the shared storage, retrieve them with your 'lucky' character and grind with maximum luck every day! Since you don't have the weapon equipped to grind it even a level 1 character should be able to do the job.

Could this work?

Mystil
Nov 20, 2006, 10:19 AM
As I understand, this is because the success rate of grinding is drastically improved on those days.

No it is not. -.- I'll NEVER grind on level 3 luck days. I probably wont grind anything anymore. Plenty people fell for the level 3 luck, grind thier weapons and it breaks http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif....

Ilmoran
Nov 20, 2006, 10:31 AM
Um, yes, grinding success is improved on a lucky day. But it's not that "High success" on a lucky day is better than "High success" on a luck 0 day, it's that on a lucky day it might be "Very High success" while on a luck 0 day it would still be "High Success'.
And no, you can't grind with level 3 luck every day, because there isn't always someone with level 3 luck. Like yesterday for instance; NO ONE had luck. Luck 0 across the board. Good times.

rena-ko
Nov 20, 2006, 10:33 AM
level 3 luck doesnt mean youre blessed. it just means you got the most luckboost available. how much that actually is has to be found out.

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 20, 2006, 10:34 AM
On 2006-11-20 07:19, Silhouette wrote:

As I understand, this is because the success rate of grinding is drastically improved on those days.

No it is not. -.- I'll NEVER grind on level 3 luck days. I probably wont grind anything anymore. Plenty people fell for the level 3 luck, grind thier weapons and it breaks http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif....

Yeah, but that's kind on what I was thinking.

Luck is just luck - not an instant guarantee of anything, but the probability of success increases while it's still possible to fail.

I suppose because of this folks would rather wait until a lucky day to grind their weapons, because there's more chance it might work on that day than do it any other time where there's more chance of it breaking.

Unfortunately this perhaps means that some folks put too much faith in luck alone, especially those who don't get lucky days very often. It would be far too easy for the 'lucky day' to get to their heads making them want to grind and grind...

Their stuff may break first time, it always can, but it's less likely too on a lucky day. This means that folks 'making the most' of their lucky day inevitably inolves people overdoing it and pushing their luck too far - with many weapon casualties.

My idea was that if it were possible to get the highest possible success rate for grinding at any time (where normally you'd be sitting around getting frustrated because everyone gets better luck than you, leading to the 'overdoing it' problem) then folks would be more inclined to grind sensibly.

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 20, 2006, 10:38 AM
On 2006-11-20 07:31, Ilmoran wrote:
Um, yes, grinding success is improved on a lucky day. But it's not that "High success" on a lucky day is better than "High success" on a luck 0 day, it's that on a lucky day it might be "Very High success" while on a luck 0 day it would still be "High Success'.
And no, you can't grind with level 3 luck every day, because there isn't always someone with level 3 luck. Like yesterday for instance; NO ONE had luck. Luck 0 across the board. Good times.

Oh I see, I was under the impression that a different type of character was the 'lucky' character for that day, with other types getting a smaller boost here and there... I got that bit wrong I guess.

Still, the way it looks, on days where anyone gets lv3 luck there's only a 1/8 chance it'll be you - so if the luck aspect ends up being important in the long run then maybe the method I described could still be of use the remaining 7/8 times?

galaxy
Nov 20, 2006, 10:48 AM
Uncle_Pobatti, i understand what your saying. you mean to suggest that you have a temporary character slot to make a character that has the highest level luck on that day, whether or not it be 3, or 2, or even 1. that way, you can capitalize on each day by giving that character your weapons and grinders, right?

i guess this makes sense. i don't see anything wrong about it.

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 20, 2006, 10:55 AM
On 2006-11-20 07:48, galaxy wrote:
Uncle_Pobatti, i understand what your saying. you mean to suggest that you have a temporary character slot to make a character that has the highest level luck on that day, whether or not it be 3, or 2, or even 1. that way, you can capitalize on each day by giving that character your weapons and grinders, right?

i guess this makes sense. i don't see anything wrong about it.

You got it precisely right http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

While there are folks that may question just how much luck affects things like grinding, it sure seems to make sense at least trying to grind when you're more likely to succeed - especially since alot of weapons are very hard to find or expensive.

This would even work for those folks who really want the 3 luck because 'at least one character type gets 3 luck' happens far more regular than 'your particular character type gets 3 luck' - so being lucky becomes alot more common meaning folks don't go mad abusing their first luck day in 3 weeks http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Uncle_Pobatti on 2006-11-20 07:59 ]</font>

Talin
Nov 20, 2006, 10:56 AM
There is the same (random) chance for each race/sex combination to be lucky each day. One some days you might see everyone with a various luck level, on others no one will be lucky at all.

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 20, 2006, 11:05 AM
I understand more about the allocation of luck now due to replies in this thread, thanks folks http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

On 2006-11-20 07:56, Talin wrote:
There is the same (random) chance for each race/sex combination to be lucky each day. One some days you might see everyone with a various luck level, on others no one will be lucky at all.

I can see what you're getting at here. It's sort of like flipping a 4-sided coin. People who wait for their own luck to be 3 are only flippling one coin...

Folks who use the method I described flip 8 coins, meaning that their chances of getting a 3 Luck day is increased by 8 - even though all 8 coins could still possibly let you down the chances increase.

Arieta
Nov 20, 2006, 11:26 AM
If I need to grind a weapon, I just use whatever race/sex combo has the most luck for that. I keep a 4th slot open for that. Like today I made a cast female just to grind a few items I had up to 5 and 6.

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 20, 2006, 11:29 AM
On 2006-11-20 08:26, Arieta wrote:
If I need to grind a weapon, I just use whatever race/sex combo has the most luck for that. I keep a 4th slot open for that. Like today I made a cast female just to grind a few items I had up to 5 and 6.

You're doing it already, so it definately works then http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Aaomi
Nov 20, 2006, 11:59 AM
I always Grind when I have level 2 luck, seems to have the best results for me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Ilmoran
Nov 20, 2006, 11:25 PM
Also, just like it's possible for everyone to have horrible luck (see: 11/19), it's also possible to have multiple race/gender combos with level 3 luck.

Laranas
Nov 20, 2006, 11:28 PM
Even though luck changes what the NPC says the outcome should be, I tend to have better results with 1 luck than I do on a newearl.

Malachon
Nov 21, 2006, 12:30 AM
2 dumb questions: Do lucky days apply to offline mode, and does luck affect anything else in the game(critical hits, item drops, etc.)?

Malachon
Nov 21, 2006, 12:30 AM
2 dumb questions: Do lucky days apply to offline mode, and does luck affect anything else in the game(critical hits, item drops, etc.)?

Laranas
Nov 21, 2006, 12:31 AM
Luck does not affect Story/Extra Mode, and in Network mode it effects drops (and rare monster appearance), grinding, and critical hit rate.

Garnet_Moon
Nov 21, 2006, 12:32 AM
Don't look at PSUPedia, because you Human Ms are going to /wrist when you do. Your superior half gets 3 star luck, and you get none again. LOL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2006-11-20 21:33 ]</font>

ViciousXUSMC
Nov 21, 2006, 12:45 AM
lvl 2 luck ftw... I swear lvl 3 luck is bugged.

I find less rares and break more things on lvl 3 days than anything.

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 21, 2006, 12:47 AM
On 2006-11-20 21:31, Laranas wrote:
Luck does not affect Story/Extra Mode, and in Network mode it effects drops (and rare monster appearance), grinding, and critical hit rate.

I strongly believe that SEGA deliberately gimped the offline modes to make them very quick and easy to get through - fast levelling, instant access to S Rank weapons (with no need to level jobs to be able to use them), too much meseta, cheesy relaxed equipment rules (such as hunters with wands), way too easy to level jobs (just S-Rank linear line over and over with a gun/saber to level any job!) etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if you effectively ALWAYS have level 3 luck in offline mode (since comparing the grind charts for offline and online, offliners seem to have it too easy) - but I suppose to some this would mean that offline luck simply isn't a factor and everything's too easy anyhow http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I found that rares seem to drop all the time, which is a shock since you could go days if not weeks before you see a single red box in PSO. The only thing I had any difficulty in finding was Kubara Wood, but I found all 3 in the space of a week http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

KiteWolfwood
Nov 21, 2006, 01:19 AM
I had 0 luck yesterday and got my Spear, Rifle, and Shotgun to 5 with +1-3 grinders. Good times.

Laranas
Nov 21, 2006, 01:28 AM
On 2006-11-20 21:47, Uncle_Pobatti wrote:
*text that I read, trust me*

The thing is, Weapon Grinding is a money sink. Seriously, it's there to make rich players break expensive weapons for maybe 10 more atk/tp at most (a grind). When put that way, it's not worth it, but people do it anyway. Offline there's no reason for a money sink, so the charts are more forgiving (heck, using a Grinder+5 is a guaranteed success offline). But luck just doesn't exist offline in that sense. The system itself is made easier for the player, so spiritually luck is there.

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 21, 2006, 01:38 AM
I just kind of saw the purpose for all the tweaks offline that make it so easy as being a way for Sega to get people through the game quickly, levelled to the max fast, enough money to get all the best stuff... and then what?

People do everything there is to do offline in less than a month, pretty much forcing them to go online for the extra content alone. Compare this to PSO Ep1+2 for Gamecube and a single character can last months and months before I've gotten bored with offline mode, and I've never ever reached level 200 or gotten even half the stuff available to this day!

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Nov 21, 2006, 02:49 AM
This is enough of a reason to have more than one character and progress them past lv 1.

Alternating days of luck.

Mazoku
Nov 21, 2006, 03:38 AM
About 5 minutes ago I created a level 3 luck human female to grind a kubara alteric bow. I broke it on a 'very high chance of success' with a +6 grinder. I am cursed.