PDA

View Full Version : No fun trying to MAX your stats?

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 20, 2006, 03:39 PM
I remember the good old days of PSO, where people strived to get their character to be the strongest possible, it was always fun trying to maintain the perfect balance of:

- Mag stat levels
- Materials
- Stat boosting units
When I look at PSU, what do I see:

- Your PM stats don't affect your stats at all
- Materials don't exist at all
- Much more restricted choice in allocating units
You used to be able to level up to 200 and then work out the perfect combination of mats and mag levels needed to maximise most if not all of your stats.

So far, the only things that I can see are your job levels and units - but job levels are just a 'get as many as you can' scenario. You can no longer choose to equip 4 GOD/HP++ etc, it has to be a different unit for different body parts - so as some people have stated they have to make sometimes hard decisions between SUV weapons and automatic regen units http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Surely every male human hunter (for example) at level 100 with all their jobs maxed would have just the same stats as all the others!

I haven't tried online mode yet, and it could work out that it isn't such a big deal after all, but does anyone else find this lack the ability for personalised development of stats to be a step backwards or do you think that it's actually an improvement that removes the need for minute planning of your character well in advance?

I myself am as yet quite undecided on this one.

Cross
Nov 20, 2006, 03:44 PM
I'd rather my performance be based on how well I can play the game instead of how big my numbers are.

Materials and MAGs were horrible ideas in PSO and I'm glad they're gone (or at least altered to no longer be reminiscent of the original concept).

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 20, 2006, 03:47 PM
On 2006-11-20 12:44, Cross wrote:
I'd rather my performance be based on how well I can play the game instead of how big my numbers are.

Materials and MAGs were horrible ideas in PSO and I'm glad they're gone (or at least altered to no longer be reminiscent of the original concept).

I also believe that people focused far too heavily on stats in PSO - yet the old system has been around so long and is so embedded in it's players that it's hard to imagine it not being that way.

Who knows, maybe this means more folks will find other ways to have fun, like joining parties and making friends http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Kuya
Nov 20, 2006, 03:48 PM
I was never one for twinking. I read your title differently. No fun trying to max your stats. The end. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 20, 2006, 03:52 PM
On 2006-11-20 12:48, Kuya wrote:
I was never one for twinking. I read your title differently. No fun trying to max your stats. The end. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

lol

Actually I was kind of thinking the same thing with previous versions, until I just accepted it as the big part of the game that it was and before I knew it that was all I really cared about...

In hindsight I can't say it was really fun - but it seemed that was what PSO was all about for alot of people.

Shaidar
Nov 20, 2006, 03:56 PM
I liked the concept of stats boosting units in PSO though. Even if materials and mags were a real pain, customizing after your own head is fun. It shouldn't be troublesome, just fun. Like how some games let you decide where to put your statspoint and figuring out your ideal build.

chaostroop
Nov 20, 2006, 03:56 PM
aaaaaahhhhh i remember on pso........boxen so easy and so little trying 2 max your carecter......ahhhhh the good old days

Pengfishh
Nov 20, 2006, 04:01 PM
Eh, I was never too staunch about my stats in PSO. It was more the weapons I was using and how effective they were in the many different situations presented throughout the levels. This, of course, is more prevalent in PSU, and therefore makes the game a much more satisfying experience for me.

Thoridan
Nov 20, 2006, 04:03 PM
its a totaly diffrent game. Look closer, you'll see almost every detail is diffrent.

No pvp
No unfair unbalances where some classes PWNZORZOMG!!11!!11(Rich FO)
Money actualy has value
You cant play same char offline and online

many many more. If you like PSO, go play that..this isnt Phantasy Star Online IV for a reason.

Laranas
Nov 20, 2006, 04:08 PM
Finding an achieving that balance in PSO was a lot more frustrating than fun, I'm glad it doesn't exist. I still think Humans should get a better racial than Crea, tho.. and that's where I'd put a MAG. Maybe limit it at Lv50, but just something to unbalance our stats towards the class we want.

Zorafim
Nov 20, 2006, 08:06 PM
I'm also glad that mags and materials no longer exist. Yes, there was the satisfaction that you had 400 more atp than normal, but after obtaining that, you kind of wished you didn't. Now everything is based on equipment and levels, which is much more to my liking.

ZiG
Nov 20, 2006, 09:51 PM
Threads like this should be locked until enough content is out to give them a point.

MXdude
Nov 20, 2006, 10:14 PM
Why all the hate towards MAGs? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif I loved those little guys. It was fun leveling them, it made people's characters more unique. So did the units armors and barriers, but they were traded for....clothes....blah. I feel PSO was more addicting because of the many options you had for your character. meh PSU is still a pretty good game.

Mystil
Nov 20, 2006, 10:21 PM
The hate from mags come from the fact that tweakers would plow through the games in PSO. Can you imagine the degrading fun factor if this was possible in PSU?

Here's a fact - with God/power + Gob/ability + 120POW Mag or more, you can solo to 60 in PSOGC. Maybe further, but that's as high as I went lol.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silhouette on 2006-11-20 19:23 ]</font>

Laranas
Nov 20, 2006, 10:26 PM
That's understandable, but what if they were bound to a character like PMs?

AkiraXxx
Nov 21, 2006, 12:18 AM
I actually wish they would have kept mags in psu, only they acted like pms and couldnt be tradable. I also do miss the + units. I mean seriously those things were kick ass, having that in this game would really seperate the players and make some people stand out more. Besides it would have been great to actually have your mag in psu instead of a shit PM that takes up a party slot and adds no stats to you.

I hope that the units that add special effects to your character arent common and do add some decent stats, either that or allow more then 1 slot to arm,head,body etc.

It just sucks that as of now, when we are all level 70, we will ALL have the same stats. Only difference is the weapons. But shit everyone is basicly going to be rocking the same weapons.

I also miss those stat increase items. Lol those things were awsome.

AlphaMinotaux
Nov 21, 2006, 12:46 AM
i would also like to add that we don't have all of the game unlocked yet...

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 21, 2006, 01:06 AM
On 2006-11-20 21:46, AlphaMinotaux wrote:
i would also like to add that we don't have all of the game unlocked yet...

That's true, however I can't see SEGA making these sorts of alterations in the game - we'll get items, quests, cities, clothes etc but I can't see them really changing the way stats are allocated, slot items are used or your PM works - although they could come out with something completely new I suppose.

I have a feeling I wasn't quite clear on my feelings towards these differences in my earlier posts - to clarify I found all the focus on the minute aspects of personal stat growth in PSO to be far too time consuming and tedious - however Sega appear to have gone from one extreme to the other and are severely restricting the development of our characters to the point where everyone of the same class and level have the exact same stats.

Most online games allow the player choice and control over how their characters develop, usually in the form of stat point allocation, yet PSU only has Photon Art selection and appearances to offer any real differences between characters.

It could also be said that this game suffers from 'Final Fantasy 7 syndrome' - i.e. every character is capable of being exactly the same, with the same abilities and everything (except slightly adjusted stats) because of the inclusion of the job system - lets face it, once you get a character to the maximum level, there's less purpose in starting a new character of another race because inevitably players will use the same playstyle and 'best attacks' with each character they make and struggle to really make their new character different...

I'm not immediately dismissing this game on the strength of what I've posted. I've played enough games over the years to realise that sometimes things that are changed between different versions of a game series - whilst not every change might be immediately appealing or make much sense at first glance, once I've gotten my head around stuff I often look back and understand why certain things were changed and appreciate and enjoy the game all the more http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Blu_Swade
Nov 21, 2006, 01:31 AM
I miss the mags ;_; the little guys kept me company when I was offline (I am still offline, I hope to get a guardian liscence[can't spell that word >_<] relatively soon, though...) plus my Varaha looked like BA wings XD and it had super attack boosting goodness.

MXdude
Nov 21, 2006, 01:34 AM
a GL O.o? Who buys GLs anymore http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif just pop on a free server. they are much more populated and free, and are better maintained then the ST servers.

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 21, 2006, 01:44 AM
On 2006-11-20 22:34, MXdude wrote:
a GL O.o? Who buys GLs anymore http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif just pop on a free server. they are much more populated and free, and are better maintained then the ST servers.

Come on now really, whilst I guess it's always possible, itn't it just a tad too early for folks to have developed working private servers of this game, after all there still isn't a private Blue Burst server available to the general public just yet!

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure discussion of private servers is against the forum rules, so I'd really think twice if I were you before actually encouraging other folks to look for them - especially with PSU being so new.

Drayma
Nov 21, 2006, 02:18 AM
The mags, mats and section ID made online PSO sooo much fun because you end up with a much better character than you thought. How hard is it to let a ranger farm a mind mag for a force or vice versa? How hard is it to go into a trade window and trade mats? How hard is to start a game with a character (person) with a particular section ID and unleash your fury and hunt for items?

Tycho
Nov 21, 2006, 05:10 AM
Heh, I'm glad they did away with the old system, because it was just broken and ridiculous. >_>;

MXdude
Nov 22, 2006, 03:28 PM
On 2006-11-20 22:44, Uncle_Pobatti wrote:

On 2006-11-20 22:34, MXdude wrote:

Come on now really, whilst I guess it's always possible, itn't it just a tad too early for folks to have developed working private servers of this game, after all there still isn't a private Blue Burst server available to the general public just yet!

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure discussion of private servers is against the forum rules, so I'd really think twice if I were you before actually encouraging other folks to look for them - especially with PSU being so new.

whoops nvm lol i thought he/she said HL not GL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MXdude on 2006-11-22 12:28 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MXdude on 2006-11-22 12:29 ]</font>

Hey12389
Nov 22, 2006, 05:22 PM
I Liked how it was heavy on numbers inPSO thats why i loved the game