PDA

View Full Version : What is "role player" in PSU mean?

Nika
Nov 20, 2006, 10:42 PM
Sorry for a noob question, but anyone can explain about "roleplayer"?
(I think it is RP from RPG) ,but what it do in online game? and in universe 17? what is the difference between normal player in PSU and RPer in PSU ?

Maskim
Nov 20, 2006, 10:45 PM
An RPer will speak in character while RPing. They'll be talking about the sour koltova milk from the HoltesCity Juice Bar, not about tonight's episode of Heroes. RPing is fun, but just can't do it all the time in online games.

Pentence
Nov 20, 2006, 10:51 PM
well honestly roleplayers usualy play their characters only when other RPers and let others know they are.there is no real difference between a regualr player and an rper cept that one likesto "act" the part every now and again.

GeoHolyhart
Nov 20, 2006, 11:01 PM
Basically if someone's playing a cast that hates humans the player will carry out that role while roleplaying. So in other words its assuming a role. Most people don't do this 24/7 though.

Genobee
Nov 21, 2006, 12:24 AM
O I thought it ment loser with no life http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sychosis
Nov 21, 2006, 12:27 AM
On 2006-11-20 21:24, Genobee wrote:
O I thought it ment loser with no life http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

No, that's what the term "Genobee" means http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

-Shimarisu-
Nov 21, 2006, 12:28 AM
That's funny, cause I thought loser with no life meant "dude who plays a game he doesn't like to max level, merely to recapture the lost glow of a previous game he once loved, while sobbing and clutching hankies."

Pentence
Nov 21, 2006, 12:28 AM
On 2006-11-20 21:24, Genobee wrote:

Hey i have a life....

I just choose to use it spareingly.

Genobee
Nov 21, 2006, 12:44 AM
On 2006-11-20 21:28, -Shimarisu- wrote:
That's funny, cause I thought loser with no life meant "dude who plays a game he doesn't like to max level, merely to recapture the lost glow of a previous game he once loved, while sobbing and clutching hankies."

nope it means 30 year old house wife who needs to grow up and stop playing games made for people half her age and love for the game can only be compared to a Shi'ite Muslim Suicide bomber. to be frank

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Genobee on 2006-11-20 21:49 ]</font>

Garnet_Moon
Nov 21, 2006, 12:46 AM
On 2006-11-20 21:44, Genobee wrote:

On 2006-11-20 21:28, -Shimarisu- wrote:

nope it means 30 year old house wife who needs to grow up and stop play games made for people half her age and love for the game can only be compared to a Shi'ite Muslim Suicide bomber. to be frank

Wow, you even threw in terrorism. Hot dayum.

Sage. Where is the ignore bootan.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2006-11-20 21:46 ]</font>

Genobee
Nov 21, 2006, 12:50 AM
FOR DE RAGAN AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH! *boom*

Zato-2TWO
Nov 21, 2006, 12:52 AM
Too old for video games? BLASPHEMY.

*breaks out the big red "ARGUING ON THE INTERNETS >: I" stamp*

ZiG
Nov 21, 2006, 01:10 AM

nope it means 30 year old house wife who needs to grow up and stop playing games made for people half her age and love for the game can only be compared to a Shi'ite Muslim Suicide bomber. to be frank

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Genobee on 2006-11-20 21:49 ]</font>

Average age of today's gamer is mid to late 20s. You fail.

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 21, 2006, 01:31 AM
Role playing follows a few basic rules that differ from player to player however there is one rule that most role players (and role playing servers) usually follow:

The characters are played as if they really exist, and that the real world does not exist for them. As such, you will never hear anyone who's RPing refer to the real world (that your character would not be aware of) or aspects of him/herself or others that they also would not be aware of.

For example RPers would not say:

- Oh man I'm lagging!
- OMG haxx!
- When's the update?
- My HP are low!
- This is way better than PSO!

RPers might say instead:

- Slow down folks I haven't the energy to keep up!
- Oh no another Endrum member up to no good!
- When are there going to be more jobs for us to do?
- I'm badly injured can anyone help me?
- I'm enjoying being a Guardian!

As you can see, certain things are very tricky and almost impossible to say in a RP way and these things are usually avoided - after all it's very unlikely your CAST would have ever sat down and played a game called Phantasy Star Online http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

The whole idea of RP is to help immerse players into the game 'world' and when done properly and with care and skill, RP can actually be quite fun!

BooChan
Nov 21, 2006, 01:32 AM
Rping is great. I'm still looking for a cool tight knit group.

Eternal_Drake
Nov 21, 2006, 01:33 AM
So many of the above posts fail so hard it is simply overwhelming.

BooChan
Nov 21, 2006, 01:34 AM
Is it me is anyone else tired of he new LEET term of "fail" being thrown around these days?

Eternal_Drake
Nov 21, 2006, 01:36 AM
On 2006-11-20 22:34, BooChan wrote:
Is it me is anyone else tired of he new LEET term of "fail" being thrown around these days?

I'm not.

BooChan
Nov 21, 2006, 01:37 AM
I am.

Flunky
Nov 21, 2006, 01:48 AM
RPing can mean different things to different people (as can just about anything, heh).

The general basis of it all, however, is Role-Playing (RPing). In other words, you assume the persona of the character you are playing as, in the universe your character inhabits.

For some, this just means 'staying IC' (In Character) as you discuss the sort of game-related stuff you'd talk about if you weren't RPing. For others, they try to act like the character in the world doing the stuff you do as you play the game (work as a Guardian, kill stuff, profit, etc.). For others still, they'll extend their characters' lives outside the usual gameplay, acting in storylines involving numerous characters. These storylines, in my opinion, tend to be very angsty and silly- but that's just my opinion.

It can certainly be fun if you're a fan of immersion. If you really like the 'lore' (background info) about the game, then you can really get into it. If you just want to discuss the latest episode of [insert popular show here], then you may not be fond of RPing (at that moment, at least). Such talk would be deemed OOC (Out Of Character) by those RPing. If you want to keep it at the 'I'm just burning a couple hours to waste some baddies', you probably won't be as fond of RPing.

I'm probably missing all sort of random info there, but I figured a little bit of vague info would help.

On a personal note, while I tend to like immersion and the 'casual' level of RPing (play your character, but don't get involved in silly drama), I can't say that I've really done much of it on PSU.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Flunky on 2006-11-20 22:49 ]</font>

Genobee
Nov 21, 2006, 02:20 AM
On 2006-11-20 22:10, ZiG wrote:

ok you failed math oviously, because 30+ does fall into 20s

Flunky
Nov 21, 2006, 02:24 AM
For the record, if the -average- age of today's gamer is indeed mid to late 20s, then considering that there are a fair number under this number... one would have to assume there are also a fair number -over- this number. Y'know, numbers like in the 30s. Beyond that, I cannot comment.

BooChan
Nov 21, 2006, 02:32 AM
Many between the ages of 25-30 were kids during the rise .fall,and rise again of video games. So people my age (30) are definetly the average gamer. Gaming is very much apart of my life.

Blu_Swade
Nov 21, 2006, 02:39 AM
your age doesn't matter when playing video games, that's like saying someone can't play monopoly because they're retired -_-''' straight crap, straight up crapola. Most un-yoush...

A2K
Nov 21, 2006, 02:41 AM
Call me old fashioned, but I'd define loser with "people who resort to flaming one other on Internet message board."

...Stay on topic. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bash.gif

Blu_Swade
Nov 21, 2006, 02:43 AM
On 2006-11-20 23:41, A2K wrote:
Call me old fashioned, but I'd define loser with "people who resort to flaming one other on Internet message board."

...Stay on topic. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bash.gif

word

Abeatron
Nov 21, 2006, 02:44 AM
On 2006-11-20 23:20, Genobee wrote:

ok you failed math oviously, because 30+ does fall into 20s

On the contrary my dear friend... There are ALOT of 30+ gamers out there, and i can't see why they are the ones whom have no life? Shouldn't people in their 20s be out with girl/boy-friends, partys with their friends ans so on and so on... so if you abide to the "People above 30 has no life if they play games" locic i beg to differ and say no... the young gamer are those who have no life in that case.

I myself say: You got your life to do whatever you want with it... EVERYBODY has lives. (vote for me and i will throw in this cute puppy) *waves a puppy around the room* Isn't she cute http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Blu_Swade
Nov 21, 2006, 03:00 AM
age doesn't matter, I don't have a problem with older gamers, in fact, I think it's a good thing, at the very least it stops people from blaming Id Software for Columbine (seriously they tried to pin it on Id? for making an FPS? People suck...)

Nika
Nov 21, 2006, 03:50 AM
This 's sound fun. So most of RPer in on Universe 17 right ? I ll join some time. However, I guess I should clear story mode be4 that.

PS: "Do you know Karen Erra?
she used to be my girlfriend ,before that shit Ethan Waber has stolen her from me. "
"(sad)..... Let's drink at the bar in MOB"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nika on 2006-11-21 01:10 ]</font>

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 21, 2006, 03:55 AM
On 2006-11-21 00:00, Blu_Swade wrote:
age doesn't matter, I don't have a problem with older gamers, in fact, I think it's a good thing, at the very least it stops people from blaming Id Software for Columbine (seriously they tried to pin it on Id? for making an FPS? People suck...)

Seriously, I'm 28 myself and play alot of online games with folks who I've never met and quite often I'm just plain unaware of their ages. I'm actually quite surprised when I find out a particular friend is actually only 9 years old or another is actually 46 - strange knowing the truth but really how does it really matter so long as everyone gets on with each other and play good together?

Animosity
Nov 21, 2006, 10:08 AM

i seriously doubt that even if statistics say its true. they didnt ask me and im damn sure they didnt ask you.

-Ryuki-
Nov 21, 2006, 10:19 AM
If you want to see how MY group (We're unaffiliated with any of the three groups of Uni 17) Roleplays, then you luck out. I like to keep my group exclusive =)

RPers have lives. They're being creative by not grinding like crazy. Those who grind like crazy, either don't have much time to play, or have no lives to be able to have so much time to play. It all depends how you look at it. If you judge an RPer as "wierd", then you shun them for finding ways to have fun.

My character doesn't speak much slang, and is rather formal. Should you come across him, you might think he's "wierd". =X

Callous
Nov 21, 2006, 11:54 AM
Another gamer in his 30s here chiming in. I continue to be surprised at the ignorance of teenagers. Most 30 year old guys (and more women than you'd think) like to play games. They've played since they were kids and had fun with it. It's not like we go "Oh! 30! Gotta stop playing games!". Here's another surprise: We don't stop watching TV, reading books or going to the bathroom, either. Can you believe it?

As for role playing in online games, that seems a bit ... odd ... to me no matter the age, but live and let live. At least I haven't encountered any roleplayers that were assholes, spammers or cheaters.

Flunky
Nov 21, 2006, 12:14 PM
That's actually a point I forgot to bring up, Callous.

I first looked into the whole RP crowd just because they tend to exhibit -much- better behaviour, both in terms of politeness and in terms of cheating and whatnot. I generally don't RP too deep, but I do like hanging around RPers just because they tend to be such good folk.

-Ryuki-
Nov 21, 2006, 12:17 PM
Then Flunky, I'll let you know ahead of time, that I'm one of those RPers you enjoy being around.

Just lately, it's been a little "off-course", because of an incident. Trying to fix it, but it'll be a long while..

Tahldon
Nov 21, 2006, 01:35 PM
Role playing is another way for those with a great imagination to express themselves. Often times people just generally like stories; thus, they rp to feed the need.

What the hell is all this stuff about people "failing" because they like to "act" and "Storytell"? For whom of which think that people who rp are weird, you might wanna do an imagination check on yourself.

Also, there are gamers of various ages. Games just didn't come out yesterday you know. They've been around for a long time. Gaming is fun.. to most people. Like it was said earlier, just because one hits 30 doesn't mean that they up and just stop existing altogether(Not that I'm 30 or anything), what do you expect them to do? Stop living and just be in dispair cause they're not 20 anymore? The hell kind of nonsense is that.. Besides MOST teenagers don't know a thing and are really immature..sadly some adults are the same, but there are less immature people amoung the older.. if you know what I mean. I'm more inclined to interact with more mature people in that aspect..

Geez.. the things people say nowadays..

Maskim
Nov 21, 2006, 01:50 PM
Two points.

The first, not one that's really been brought up, but is usually a major misonception it seems. RPer, and powergamer are not mutually exclusive terms. Most people think that RPers just sit around with elfie characters sipping virtual wine and talking all day. A good portion play the game just as hard as you do, just as some are very casual players, like te non rping population. Some of my quickest maxxed out characters in various games have been from being in rp guilds.

Second, although not 30 yet, I'm getting close, at 28. My first game was an old, even at the time, Pong game before I was 1. The first game I can remember was PacMan, which came out when I was 1 1/2 I believe, and I havn't stopped since. My first video RPG was the copy of Dragon Warrior that came with my Nintendo Power Subscripton in either 86 or 87. As Callous said, we don't stop playing games, we don't stop reading, or watching TV, or playing football (except when the cold causes old injuries turning into arthritis way too early to flare up http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif), and just don't stop being who we are because we get older. If someday you wake up and say 'Well, I'm now 30, time to stop participating in every activity I enjoy.' then I fee sorry for you. That isn't being mature or growing up, fitting in your recreational activities, staying true to yourself, while still living up to your responsibilities is.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Maskim on 2006-11-21 10:51 ]</font>

Tsudori
Nov 21, 2006, 05:57 PM
RPing good if you can do it right...otherwise u just become annoying!

SwiftMetal
Nov 21, 2006, 06:01 PM
On 2006-11-20 20:01, GeoHolyhart wrote:
Basically if someone's playing a cast that hates humans the player will carry out that role while roleplaying. So in other words its assuming a role. Most people don't do this 24/7 though.

My friend does that, sept with a beast hating cast, he goes up to people as is like

" FRIEND! I URGE YOU TO MAKE ALL CASTS RUST! PRAY FOR RAIN!!"

Flunky
Nov 21, 2006, 09:38 PM
I've gotten the impression that there's a larger RP population on the PC/PS2 than the 360, though perhaps this is only because of the larger population in general. A shame I'll never be able to meet up with yer group, Ryuki, as if I recall correctly yer on the ol' PC/PS2.

Ah well. So it goes, so it goes.

-Ryuki-
Nov 21, 2006, 10:58 PM
Yes, I'm part of the PC/PS2 community. 'Tis a shame, I know, but it's not that bad really.

So far, there's been a few bad experiences. When my friends from my "group" pop up randomly, I automatically go into RPing mode, even if I was talking to people. The people around me would think we're wierd and all that stuff, but hey, who cares. They just feel awkward because they're not used to it, and I'm having fun regardless of what's said to me =)

Stryfe1
Nov 22, 2006, 01:14 AM
Erm, for the record, Phantasy Star 1 came out around 1988... I think.

GeoHolyhart
Nov 22, 2006, 03:20 AM
On 2006-11-21 18:38, Flunky wrote:
I've gotten the impression that there's a larger RP population on the PC/PS2 than the 360, though perhaps this is only because of the larger population in general. A shame I'll never be able to meet up with yer group, Ryuki, as if I recall correctly yer on the ol' PC/PS2.

Ah well. So it goes, so it goes.

Yes, there does seem to be a larger RP community on the PC/PS2 version, but there really isn't more people on the PC/PS2 version the 360 from what I gathered from all the topics. It's just the consoles theme selves. Xbox Live in general revolved around Halo, sports games, etc... While the PS2 and PC had a variety of RPGs, etc... Which audience do you think is more likely to enjoy RP'ing?

Blu_Swade
Nov 22, 2006, 04:18 AM
On 2006-11-21 22:14, Stryfe1 wrote:
Erm, for the record, Phantasy Star 1 came out around 1988... I think.

I was born in 1988.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blu_Swade on 2006-11-22 01:19 ]</font>

-Ryuki-
Nov 22, 2006, 09:04 AM
FF6 was MY time era.

Miyoko
Nov 22, 2006, 09:07 AM
Heh, I spent the entire day just hanging out in my shop, roleplaying my character to be the shop owner... I'd greet people when they came in, ask if I could assist them in any way, and just generally talked to them about anything and everything.

I had a blast doing it, and I think the people whom visited enjoyed it too, as I had a couple people tell me they were going to become regulars. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Now if only I could open a restaurant or something... I'd never get to do missions again... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

-Ryuki-
Nov 22, 2006, 09:42 AM
A Cast can only dream =P

Blu_Swade
Nov 22, 2006, 10:24 AM
On 2006-11-22 06:04, RyukiZero wrote:
FF6 was MY time era.

I remember reading about FFI and FFII in my gamer mags when I was little, I always got them at the dollar store... Good times...

-Ryuki-
Nov 22, 2006, 10:35 AM
I only remembered as far back as Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest, which hardly counted as a FF title, and about the same time Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past was first on SNES.

Turambar
Nov 22, 2006, 11:07 AM
Kirby for the NES. Ahh, the dawn of my gaming career.

-Ryuki-
Nov 22, 2006, 11:32 AM
Everyone's off-topic. Get back towards the RPing world, not the RPG world XD

Pentence
Nov 22, 2006, 11:07 PM
On 2006-11-20 22:32, BooChan wrote:
Rping is great. I'm still looking for a cool tight knit group.

i got one,you are more than welcome to join us check my sig.We have lots of interesting chracters as well,mine is dateing a cast(interesting to say the least).Most definitly fun.

Lashiens
Nov 23, 2006, 04:49 AM
On 2006-11-22 06:04, RyukiZero wrote:
FF6 was MY time era.

I am sad to report that I can remember the launch of every Final Fantasy released in the United States, including the original Final Fantasy. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

But if it makes you feel better, I was only in the 3rd grade when Final Fantasy came out for the NES. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Most people around here already know, that I'm a pretty big RP advocate, however... there are limits to rping. I'm a firm believer, that you rp when it's necessary, and you stop rping when it's necessary. Example:

Good: Sitting in your room, relaxing area, commom area, whatever. This is a good place to RP.

Bad: Rping during a highly tense fight with many mobs that clearly overpower you, or during boss fights. This is a bad place to RP.

Let's face it. RP is all good, but when you start babbling random crap that serves no purpose DURING the actual boss fight itself, that ends up getting yourself, or others killed, I will spare no expense to back-hand you. Use your common sense. RP after the boss is dead and say "Whew! That was a tough fight!" But keep your trap shut unless it has something to do with us NOT dying. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lashiens on 2006-11-23 01:53 ]</font>

-Ryuki-
Nov 23, 2006, 05:12 AM
I RP wherever I can. A true RPer isn't limited by where he can RP, but how creative he is.

Lashiens
Nov 23, 2006, 05:34 AM
On 2006-11-23 02:12, RyukiZero wrote:
I RP wherever I can. A true RPer isn't limited by where he can RP, but how creative he is.

It's true. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

But still. You get us wiped in a boss fight... and IMMA CUTCHOO! >:(

-Ryuki-
Nov 23, 2006, 05:43 AM
Not if I fly away like Peter Pan, whom which I can Roleplay as anytime of day >=X

Lashiens
Nov 23, 2006, 05:50 AM
*gets out the cutchoo instruments and makes stabbing motions*

-Ryuki-
Nov 23, 2006, 05:52 AM
-Hacks and Data Drains.- =X

Lashiens
Nov 23, 2006, 06:01 AM
Error. Error. Error.

Caseal Type-01 has encountered an error and needs to shut down, we apologize for this inconvienience.

*Would you like to tell Microsoft about this problem?*

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

-Ryuki-
Nov 23, 2006, 06:28 AM
ZOMG! Blue screen of death!

Kronovan
Nov 23, 2006, 08:34 PM
On 2006-11-20 22:31, Uncle_Pobatti wrote:
Role playing follows a few basic rules that differ from player to player however there is one rule that most role players (and role playing servers) usually follow:

The characters are played as if they really exist, and that the real world does not exist for them. As such, you will never hear anyone who's RPing refer to the real world (that your character would not be aware of) or aspects of him/herself or others that they also would not be aware of.

For example RPers would not say:

- Oh man I'm lagging!
- OMG haxx!
- When's the update?
- My HP are low!
- This is way better than PSO!

RPers might say instead:

- Slow down folks I haven't the energy to keep up!
- Oh no another Endrum member up to no good!
- When are there going to be more jobs for us to do?
- I'm badly injured can anyone help me?
- I'm enjoying being a Guardian!

As you can see, certain things are very tricky and almost impossible to say in a RP way and these things are usually avoided - after all it's very unlikely your CAST would have ever sat down and played a game called Phantasy Star Online http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

The whole idea of RP is to help immerse players into the game 'world' and when done properly and with care and skill, RP can actually be quite fun!

Actually all that's stated in the "For Example RP'ers would not say" listing here could be said on a Role Playing server. But in keeping with the spirit of RP, they should be prefixed with 'OOC' which is the abreviation to tell others you're speaking Out Of Character.

I played AC and DAoC RP servers for a number of years and OOC'ing was done quite a lot. I wasn't even aware there was an RP universe on PSU; I'll have to check it out http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Rekitheforce
Nov 23, 2006, 09:13 PM
On 2006-11-20 21:52, Zato-2TWO wrote:
Too old for video games? BLASPHEMY.

*breaks out the big red "ARGUING ON THE INTERNETS >: I" stamp*

Yeah. I feel that anyone can enjoy games no mattter what their age is. It may sound corny, but hey it's the truth.