PDA

View Full Version : Why play?

Niki
Nov 20, 2006, 11:27 PM
Recent posts have brought this to mind, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm playing for a different reason than everyone else. True, everyone plays the game in their own way, and a lot of those ways end up being totally incompatible [at least with me :/]. So, just throwin' it out there; Do you know why you login?

What makes the game one that you play, and keep playing? What about it is most satisfying? What makes it enjoyable for you?

Laranas
Nov 20, 2006, 11:31 PM
I'd say I'm pegged at Comraderie. I've logged over 15,000 hours in PSO, played the originals to death, but what really brings me to PSU is playing with my best friend who I never got the chance to play with in PSO (played DC at different times, hacking in BB ruined the fun, GC's appearantly lack of BBAs...)

Plus, the first thing I did before even logging on was forming a guild, so it's definately the team that brings me back for more.

Eternal_Drake
Nov 20, 2006, 11:33 PM
I loved PSO, but PSU is really just a timesink until I buy a computer then I am killing my subscrip probably

Gamemako
Nov 20, 2006, 11:33 PM
Wasting vast amounts of time, of course.

Garnet_Moon
Nov 20, 2006, 11:34 PM
Because I still don't have my Wii yet. ;x

AkiraXxx
Nov 21, 2006, 12:14 AM
I play, because there is no such thing as a FREE mmo. All free mmo's have some nich to were you have to buy shit in order to be as strong as everyone else. In the end you will most likely end up spening more then 30$ a month on a FREE mmo, for shit you basicly need in order to level and be as strong as everyone else. So in the end I decided, wow what the fuck, I might as well just get a game thats p2p since im basicly doing that shit anyways. And since psu is only 10$ and I did have over 600 hours clocked in on damn OFFLINE mode on the old pso, I figured hell why not.

Genobee
Nov 21, 2006, 12:21 AM
because Battlefield 2142 hasn't come in the mail yet http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Vorpal
Nov 21, 2006, 12:22 AM
Not quite sure.

But once I started using the spear, it got even more enjoyable.

SolRiver
Nov 21, 2006, 12:23 AM
Action + strategy/tactic = my game.

For the case of PSU, I was heavily drawn by the redone on polearm weapons. For once polearm is not misunderstood in a game. Also, I love like the sci-fi of PSO, unlike most sci-fi which are often dirty and ugly; this one is clean and neat.

PA was sweet too.

However, in these sense, I am really playing PSU as if I would to play another PSO. While the reason I liked PSO aside the sci-fi, would be that it allowed me to become something I can not in normal life.

A game that play out every day life would be the most retarded game in my opinion. If I can get a coffee from my coffee machine in real life, why the hell would I want to do it in the game? That applies to sport games as well, if I can play basketball in real life, why play video game for it?

Maskim
Nov 21, 2006, 12:23 AM
I had to pick the PS experience, as I think it's really the combat system, as well as a game set in the universe of one of my favorite rpg series. Loved Phantasy Star since Master System.

Garnet_Moon
Nov 21, 2006, 12:38 AM
Couldn't really call myself a PS fan if I skipped this game now could I? ;x

Tay
Nov 21, 2006, 12:51 AM
Going into peoples rooms and asking if they're having a man party without me.

Sydz
Nov 21, 2006, 12:56 AM
Cause its Fun?

Garroway
Nov 21, 2006, 01:04 AM
It's sort of sad but I play PSU because I'm trying to recapture something important that I lost in my youth. I played a MUD called Carrionfields with several of my real life friends when I was younger (like 11 years ago now I think). It was a good time in my life. Nostalgia aside, I remember being content back then. I joined the Army when I was 17 and left all of that behind me, and unsurprisingly found that everything was different when I finnaly came home. I didn't mean too but I had drifted away from my old friends despite wishing every minute of my enlistment that I could come home and be with them again. Ironicaly I now wish I had stayed as I not only lost my childhood friends but also those that were forged during my stay at Ft Campbell. I play PSU even though nobody is there to play with anymore because I don't know what else to do. It reminds me of a better time, in a sad, taunting sort of way,

I guess that was a little personnal, but it's too late now.

Flunky
Nov 21, 2006, 01:05 AM
Probably the part I like most about the PSO/PSU series is the combat system (I even liked ep. 3's system, but that's a different story).

The combination of the relatively fast pace, the skill-based dodging and such, no 'auto-attack and wait', and (for some reason a big part I like) the placing of this system on a close camera. You could argue the Diablo series had a kinda similar system (it even had the dodging, kinda), but the combination of this combat system in RPG system with the close camera is the sort of thing I just wuv.

I also like the world (though at times I do wish it were a little less neon, heh) and the challenge in the more difficult missions. In WoW difficult usually meant crunching numbers in a raid for max dps/threat/healing blah. In PSU, it's rather like a chaotic melee where you've got to focus on your current situation while taking into account in the corner of your eye how everybody else is faring. Provide support as necessary (and each class in their own ways)- as silly as it sounds, combat in PSU feels more 'realistic' than that of just about any other MMOish thing.

Dre_o
Nov 21, 2006, 01:08 AM
Why? Because I can.

Blu_Swade
Nov 21, 2006, 01:11 AM
I play because I loved PSO so much, I haven't played the old PS games, though, I'd like to.
I love how PSO fixed the few things that held PSO back, but then they took out some of the good stuff too... ;_;
PSU is an excellent game, and once I have a steady income and the proper hardware, I'm so goin' online!
Gurhal better prepare itself for The Magnificent Ronin Cooper!
Yoush!
(how in the world do I manage to work a rant into my every post? XD)

KiteWolfwood
Nov 21, 2006, 01:12 AM
Eh I guess it would be for nostalgia. I played PSO for a good chunk of my life and I guess I was hoping PSU would bring back that something that PSO gave me.

daylight129
Nov 21, 2006, 05:10 AM
Because PSO rocked my socks.

Tuxedose
Nov 21, 2006, 06:19 AM
On 2006-11-20 21:56, Sydz wrote:
Cause its Fun?

Yeah me to. I play Psu as long as I still think it will be fun. And I will play alot of other games at the side of psu that are fun. However Psu is my favorite game rigth now cause its so much fun. Should have had cause its fun as an alternitive http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif.

Saphion
Nov 21, 2006, 06:21 AM
To have fun with people. I remember about halfway through PSO GC's lifespan, the actual communication with people actually overtook the need to play.

I spent more time chatting to folk than killing things.

Ah... those were the days.

Ogni-XR21
Nov 21, 2006, 07:01 AM
Comraderie!

Playing in a group of people you know (irl) or get to know online. Otherwise I could as well play extra-mode...

Katrina
Nov 21, 2006, 07:32 AM
I play for a lot of reasons. I play for the characters, I love the way my character looks and plays. Some other onlines I couldn't get into my characters. I like the looks and customability.

I play for rares. I've always enjoyed finding that special rare, and the excitement it brings. Granted, while there's not much out there at the moment, I'm looking forward to seeing what's coming with each patch. Succesfully grinding or synthing a new weapon or rare falls in hand with this as well.

I play for the interesting people you can meet here on these boards, and in the game. I'm a naturally shy person irl, but it's nice meeting new ppl, and new friends in the game. I play for the entertainment from some of the conversations I've popped in on at random.

I play for the long term expectations I have for the game. I'm always excited come patch time, and looking down the road at what's coming keeps me coming back.

I play for the combat, which I enjoy more then any MMO I've played. I love PSU's combat system, and am looking forward to trying all the different weapons, guns, and techs to find what suits me best.

There's many reasons why I play and enjoy PSU, and I've touched on a few. To sum it all up, I play because i enjoy the game, and it's fun.

Mystil
Nov 21, 2006, 09:06 AM
Because I love this game - maybe a little too much, but I do.

Kent
Nov 21, 2006, 09:16 AM
Well... Probably the same reason I played PSO so much - the overall experience.

It's much faster-paced that most online RPGs are (even most other non-MMO ones), and you can actually manually move about the combat area to evade attacks, which makes it feel a lot less monotonous, that the combat in general is so much deeper in that it's far more action-oriented, whereas other forms of online RPGs (such as MMOs, which are completely different) are often deeper in that they're slower-paced and more methodical. The whole 'thinking on your feet' thing is what makes PSO/U really fun.

The fact that it's Phantasy Star isn't what makes me play it, though. While they were some good RPGs in the Genesis era, PSO as an individual game, is what got me playing PSU (as well as general interest in PSO got me into playing it).

Quark713
Nov 21, 2006, 09:54 AM
I play simply for the entertainment factor. I don't see any purpose in playing for a long time, but I enjoy it. I enjoy being the odd one out on everything, and with the character customisation in this game, it makes me just want to remake characters over. And over.