PDA

View Full Version : What? That was all?!! OMG! {Unmarked Spoilers ahead}

Garnet_Moon
Nov 20, 2006, 11:29 PM
UNMARKED SPOILERS AHEAD!

READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

IF YOU GET SPOILED YOU HAVE ONLY YOURSELF TO BLAME!!!

SO DON'T SAY IT'S MY FAULT, CURIOUS GEORGE!!!!

So I just beat story mode.

I entered the final dungeon at lv51, and beat the game at lv57. I dinged to 57 when I beat the boss.

All it took was one and a half Bone Dancers' Tornado Dance PA spam drains for the first part, and then 2/3 of a 3rd Bone Dancer for the 2nd part. Difficulty; or lack there of, aside, I enjoyed it... especially when those little penguins where doing backflips and jumping all around the place like ninjas. Can't wait for NA to get the HIVE in network mode. :^)

OK, my question... is that ending was kind of... eh... well... kind of short and felt somewhat rushed. Does Karen go back to being the Divine Maiden? Does she leave those duties to the Light Master and go back to the GUARDIANS since Ethan all but proposed to her?

A happy ending in my eyes, is Ethan getting together with Karen when she goes back to the Guardians. I don't see why Rutsu can't become the symbol of hope for a new era of peace... I think it'd work.

This ending felt more like a sorrowful happy goodbye, than a happy ending. I can't quite explain it, but I get the feeling that if Karen goes back to being the Divine Maiden she won't ever be happy again.

Does this get continued in the network mode story missions? Or are those just random occurances from different parts of story mode, and not after the ending? Will the expansion pack gimme the happy ending I seek? Will it? C'mon, Karen deserves this. >.<

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2006-11-20 20:32 ]</font>

FenixStryk
Nov 20, 2006, 11:34 PM
LOL, "Karen deserves this". As far as you can tell, she just misses Ethan. In no way did they ever go out or acknowledge any feelings they had for eachother whatsoever, besides the rare "Us going out? No way!" expressions.

This also brings up the question, WHY did Magashi even do what he did? They don't give you even the slightest clue or reason.

The story was just a string of tragic deaths with no real happy endings in between. the Maiden, Lou 2XX, not to mention two A-photon Researchers, Maya's only soulmate, and, of course, that kid's Gol Dolva. Where's the happy stuff?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FenixStryk on 2006-11-20 20:38 ]</font>

Gamemako
Nov 20, 2006, 11:34 PM
Hello, expansion pack!

Wouldn't surprise me to see them ask you to pay 30 bucks to see what happens with Karen and Ethan. But maybe they'll add hybrid races and cast you in the role of their children! (Fat chance.)

Garnet_Moon
Nov 20, 2006, 11:35 PM
On 2006-11-20 20:34, FenixStryk wrote:
LOL, "Karen deserves this". As far as you can tell, she just misses Ethan. In no way did they ever go out or acknowledge any feelings they had for eachother whatsoever, besides the rare "Us going out? No way!" expressions.

The ending was a bummer, though. Poor Maya.

No, they pretty much said they loved each other. As for Maya? Meh. I never really liked her anyway.

Zorafim
Nov 20, 2006, 11:51 PM
Maya was an airhead character. She was also a smart person character. I have no idea how those two go so well together.

Anyway, the ending was the only part of the game I didn't like. Like you said, it was rushed. Ethan was proclaimed a hero despite the fact that all he did was save a couple of people's lives. Magashi did the traditional villain's role despite the fact that he didn't really do anything evil. Really, I hope the game is expanded upon. When's the first online story mission?

Numnuttz
Nov 21, 2006, 12:03 AM
i think karen is the divine maiden in network mode. from what ive seen i think the story continues in network mode.

ViciousXUSMC
Nov 21, 2006, 01:03 AM
yes there have "story missions" online that will be released uventully.

The ending was kinda iffy, all those cool CG's and a pretty good story they could have done more with it.

More importantly tho, they should have made the game longer and gone into more detail on magashi, why he joined the seed, or how. why he wants to take over the world, ect ect.

All you know is he is a bad guy http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

The end feels so "Macross Remember Me Love" style have the hive deal, the big evil guy, all the big lasers to blow it up ect ect.

BooChan
Nov 21, 2006, 01:27 AM
Yeah the ending was a bit disappointing. But the story mode and game in general was rushed in my opinion. I'm sure when the PSU project was under Naka he had a grand vision for the game. But I think near the end of the games development he was no longer in charge of the project. Matter a fact he no longer works for Sega.

Itsuki
Nov 21, 2006, 01:29 AM
Will the expansion pack gimme the happy ending I seek? Will it? C'mon, Karen deserves this. >.<
It pains me when I hear things like this. People need to understand that sega has never announced an expansion pack, and thinking that there will be one any time soon is naive.

It does get continued in Episode 2 (online story mode), but I'm not sure how much of an ending you'll really get out of the online story mode.

BooChan
Nov 21, 2006, 01:36 AM
Sega never announced an expansion pac for PSO either. But after about 9 months PSO ver 2 popped out. Its kind of inevitable that Sega wiil put out an expansion pack.

Blu_Swade
Nov 21, 2006, 01:43 AM
i think with magashi it was that he had been killed and somehow infected and resurected by SEED and took to controlling it, I mean the attacks on the relic sites? Endrum Collective was formed to protect those sites, they doubtless had some idea what was in there, also with endrum taken down what was left for him? all he had left was to take revenge on those who had brought about his downfall. I don't see what's so confusing...

SolRiver
Nov 21, 2006, 02:13 AM
The entire network mode pretty much take palce after the story mode, as the tower are lit (in the global lobby after the mission endrum remmants), and the endrum collective disbanded and scattered through out places we don't know. While no more SEED (maybe not?)

I don't know what is with the last boss in offline mode, he was doing at max 25 dmg to me, while I was pounding him with 300-600 per hit with spear PA spam. The only boss I had a little troulbe is SEED-Magashi, as he kept spamming that spin kick and I couldn't get close often enough.

I am hoping they just offer download for PC version if they were to get out an expansion, save me few bucks for shipping or traveling to get it.

Also, I entered last stage at 51 and end at 57 as well O.o

btw, last I heard, Yuji Naka has his own studio and is working very closely with SEGA.

Blu_Swade
Nov 21, 2006, 02:21 AM
On 2006-11-20 23:13, SolRiver wrote:
The entire network mode pretty much take palce after the story mode, as the tower are lit (in the global lobby after the mission endrum remmants), and the endrum collective disbanded and scattered through out places we don't know. While no more SEED (maybe not?)

I don't know what is with the last boss in offline mode, he was doing at max 25 dmg to me, while I was pounding him with 300-600 per hit with spear PA spam. The only boss I had a little troulbe is SEED-Magashi, as he kept spamming that spin kick and I couldn't get close often enough.

I am hoping they just offer download for PC version if they were to get out an expansion, save me few bucks for shipping or traveling to get it.

Also, I entered last stage at 51 and end at 57 as well O.o

btw, last I heard, Yuji Naka has his own studio and is working very closely with SEGA.

it's funny I completely blasted Magashi SEED and got S-Rank, scored a unit, but forgot what kind...

BooChan
Nov 21, 2006, 02:25 AM
SEGA owns 20% of Yuji Naka's company.

SolRiver
Nov 21, 2006, 02:58 AM
I think the offline bosses are very unstable in terms of their ability.

I had one death out of no where right before the SEED magashi boss (the tall walking wood with rainbow color), as all of sudden he pounded me with 400-600 per hit with around 5-6 hits within 2 sec, I couldn't do anything. Then I came back from the save file and just slaughtered him =/

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 21, 2006, 03:39 AM
I have a feeling that the offline story mode has a few deliberate plot holes, and the whole 'what does Karen do next?' situation just reeks of a cliff hanger, which seems to me like yet another way that SEGA are trying to coax offline gamers onto the network mode - funny how they show a small segment basically advertising network mode and trying to encourage people to play online - just on the offchange that folks hadn't decided to at that point, desperation maybe?

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure that more details of both the backstory and 'what happens next' will be seen and unveiled in forthcoming online story quests.

-

Concerning Magashi, I believe they left him vague on purpose, with the spoiler warning on the first post I believe it should be safe for me to describe what I imagine he was all about http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

This is a long story, most of it just guesswork and stuff from me but let's see how much sense you folks make of it:

-

It all begins with the 3 'seals' of each planet - definately a reference to the method used in other Phantasy Star games for how the Profound Darkness was sealed away - infact the same effect is seen, when all the seals are activated all the SEED are sealed away in a pocket dimension.

Of course this could only be done when the three planets are in perfect alignment. That single moment would decide the fate of the Gurhal system as either the people would reactivate the seals and banish the SEED for another 1000 years, or the best opportunity for the seals be completely destroyed allowing the Profound Darkness to escape.

Over the course of 1000 years, the seal itself becomes weaker and weaker until eventually the Profound Darkness is able to send a small fragment of itself into the universe with the main goal to sabotage the seal and release itself from it's prison. That fragment has been known by many names over the ages, but is more commonly referred to as 'Dark Force' or 'Dark Falz'.

While immensely powerful in and of itself, DF main method of attack is infiltration and deception - capable of overcoming, posessing and assuming the form of any biological or mechanical entity it deems worthy and useful for it's task.

Before the SEED attack on the Guardians Colony, DF had already escaped and lay in wait - until it found the inactive body of a lone CAST. Accessing the memory files of the CAST, DF discovered that this was the body of a high ranking commander of a team of space pirates known as the Endrum collective.

DF posessed the body of the CAST, known as Renvolt Magashi, and returned to Endrum. DF wanted to conceal his actions of sabotaging the seal and freeing the Profound Darkness, by posessing the body of Magashi he sucessfully diverted attention away from himself - while everyone believed his actions were for the Endrum collective in reality they were not.

Magashi (DF) was aware that the power of A-Photons could be used as a magnet to draw beings like himself to any particular point, so he kidnapped the Gurhal system's leading A-Photon scientists and ordered them to convert an orbiting asteroid into one large A-Photon reactor. By creating such a large reactor he believed that this, combined with the current weak state of the Profound Darkness' seal, would be enough to draw the entire Profound Darkness through the portal at the time when the seal was weakest. He put the asteroid (henceforth known as the Hive) on a trajectory that drew it closer to the center of the system and timed it's arrival to coincide with the moment the seal would be weakest.

Meanwhile, Magashi frequently visited the planets in the system and attempted to gather up more and more A-Photon reactors, and also to cover up his own tracks by killing those that were suspicious of his intentions.

During one of those visits, Magashi is apparently killed by Ethan Waber - yet the power of DF does not die so easily, and the posessed Magashi eventually recovers through the powers of his posessor. Later, Magashi and Waber meet again. Ethan could not believe that Magashi was still alive, but the CAST explained that the power of SEED brought him back. This is DF talking through Magashi, although still attempting to remain in disguise somewhat.

Later, aboard the Hive, Magashi and Ethan fight yet again, and once again Magashi is defeated. Within moments of his plan coming to fruition, and with a realisation that the form of Magashi was too weak to stop those who could very well halt his plans, DF becomes desperate - and completely drops his Magashi disguise, instead taking on a form much different, much larger and much closer to his true form - a posessed and disfigured form of Magashi bonded with the power of Dark Falz - Dulk Fakis.

A savage battle ensued, but Ethan and his fellow Guardians were victorious and DF android body was severely damaged. As DF became weaker, the battle resumed upon the great seal itself. DF cast of much of his android form and recovered enough strength for a second battle.

The long fight ended with DF power being severely weakened and all remaining remnants of Magashi being utterly destroyed - with his power reducing rapidly and the seal at full strength Dark Falz was pulled back across the void to be rejoin the Profound Darkness in it's pocket dimension prison for another 1000 years.

-

All in all I believe we never really got to see the 'true' Renvolt Magashi - as I suspect he was posessed by the power of Dark Falz all along.

He's basically the 'Lassic' of this story.

I suspect that we will uncover more details of his backstory, the real Magashi might be revealed in future story quests - perhaps hinting as to the details of his original posession (since it's left unknown during the duration of the offline story).

Hope I made sense and didn't bore you too much http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

daylight129
Nov 21, 2006, 04:40 AM
A. Maya was not an Airhead character.
B. Obviously they leave a lot of open ends because of the story missions they plan to release which will probably be the answer to your problems with the the story mode.
C. There will be an expansion. It's not a rumor.
D. THOU SHALT NOT MAKE FUN OF MAYA!.

Personally I don't see Ethan and Karens as a love relationship or whatever. To me they rub off as just being real good friends, but whatever, if you want to force a love story in to the plot it's your take.

And you can't really say Magashi was posessed by Dark Falz. He was posessed by the Dark Force or the profound darkness. Dark Falz is just the name of the enemy you get when you put Red Ring Rico and the Dark Force in a blender. Dark Falz isn't the name of the entity.

There is definetly a huge urge to want to bond the Dark Force with this whole situation but there isn't enough hard fact yet revealed to connect these 2 mishaps. Just going to have to be patient and find out http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: daylight129 on 2006-11-21 01:44 ]</font>

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 21, 2006, 04:53 AM
And you can't really say Magashi was posessed by Dark Falz. He was posessed by the Dark Force or the profound darkness. Dark Falz is just the name of the enemy you get when you put Red Ring Rico and the Dark Force in a blender. Dark Falz isn't the name of the entity.

The end boss of PS1 was Dark Force, but ended up being translated as 'Dark Falz'. The two popular theories are that it was an accidental mistranslation or they were saving space on the cartridge - at least originally the two were meant to be the same entity (or type of entity).

It wasn't until PS4 came out that they decided to retcon the whole Falz/Force thing by including enemies that resembled the original Dark Falz called Prophallus which makes people think Pro-Falz, hence Dark Falz being a weaker and less powerful Dark Force in some folks opinion.

It's never been explicitly stated whether or not Falz and Force are indeed different - but Dark Falz in PSO definately seemed larger and more powerful than any Prophallus http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

-

Actually this whole Falz/Force debate matters little, it's clear that "Dulk Fakis" is an amalgamation of Magashi and Dark Falz/Force (whichever). It's never been referred to as either in the game so far, it's the common DF behaviour:

Posessed Lassic in PS1
Posessed Rico in PSO (both these were FALZ)
Posessed Magashi in PSU (?)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Uncle_Pobatti on 2006-11-21 01:58 ]</font>

daylight129
Nov 21, 2006, 04:57 AM
Meh. That still doesn't prove that it is connected with SEED.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: daylight129 on 2006-11-21 01:59 ]</font>

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 21, 2006, 05:19 AM
On 2006-11-21 01:57, daylight129 wrote:
Meh. That still doesn't prove that it is connected with SEED.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: daylight129 on 2006-11-21 01:59 ]</font>

Well it looks as though no two Phantasy Stars will ever be connected again lol http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

You see, since it's clearly part of the PS storyline that the Profound Darkness attempts to escape it's prison once every 1000 years by releasing a portion of itself (Dark Falz/Force), with each generation being 1000 years away from the last encounter much information will be lost and forgotten over time.

The name SEED is what the Guardians of the Gurahl system at the time of PSU chose to call the race of infected creatures due to them arriving in SEED shaped capsules that transmit the D-Factor around the planets and infect creatures via pollen type material.

In PSO, the scientists never found these SEEDs since the infection was spread out from deep within the ancient ruins of the planet not needing to travel in space to get there - but they were able to conduct tests on these creatures and decided to call them D-Cellular Sublifeforms.

Basically, each generation has to conduct research from the ground up and ends up giving the creatures different names each time - meaning that it's hard for us to absolutely prove that they are one and the same, even though common sense (based on bits and pieces we know) and their general appearence, dark attribute and even name (DelSaban??) tell us they are.

It's obvious that we're gonna have to make our own minds up on this one unless further updates allow us to explore Ragol again and I somehow doubt that.

As far as the rest of the theory, it's clear that Sonic Team have been brushing up quite a bit on past Phantasy Star lore, so it seems fair to suggest that given the fragments of info that we get from the game that certain aspects are a given.

daylight129
Nov 21, 2006, 05:23 AM
They also specifically state that PSU is taking place 17 or so years (19?) after PSO. And they state it specifically. So if the game was not connected, why would they need to clarify how long it's been since the events of PSO? Lol wait a second I just switched sides. >_>

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 21, 2006, 05:35 AM
On 2006-11-21 02:23, daylight129 wrote:
They also specifically state that PSU is taking place 17 or so years (19?) after PSO. And they state it specifically. So if the game was not connected, why would they need to clarify how long it's been since the events of PSO? Lol wait a second I just switched sides. >_>

An interesting little fact there I had no previous knowledge of before http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

At first glance my responce was that since Dark Falz/Force can only escape every 1000 years then where would this second one come from?

Upon pondering that for a few seconds it hit me - the DF from PSO must have escaped around 980 years ago, but had remained trapped inside the ancient spaceship (Ruins) for that long. The one that posesses Magashi would therefore be a seperate one that was due to be unleashed around the time of PSU.

This should enable some folks (especially those who believe that the Ruins are the remains of a WorldShip that fled the destruction of Parma) to finally assign tentative dates for the events of PSO and PSU and slot them into cannon so to speak.

And what about Parum? Remember in the original PS series there emerged a fouth planet (Rykuros?), perhaps they renamed the planet in honour of the original Parma that was destroyed - so Moatoob and Neudaiz could indeed be current (PSU era) interpretations of the names of planets Mota and Dezolis http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Saner
Nov 21, 2006, 06:15 AM
I thought the ending was much better than many RPGs out there that just end abuptly and explain nothing at all.

it was in fact a happy ending, it's obvious Karen and Ethan will hook up eventually at some point. and talking to the other characters, you can get a clear hint to what they'll be doing in the future. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

as for final boss difficulty, try beating it without healing AT ALL, and using your lowest damage weapon and without using PAs. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-11-21 03:15 ]</font>

Saphion
Nov 21, 2006, 06:16 AM
Both Ethan and Karen (as well as the Vol brothers) make an appearance in the first chapter of the online story missions.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saphion on 2006-11-21 03:16 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Nov 21, 2006, 08:31 AM
Will the expansion pack gimme the happy ending I seek? Will it? C'mon, Karen deserves this. >.<

Hopefully not... and IMO, Karen should have died. There were a lot of character deaths along the way already, yes, but they were mostly shallow and without meaning. They just died as a weak plot device. Karen, on the other hand, is a very intregal character to both Ethan and the overall storyline. Her death would have been a profound and significant loss. Instead though - they kill her sister and remove Karen from the storyline.

The concept of self-sacrifice that Nei, Alys Brangwyn, and even Rico layed is still very much in place - since Karen, in a way, does die. She says goodbye to her past life, and takes on the life of a totally different person in order to give the people of the Gurhal system hope.

While this is neat - it doesn't seem to affect the player (or at least me) in the same way that Nei or Alys's sacrifices have. After all, Karen is still alive, and could (and does) return to help out. Nei, Rico, & Alys's sacrifices were a bit more - permenant.

and the endrum collective disbanded and scattered through out places we don't know. While no more SEED (maybe not?)

Megashi and the Endrum - as well as the SEED are very much alive and well. This is foreshadowed a bit by Lou's deaths... but Megashi isn't the Endrum Harness. he is simply an... extension of it. Hence, why he could die multiple times and keep comming back.

That single moment would decide the fate of the Gurhal system as either the people would reactivate the seals and banish the SEED for another 1000 years, or the best opportunity for the seals be completely destroyed allowing the Profound Darkness to escape.

To the best of our knowladge, there is no Profound Darkness in PSU. She isn't what is sealed behind Gurhal. IIRC, the SeeD do not appear in millenial cycles either. Rather, the ancient civilization FUBARed the sealing attempt and destoryed themselves. Without their A-Photon reactors chuggin away, the SeeD left. 14,000 years passed, and it wasn't until the current civilization rediscovered the A-Photon reactors that the SeeD returned. This time, the seal worked correctly - but not all the remenants of SeeD were banished. The Hive still remained, as well as many other stations of SeeD infestation I'm sure - hence the current online predicement.

Before the SEED attack on the Guardians Colony, DF had already escaped and lay in wait - until it found the inactive body of a lone CAST. Accessing the memory files of the CAST, DF discovered that this was the body of a high ranking commander of a team of space pirates known as the Endrum collective.

It is quite possible that Dark Falz, or a representation of his character type, has been along with Megashi the entire time in Storyline mode. Still.. it doesn't explain Megashi's personal motiviations for his actions. In previous Phantasy Star games, the villan always had personal motivations. Lassic's was a fear of death and love of power (and later, revenge in PSIV). The Earthlings was the need for a new home, at any cost, and an arrogance in their technology. Rulakir was motivated by revenge against the decendants of those who killed his family in the Devistation War. In PSIV, well... it was the Profound Darkness herself. Zio was just a stepping-stone villan.

By creating such a large reactor he believed that this, combined with the current weak state of the Profound Darkness' seal, would be enough to draw the entire Profound Darkness through the portal at the time when the seal was weakest.

This doesn't really work since, as said, there was no weakening to the seal in the millenial cycle. The seal the ancients created worked perfectly - except that it didn't wipe out all of the SeeD, and that it destoryed them in the process. The Millenial cycle is a plot device from the original Phantasy Star games - and even then, the seal lasted for eons upon eons before it was finally and permenantly tore asunder by Lassic in his attempt to free a demon capable of granting him the power he desired.

To a lesser extent this also holds true for PSO, since although not cannonitically linked - it is possible to connect them through the events which transpire. PSU, from what I've seen, isn't like that. If PSU has ANY hope of being connected to the previous PS games - it would be as a prequal - and even then, it would be quite a large streach.

There is one other way - but I'm lothe to mention it until I hear more details from the online mode storylines.

It's never been explicitly stated whether or not Falz and Force are indeed different - but Dark Falz in PSO definately seemed larger and more powerful than any Prophallus

That right there is opening up a whole new can of worms as far as theories go - and it doesn't really relate to the PSU board. In short, Dark Falz in PSO is nothing more than a final enemy which was created to honor the Dark Falz/Forces of previous games. If you decide to connect the storylines, it's quite possible that Dark Falz in PSO is the NEW Profound Darkness, though in a much weakened state.

You see, since it's clearly part of the PS storyline that the Profound Darkness attempts to escape it's prison once every 1000 years by releasing a portion of itself (Dark Falz/Force), with each generation being 1000 years away from the last encounter much information will be lost and forgotten over time.

That tradition appears to have been broken with PSU. Not like tradition hasn't been broken before. Traditionally, there are no Male Numans, Megid is a hate based explosive technique, and casting techniques consumes technique points. All of these traditions, and many more, have been broken over the years. Sometimes within the original series itself.

In PSO, the scientists never found these SEEDs since the infection was spread out from deep within the ancient ruins of the planet not needing to travel in space to get there - but they were able to conduct tests on these creatures and decided to call them D-Cellular Sublifeforms.

Based on simple wild speculation - I wouldn't be apt to believe this. If you make the strech that the two storys are connected, it would be easier to say that SeeD is an advanced form of the G.E.R.M, which in and of itself is an evolution of the D-Cellular infection. It's at least a much more plausable explanation than to say that the scientists simply never found it.

As far as the rest of the theory, it's clear that Sonic Team have been brushing up quite a bit on past Phantasy Star lore, so it seems fair to suggest that given the fragments of info that we get from the game that certain aspects are a given.

From what I've seen, that's not quite the case. In PSO, though they never connected the storylines, the pieces were all there - with only one or two missing tidbits. For example, if connected, it's likely that PSO's Coral is the same planet Copto from Phantasy Star Gaiden. Many don't consider PS:G cannon - but it seems that there may be more to the story than previously thought.

In the (also unknown-cannonity) OutSide Saga, it's said that loyalists to Lasheic sabotaged Alys's royal spacecraft and it veered off course sending Alys and Lutz to Copto where she eventually founded a colony. While there, Lutz discovered "Techniques", and upon his return to Algol shared their secrets to the general populace. He himself, however, continued to use magic. The point of connection, while weak, is in the spell Faleli - which maes it's first appearance in Phantasy Star Gaiden. This spell never made an apperance in any PS game prior - but would return for PSIV as one of Rune Walsh's techniques. This shows that the design team of PSIV at least LOOKED at PS:Gaiden's storyline and quite possibly consider them to be connected, though not explicitly stated.

Again it's weak... but it's there.

In PSU though, I don't really see many connections to previous PS games - only similar circumstances which mirror those events which have happened in Algol at various points in the past. Nothing solid or concrete though - with the SeeD/Germ connection being the being the best lead we currently have.

They also specifically state that PSU is taking place 17 or so years (19?) after PSO.

Hmmm... I recall no such statement. It's certainly not stated ANYWHERE in the game itself.

the DF from PSO must have escaped around 980 years ago, but had remained trapped inside the ancient spaceship (Ruins) for that long. The one that posesses Magashi would therefore be a seperate one that was due to be unleashed around the time of PSU.

IIRC, PSO takes place in 3084, and PSIV takes place in 2284. That's 800 years time difference. Still, that doesn't matter since the seal from Algol was rendered meaningless after the destruction of the Profound Darkness. If the DF was still alive, he would not have to follow the millenial cycle. The 800 year gap in time between PSO and PS (should they be connected) is simply fanservice. If anything, the Dark Falz from PSO is the same Dark Force you fought in Phantasy Star III, if you consider that the Spaceship ruins of PSO are the remains of the Alisa III.

Then again.. the ruins could also be that of the Neo-Palm. In one ending, they recognise the disturbane about the Alisa III as an attack by Dark Force. This means they've had previous encounters with him in the past. If the two ships never met up, and the Neo Palm never had Nei weapons, it's possible that the best they could eventually do was just SEAL the ship up and leave it on a planet. Its likely that there were espers aboard, after all, since the general popultion of Algol had no knowladge of Dark Force/Falz. So those escaping aboard the the worlships wouldn't have known what they were fighting... nor would there be Nei Weapons (created by espers, mind you) aboard the Alisa III.

And what about Parum? Remember in the original PS series there emerged a fouth planet (Rykuros?), perhaps they renamed the planet in honour of the original Parma that was destroyed - so Moatoob and Neudaiz could indeed be current (PSU era) interpretations of the names of planets Mota and Dezolis

Impossible... Rykros is a crystalin planet on a highly eliptical orbit. It would have been almost easier to just reconstruct Palma from the asteroid belt.

Blu_Swade
Nov 21, 2006, 09:46 AM
weren't the original PS games made during the age of over-dubbing? (I mean back when they would have no qualms about changing the names of people and places just to make them sound less foreign). Perhaps this adds to the confusion...
Also, I don't think that SEED and The Germ are the same thing, especially not the SEED being an advanced form of The Germ, seeing as though it had the capacity to cause mutation in ALL living things AND the ability to infect computer programming and objects. I do hope that they have a link between the plotlines, but I dunno'...
The final form of Magashi was familiar, I hope it wasn't merely a tribute...

Po-Fu
Nov 21, 2006, 10:09 AM
Hrm. Could it possibly be that the Gurhal system and the Ragol system and every other system are nothing more than in the same Galaxy? And that it could be that PSO could be going on in another part of the galaxy, while PSU is going on? And while the people are similar, (The PC characters) could only mean there is a loose connection between the people of Gurhal, and the people of the Pioneers?

To further add to my speculation of all of this:

1) In PSO, there is no such thing as religion, nothing at all really. And as our own earth history teaches us, religion, and politics are quite posibly the two biggest dividers of people. Perhaps the People of Gurhal and the people of the Pioneers were at one time co-existant, but seperated, still remaining in contact? I dunno, it's just a theory.

2) The undeynable fact that the main races are still the same, with the addition of the beast characters. Which leads me to believe that PSU is a prequil, Continuation, or has nothing to do with any previous PS, excepting that it steals the technology level, and some of the language.

But my take on it is that if the 'profound darkness' is so large, why would it focus on only one place every once in a while? IF I were that big and that evil, I would be working in more places than one. But that's just me.

Sinue_v2
Nov 21, 2006, 10:14 AM
weren't the original PS games made during the age of over-dubbing? (I mean back when they would have no qualms about changing the names of people and places just to make them sound less foreign

That's right. There's many instances of this happening even up to Phantasy Star IV. Most well known is the Noah - Lutz switch, which caused a lot of confusion when PSII introduced the starship Noah and the name had to be changed back to it's original Lutz. Also, Perolimates from PSI were the predecesors to Mono/Di/Tri-mates. In the US version, they were known as Burgers, though they've come back in PSU as Proli Mate, a 1-2 star (not sure) food item.

One of the most profound changes was when they modified the backstory to the Profound Darkness and Great Light. In the Japanese version, they weren't a singular being. They were a race of spiritual beings who waged a civil war. Originally, the Profound Darkness wasn't a singular being, or evil.. but it became that way over millions of years of inprisonment. However in the US version, they were seen as a singular god who split into two - good and evil, and the good side banished the evil to another dimension.

This change was made because the US audience that Sega was marketing PSIV to was largely monotheistic, and thought to not really grasp the concept of multiple spiritual entities. In the JP version, Re-Faze and the other Guardians were the last known reminants of this spiritual race. (Without being trapped, the Great Light never congeiled into a singular being). In the US version, they are seen as simply scentinals and representative of a larger being - much like angels are seen as messangers of the christian god.

Also, I don't think that SEED and The Germ are the same thing, especially not the SEED being an advanced form of The Germ, seeing as though it had the capacity to cause mutation in ALL living things AND the ability to infect computer programming and objects.

Megashi is himself a computer system.. and the SeeD has shown the ability to merge and warp inorganic material. The SeeD hive is very reminicent to the last few levels of the PSO Ruins.

1) In PSO, there is no such thing as religion, nothing at all really. And as our own earth history teaches us, religion, and politics are quite posibly the two biggest dividers of people. Perhaps the People of Gurhal and the people of the Pioneers were at one time co-existant, but seperated, still remaining in contact?

I tend to reguard this as simply a nod to the Dezolians of old. Like the Numans of PSU, the Dezolians worshiped the light. Once every one thousand years, the spiritual energy of Rykros would react with a rare mental found on Dezolis called Laconium (barely mentioned in PSO as "Rakonia") and causes it to glow faintly green. Rykros would also eclypse Motavia - and a torch was light on these holy nights which would later be known as the Eclypse Torch.

Of all the races of Algol, only the Dezolians religeon reflected the true purpose of the protectors of Algol.

Espers are also a psuedo-religeous organization which parallels and is respectful of Dezolian religous institutions - and Lutz has the same sort of "Foresight" ability we see Mirei Mikuna display durring PSU's opening cinematics.

Note: Palmans were also religeous, and they had churches which resembled our catholic establishments. (an unintentional reference, but using well known symbols of organized religeon to designate churches) However this religeon was apperantly banned or left derelict after the comming of Mother Brain. Lassic apperantly was a high priest and advisor to Aures Landale before comming to power, though it's not stated what religeon he was originally a part of. Most likely it was an ancient fractured branch of the same Dezolian religeon since his study of it is thought to have lead to Lassic's discovery of the truth behind Algol.

The undeynable fact that the main races are still the same, with the addition of the beast characters.

The races aren't the same.

Human are of course, as humans always are.

Numans underwent many substancial biological and cultural changes.

Casts are now able to use techniques, wereas before they could not aside from the rare instance of Cyborgs like Myau/Miun. Starting with PSO, they also began developing more human emotions and characterisations. Wren, Wren, & Demi were fairly emotionless and logical beings. Meiu was more personable, but again - she was a special case. Casts have probably undergone the least amount of change.

Beasts are a brand new race.

Dezolians are no longer present as of PSO.

Motavians are no longer present as of PSO.

Musk Cats are no longer present as of PSO.

But my take on it is that if the 'profound darkness' is so large, why would it focus on only one place every once in a while? IF I were that big and that evil, I would be working in more places than one. But that's just me.

It's not like the Profound Darkness had much of a choice. The Algol Solar System is the gateway between dimensions, and Algol itself the door to it's cell. SHE didn't choose to only try to break out every once in a while - the seal had a flaw which weakened it once every 1,000 years. For most of it's imprisonment, the seal was stable even when weak. It wasn't until an outside force, Lassic, broke that seal ever so slightly, that the Profound Darkness could exploit the weakness to try to release itself.

Though I do understand what you're saying... it was a whole other dimension the PD was trapped in. Perhaps there were more than one exit? Maybe... but neither PSO or PSU (from what we've seen) focus on anything escaping that planetary seal. In PSO, it's already out, and sealed in a space ship as a last resort. In PSU, the game deals with trapping the SeeD within a similar seal - not anything trying to escape out of it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-11-21 07:45 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-11-21 07:57 ]</font>