PDA

View Full Version : So anybody actully isolated the slowdown cause?

ViciousXUSMC
Nov 21, 2006, 03:24 AM
Just wondering if anybody has figured out what exactly in the patch caused the slowdown effect alot of us are suffering from.

It must be somthing to do with how the textures are rendered, not sure.

I play with all settings maxed in window mode and never had issues before, a solid 60 fps. Now in the heat of battle with team members and monsters near me I get slowdown usually when casting a flashy spell like resta/reverse close to my screen. I have not run a fps check while it happens yet to see if the actual fps is going down or the game is just slowing down. My machine is pretty fast so I dont see what change could have caused this.

Strange they would let somthing like this happen when it happened in the JP version first, esp when supposedly in a patch or two it gets fixed, you would think they would intergrate that fix into the first patch to avoid all the problems.

I for one am stubborn and will not turn down my settings to fix it, and I only get it once in a blue moon for a short period of time so its not a huge deal.

AlMcFly
Nov 21, 2006, 03:42 AM
The massive "after-update" slowdown I was experiencing (mainly in the Parum and Neudaiz missions) actually disappeared sometime in the last few days. Everything seems to be back to what it was before the update. I am a happy camper now. ;P

SpishackCola
Nov 21, 2006, 03:44 AM
Slow down is somewhat gone for me, but the massive interblock loading time remains http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

pkazama
Nov 21, 2006, 04:02 AM
yeah loading interblock is still an issue with me. never had in stage sowdowns though

ViciousXUSMC
Nov 21, 2006, 04:04 AM
Im just the opposite, I have not noticed any extra time at all for loading, everything loads in a blink of an eye.

Ether
Nov 21, 2006, 05:16 AM
Ok, I think I know what it is. In the graphics settings, you can choose between normal and compressed textures. Both look exactly the same in game, but since the update, I noticed that normal runs a lot slower in areas like Mizuraki, while compressed runs the game better, but gives longer load times. Sort of an evil trade off

Ogni-XR21
Nov 21, 2006, 06:00 AM
I think its turned of midmapping that causes the slowdowns (at least for me), don't have a problem with loading though.

Btw. didn't the slowdowns return in the japanese version with the last update? (Kyori mentioned that in another forum, if it the same Kyori that is...)

EC_Subbie
Nov 21, 2006, 06:05 AM
This must've been a really poorly coded port.. There shouldn't be any framerate issues to begin with. It's amazing that there are when the 360 can run something like Gears of War at perfectly smooth framerates.

ViciousXUSMC
Nov 21, 2006, 06:16 AM
well the compressed/non compressed textures is more of a system memory deal.

if they are not compressed they are all loaded up right away and stored in memory so they are ready to access when they come on scree.

if they are compressed they are not taking up as much memory but require your system to load them when they come on screen.

AkiraXxx
Nov 21, 2006, 07:51 AM
The slow down is due to the server compensation on high end PC users with PS2 users. A ps2 cant be at a crawl, while the PC blazes through, it would be too out of sync. If you get in an ALL PC party you shouldnt be slowing down at all.

Damaged
Nov 21, 2006, 08:02 AM
On 2006-11-21 04:51, AkiraXxx wrote:
The slow down is due to the server compensation on high end PC users with PS2 users. A ps2 cant be at a crawl, while the PC blazes through, it would be too out of sync. If you get in an ALL PC party you shouldnt be slowing down at all.

Then why does the 360 experience slowdowns?

hrmm?

This theory is flawed.

tirith
Nov 21, 2006, 08:07 AM
and i've gotten slow down on my pc soloing <was in a hallway with nothing else around at the time /boggle>

Shiro_Ryuu
Nov 21, 2006, 08:12 AM
I have never had a hint of slowdown after the new patch.

Mystil
Nov 21, 2006, 08:48 AM
I always associate slowdowns with rendering issues since it's usually the problem with PC games. Anyone who's played Oblivion on a low end card knows all about that.

AkiraXxx
Nov 21, 2006, 09:42 AM
On 2006-11-21 05:02, Damaged wrote:

hrmm?

This theory is flawed.

hmmmmmm maybe because all the 360 server only have 360's? Any slowdown there is due to your shitty connection.

Your quick reply is fail.

Para
Nov 21, 2006, 09:43 AM
On 2006-11-21 01:02, pkazama wrote:
yeah loading interblock is still an issue with me. never had in stage sowdowns though

I too have interblock loading issues as well.

And that compressed textures explanation does not add up right... I have a decent processor (athlon 3200+) and decent memory(512ddr dual channel memory)... If this was so related to either of these issues, I find it odd that I am having slowdowns... it may be relating more to the gpu?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Para on 2006-11-21 06:46 ]</font>

Veneratius
Nov 21, 2006, 10:51 AM
The slowdowns for the 360 he is talking about has nothing to due with our internet connection. It is not lag at all. It is actual slowdown you would experience trying to run a game on a PC that the PC can't quite handle. It happens out of nowhere for no specific reason. It is most likely due to a poor port-over to the 360. Damaged is correct about your theory being flawed with the way you stated it. Sorry

-Ryuki-
Nov 21, 2006, 10:55 AM
Before the update, I never had slowdown at all, because I was ALREADY playing on the lowest settings. After the update, I've gotten massive slow down on the lowest settings, and I'm not entirely happy.

SpikeOtacon
Nov 21, 2006, 10:57 AM
Funfact: Running the game through my Video Card's S-video output to the TV gives me a slightly better framerate. Or it could just be the TV.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SpikeOtacon on 2006-11-21 07:57 ]</font>

AkiraXxx
Nov 21, 2006, 11:43 AM
On 2006-11-21 07:51, Veneratius wrote:
The slowdowns for the 360 he is talking about has nothing to due with our internet connection. It is not lag at all. It is actual slowdown you would experience trying to run a game on a PC that the PC can't quite handle. It happens out of nowhere for no specific reason. It is most likely due to a poor port-over to the 360. Damaged is correct about your theory being flawed with the way you stated it. Sorry

Wrong again. If it were an issue with the 360 itself then EVERYONE would be experiencing this. It is your connection re-syncing with everyone else. Thus the reason some people will be playing just fine in a room, while others will be lagging/moving slower, and then mid way through it could be the exact opposite.
Its the exact same reason some people will play slow on a ps2 and then suddenly everything will be a little faster then normal.

As for pc peeps running slow, there a reason there is a minimum requirements on the back of the box. If you just make that, chances are the game is going to run like shit regardless of what settings you put it on, as do all games.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AkiraXxx on 2006-11-21 08:44 ]</font>

BioWarrior
Nov 21, 2006, 11:50 AM
On 2006-11-21 06:42, AkiraXxx wrote:

hrmm?

This theory is flawed.

hmmmmmm maybe because all the 360 server only have 360's? Any slowdown there is due to your shitty connection.

Slowdown has NOTHING to do with internet connection, the only thing internet connection effects is LAG which is totally different.

AkiraXxx
Nov 21, 2006, 11:59 AM
On 2006-11-21 08:50, BioWarrior wrote:

On 2006-11-21 06:42, AkiraXxx wrote:

hrmm?

This theory is flawed.

Slowdown has NOTHING to do with internet connection, the only thing internet connection effects is LAG which is totally different.

Oh alright then conspiracy theroist of PSU. SEGA purposely slowed the game down just to piss everyone off. The End right?

I guess all of our computers/ps2's/ and xbox360's are ALL just too shitty to run this game at a constant 60 fps right?

Your statement was idiotic, your saying LAG is different from the game slowing down, and I JUST SAID, that if 3 people are LAGGING/SLOWING DOWN, and the other 3 people are moving at blazing normal speeds, EVENTUALLY they are going to have to resync with each other or everyone would be hitting monsters that are already DEAD. THUS the reason when you go in a room on a PS2 at the start the monsters arent there and you have to wait a few seconds for the shit to appear.

Im running on a 512mb geforce 6GB ram 3.8 ghz alienware comp, my shit runs PERFECT when I solo, everything loads in a second, I have no lag, it runs great. When I party with my friends that all have good computers we never experience slowdown. The instant I go in a room with 1 or more ps2 players my game slows down, and what you consider an fps drop is the game adjusting to ps2/pc user because the ps2 is to shitty to run this game at a constant 30 fps let alone 60. The SAME goes for 360, if people are lagging like shit, the game isnt going to just keep going at 60 fps for everyone, or you would see everyone skipping around CONSTANTLY because youd be out of sync. Its the same reason monsters arent were they appear on some peoples screens.

End point: The slow down is due to a SYNC related issue and if you have it now you will ALWAYS have it until SEGA upgrades servers.

-Ryuki-
Nov 21, 2006, 12:02 PM
Maybe it's my graphics card. It does suck, after all.

onami
Nov 21, 2006, 12:03 PM
I put on compressed graphics or whatever and slowdown went away :/

Saphion
Nov 21, 2006, 12:04 PM
This was posted in the other slowdown thread, but I'll post it again here in case anyone missed it:

Clicky (http://boards2.sega.com/psu_board/viewtopic.php?t=9426).

BioWarrior
Nov 21, 2006, 12:05 PM
please, your such an idiot and know nothing about how this game runs, the slowdown has nothing to do with other people, as ive gotten nasty slowdown in blank hallways and nobody else had problems. sega just sucks at coding for PC and screwed something up, look at all of sega's PC games most have a hard time just running

BioWarrior
Nov 21, 2006, 12:07 PM
when the game goes out of sync btw all you see is people attack air and monsters in different spots taking damage, ive seen it a few times

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BioWarrior on 2006-11-21 09:08 ]</font>

AkiraXxx
Nov 21, 2006, 12:17 PM
On 2006-11-21 09:05, BioWarrior wrote:
please, your such an idiot and know nothing about how this game runs, the slowdown has nothing to do with other people, as ive gotten nasty slowdown in blank hallways and nobody else had problems. sega just sucks at coding for PC and screwed something up, look at all of sega's PC games most have a hard time just running

If it was something wrong with the software itself then there wouldnt be as many isolated incidents of the slow down. People are still playing this game just fine, I know nothing about how this game runs? idiot,im a fucking computer animator/game designer, I know how games run, ive ran private servers for many games, yeah most pc's have a hard time running it because people are barely making minimum requirements or dont have thier comps set right. If it was strictly a software issue then EVERYONE would be experiencing this because EVERYONE is playing the same game with the same data on the same engine on the same server, only difference between everyone is thier comp specs and thier net connection. Youve had nasty slowdowns in an empty hall on what? PC? Ps2? And yeah, there were OTHER people in the party, if your game is running smooth at 60 fps for half of the mission then you suddenly slow down for a lil bit, maybe its perhaps this whole time other peeps werent moving so fast? Your saying SEGA screwed up coding for PC, but I guess somehow PC converts to Ps2 & xbox360 since some ps2 and 360 users also experience this slow down. Also notice how I underlined SOME.

AkiraXxx
Nov 21, 2006, 12:22 PM
On 2006-11-21 09:07, BioWarrior wrote:
when the game goes out of sync btw all you see is people attack air and monsters in different spots taking damage, ive seen it a few times

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BioWarrior on 2006-11-21 09:08 ]</font>

Thats a completely different issue but same problem. Its like on ps2 when monsters dont load right away. Its also like when someone who is running extremly slow "Ps2/Shitty Comp" is hitting a monster and at the same time seeing everyone else move at relatively the same speed. EVENTUALLY everyone is going to need to be back in sync so that the person that was moving slow is back in with the rest of them, what your trying to emply defies time and space, I cant punch you in the face and you feel it and then 10 seconds later you see it happen. If it were stricly software then if you experience slow down in a mission with 6 people, it would be impossible for you to get over 15 fps in towns with MULTIPLE players on the map and your comp is sitting there trying to load all the data from the server.

-Ryuki-
Nov 21, 2006, 12:24 PM
Akira isn't stupid, and he doesn't speak nonsense. Normally when he talks, he speaks firmly.

So, what I'm saying is.. Respect his words, or kindly leave.

KirinDave
Nov 21, 2006, 02:20 PM
I am confused. Xbox 360 slowdown issues? I've been in every mission on Neudaiz and Parum since patch, and I never experience any framerate drop or choppiness.

I wonder if there are some issues with various firmware revisions of the Xbox 360 if this is really true. My 360 is brand new, and I seem to have substantially fewer problems (for example, I've never had any problems with voice chat or excessive heat).

Maskim
Nov 21, 2006, 03:04 PM
On 2006-11-21 11:20, KirinDave wrote:
I am confused. Xbox 360 slowdown issues? I've been in every mission on Neudaiz and Parum since patch, and I never experience any framerate drop or choppiness.

I wonder if there are some issues with various firmware revisions of the Xbox 360 if this is really true. My 360 is brand new, and I seem to have substantially fewer problems (for example, I've never had any problems with voice chat or excessive heat).

The only problem I have is with voicechat. No slowdown, or excessive heat. Voicechat doesn't bother me though, as I've got kids, and if they're awake, people I'm playing with don't want to hear them, and if they're asleep when I'm playing (more often the case) I want quiet time for a change, so I dont want voice chat.

KirinDave
Nov 21, 2006, 03:50 PM
On 2006-11-21 12:04, Maskim wrote:

On 2006-11-21 11:20, KirinDave wrote:

The only problem I have is with voicechat. No slowdown, or excessive heat. Voicechat doesn't bother me though, as I've got kids, and if they're awake, people I'm playing with don't want to hear them, and if they're asleep when I'm playing (more often the case) I want quiet time for a change, so I dont want voice chat.

Forgive me if you already new this, but bug workarounds always bear repeating. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

The voicechat bug seems to be caused by a race condition during startup between when PSO checks for live connectivity and when you are signed on to live. You can get around it by loading up XBL first with the disk drive open, then use the "Close Tray" option in your interface once the XBL notifier tells you that you are signed in.

PMB960
Nov 21, 2006, 04:06 PM
I noticed the game only slowed down when I looked in a certain direction which would mean it is a memory leak. I have already asked around and it doesn't appear to affect only certain hardware like the memory leak in KOTOR on Dantooine on ATI hardware. It doesn't matter though since the next patch will automatically come out this week and fix it since it was the same thing on the JP servers. The interesting thing I noticed about the memory leak is that it only occurs on certain map setups. So if you get lucky there will be no slow down. The next time you get slow down on Parum try turning the camera in a different direction to see if that helps(it did for me). If it really annoys you you can just do what I did in KOTOR. Run with the camera facing you character in the parts where there is a memory leak

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 21, 2006, 04:22 PM
I'd like to also warn people that there is a flash-based ad that sometimes appears on PSO World that will cause your game to slow down. I don't recall off hand, just which ad it is, but if you're experiencing slowdown every few seconds, and you discover that you have PSO World open, try closing your browser window and see if that improves anything.

KirinDave
Nov 21, 2006, 04:51 PM
On 2006-11-21 13:06, PMB960 wrote:
I noticed the game only slowed down when I looked in a certain direction which would mean it is a memory leak.

Not to pick nits, but the expression of a bug need not have any connection with the kind of bug involved. For example, it'd be trivial to verify if it's a memory leak or not on the PC version by watching your process monitor. If the memory spikes and stays spiked, then it might be a memory leak.

It really bugs my left brain when people make statements like this, so please don't. It could just as easily be a clipping bug, or a bug in polygon normals.

BioWarrior
Nov 21, 2006, 10:26 PM
On 2006-11-21 13:06, PMB960 wrote:
I noticed the game only slowed down when I looked in a certain direction which would mean it is a memory leak. I have already asked around and it doesn't appear to affect only certain hardware like the memory leak in KOTOR on Dantooine on ATI hardware. It doesn't matter though since the next patch will automatically come out this week and fix it since it was the same thing on the JP servers. The interesting thing I noticed about the memory leak is that it only occurs on certain map setups. So if you get lucky there will be no slow down. The next time you get slow down on Parum try turning the camera in a different direction to see if that helps(it did for me). If it really annoys you you can just do what I did in KOTOR. Run with the camera facing you character in the parts where there is a memory leak

Ya i found myself doing that often with endrum remnants in one specific room

DoubleJG
Nov 21, 2006, 10:54 PM
On 2006-11-21 09:04, Saphion wrote:
This was posted in the other slowdown thread, but I'll post it again here in case anyone missed it:

Clicky (http://boards2.sega.com/psu_board/viewtopic.php?t=9426).

The most helpful post in this thread in my oppinion. As many of you should've already seen, someone (it was either Ether or the one member with the cool signature of a RA using two awesome mechs) stated that the same thing happened during PSUJP. The next patch should fix it. If not, well...hurry it up Sega?

PMB960
Nov 21, 2006, 11:26 PM
On 2006-11-21 13:51, KirinDave wrote:

It really bugs my left brain when people make statements like this, so please don't. It could just as easily be a clipping bug, or a bug in polygon normals.

umm my memory did spike and stay there. As I said the exact same thing happened in KOTOR. No matter how much I turn my setting down it still occurs again just like KOTOR. And by the way I am a computer tech and a programmer myself so I can usually identify what could be causing glitches pretty easily.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PMB960 on 2006-11-21 20:29 ]</font>