PDA

View Full Version : Defense vs Evasion armor for Newmans

Thelonius
Nov 21, 2006, 10:07 AM
I have been playing with my Newman Force for some time... and the Beast Hunter for about the same... and I have built the Newman with Evasion plus-ups and the Beast with Defensive... while playing both I am starting to believe the Evasion may be the best way, because of the more frequent blocks. But before I start gearing up 5-star armor I want to make sure I am doing what benefits the Newman Force more. So is Evasion > Defense? Or should I go Defense to compensate for having lower stats?

Shiro_Ryuu
Nov 21, 2006, 10:41 AM
I'm not sure, as much as I think of high evasion as a good thing, that Newman Force isn't always gonna block every single move, and may die in one hit if he doesn't evade. Then again, I see that both of your characters are really high level, just as high as my highest level guy.

Oxidation
Nov 21, 2006, 10:53 AM
I went for the Mega/wall actually, boost em both up. But if i had to choose it would probably be def to compensate. I have a newman female and i dont like to be 1 shotted. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

MayLee
Nov 21, 2006, 11:28 AM
Legs and arms actually work. I block most the time.

Thelonius
Nov 21, 2006, 11:32 AM
On 2006-11-21 07:53, Oxidation wrote:
I went for the Mega/wall actually, boost em both up. But if i had to choose it would probably be def to compensate. I have a newman female and i dont like to be 1 shotted. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I am considering Mega/wall for the next armor...

But I am curious @ which point will I have to worry about getting one shotted? I mainly duo/solo everything, and I have done so on all the B ranked missions. With having more A rank available soon for the Newman, what mob is going to hit me for over 660 HP?

Tomeeboy
Nov 21, 2006, 12:41 PM
Well, megid could take you down in one shot regardless of what your HP is, so that's one thing to consider (although there aren't really that many instances where you need to worry about that just yet). Other than that, there may be some bosses in higher rank missions that could take a big chunk of your HP (or all of it, but I don't know any specific enemies or numbers). I'm not sure that it is going to be something you run into often enough to justify basing your armor preference on it.

I personally prefer evasion, and try to use armor that has a high evasion stat. I try to keep my defense at a decent level as well if I can, and use the Mega / Wall to raise both stats a little. It's hard to say if that's really the best way to go, however.

I guess you could look at it this way, if you feel that evasion is better and helps you avoid more damage in the long run, then give it a try. You can always carry a stack of scape dolls to counter any possible 1-shot scenarios, and then you don't have to take a beating from everything up to the bosses that might do this.

Natrokos
Nov 21, 2006, 01:24 PM
Personally I prefer DEF. As a Newman Force I stay back and rarely get hit...But when I do it hurts pretty bad (plus the low hp) But use whatever you prefer...There isn't a wrong way to play your char really.

Maskim
Nov 21, 2006, 01:27 PM
As a hunter, I go DEF, as I can't stand having my combos intterupted, and would rather keep swinging with mitigated damage, than block. With a force or ranger char, I think I'd go EVA. Not to ignore DEF, but I'd definatly focus on eva for distance classes.

Mystil
Nov 21, 2006, 02:16 PM
Go with mega/wall. You already have insane EVP which will activate I assume 10% more than a newman hunter(and you know I evaded ALOT).

KirinDave
Nov 21, 2006, 02:34 PM
On 2006-11-21 10:27, Maskim wrote:
As a hunter, I go DEF, as I can't stand having my combos intterupted, and would rather keep swinging with mitigated damage, than block. With a force or ranger char, I think I'd go EVA. Not to ignore DEF, but I'd definatly focus on eva for distance classes.

I never quite get this idea. If your evasion fires, you block and lose a PA. If you get hit hard, you flinch and lose your PA. The difference seems to be that DEF lets you take more damage while dishing out more. Seems like EVA is better with spears and dagger/twin daggers, which have PAs that step in (or have a radius).

It seems like each stat has its uses. I think DEF is more useful on parum outside of the bosses. People complain about the Build-A-Bears on Moatoob hitting like trucks, but their ATA is horrible. My force is nearly untouchable by them. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Maskim
Nov 21, 2006, 02:41 PM
On 2006-11-21 11:34, KirinDave wrote:

On 2006-11-21 10:27, Maskim wrote:

I never quite get this idea. If your evasion fires, you block and lose a PA. If you get hit hard, you flinch and lose your PA. The difference seems to be that DEF lets you take more damage while dishing out more. Seems like EVA is better with spears and dagger/twin daggers, which have PAs that step in (or have a radius).

It seems like each stat has its uses. I think DEF is more useful on parum outside of the bosses. People complain about the Build-A-Bears on Moatoob hitting like trucks, but their ATA is horrible. My force is nearly untouchable by them. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Very good point. I find that with my armor, my defensive unit, my high racial defense, and especially even moreso with my defense nanoblast, I rarely get flinched in PA or mid combo. I also tend to bob and weave, but when I am hit, for the most part, enemies must score a critical hit, or I evade and block, for it to halt my attack. Only when battling things well above my level do I notice being flinched often.

Only time I've been flinched in nano form was De Ragan A crashing down on me.

So yes, it's a trade off, take more damage to deal more damage. I like that tough. I kill it faster, so it can deal no damage again.

Garnet_Moon
Nov 21, 2006, 11:09 PM
Well, I just use a Brandline and a +32 ATP unit on my 31 RAnewearl, and I dodge the shit outta everything.

AoE stomp from the Relic Hippos in Agata? Block. (When I don't it hits for 300, and crits for 450 lolol)
Svaltus' Wind Scar? Block.
Grants? Block.

Newmans evasion is ridiculously high.

If you're a Hunter, then you want Defense until we get the harder dungeons. Don't want to waste TOO much PP, now, do ya?
If you're a Ranger or Force, you want evasion. The bigger the number, the bigger the gap between your last death will grow.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2006-11-21 20:16 ]</font>

Maskim
Nov 21, 2006, 11:49 PM
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa.. *does double take*

Lemme get this straight...Garnet_Moon actually agrees with me for once?

...This can't be a good sign. Do I have cancer and you can't figure out how to break it to me or something? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Garnet_Moon
Nov 21, 2006, 11:51 PM
On 2006-11-21 20:49, Maskim wrote:

...This can't be a good sign. Do I have cancer and you can't figure out how to break it to me or something? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

I don't care about anyone elses opinion when I post, so I didn't read anything but the OP. Occasionally I do when i'm bored and wanna start a conflict, but I didn't this time. Just read the OP.

Eternal_Drake
Nov 21, 2006, 11:54 PM
Since Newmans have naturally high evade [as does a force I think], I would just get leg units and armor that buff eva the most and just have a very high eva. But Im not going to play a newman or a force anyways so it doesnt matter either way to me

Maskim
Nov 21, 2006, 11:55 PM
On 2006-11-21 20:51, Garnet_Moon wrote:

On 2006-11-21 20:49, Maskim wrote:

I don't care about anyone elses opinion when I post, so I didn't read anything but the OP. Occasionally I do when i'm bored and wanna start a conflict, but I didn't this time. Just read the OP.

There's the Garnet I've come to expect. Take that warm fuzzy and plant it firmly under yer boot heel. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Suddenly, the world seems right again.

ProfessorZ
Nov 22, 2006, 12:11 AM
Thats why I love being a ranger. We get so much EVA when we level up

Thelonius
Nov 22, 2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the input all... I think I am going to set-up Evasion 1st... and Defense 2nd. I am anticipating that later on it will be necessary to have dual capabilities and with the Armor having H/B/E makes it easier to switch out.

AlMcFly
Nov 22, 2006, 12:26 PM
Two words: "Spinning Fists"!!! The one and only problem I've found with evasion is the Moatoob Bil De Vear's spinning fists. You want to get knocked away when they do it but sometimes you stand there, block a few at a time but watching your life bar going down with nothing you can do. It's rather annoying at times.