PDA

View Full Version : 1up Gives PSU a 8.3

Para
Nov 22, 2006, 07:09 AM
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3155446

In an age when dozens of massively-multiplayer games battle for mindshare and expectations for perpetual online communities raise by the day, while millions upon millions follow each other lemming-like to World of Warcraft, it's nice to see a modest online adventure like Phantasy Star Universe stand up to be counted. A throwback to the good ol' days of Diablo 2-style dungeon exploring, PSU is a value-packed, worthwhile action-RPG that finds its biggest challenge not in its modern-day peers, but in escaping the shadow of its predecessor: Phantasy Star Online (PSO).

While PSO was hardly a perfect game (combat is slow and clunky, and enemy A.I. is non-existent, and so on), it borrowed liberally from the right source: Diablo 2, that paradigm of old-school game design. By swiping the most addictive elements of Blizzard's dungeon crawler and refitting the concept with a compelling, futuristic setting, PSO was (and to some extent still is) a great little collect-a-thon filled with unique weapons and fun, party-based adventuring. Sonic Team enhanced its take on online role-playing with simple macro'ed controls that made shifting between various attacks and spells a snap, while bold, colorful, comic book-style word balloons introduced chatting and emoting to a new legion of console gamers. For years this concept perpetuated on Dreamcast, GameCube, and eventually Xbox, finding it's own select niche, while the EverQuests, Final Fantasys, and WOWs moved on ahead. As PSO's lifespan wound down, it got a second wind on PC with Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst, keeping the community buzzing until Phantasy Star Universe was ready for prime time.

Despite being struck by the occasional setback or two during years of development, PSU isn't the powerhouse sequel to PSO that veterans probably were hoping to get. The voice acting in the story mode -- with the exception of one main character, Karen -- is almost uniformly bad, the enemy A.I. is still quite dense (although the enemies are much harder now), the collision-detection during battles is pretty cheap, and the graphics -- while fine on PS2 and PC -- are hardly up to Xbox 360 specs (or even comparable to Final Fantasy XII, for that matter). Perhaps the games's biggest knock, though, is that Sonic Team can't seem to script its way out of a paper bag in terms of storytelling, as evidenced by PSU's paltry plot. Despite this, PSU is still a greater experience than the sum of its parts would suggest, and the reasons for it are plenty.

First off, the fact that a sizeable story mode, flawed as it is, actually exists means that this game is good to go even if you have no intentions of going online. Some critics belabor the fact that you can't take the skills, weapons, and levels accumulated offline playing as the game's main character, Ethan Waber, over to the online game. That's actually a good thing, since playing PSU with a 100,000 other Ethan Wabers on the battlefield would probably look pretty stupid. Joking aside, the obvious reason for this is that Sega wants to create a stronger narrative with a focal character (unlike in PSO, where your custom character waded through the quests). But it also has to do with the lesson learned bringing PSO to DC, GC, and Xbox: people cheat.

The story mode is more than the throwaway time-killer of PSO, too. While the game progression is basically just an increasingly difficult series of indoor and outdoor dungeons, the variety of enemies is significant, added missions are unlocked for use in "free mode" (which functions as a great way to level up and earn money and items), and it's a great training ground for eventual online play. While PSU's connection to previous Phantasy Star games is tenuous, it's still a worthwhile romp, and getting past the fourth stage opens up what's possibly the game's best option: Extra Mode.

Extra Mode essentially recreates the online experience offline, supplanting real-life players with able-bodied NPC allies. While this mode might seem like a redundancy, consider that MMO players usually have no such option, such as with Final Fantasy XI. When those MMOs shutdown -- one day in the future -- gamers will have nothing to show for it, with no true ownership of their characters. They won't be able to take their hard-earned characters offline and keep playing in the areas where they spent so much time and money. Extra Mode puts that fear to rest, and while it's not the same as playing with real friends online, it's still notable that Sega took the time to add it.

Key to PSU's depth -- and one of the most engaging new elements -- is the synthesis mode, which lets you use items discovered in the field along with your Partner Machinery (more on that later) to craft items that simply would have been dropped by enemies in PSO. While items are still found in treasure boxes and dropped from enemies, other rare and exotic weapons and medicine can be crafted if you find the right materials. By using various "boards" (read: recipes) along with the prescribed items, players can create items not only for use, but for profit as well. Each character gets an "apartment" which can be decorated with different motifs, furnishings, and more. One of the most expensive options (15,000 meseta) early on is the license which lets you open a shop in your apartment, enabling other players to visit your pad, examine, and (hopefully) purchase your goods. With the money you earn, players can buy more spells, better armor, more powerful weapons, or -- in a distinct departure from the "one look for life" limitations of the first game -- change your skin color, hairstyle, and eye color, all while storing a closet full of multiple sets of clothes.

The pleasure goes beyond mere customization, though. Now each racial type (humans, CASTs, Newmans, and Beasts) can function outside of its realm of expertise and dabble in jobs it wouldn't have been able to access in PSO. This enables players to get more out of one character than they could in any previous Phantasy Star. Of course, with any new online game, the interface and HUD takes some getting used to, and PSU now utilizes a weapon-swapping system not unlike Snake's item selection process in Metal Gear Solid. By pressing Circle (or the appropriate button, depending on what system you're playing on) and pushing up or down on the D-pad, players can cycle through weapons. Each weapon has a "technic," aka special move, which uses PP points. While PP slowly recharges, the most effective way to refill your weapons is to use a rare PP recharge item, or to visit a recharging point, where you can fill some or all of your weapons for a small fee. Adding ammo limitations is sort of annoying at first, but it's a minor blemish since, generally speaking, you can carry so many weapons. Most missions are capable of being played solo using a single charge on the average arsenal of weapons, and in party-play, it's never a problem.

Combat is vastly improved over PSO, thanks to the lock on function that, while not quite perfect, still helps keep a bead on enemies. Fast-moving enemies will still vex the lock on, though, and airborne enemies are a particular pain to keep track of despite the first-person shooting mode. It keeps you grounded in place, which isn't particularly effective when sky-borne wyverns are strafing you with fire breath. Character movement is faster as well. Players don't run away from monsters by walking and then trotting casually away as they did in PSO. Now a run is a run, and enemies are also much faster (but with discernible combat patterns). Enemy A.I. is very basic, though, as each zone simply sends enemies at you, all of which must usually be killed before the key to the next area materializes. Surprisingly, you can't take advantage of the zones in PSU like you could in PSO. Now if you run past a fence that separates a zone, monsters will often follow you outside, continuing the fight. The dim enemy A.I. is easy to trick, though, and if you're savvy, you can usually get a bunch of them to cluster up on the opposite side of a fence while you pick them off.

Another key difference from PSO, and one of PSU's more engaging distractions, is the Partner Machinery, which is PSU's equivalent of the former Mag system. While you still feed your PM items to help it grow and evolve, you're no longer limited to feeding it three items at a time. Since, for example, Sol Atomizers are much harder to come by en masse in PSU, you'll want to synthesize them yourself once you have the right materials. As with Mags, PMs evolve in a series of stages. It's much more challenging to bring your PM to it's final stage of development now, although the reward is that once it completes its evolution, it will then accompany you into battle in humanoid form, giving you one more reliable partner to party in online play. In a nice touch, not only can you name your PM, but if you get bored of that name, you can change that too.

Online play, built on the groundwork laid by PSO, is the real draw here. While some will argue that what's available in PSU is already on the disc and paying for the privilege of unlocking it online is unfair, whether you pay to access content updates in PSO or download a 200 MB patch for another online game, the end result is the same: New content costs money, servers must be maintained, and so on. If anything, PSU's game structure and population mirrors Guild Wars more than anything, but Guild Wars' business model survives on selling you a new expansion every eight months. So, is the online portion of PSU worth the time and cost? Yes.

Provided you don't mind being dealt the cards Sega has in store for you on its terms, everything here is fine. PSU has plenty of servers (called "universes") that you can jump between at any time, ensuring a smooth, latency-free experience and no commitment to one specific world (enabling friends to meet up anywhere). While everything is a degree or two more complex in PSU than in PSO, navigating the game's interface is still a relatively clean affair, whether you're exchanging ID cards with friends, switching lobbies, creating characters, forming parties, or simply chatting it up. Chat bubbles return, although with the separate North American and Japanese servers, the simple chat of PSO gives way to the more colorful and expressive chat options of PSU. Word balloons that jiggle with excitement are easily created with a few keyboard combinations, while explosive chat balloons showcasing your character's level of excitement are also available, as well as the option to change font colors on the fly.

Naturally, the whole point of any game like this is to collect the coolest gear, to look as badass as possible, and to cooperatively kill bigger and badder monsters. With each content update new areas, missions, and challenges are offered, spruced up with the occasional holiday event or quest. Level caps are raised every so often (PSO's level cap was 200, while PSU's limit is currently level 50), which should help encourage players to keep grinding.

The game's multiplatform status ensures multiple things. Since PSU runs just great on PS2, only requires a memory card, and all online characters are server-stored, there's a huge potential community built in. The PC is where online games continue to thrive, especially after the console versions have either broken down or dried up, so this is also a fine option. Xbox 360 owners, while possessed of a sharp-looking port of PSU, have a smaller installed base than the other two formats and exist on their own Xbox Live-specific servers (for a variety of technical reasons). This limits them to their own niche community, where population is likely to be lower.

Graphically, PSU looks pretty nice on the PS2, with decent-looking character models and environments. If you prefer the Dungeons & Dragons milieu of Western-style RPGs, you may not cotton to PSU's futuristic, Japanese manga look, but the costume and weapon design are really nice here, and much more bearable than some of PSO's wretched character styles. The PC version, obviously, is much sharper and boasts higher resolutions than the PS2 version, and while hardly in the same league as other MMOs like EverQuest 2, still looks quite attractive. The Xbox 360 version falls in line with the crisp visuals of the PC game, but, when compared to games like Gears of War or The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, it looks distinctly last gen.

But graphics aren't everything, and PSU accomplishes enough, visually, to keep people interested for as long as they keep playing, and with so many offline and online things to learn and master, Phantasy Star Universe is that rare role-playing game that keeps on giving. While it may arrive a little too late for the last gen and look a little too old for the next gen, as PSO proved before it, a good game will keep them coming back. It's too early to say whether PSU will have the same level of staying power in an age inundated with online games, but its pedigree makes this one worth watching -- and playing.

Probably one of the better reviews PSU has received from its american critics.

A2K
Nov 22, 2006, 07:36 AM
It's nice to see a more positive review for a change. It touches on a point I've always held to be true about Phantasy Star Online its descendants: For all its apparent flaws, there really isn't anything else like it out there. It satisfies a certain niche with its style of gameplay that other online titles don't.

Auronp
Nov 22, 2006, 07:48 AM
I'd say thats a fair review. They took into account the fact that more content online will come, and looked at the game as a whole. This is what i thought IGN.com was going to do, but they're so trapped in WoW and EQ and all them to see a different type of MMORPG

PJ
Nov 22, 2006, 08:03 AM
Karen's was the only GOOD voice actor? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Hell, I find even Hyuga has a good voice, and EVERYONE hates his voice http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

DizzyDi
Nov 22, 2006, 08:04 AM
Its almost like they read this site and decided to address all our complaints.
WEIRD.

Itsuki
Nov 22, 2006, 08:05 AM
Looks like they held out to see what kind of content updates there would be. Probably smarter of them.

Tenzntwentiez
Nov 22, 2006, 08:16 AM
thats why egm is the greatest.

Para
Nov 22, 2006, 08:22 AM
Also I think 1up gave SEGA a more fair review since they have a business deal between each other http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

ryeenae
Nov 22, 2006, 09:04 AM
Actually, so be specific, 1up gave PSU an 8, not an 8.3. That score was an average of the editorial review and the user reviews as well.

-Ryuki-
Nov 22, 2006, 09:07 AM
At least it's the first positive review I've heard of. Every review (like .hack//GU), has been a negative one.

Neith
Nov 22, 2006, 09:53 AM
Good to finally see some appraisal of PSU. The negative reviews didn't give a good impression of the game, in my opinion.

Although, I dont think offline prepares you for online that well, the stats are so different, it feels like a different game sometimes. Sure, it explains the actions of the game/interface well, but the combat is a hell of a lot easier offline http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Spectral
Nov 22, 2006, 11:56 AM
Offline is like NBA Jam vs. NBA 2K7.

They're different games.

-Shimarisu-
Nov 22, 2006, 11:58 AM
POPULARITY

#6 on 1UP
(of 17,835)
#1 on PS2
(of 1,546)
#2 in RPG
(of 716)

Yeah this game is totally dead in the water holy shit I should cancel right now!

Arislan
Nov 22, 2006, 12:00 PM
Doomsayers are funny, aren't they Shima? ^_^

Roken
Nov 22, 2006, 12:23 PM
where did you get those stats from Shimarisu ?

-Shimarisu-
Nov 22, 2006, 12:30 PM
To the left of the review. Apparently popularity means how many times people have clicked on a related article for the game.

I assume those are based on November's figures.

Roken
Nov 22, 2006, 12:37 PM
I see..

MorbidLilim
Nov 22, 2006, 12:43 PM
I've always had more respect for 1up/EGM than any other gaming media outlet.

Ryoki
Nov 22, 2006, 12:45 PM
On 2006-11-22 05:16, Tenzntwentiez wrote:
thats why egm is the greatest.

Damn skippy.

________
AVANDIA RECALL (http://classactionsettlements.org/)

Koyasha
Nov 22, 2006, 12:52 PM
Considering they're somehow partnered with Sega and doing the update notices, I find it unsurprising that they would give it a high rating that it doesn't currently deserve. While I agree that once most of the content is unlocked, that would be a fair rating, it is not a *currently* fair rating.

Witchblade56
Nov 22, 2006, 01:15 PM
I thought the review was appropriate. There will always be two sides to a game when it comes out.

I dont pay much attention to people that naysay the game.

KirinDave
Nov 22, 2006, 02:57 PM
On 2006-11-22 09:52, Koyasha wrote:
Considering they're somehow partnered with Sega and doing the update notices, I find it unsurprising that they would give it a high rating that it doesn't currently deserve. While I agree that once most of the content is unlocked, that would be a fair rating, it is not a *currently* fair rating.

How would more weapons or clothes change the basic gameplay? Would a few more glowy sticks, maybe another tech or two, and a new outfit change the game's rating for you?

Seriously.

Pure-chan
Nov 22, 2006, 03:01 PM
It's nice to see a review that mentions all of the positive changes for PSU, in addtion to pointing out flaws. I think an 8 is just about right. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Metempsychic
Nov 22, 2006, 04:11 PM
On 2006-11-22 08:58, -Shimarisu- wrote:
POPULARITY

#6 on 1UP
(of 17,835)
#1 on PS2
(of 1,546)
#2 in RPG
(of 716)

Yeah this game is totally dead in the water holy shit I should cancel right now!

A couple of days ago, PSU was something around 20~ish on 1UP, en masse. It's in the #2 spot, now.

I like the review, although I do agree with the fact that the review might be a little "forward". It's nice to see a positive review.

Rather than ranting about the subjectivity of reviews, I'll just say this: I feel that reviews are for people who are thinking about buying the game, and are looking for advice. If you've already bought the game, review it for youself. A review shouldn't dictate your own opinion.

...Someone had to have enjoyed "Barbie Horse Adventures."

Split
Nov 22, 2006, 04:12 PM
IGN, Game Informer, Gamespot, Game Rankings.com, Team Xbox, even Gamespy, and the list goes on!! Does anyone here see the merit to these, or does it still rock?

Choja
Nov 22, 2006, 04:16 PM
Well well well, if it isn't {Split}. I see you're still {taking the reviews}. Say, why don't you try {not bringing it up again}? We've {heard it too many times}.
Replace brackets with: name, hobby, task, and reason. XD

Cause_I_Own_U
Nov 22, 2006, 04:20 PM
No PSU just sucks

Mwabwetumba
Nov 22, 2006, 04:22 PM
No PSU just rocks.

Cause_I_Own_U
Nov 22, 2006, 04:29 PM
Hmmmm

I wonder if 1up being the site to give us the updates information has anything to do with this

You know maybe 1up HAS to give psu a good review since sega is paying them to have the updates on there site

RNLee
Nov 22, 2006, 04:58 PM
Er...isn't this the company Sega contracted with to announce all the updates and stuff? What a shock: Sega's partner in PSU gave it a great review.

What I really love is that people here have been screaming about corruption when IGN and GameSpot and...everybody else, pretty much...rated the game as mediocre and not worth the subscription fee. None of them seem to see anything wrong, though, with a company that makes money from PSU giving it far and away the best review of any game magazine or site.

Mwabwetumba
Nov 22, 2006, 04:59 PM
On 2006-11-22 13:58, RNLee wrote:
Er...isn't this the company Sega contracted with to announce all the updates and stuff? What a shock: Sega's partner in PSU gave it a great review.

What I really love is that people here have been screaming about corruption when IGN and GameSpot and...everybody else, pretty much...rated the game as mediocre and not worth the subscription fee. None of them seem to see anything wrong, though, with a company that makes money from PSU giving it far and away the best review of any game magazine or site.

Well, the number one reason that I like this review the most is that is reflects my own opinion the most.
The other reviews do not.

RNLee
Nov 22, 2006, 05:01 PM
On 2006-11-22 13:59, Mwabwetumba wrote:
Well, the number one reason that I like this review the most is that is reflects my own opinion the most.

So Sega's paying you, too? How do I get a deal like that?

Stixx
Nov 22, 2006, 05:02 PM
I think it's a very fair review and I actually agree with a number of the points 1UP made. At least they understand that it isn't the end of the world that there's still locked content http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Mwabwetumba
Nov 22, 2006, 05:04 PM
On 2006-11-22 14:01, RNLee wrote:

So Sega's paying you, too? How do I get a deal like that?

I just like this game.
What a reviewer says about it does not flinch me what-so-ever.
If I like this game, I like it.

Genobee
Nov 22, 2006, 05:05 PM
I don't buy it, 1up comes out with a buiness deal with sega then a week later gives them a cute nice little reveiw? Yea anyone else smell the BS.

Also If i remeber correctly EGM bitching to no end that you had to pay for PSO on xbox and now there ok with paying for PSU. Yea ok EGM sega must have gave you a fat check.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Genobee on 2006-11-22 14:06 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Genobee on 2006-11-22 14:10 ]</font>

Stixx
Nov 22, 2006, 05:07 PM
Even if the review is biased, it really doesn't matter. You've all played the game, you all enjoy it, so I don't see why you need another person telling you what to think...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Stixx on 2006-11-22 14:08 ]</font>

RNLee
Nov 22, 2006, 05:10 PM
I just went and read the review on the site--they don't even have a disclaimer saying that 1Up is partnered with Sega on this game, which is a total violation of journalistic ethics. Anybody who takes this review seriously is a sucker. It's an ad, pure and simple.

Milkman
Nov 22, 2006, 05:10 PM
I'd just like to throw my two cents in to this thread and address one particular topic: The notion that I gave PSU an 8 because we're teaming up with Sega to release content update details exclusively. The answer: One has nothing to do with the other.

Of all places, I never thought I'd see conspiracy theorists claiming bias towards a positive PSU review on a PSO/PSU site! Give the game a low score and the reviewer doesn't know what he's talking about. Give the game a fair score and PSU players - of all people - call bullshit? First of all, Sega does not *pay* 1UP to post the news. Why on Earth would they do that? No one pays us for anything we write. Companies pay to advertise, but the marketing team and the editorial team are like church and state. Secondly, while it might seem convenient for some to suggest that we gave the game an 8 because of our arrangement regarding the content updates, in this instance the egg came before the chicken. The reason our review went up yesterday was because I actually took the time to play the game at length before posting my thoughts. OK, so we weren't exactly timely with it, compared to IGN who had their review up the day the game came out (or whatever) and based their score on closed server time with the beta, but everyone seems to have overlooked the fact that I put the appropriate amount of time into the game, as most online games (MMOs in particular) warrant.

Sega came to us to post content updates because they knew I've been a longtime supporter of Phantasy Star Online and Universe and that I 'get it.' They figured that due to my enthusiasm for the game, that I'd help fly the flag and alert the world to what was coming in each content update, and I would. I did not give the game an 8 because they came to us with that proposal. The guys on EGM and 1UP knew what my score was heading towards before Sega even approached us about the content updates, and any suggestion that the score was skewed because of it really irritates me. See how you feel when someone questions your integrity just because you *like* something. God forbid.

Anyone who actually reads the review can clearly see that I address PSU's faults as well as its good points, and I wish you all could have seen the arguments I've had with EGM's Shane Bettenhausen over the fact that this game offers quite a lot to people who play both online and off. As a longtime PSO and FFXI veteran, I'm very aware of what PSU does that neither of those other games do, and I think I addressed that in my review. I realize that the majority of the folks in this thread understand this already, but I felt compelled to respond to the people who inexplicably associate content updates with a good score for a game that I happen to enjoy and play (not just for review), and will continue to play.

Best wishes and you can always find me floating around Universe 15. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

James Mielke
http://milkman.1up.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Milkman on 2006-11-22 14:12 ]</font>

RNLee
Nov 22, 2006, 05:12 PM
First of all, Sega does not *pay* 1UP to post the news.

If that's true, you people are morons on top of clearly not owning a copy of the AP Style Guide, never mind knowing where to find "Conflict of Interest" in that volume.

Stixx
Nov 22, 2006, 05:13 PM
I never saw a paystub reading "To EGM, with love. -Sega" >.>

Mayuga
Nov 22, 2006, 05:13 PM
yay for a good rating http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gifb

Milkman
Nov 22, 2006, 05:20 PM
On 2006-11-22 14:12, RNLee wrote:
If that's true, you people are morons on top of clearly not owning a copy of the AP Style Guide, never mind knowing where to find "Conflict of Interest" in that volume.

This is the first and last time I'll address your flame bait, because I've listened to people like you for years, and it ceases to faze me any more. But don't start throwing around catchy phrases, like 'AP Style Guide' and 'Conflict of Interest,' for the sake of sounding like the Moses of Journalistic Integrity, when you're just trying to be insulting. If you don't like the fact that I enjoy PSU and thought it merited an 8 out of 10, and that my opinion towards the game is, as you say, "bullshit," then I guess I don't get second helpings at the dinner table tonight. My bad. Where's your review of the game, angryman?

RNLee
Nov 22, 2006, 05:27 PM
Dude, if a newspaper or magazine has a partnership with a company they're reporting on or (especially) reviewing, they run a disclaimer with the piece detailing the relationship. *Everybody* does this. It's a no-brainer. Yours is the first such article I've ever seen--and I mean in my entire life--that doesn't include that disclaimer. As such, it's even more suspect than it would be, anyway, especially considering that 1Up scores the game so much higher than any other game magazine that doesn't have a business relationship with Sega, specifically regarding PSU.

You don't have to be the "Moses of Journalistic Integrity" to know that journalists and critics with vested interests in their subjects are supposed to be transparent about those relationships. Take that as flame bait if you want.

Ryude
Nov 22, 2006, 05:39 PM
I would like to point out that when PSO came out, I bought it the first day it came out. I played it for about 2 weeks and then quit. I rated it about 4/10. I then bought the expansion and played it for nearly 3 years. I then rated it a 10/10.

For PSU, I bought it the first day it came out, played for exactly 2 weeks. I would give it a rating of about 4.5/10. I will wait until the expansion comes out and then I'll see if it follows suit to it's predecessor.

I personally don't find it enjoyable at this moment, even though I have a teamspeak full of 12 friends that play it every single day. That does not mean it's a bad game, it just is not what I like at this point in time.

QueenOfAlgol
Nov 22, 2006, 05:47 PM
I love this game, Phantasy Star in any incarnation is great.

Although, I'm still waiting for a real sequel to the original Phantasy Star with Alis in it.

I thought Phantasy Star 2 should have continued Alis' reign as Queen or at least her adventures.

Maskim
Nov 22, 2006, 06:08 PM
On 2006-11-22 14:27, RNLee wrote:
Dude, if a newspaper or magazine has a partnership with a company they're reporting on or (especially) reviewing, they run a disclaimer with the piece detailing the relationship. *Everybody* does this. It's a no-brainer. Yours is the first such article I've ever seen--and I mean in my entire life--that doesn't include that disclaimer. As such, it's even more suspect than it would be, anyway, especially considering that 1Up scores the game so much higher than any other game magazine that doesn't have a business relationship with Sega, specifically regarding PSU.

You don't have to be the "Moses of Journalistic Integrity" to know that journalists and critics with vested interests in their subjects are supposed to be transparent about those relationships. Take that as flame bait if you want.

You are basing your argument upon a faulty statement that 1up is a business partner with Sega. Without further proof, as supplying an announcement that 1up has become a Sega affiliate, and with a representative of the publication stating that this is not the case, then we must assume that this is not the case, until proven otherwise.

Besides, no review is unbiased. Keep living in your one man perfect world, where reviews are not opinion. You are reading one man's opinion of a game. Others did not like it, and rated it as such. The reviewer for 1up did like it, rating it to show that. A review is just an opinion, and you tend to read the reviews of those who's opinions usually mesh with your own. Anyone wanting a reviewer to be unbiased is living in a fantasy, because all it is is either A. I liked it, here's why or B. I didn't like it, and here's why.

On another note, the only thing that struck me from what milkman said is that marketing and editorial departments are like church and state... So which department represents the right wing senators who continually bring their religious views into politics, in opposition to the division of church and state, at 1up.com? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

DizzyDi
Nov 22, 2006, 06:13 PM
I KNEW THEY WERE READING THIS SITE!

-Shimarisu-
Nov 22, 2006, 06:33 PM
Yeah, EGM are totally in Sega's pocket.......

FYI: This month's EGM slams both the Saturn and Dreamcast
IP: 134.124.97.113
Posted on November 22, 2006 at 17:09:51 by Dork

Lumps them in with Phantom, N-Gage, and Gizmondo.

Re(1): FYI: This month's EGM slams both the Saturn and Dreamcast
IP: 195.153.160.240
Posted on November 22, 2006 at 17:19:43 by mouphi

Since when did liking SEGA stop being cool amongst journos?

Re(2): FYI: This month's EGM slams both the Saturn and Dreamcast
IP: 80.5.160.25
Posted on November 22, 2006 at 17:26:51 by yoyo

It's always been like that, hasn't it? At least in recent times anyway. For example, all that Super Mario World is better than Sonic the Hedgehog bullshit you get in all the games mags / websites.

It's a Nintendo conspiracy I'm sure of it. They don't want future generations of gamers to know that Sega pissed all over stupid Nintendo at its height in the early 90's! That's why we need to fight the good fight.

CONCLUSION: EVERY TIME A MAGAZINE WRITES A REVIEW YOU DISAGREE WITH, IT'S ALL A HUGE CONSPIRACY.

LAST WEEK, SEGA PAID EGM A BIG WAD OF CASH. THIS WEEK, SEGA RAN OVER EGM'S DOG.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Shimarisu- on 2006-11-22 15:36 ]</font>

Ryude
Nov 22, 2006, 08:35 PM
I like nintendo better than sega consoles, I like sega games better than nintendo games. Well, at least until recently.

Parn
Nov 22, 2006, 08:58 PM
You know what's hilarious about all this bitching about 1up's review? Suppose for a second that you conspiracy theorists are right and that Milk's review of the game is adjusted solely based on huge lumps of cash from Sega. OK, so you're right... what now? Does it somehow affect your enjoyment of the game?

I can't help but wonder if you conspiracy theorists even bother reading 1up beyond the occasional random link thrown your way, mostly because if you did, you'd know that Milk played Final Fantasy XI on a consistent basis, and prior to that played a lot of Phantasy Star Online, so he enjoys online gaming like the rest of us addicts. The very notion that he'd probably like Phantasy Star Universe isn't exactly farfetched, and even if it was, it doesn't freaking matter.

1up gave the game an 8. If they had given the game a 5, it's still the same situation. They gave their perspective on the game, and that's that. We've all heard the 'opinions are like assholes' deal plenty of times by now.

On a side note, my internet's doing a better job of cooperating with me, but I missed my armor smithing meetup this evening because of it. BLARG.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Parn on 2006-11-22 18:05 ]</font>

ShadowDragon28
Nov 22, 2006, 09:27 PM
Finally a more sensible review. Most magazine reviews I take little to no care about at all. As many are so vastly biased to off base that the review is laughable. I trust my intiution far more on such things.

Though I would of given PSU a 9.0 out of 10 do simply to the fun factor, character creation system, and the fast-paced battle system that is a great improvement over PSO, and the controls are much smoother.
Those along with other good points (like future content updates) already mention in the 1 UP review would of bumped up the score I give it to 9.0. In-my-well thought out view PSU deserves a 9.0.

Though I totally do not agree with criticisms of the voices. I've watched Anime since before there was ever dubbed anime. And having watched many Anime in it's original Japanese, and playing several import games and their us dubbed conterparts.
Later I had watched/played the localized/dubbed versions of those Anime or games.

Thereby I've come to be able to reconize truely *terrible* voice acting on dubbed anime and games.

And with this prior experience, IMO PSU US's the voice acting is *pretty well done.* The only voice I found a little "hard" on the ears was Tonnio's. I have heard far, *far* worse VA than PSU's.

The ADR is adequete and could of been a little better, and ther was only a *few* out-of-sync moments where the VA audio didn't quite match up. Nowere near as horrible as the out-of-sync VA on "Xenogears" FMV cinemas, those where really badly off sync.

One thing that bugs me is that IMO, Ethan's last name should be WEBBER not "Waber", the english translation on PSU often times was not so great. "Waber" sounds like bad Engrish.

I really am getting tired of reading the opinions and "reviews" of hardcore WoW & FF XI players(and certain magazine editors) expecting PSU to be "uber-leet hardcore" MMO when it's not meant to be an MMO.
PSU is a Action RPG with a Multiplayer Online Mode, which would make it's online mode a MOARPG *not* an MMO.

And those same persons having overinflated and unresonable Mt Everest sized expectations that when not met result in a lot of spewing of negative bile of "opinions" about PSU, lot's of whining, and even uneccessary verbal abuse of those that *do* enjoy PSU.

I'm am so tired of reading all that crap. Haters need to go take a chill pill, go play something else Haters; let us gamers that actually *enjoy* PSU offline, and online alone so we can play in peace, and chill with friends and slay some monsters and win some loot. Wakarimasu ka?

Sorry for going on so long. Thank you for reading this post. Peace.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2006-11-22 18:37 ]</font>

juno-6
Nov 23, 2006, 01:43 AM
omfg, it feels good to have one of the big guys on your side, lol. respect, 1up. respect.

-Shimarisu-
Nov 23, 2006, 01:54 AM
the voice acting in PSU is actually damn fine.

I hated the overacting in the JP version, tbh.

Genobee
Nov 23, 2006, 02:54 AM
On 2006-11-22 22:54, -Shimarisu- wrote:
the voice acting in PSU is actually damn fine.

I hated the overacting in the JP version, tbh.

Are you kidding me? you probly think naruto dubs are great too.

-Shimarisu-
Nov 23, 2006, 02:56 AM
No I just understand japanese.

The jp version is really overacted compared to other jp videogame dubs.

The US version is really good compared to other (OK, US) videogame dubs.

It was embarrassing playing the jp version, but more impressive in a sense of "wow, they are TRYING" for the US version.

It's not GREAT, but it's not absolutely fucking terrible.

Yachiru
Nov 23, 2006, 05:34 AM
Finally, it's nice to see a good review on PSU! :] I just ignore reviews most of the time, especially on PSU. Maybe 'cause half the time they're horrible, or maybe just because it's pretty much about that persons opinon, I dunno. Kudos to 1UP. xD

Genobee
Nov 23, 2006, 11:37 AM
I still think the reveiw is utter crap how can you compare this game to guild wars (which it is guild wars lite) and then jutify the reason for paying the monthly fee as servers need to be paid for? And then say it's better then buying an expansion every 8 months? and we all know in 8 months there will be an expansion for PSU? Ok I'll say it, it's a fun game but it's still not worth paying 10 bucks amonth for, A it's only PVE, B it lags like a mofo, and C there is very little data that actualy needs to be stored on the server.

Deus-Irae
Nov 23, 2006, 12:30 PM
i actually appreciate the fact that someone who has an interest in the game/genre reviewed the game.

the fact that Milkman also played the game after it was released, and took his time with it before writing the review is also appreciated. too many other publications are too eager to get their reviews out first and put out half assed reviews because it it.

thanks for giving it a fair shake 1UP (and Milk).