PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding on computer

Zabot
Nov 23, 2006, 09:37 AM
im buying an alienware computer this friday, im stuck on getting a Laptop, or a Desktop, i want to be able to take it with me, but i want to be sure that it is going to be good enough. im stuck, i think that the laptop is actually going to be ok, here is the link, its what im looking at now, its the Aurora m97000

http://www.alienware.com/product_pages/notebook_all_default.aspx

and if you see something else then please tell me, but dont be like get the 5000 one, cuz i cant get that LOL.

Peace guys thanks for the help

Sychosis
Nov 23, 2006, 09:44 AM
Who buys alienware?

Zabot
Nov 23, 2006, 09:46 AM
the people who want a good gaming computer, thats all i want, games and stuff, ya know. and they are actually really good computers(perhaps overly good) but oh well, wehre im from they are extremely popular so wateva! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Peace

AkiraXxx
Nov 23, 2006, 09:51 AM
I have an alienware laptop too, if you get one, make sure you get the longest warranty you can. My inverter board JUST went out simingly a year after the warranty ended. Its costing 280$ just to send it in and have a 4$ part replaced because you cant buy alienware parts online, stores say they have it, but when you check they are ALWAYS outofstock.

The alienware laptop battery life is less then an hour, so if your using this for business I wouldnt suggest it at all. Also if your going to go big with an alienware laptop, get the best you can for everything, half assing it now will cost you hella more in the end. My m7700 came fully equiped with everything, and then I went and upgraded the ram even further. But yeah, go big if your going to go big ya know.

But if its a comp for gaming stick with some custom built desktop, you can make an uber one with the cost of the aurora. Also the laptop gets EXTREMELY overheated, it can run any game at MAX settings, but what they dont bother telling you is that the comp temp will reach excess of 80ºc in like 20 minutes of play and shut off on you.

Zabot
Nov 23, 2006, 10:11 AM
wow dude, i really appreciate that a lot, i ow you big for that one. much appreciated. i had no idea, ill definately go with the Desktop. im going to go set that up right now. thx man.

Peace out

Zabot
Nov 23, 2006, 10:31 AM
alrighht then i just set up my new desktop, got the 4 year warrenty and whatnot, its a little more expensive but i think it should be ok, thx man, im getting the area 51 special, since its really one of the only ones i can offord, and its relitively good, it basically max's out my speniding. LOL no more money now, might now even be able to get on PSU for a bit, but since you know so much for computers, i know this may sound weird, would you go alienware.com and help me? like tell me what i should or shouldnt get on that computer, what is obsolete? and not to waste money on? if you have yahoo messanger add me im [email protected]

thx

AkiraXxx
Nov 23, 2006, 10:34 AM
On 2006-11-23 07:31, Zabot wrote:
alrighht then i just set up my new desktop, got the 4 year warrenty and whatnot, its a little more expensive but i think it should be ok, thx man, im getting the area 51 special, since its really one of the only ones i can offord, and its relitively good, it basically max's out my speniding. LOL no more money now, might now even be able to get on PSU for a bit, but since you know so much for computers, i know this may sound weird, would you go alienware.com and help me? like tell me what i should or shouldnt get on that computer, what is obsolete? and not to waste money on? if you have yahoo messanger add me im [email protected]

thx

Your building the area 51 special? Gimme a sec so I can see what they have.

Edit: which one exactly are you getting? Theres a bunch of area 51 specials lol.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AkiraXxx on 2006-11-23 07:35 ]</font>

Zabot
Nov 23, 2006, 10:44 AM
alright

AkiraXxx
Nov 23, 2006, 10:47 AM
Most of the stuff is self explanitory, it starts you with what you need. Anything you can ugrade slightly I would recomend it. If your getting a mouse. Get the Razor one, I have one myself and its the best mouse iv'e ever used. Make sure you get the "Alienware® Respawn Recovery Kit" as well. I cant tell you how many hours and hassle this saves you if you need to reformat your comp. For some reason on really high end pcs you have to reformat every now and then or youll notice a sluggish performance over a period of time.

If your a CD burner, then you dont need to worry about software because you can get any program online for free lol. Norton,Photoshop,Office, all those are free from Kazaa or other p2p shareware.

Other then that, most of those are luxury specs. You either can afford it or cant. Things like ram, video cards, storage, the monitor etc. In terms of what to get, work with the graphics card and power supply, because you can always buy gigs of ram off ebay for like 30$

Zabot
Nov 23, 2006, 10:51 AM
thx again man, ill folow these guidelines and go through the process again to tweak it, maybe shave off some of the price. thx. appreciate it.

one more thing, what platform do you play on PSU, lets hang sometime?

If you want

Zabot
Nov 23, 2006, 10:59 AM
hey would you recomend autopsy so that if i have any problems i can contact support?? or scratch it and dont worry about it?

thx

AkiraXxx
Nov 23, 2006, 11:23 AM
On 2006-11-23 07:59, Zabot wrote:
hey would you recomend autopsy so that if i have any problems i can contact support?? or scratch it and dont worry about it?

thx

I dont need it, if you got the 4 year warranty you wont either. A majority of comp problems with the alienware you can fix yourself. Thats how they design thier systems. I've had to do alot of self repairs on mine, lots of resyncing plugs, adding thermal to graphics cards and parts, cleaning it out, the 4 year warranty is good enough. Im PC on psu, right now im on a ps2 till I get my alienware back hahaha. But yeah for sure once you get on hit me up or ill just hit you up. My ingame name is AkiraXxx.

lordzanon
Nov 23, 2006, 11:33 AM
custom built computers 4tw. I build mines even to the neon lights inside, sporty computer heeheh.

Hey if they give you an option to ADD more cooling fans or an intercooler, i advise you get em.
I added 2 extra ones for my computer and it does make a huge difference when yuor running a quadcard , a dual core processor and a good soundcard. (damn just 1 more processor and ill rival sony's ps3 "cell" processor heheheheh.

your gonna love your new computer a 10fold, especially if you havent upgraded in 2 years or more.

Zabot
Nov 23, 2006, 12:30 PM
its been like my whole life, we had one with windows 98 and then we got a crappy E-Machine, but i couldnt get on it. then we got one at my moms, and im barly ever on it. so i really havent EVER had a good computer. so this should be a treat for me.

Peace

etlitch
Nov 23, 2006, 12:33 PM
If anything, go costum built. Alienware = does'nt work very well from what I've heard, plus that they're super overpriced anyways.

Eternal_Drake
Nov 23, 2006, 01:48 PM
You could build a computer as strong as an alienware for half the price.

Especially with Black Friday being tommorow, 40$ for a stick of PC3200 RAM, 20$ for a 200gb IDE hd [both at staples] and 99$ for an ATI X1600 512mb AGP or Pci-e

Gamemako
Nov 23, 2006, 02:30 PM
DO NOT BUY ALIENWARE.

Build your own. Cheaper and better.

Eternal_Drake
Nov 23, 2006, 02:43 PM
Besides I really wouldnt consult this forum in the first place for overall computer advice. I would try an _actual computer forum_ instead.

I dont know many but http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/ is good.