PDA

View Full Version : To switch or not?

Maskim
Nov 23, 2006, 03:05 PM
So, my dillema that I come to you all with for opinions is the following. Obviously, I've been playing PSU with some of you, for a month, since 360 NA release. My wife, also a PS fan, wants to play quite baddly as well, but where as I've leveled 2 characters to the 30-40 range, she is at a whopping lvl 7. She just can't seem to get into it unless I'm playing with her.

So, the options I have now, are to continue along on 360, seeing as I've gotten my characters where I want them, pre advanced classes at least, all my prereqs filled, a small savings to sit on, and time invested. However, the only game I play anymore is PSU, and it seems like just so little to justify that 360 purchase many months ago, which has basically sat unused until a month ago. Also, there's not really any 360 games coming out that catch my eye, as I'm not into games like Halo, or Gears of War. If I were to decide to trade my 360 in, I could get a new ps2, all needed accessories, a copy of PSU ps2, a copy of PSU PC, and still have about 150ish in credit for kids christmas junk coming up.

So the question I come to seek your esteemed opinions on is as such. To keep on truckin' with 360, or make the switch to PS2/PC?

Ryoki
Nov 23, 2006, 03:07 PM
If you don't care for HALO, I would trade in. IMO, Halo is great, but if you don't like it, I don't see owning a Xbox360 a serious investment.

________
Honda Cd175 Specifications (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_CD175)

Kanore
Nov 23, 2006, 03:08 PM
Switch. :3

Maskim
Nov 23, 2006, 03:15 PM
On 2006-11-23 12:07, Ryoki wrote:
If you don't care for HALO, I would trade in. IMO, Halo is great, but if you don't like it, I don't see owning a Xbox360 a serious investment.

This is perfect, these are the kind of opinions I was hoping for, that give good reasons, for either way.

One thing I forgot to mention, is I'm playing on a large plasma hdtv. I'm just not sure how a ps2 would look on it, if it would take full advantage of it like the 360 does...or if it even matters on a game like this. Ugh...I'm so confused. Anyways, thanks for replies.

Cash_Lavi
Nov 23, 2006, 03:17 PM
I personaly would switch to the pc/ps2 and It might be a downgrade but oh well. (I played the demo at my friends house on the 360 and it was f***ing awsome, and then i got it for the PC and well lets say the downgrade was a DOWNGRADE....MAJOR DOWNGRADE!... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif I miss you, 360, which I want)

Mwabwetumba
Nov 23, 2006, 03:19 PM
I would probably have gotten PSU for Xbox360 if it wasnt for my brother who is getting it on the PS2..So I chose to get a spankin new PC to play it on^^

KiteWolfwood
Nov 23, 2006, 03:25 PM
If you are feeling that your 360 was a waste. Then might as well instead of just letting it sit there. Not to sound rude or anything but whatever floats your boat.

Silver_Wyrm
Nov 23, 2006, 03:38 PM
go ahead and switch, and btw,it isnt a downgrade if your buying it for a decent pc (mine plays it beautifully, laglessly no problems at all), 360 went same for me I just couldnt find games I wanted to play on it =/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silver_Wyrm on 2006-11-23 12:40 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silver_Wyrm on 2006-11-23 12:43 ]</font>

Edg3
Nov 23, 2006, 03:39 PM
You can DL PSU for pc and all you need is a sega account to play online (offline you can play completely free!). No need to buy it for PC. Kinda pisses me off that I bought it for PS2.

Maskim
Nov 23, 2006, 04:04 PM
Well, one of us would be on pc, the other on ps2, so as we could group.

Since I'm way used to playing it on the bigscreen, I'd probably be the one on ps2. Anyone played both ps2 and 360 can give me a comparison in how they run?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Maskim on 2006-11-23 13:05 ]</font>

BloodDragoon
Nov 23, 2006, 04:09 PM
On 2006-11-23 12:39, Edg3 wrote:
You can DL PSU for pc and all you need is a sega account to play online (offline you can play completely free!). No need to buy it for PC. Kinda pisses me off that I bought it for PS2.

Unless it's from an official Sega or Sonic Team website doing that is pretty much piracy.

If you only use your 360 to play 1 game there really isn't much of a purpose to keeping it IMO if that 1 game is available to other platforms that you use more often. The supposed downgrade to the PS2 probably wont even be too noticable aside from a little slowdown here an there in missions with 6 ppl unless you're one of those pixel,texture,polygon whores that nitpick about graphics.

If you have a decent gaming PC playing it on the PC would end up being an upgrade.

KiteWolfwood
Nov 23, 2006, 04:12 PM
Promoting Piracy should be a warning offense. People don't seem to understand that making games costs money.

Edg3
Nov 23, 2006, 06:28 PM
I don't think that mmorpgs should have any start up cost, I'll easily pay the same if not greater amounts of money into my monthly payments for sub 100% content. The single player is def not worth 50$

I also said that I owned it for PS2 already.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Edg3 on 2006-11-23 15:28 ]</font>

FenixStryk
Nov 23, 2006, 06:35 PM
Let's see...
Halo 3
Call of Duty 3
Gears of War
Huxley
Chromehounds
99 Nights
Dead Rising
Saint's Row
Xbox Live

If you don't like any of those games, then switch. But, IMHO, 360 is more than just Halo. You WILL lose a lot of money for a trade-in. Consider what you're doing before you do it.

Sychosis
Nov 23, 2006, 06:37 PM
While I'm certain more games will come out to catch your interest, I suggest you switch. If for no other reason than to spend more time with the Mrs. I'm sure you'll have a better time playing with your wife, even if the game isn't as pretty, than playing with anyone else.

Though I suppose you could buy a second 360...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sychosis on 2006-11-23 15:39 ]</font>

Kura_Kai
Nov 23, 2006, 06:59 PM
I would switch, You get someone you can level up with from the start at least. And the pc/ps2 community wouldn't be dead so quickly also.

Maskim
Nov 23, 2006, 07:04 PM
On 2006-11-23 15:37, Sychosis wrote:
While I'm certain more games will come out to catch your interest, I suggest you switch. If for no other reason than to spend more time with the Mrs. I'm sure you'll have a better time playing with your wife, even if the game isn't as pretty, than playing with anyone else.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sychosis on 2006-11-23 15:39 ]</font>

Oh, we're not on different servers. She's on slot 2 while I tower over her on slots 1 and 3. Buyng a second 360 when the first only gets used for one game, bascally...ugh. Although it sure would be nice if I had enough extra money laying around for that to really be an option. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

On 2006-11-23 15:35, FenixStryk wrote:
Let's see...
Halo 3
Call of Duty 3
Gears of War
Huxley
Chromehounds
99 Nights
Dead Rising
Saint's Row
Xbox Live

If you don't like any of those games, then switch. But, IMHO, 360 is more than just Halo. You WILL lose a lot of money for a trade-in. Consider what you're doing before you do it.

Halo 3 - nope
Call of Duty 3 - nope
Gears of War - nope
Huxley - know nothing about this game
Chromehounds - interesting, as I always liked the mechwarrior games as a kid, but havn't played any mecha combat games for....14 years-ish
99 Nights - liked it, but not enough to buy it. If I feel like playing Dynasty Warriors, then I pop in either DW or SW, and can play multiplayer.
Dead Rising - Was pretty cool, how can one not like zombies? Didn't hold my interest for more than a weekend though.
Saint's Row - No thanks. Although I'm sure it adds lots, I just don't care for that GTA-esque genre
Xbox Live - Only have a silver account. Couldn't ever find anyone to play with on the games I play when I had a gold account for a month.

Hmmm..it looks like I'm just trying to justify moving to ps2, but this isn't the case. I love my 360, love it. It's so nice. Beautiful gameplay and graphics, HD connectivity and support, the HD-DVD drive now (which I don't have yet, but if I keep it should be a post christmas purchase), it's just good! I love everything about it...except the games. Every game I own for my 360, I could have gotten on ps2.

If my kids hadn't destroyed my ps2's laser, and my HD loader disc, I'd probably still be playing it. Was so addicted to the JP Berserk game over the summer, which is now stranded on the 200 gig HDD just begging someone to save it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif (and no, before anyone flames, it's not pirated, it's imported. I didn't have my ps2 modded to play it though, so I had to install on HDD to get it to work for me)

Sychosis
Nov 23, 2006, 07:28 PM
On 2006-11-23 16:04, Maskim wrote:

On 2006-11-23 15:37, Sychosis wrote:

Oh, we're not on different servers. She's on slot 2 while I tower over her on slots 1 and 3. Buyng a second 360 when the first only gets used for one game, bascally...ugh. Although it sure would be nice if I had enough extra money laying around for that to really be an option. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I realized that after re-reading. It was one of those "wait a second..." type moments http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

As far as a second 360 goes, a $200 HD-DVD add-on is awfully close to another $300 Xbox 360...

Synth
Nov 23, 2006, 08:36 PM
It's kinda hard making this decision. But I can tell you what I would do in your situation. You have said about what games you don't like. What do you like? My suggestion is to figure out what is going to be coming out on the 360 in the genres that interest you. Then after you do figure that out, see if they are multi-platform. Also, you will lose a significant amount of money trading in. Honestly, I would not trade it in unless I was absolutely sure I wasn’t going to use it and I would not kick myself later on. I think a better idea would be to get two PC versions if you have two PCs or getting a used ps2 and playing together ps2/PC. Maybe trade in your 360 version for the others and sell your chars/meseta on ebay...lol jk.

-Ryuki-
Nov 23, 2006, 08:58 PM
Do it Maskim, so I can play with you!

lavosmanx
Nov 23, 2006, 09:49 PM
All I have to say is... What kind of guy has a question like that? Are you TRYING to sleep on the couch? If you put yourself before your wife, you are going to suffer. That's how it is with marriage. Heres what you do, discuss it with her first and see what she thinks about gaming with you one on one. See what she says, afterall there may be xbox games she likes too.

Majadamus
Nov 23, 2006, 10:01 PM
Get a PS3. It plays PS2 games as well.

Lovejuice
Nov 23, 2006, 10:25 PM
Hours of fun with anyone truly significant to you IRL > Hours of fun by yourself with a semi-decent character.

This game is all about community, chatter and flashing off your pretty togs to other people. You can't do these things by yourself.

Maskim
Nov 24, 2006, 02:20 AM
On 2006-11-23 17:36, Synth wrote:
It's kinda hard making this decision. But I can tell you what I would do in your situation. You have said about what games you don't like. What do you like? My suggestion is to figure out what is going to be coming out on the 360 in the genres that interest you. Then after you do figure that out, see if they are multi-platform. Also, you will lose a significant amount of money trading in. Honestly, I would not trade it in unless I was absolutely sure I wasn’t going to use it and I would not kick myself later on. I think a better idea would be to get two PC versions if you have two PCs or getting a used ps2 and playing together ps2/PC. Maybe trade in your 360 version for the others and sell your chars/meseta on ebay...lol jk.

Some really good thoughts there Synth. As to games I do like..well, anymore, with the direct correlation of the older I get the less time I have to game, I tend to just play either RPGs, Dynasty Warriors kinds of combat/character building games, and the occaisional RPG/strategy (like La Pucelle). 10 years ago, if you had asked I'd have said anything but sports games (except for Mutant League Football. Damn I loved that game. Kept my Genesis until 2001 just for that game:) )

I think the PC version idea might be a good one, as my wife's computer will just need a new video card to run it well above the required specs, and my laptop should run it well too, just needing to get a controller and a cord to use my tv for the monitor.

Also, as to the trade in loss, I'm willing to take some loss, but not as big as trading in would be. I've put some feelers out on craigslist, and am getting some good nibbles so far. If I go that route I'll be selling it at a 30% loss, as opposed to the 60-70% loss of going to gamestop. Thank you to everyone with their opinions in this matter.

On 2006-11-23 17:58, RyukiZero wrote:
Do it Maskim, so I can play with you!

It looks like I will be! Save me a spot in universe 15. If all goes well I hope to be back on gaming by the end of the weekend. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

-Ryuki-
Nov 24, 2006, 02:58 AM
Unfortunately, I work all weekend. In about four hours, I'm to head to the mall, buy my Wii, and come back just so that I can get some sleep for work at 1 PM.

Which is why I'm staying up, for three hours.

Maskim
Nov 24, 2006, 03:02 AM
On 2006-11-23 23:58, RyukiZero wrote:
Unfortunately, I work all weekend. In about four hours, I'm to head to the mall, buy my Wii, and come back just so that I can get some sleep for work at 1 PM.

Which is why I'm staying up, for three hours.

Niiiice. Get Zelda...except then we won't see you on PSU for a while.

SolRiver
Nov 24, 2006, 03:12 AM
Well... getting a PS2 now would be kind of not worth it. Soon it would be replace by ps3/others.

If you must switch, focusing on PC would be better still. (only 1 copy of PSU is needed for PC to install software on infinite number of PC) While use the money for PC controllers (keep xbox360 controller).

Xbox 360 at least got a future, PS2 don't.

Of course, being able to play with your wife should be the highest priority.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SolRiver on 2006-11-24 00:16 ]</font>

-Ryuki-
Nov 24, 2006, 03:21 AM
Heck no. The first game I'm getting is Trauma Center. Trauma Center > Zelda.

Then again, I'm getting Zelda later XD I'm no fanboy of Zelda though, that's why I'm not so "big" on it.

Maskim
Nov 24, 2006, 03:40 AM
Zelda's awesome! I havn't played any since N64, granted, but I can still remember playing it the first time on NES. Rented it so many times, my ma woulda been so much better off just buying it. By the time she finally did a year later, she probably already could have like 4 times. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I considered doing that with the controllers Sol, but I'm getting $50 for the extra one, the regular price of it, since I have the play and charge adapter on it as well. With the 50$ I figure I can get 2 nice rumbley PC controllers at walmart and still have $20 left over.

Oh ya, got a buyer, btw. Taking a total 25-30% loss. Will definatly be on PC this weekend.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Maskim on 2006-11-24 00:42 ]</font>

Maskim
Nov 24, 2006, 03:59 AM
Ok, so new purpose for this thread. Who wants my stuff? Would prefer a noobish or EU player that can actually use it. Got nicely ground elemental hunter and ranger weapons, good from about lvl 5-...well there's not too much better at this point in the game. I'm so going to miss my +5 50% twin ice rippers. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Silver_Wyrm
Nov 24, 2006, 04:45 AM
On 2006-11-23 19:01, Majadamus wrote:
Get a PS3. It plays PS2 games as well.

my friend bought one and hes usually at work so... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif it sliek I got a free ps3, all the quirks that anoyed me, if slightly, in the ps2 version are gone and it has made me happy http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif but the ps3 is very expensive, so I would suggest that only if your a big fan or sure of the invesment (though the blue ray reader is a certain plus)