PDA

View Full Version : PSU review by SUPER PLAY

etlitch
Nov 24, 2006, 10:20 AM
The game got 4/10. They're just reviewing the network mode and the whole thing is is swedish, so I'm just going to translate the bad parts.

- Max player count per missions is only 6, you'l meet the rest in the oversized lobby. They tried to make a "MMO", just without the first "M" - which stands for "massive"

- No exploration, you start in a space station and can access 3 other planets but where ever you go you'l just end up in something that seems like an oversized lobby.

- The shops (both npc and player ones) are mostly just annoying. Actually almost everything is annoying.

Take synthing for an example: If you want to synth something, you'l have to insert a board, store materials in storage, select materials to insert and take out finished item not to mention that you have to feed your robo friend items 1 at a time. This kind of problems exists everywhere in the game, absolutely nothing can be done smoothly and wasting time going through 4-5 text boxes/selections for every item you want to synth/buy/whatever quickly gets old.

- All the missions are boring. Your character has to run through linear levels and mostly tiny levels doing nothing but killing monsters. Most of the monsters are just reskinned variants of the basic ones: the large, the small and the ones that stands on 4 legs. None of them are even fun to defeat, no matter if your character level is 1 or 50 killing simmilar to your level simply takes too long time to even count or get anywhere close to being described as "entertaining".

- The lame combat system. Your melee or spellcasting avatar is as agile as a sumo-wrestler, the combos are short and boring and none of the current available weapons feels smooth or fun when used.

- It might seem fun to grind experience and money points to get some new abilities at the start, but from there it only gets worse and worse as you struggle through annoying menues and bash at the same subborn and boring monster for the millionth time.

Final score:

Graphics - 5, Neon colours everywhere! :(
Sound - 3, Blip, blopp, ambient sounds. Huh, hurrr, harr, and repeat.
Controls - 5, Somewhere below average
Lifelength - 6, Well at least you can grind for awhile.
Total - 4, Feels like a time-machine, just in the wrong direction.

Actually, I'm going have to agree 100% with this review. It's as honest as it can be - this game was a flop. Too bad for me I'm too "hardcore" to quit playing it, yet.

Edg3
Nov 24, 2006, 10:26 AM
PSU got a bad review? SHOCKING!

Haven't seen this same thread 10 other times

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Edg3 on 2006-11-24 07:26 ]</font>

HiKeRI
Nov 24, 2006, 10:31 AM
That review is "annoying" and "boring" lmao they are not reviewing there, they are whining on it xD.

Neith
Nov 24, 2006, 10:34 AM
PSU isn't an MMO. Review fails.

Reading that actually, the whole review is biased to hell.

Sick of seeing negative reviews slating the game, just because it's getting compared to MMORPGs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UrikoBB3 on 2006-11-24 07:34 ]</font>

Nayte
Nov 24, 2006, 10:36 AM
If you're going to post a review, why only post the negative comments? It's pretty pointless otherwise.

HiKeRI
Nov 24, 2006, 10:41 AM
Well they should'of noticed that the oversized lobbies are just used so people dont get on the same tiny lobby pso used to have, the synth's are just a challenge for the hardcore players, the missions are suppose to be like that anyway (I'am sure that in the future these missions will change), the combat system seems originall which it was a smart part of SEGA and finally the monsters are just fine (PSO was like this anywayz?) and on every other games its the same thing.

etlitch
Nov 24, 2006, 10:41 AM
Nayte wrote:why only post the negative comments? It's pretty pointless otherwise.

There were'nt any positive comments d(^^)b

UrikoBB3 wrote:
PSU isn't an MMO. Review fails.

They tried to make a "MMO", just without the first "M" - which stands for "massive"

Oops, your eyes fails.

Datman6699
Nov 24, 2006, 10:42 AM
seems like every review is putting PSU up to WoW. i hope, with updates to come, that PSU will blow other online RPG's away.

Edg3
Nov 24, 2006, 11:00 AM
PSO is as much an MMO as guild wars is. I think guild wars is the closest game that you can compare it to.

panzer_unit
Nov 24, 2006, 11:05 AM
Doing the same thing over and over is BAD? It sounds like Super Play pretty much hates _all_ videogames. Seriously, what's their basis of comparison there? The review is just a ton of bitching. Phantasy Star Universe isn't doing anything horribly different from a billion other big name 3rd person action (Dynasty Warriors, DMC) or online (Guild Wars) games, so anyone taking a huge crap on it for anything besides un-originality... pretty much an auto-fail.

I was sort of peeved about the monsters being re-skins (Dimmu especially, I mean COME ON ITS A BOSS) when Moatoob opened, but the larger creatures (at the very least) are reasonably different to fight than their look-alikes elsewhere.

etlitch
Nov 24, 2006, 11:07 AM
Datman6699 wrote:WoW

I'm tired at people whinning that all reviews are comparing this game with wow.

Ok let's compare:

Max player count: 6 players. 6 PLAYERS. Seriously, you don't need a MMORPG to be able to play with more than 6 players. Command and conquer freaking beat 6 players. Quake and diablo beats 6 players.

Exploration: same here. Fantasy game should mean exploration MOST OF THE FANTASY GAMES. Only relative "modern" that does'nt beat this is either the Multiplayer FPS game(did someone mention 6 players??) and perhaps the strategy games. Maybe some others, but I doubt that this game fits into any of the other categories.

Menues and shopping: Seriously, this kind of bullshit ruins the game. I want to play and not click around in menues and selections for every thing I do. Any "decent" game does'nt have this kind of problems.

Combat systems: Why even bother? All MMORPGs have lame and mostly point and click combat systems limited by the players connection speeds. Complaining that this game is being compared to wow at this aspect is'nt even a proper excuse. This game is'nt a MMO, it's combat system is awesome compared to the ones of MMOs but crappy compared to non-MMOs.

Grind: This is not a MMO. Why is there grinding? It's supposed to be entertaining like how I find playing force in groove runs is entertaining no matter what level or equips my character has.

HiKeRI
Nov 24, 2006, 11:13 AM
Grind is not supposed to be entertaining, it supposed to be challenging, the menues are ok from what i see, its not a big deal to me since its not affecting with "my" gameplay, the exploration seems decent it compares to what PSO was but better.

etlitch
Nov 24, 2006, 11:19 AM
Good for you. Those are your opinions. That review was based on the reviewers opinions.

I wrote my earlier post just to show everyone who's complains about "OMG THEY'RE COMPARING IT WIT WOW, IT'S NO FAIR!!1" how true some of the reviews are with out even needing to compare it with WoW. It also knocks them out of the mindset where they use "OMG THEY'RE COMPARING IT WIT WOW, IT'S NO FAIR!!1" as a excuse for every review that points out the cons of PSU.

The "generic crowd", they read someones opinion, finds it acceptable and uses it as their own opinion everytime the same question or situation arrives. Without even questioning or thinking it themselves. Just as awesome as those random players I met who made me create this thread (http://pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=127833&forum=20&35).

I'm not as mean as this usually, it's probaly just because I'm hungry, or having PMs. Your choice.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: etlitch on 2006-11-24 08:24 ]</font>

Niered
Nov 24, 2006, 11:30 AM
Y HULLO THAR.

Names Niered. Now, Ive been actively going around these forums for a little over a year now, ever since I heard about PSU, searchin' for info on what I thought to be my next favorite game. I know alot more than your average n00b, and I thought I might just start out my first post here by putting my 2 cents in.

First things first?

STOP FUCKING RAGGIN' ON MY COMBAT SYSTEM YOU DUNDERHEADED MORONIC FOOLS OF DIMWITTED SUMBYTCHES.

The last time I checked, PSU is a action RPG (p.s. =O) Now, Ive played my fair share of Action RPG's, and ive never played one that had more than 4 buttons assigned to combat. Point being, that theyre all pretty simple when it comes down to it. And PSU is no exception. Ya got your attack, your special attack, and your offhand weapon. Nothing crazy about that, but it gets the job done. I personally find the ability to link comnbos to multiple special attack hits quite entertaining.

Now, at this point Id like to investigate that scoring chart a little more:

Graphics: 5 So...wait...were complaining about graphics...on a PS2 title...a peice of hardware that has been out for half a decade...thats...thats geenyus. Really im stunned. Thats like saying that Mario 64 looks like shyt on the N64. HULLLLOOOOOOOO....THE GAME DONT FOCUS ON POLYGON COUNT PEOPLES. IT MORE THAN MAKES UP FOR IT IN ARTISTIC STYLING.

Sounds: 3 ITS AN ACTION RPG. OF COURSE YOUR GOING TO HEAR THE SAME SLASHY NOISES. Your using blades, they all make slashy noises! And on top of this, when has Sonic Team ever let us down in the music department? Take a trip to Mellvore, and check out the theme that is reminiscent of mines. Its QUITE awesome.

Controls: 5 Im sorry? Have any of you ever found PSU's controls to be a little less than solid? SIMPLE yes, but do they ever give you trouble? NO! Why? Because they are intuitive! Strafing and lock on is the same as a Zelda game! ITS A TRIED AND TRUE SYSTEM. I swear they just wanted to score it low on this for the hell of it.

Lifelength:6 5 YEARS OF CONTENT PLANNED AND AN EXPANSION PACK IN THE WORKS PLUS NETWORK AND SINGLE PLAYER MODES AND BI-MONTHLY UPDATES. YOUR NUMBERS FAIL.

Now then. As you can see, I am quite diametrically opposed to this review. Now I am not going to say, OHEMGEE STFU UR REVIEW SUKS, because we are all entitled to our opinions. But what I will say is that the review, and others like it, do not seem prepared to judge something like PSU. Why? well quite simply, there are no games out there like it. The only 2 games that come close are Monster Hunter (Another incredible game, that also got lackluster reviews) And the original PSO.

In fact, I think that the only way one can truly review this game, is if you were to live in an asian country, such as japan or korea, because they get a lot more of these Online Action RPG's then we do. AND ZOMG. FAMITSU GAVE IT 30/40. GEUSS WHAT ELSE? Monster Hunter's Reviews in japan were high too! MAYBE ITS CUZ THEY KNOW WHAT THEYRE TALKING ABOUT! =O

Diablohead
Nov 24, 2006, 12:23 PM
The point of ps is neons anyway, it makes the game stick out to the other 99% of games that are all based in the past!

Wheatpenny
Nov 24, 2006, 12:42 PM
Niered... You are now my new personal hero.I read that whack ass review as well but you took the words out of my mouth.That review is total crap along with the one IGN did as well.So far the only worth while reveiw was by 1up.com

Niered
Nov 24, 2006, 12:49 PM
Thank you wheatpeny, but like i said, I wouldnt say the review is total crap since it is their opinion, but I would say that they really need to look at things a bit more...objectively.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Nov 24, 2006, 01:04 PM
Such an insightful review, allow me to summarize it: "LOL WE DUN LIEK DA GAEM IDKLOL"

Neith
Nov 24, 2006, 01:12 PM
On 2006-11-24 07:41, etlitch wrote:
Oops, your eyes fails.

Read what I wrote, for christ's sake. The review says 'They tried to make an MMO'. SEGA didn't. They made an online role-playing game, NOT AN MMO. MMO is Massively Multiplayer. PSU isn't big enough to qualify as one, especially in US/EU.

PSO/PSU are NOT MMORPG's because they lack the community size. If anything, they're more like Guild Wars (by the way, which also ISN'T an MMORPG). I do Computer Games Design at degree-level, and I've done a module, of which half a year consisted of defining game genres. I know what an MMO is, and PSU isn't one.

Good to see people like this plaguing the PSU boards, like we didn't have enough of this with PSO.

Haruka-sama
Nov 24, 2006, 01:26 PM
This kind of problems exists everywhere in the game, absolutely nothing can be done smoothly and wasting time going through 4-5 text boxes/selections for every item you want to synth/buy/whatever quickly gets old.

Oh no, 4 - 5 text boxes! All our thumbs will fall off! =(

Wheatpenny
Nov 24, 2006, 01:43 PM
On 2006-11-24 10:26, Haruka-sama wrote:

This kind of problems exists everywhere in the game, absolutely nothing can be done smoothly and wasting time going through 4-5 text boxes/selections for every item you want to synth/buy/whatever quickly gets old.

Oh no, 4 - 5 text boxes! All our thumbs will fall off! =(

Yeah I know right? Heaven forbid we actualy have to read.OMG DEREZ IZ TEXT!!!!ITS OVER 9000!!! Lol

twopartsdone
Nov 24, 2006, 01:44 PM
On 2006-11-24 08:00, Edg3 wrote:
PSO is as much an MMO as guild wars is. I think guild wars is the closest game that you can compare it to.

I disagree. I believe you can only compare PSU to either PSO or the Diablo series. Other MMOs such as WoW, GW, hell even Everquest, are radically different to compare them with PSU. A reason why reviewers are not lenient on PSU could be that it uses the same winning/proven formula that made PSO outstanding during its time. That was five years ago. Everyone expects 'innovations' in anything these days and as a fact you find little to none of that in PSU. To me, PSU is PSO 3.0

Niered
Nov 24, 2006, 01:50 PM
EXACTLY twopartsdone. Not always does something need to add a helluva lot in order to be succesful. PSO was a wonderful game, what sega has masterfully done is simply add to what worked, making it better. The fact that the game is not a complete departure from the original is a huge reason why so many reviewers have a problem with it apparently.

This is why the stigma isnt just confined to people comparing it to WoW, but comparing it to other online games in general.

AkiraXxx
Nov 24, 2006, 02:10 PM
Sega made the mistake of advertising this in a sense that it was supposed to be a massive mmo. Even on IGN's front page. This game is more like those D&D dungeon crawlers, champions of norath, its that style but with a few more features. If sega would have advertised it as that instead of making it seem like a massive mmo, im sure this game would have got wayyyyy better reviews from every site. All these sites compare the game to current mmo's out already which contradicts itself doing that, because those other mmos have been out for months and years! Any site reviewing like that is instant fail.

Creasian
Nov 24, 2006, 02:22 PM
Most people focus on network mode because they are too lazy or dont care enough to beat the storymode fully to fully unlock extra mode and to then relvl and see all the content.

Network mode should count alot towards multiplayer scores and if these reviewers did extra mode fully unlocked they would give a current score and then a pre-emptive score with all content unlocked in network mode in mind.

However the basic gameplay, graphic, sound, and replay values all exist on extra mode. You just cant expect quality when people who review dont care to use the effort to see it.

Xeraphim
Nov 24, 2006, 02:39 PM
On 2006-11-24 07:20, etlitch wrote:
PSU review by SUPER PLAY

Who?

AkiraXxx
Nov 24, 2006, 02:40 PM
On 2006-11-24 11:39, Xeraphim wrote:

PSU review by SUPER PLAY

Who?

That was my first reaction as well. Kudos

Dihnekis
Nov 24, 2006, 03:00 PM
Reviews of this game are pointless. The game doesn't even start getting fun until the expert classes, and those aren't even out yet.

MrGrieves
Nov 24, 2006, 03:18 PM
I've thought about the "every level has da same 3-5 types on monsters!1" fact of the game myself, and I've come to the conclusion that the selection is monsters is quite good.
In WoW there were about 500 reskins of the Murloc creatures (murgurgle muturlee blarbgalrlbalgbl!), a different type of bear for every wilderness area, and usually the only differences between most mobs in an area is that one might attack slow but hard, one might attack light and fast, and one might use magic or bow/crossbow/gun to attack from a range. If you think about the different characters from most games, PSU does quite well in my opinion.

Also, I find the fact that all the battles are instanced to be a good thing. In fact, it's not very different than WoW endgame - you spend time in town (lobby) looking for members to go to your instance, then 6 people run to the end of the instance. Most of the time you wouldn't get Rare Drop X for your character, so you rinse and repeat. In PSU, it's just faster and easier to find a group, and it doesn't take you 20 minutes to get to the location of the dungeon you want to fight through, and another 15 minutes for the ganking member of the other faction to let you through the gate.
Exploration? Bleh, sure, checking out all the various caves was fun sometimes, but really served no practical purpose except for being able to say "yeah, turns out there was a chest with 30 silver coins, a minor health potion and 3 shiny red apples in the back of that wrecked fort" afterwards.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MrGrieves on 2006-11-24 12:19 ]</font>

Cross
Nov 24, 2006, 03:31 PM
That's a bad review.

Which isn't to say that PSU isn't flawed, because it is - in some cases, very deeply flawed - but rather that they're complaining about design decisions that make the absolute most sense in context with the rest of the game, making complaints extending valid, specific complaints to cover broad aspects of the game where they become completely invalid, and making some complaints that are just flat out wrong.

There are some valid and intelligent ways to justify giving PSU a 4/10. These reviewers aren't very good, unless the entire point was lost in translation.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cross on 2006-11-24 12:32 ]</font>

Kura_Kai
Nov 24, 2006, 03:47 PM
I think we should come up with our own review that doesn't compare it to anything other than PSO.

Gameplay - 7/10 Yes it does repeat and a bit annoying, but your doing it for something and the hours fly by. I have done 6 De Ragan runs in a row and each time it is just a fun and what do you know you got some decent money and 3-4 hours went by.

Content - 6/10 It is lacking somewhat but it is going to get updated, it was either updates or wait 6 more months for it to release with most of the content.

Controls - 9/10 Combos are easy to do and not to complicated for new users to remember. And after 70 hours of game play I finally saw some do a combo, on melee weapons you have to level up the photon art before you can use them.

Sounds - 8/10 The sounds are great even the background music on any level is good enough to listen to outside of the game. The sounds are randomly chosen depending on where you hit,what your hitting with, and the damage you did. Some sounds like you cut through all they way while others sound like you cut partially.

Lifelength - 7/10 The people who don't like this style are going to drop out in like another month or so. Then there isn't going to be as much people but the updates and expansions will bring the true pso/psu fans out. It's nice to know that in like 3 months that the only people who are playing are people who like the game.

Overall - 8/10 This game is superb for right now even if it is lacking some stuff. It is no mmorpg, the lobbys are meant to chat in and discuss the game and the 6 member partys is for friends and such.

KiteWolfwood
Nov 24, 2006, 04:15 PM
I swear I think these reviewers went into the wrong business. They should have been comedians because this is just hilarious.

Shadow_Wing
Nov 24, 2006, 04:19 PM
I've started to ignore reviewers, cause 90% of the time they're wrong about a game...

I believe in trying a game out and seeing if I like it, and if I do I win.

Pretty much in a nutshell, reviewers are only one person's opinion and it'll freeze in hell before one person opinion even sways my opinion about anything.

- Max player count per missions is only 6, you'l meet the rest in the oversized lobby. They tried to make a "MMO", just without the first "M" - which stands for "massive"

If it was a MMO in the 1st place... *rolls eyes*

- No exploration, you start in a space station and can access 3 other planets but where ever you go you'l just end up in something that seems like an oversized lobby.

Might want to redefine your defination of exploration *rolls eyes*

- The shops (both npc and player ones) are mostly just annoying. Actually almost everything is annoying.

Take synthing for an example: If you want to synth something, you'l have to insert a board, store materials in storage, select materials to insert and take out finished item not to mention that you have to feed your robo friend items 1 at a time. This kind of problems exists everywhere in the game, absolutely nothing can be done smoothly and wasting time going through 4-5 text boxes/selections for every item you want to synth/buy/whatever quickly gets old.

You have problems scrolling through menus... have you played an MMO before? *rolls eyes*

- All the missions are boring. Your character has to run through linear levels and mostly tiny levels doing nothing but killing monsters. Most of the monsters are just reskinned variants of the basic ones: the large, the small and the ones that stands on 4 legs. None of them are even fun to defeat, no matter if your character level is 1 or 50 killing simmilar to your level simply takes too long time to even count or get anywhere close to being described as "entertaining".

AGAIN have you ever played an online game before? *rolls eyes*

- The lame combat system. Your melee or spellcasting avatar is as agile as a sumo-wrestler, the combos are short and boring and none of the current available weapons feels smooth or fun when used.

Agile as a sumo-wresler... refer to the above 2 responses, and quite frankly PSU's avatars move much better than most online game's I've played *rolls eyes*

- It might seem fun to grind experience and money points to get some new abilities at the start, but from there it only gets worse and worse as you struggle through annoying menues and bash at the same subborn and boring monster for the millionth time.

REFER TO THE ABOVE 4, ya heard me 4 responses about this review

Final score:

Graphics - 5, Neon colours everywhere! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif
Controls - 5, Somewhere below average
Lifelength - 6, Well at least you can grind for awhile.
Total - 4, Feels like a time-machine, just in the wrong direction.

lolsuperplay

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadow_Wing on 2006-11-24 13:26 ]</font>

PJ
Nov 24, 2006, 04:38 PM

This review is done like dinner.

If this game sucks so much, being, "Too hardcore to quit," is bullshit.

I like people who say it's a flop. If it's a flop, get the fuck out.

Xeraphim
Nov 24, 2006, 04:45 PM
Honestly, I really want to know. Who are these Super Play people? And why should I listen to their 1337 review?

Valleo
Nov 24, 2006, 04:54 PM
The game got 4/10. They're just reviewing the network mode and the whole thing is is swedish, so I'm just going to translate the bad parts.

Sigh. What I dont get is why anyone thinks anyone else gives a f**k about a review made a a swedish game reviewer on a game they obviously enjoy, and play. Coming up next, a review by my grandmother translated from Greek.

Who cares? You dont like the game, thats fine, just say that and be on your way. We dont need endless reviews confirming either your negative or positive reviews on the game.

Phaze37
Nov 24, 2006, 06:53 PM
In every review I've read for PSU, they fail to mention the game's best features, the things that set the game apart from WoW and MMORPGs in general. Real-time combat. Accessible gameplay. The lack of timesinks. People who read these reviews are going to think that it's just a bad WoW clone, because the reviewers fail to point out that it's a completely different style of game, and fail to point out these qualities that makes it different. I can't stand the point-click-and-watch combat of MMORPGs, so the real time combat in PSU suits me much better. This game is far easier to jump in and play compared to MMORPGs, because forming a party takes time in other games while it's very fast in PSU. And PSU doesn't waste your time by making you spend 10 minutes riding a griffon to get to a different area. WoW practically plays itself, whereas in PSU you have to manually evade attacks; you actually PLAY THE GAME instead of letting your stats do all the work. MMORPGs are so simple to play that gold farmers often play multiple characters at once, or program bots to do their dirty work for them. I'd like to see someone play multiple characters or program a meseta farming bot in PSU.

I have no problem with them giving the game a bad score and saying it's a bad game; after all PSU does have flaws, and they're entitled to their opinion. But failing to mention ANY of the game's positive aspects just reeks of bias, especially when these same websites give WoW a perfect or near perfect score without mentioning that the game purposefully and unnecessarily wastes your time by forcing you to use transportation that takes up alot of time when they could have easily given you some kind of magic teleporter instead. Blizzard does this so that you spend more time playing the game and pay them more money, while in PSU getting from place is fast and easy. The lack of exploration is a GOOD feature.

atomisk
Nov 24, 2006, 07:38 PM
I feel like everyones response to the reviews are that they should have been expecting mediocrity. The thing all of you are missing is that when you charge a monthly fee LIKE an MMO then the game should be held to the same standard. and the truth is, the game IS dated, the shopping system IS awful (dont deny it, its rediculous that you cant specify that you want the actual item or the board or that you have to go to the store to see the price) but you all are willing to live with it.

Lavernius
Nov 24, 2006, 08:12 PM
On 2006-11-24 16:38, atomisk wrote:
I feel like everyones response to the reviews are that they should have been expecting mediocrity. The thing all of you are missing is that when you charge a monthly fee LIKE an MMO then the game should be held to the same standard. and the truth is, the game IS dated, the shopping system IS awful (dont deny it, its rediculous that you cant specify that you want the actual item or the board or that you have to go to the store to see the price) but you all are willing to live with it.

As your title suggests, why do you bother. If you don't like this game, stop trying to convince its hardcore fans otherwise.
Also, I'd like to state that even though the other reviews may have a slight point about PSU's blunders (not that I completely agree,) this reviewer obviously has no idea what they're talking about. Why would I, a die hard fan of PSU, care what a Swedish noob has to say about my favorite game anyway?

Alisha
Nov 24, 2006, 08:29 PM
i'm sick of every online rpg being compared to WOW. news flash some people dont like wow. i in fact hated it for many reasons one of them being art direction in wich both ffxi and psu,heck even pso kill wow in.

Genobee
Nov 24, 2006, 09:10 PM
Since when do the sweads have an opinion or take sides?

KirinDave
Nov 24, 2006, 09:13 PM
On 2006-11-24 08:07, etlitch wrote:

Datman6699 wrote:WoW
I'm tired at people whinning that all reviews are comparing this game with wow.

So am I. Reviewers are by and large stupid. Comparing PSU with WoW is like comparing Diablo II with WoW. You can do it, but it isn't really right.

Max player count: 6 players. 6 PLAYERS. Seriously, you don't need a MMORPG to be able to play with more than 6 players. Command and conquer freaking beat 6 players. Quake and diablo beats 6 players.

I wish I could set my entire life by a schedule demanded by a game with groups of 20-40 players. I wish I could have runs aborted because one healer too many had to go.

I wish I had to "just live with" [racist, bigoted, annoying] people in my guild because it's the only one I can join to clear that content. I wish I could do this for months at a time so that I could get items that I need just to be accepted into other content.

Exploration: same here. Fantasy game should mean exploration MOST OF THE FANTASY GAMES. Only relative "modern" that does'nt beat this is either the Multiplayer FPS game(did someone mention 6 players??) and perhaps the strategy games. Maybe some others, but I doubt that this game fits into any of the other categories.

Yeah. Exploration. Right. FFXI and WoW simply were not that big. Sure, you could walk to a lot of different places. Sadly, these different places all looked the same. You would be lucky to see some new monsters.

Menues and shopping: Seriously, this kind of bullshit ruins the game. I want to play and not click around in menues and selections for every thing I do. Any "decent" game does'nt have this kind of problems.

PSU's menu interface sucks. Sonic Team short their ID bolt in the combat interface, which is natural. I wish it weren't so, but it is.

Combat systems: Why even bother? All MMORPGs have lame and mostly point and click combat systems limited by the players connection speeds. Complaining that this game is being compared to wow at this aspect is'nt even a proper excuse. This game is'nt a MMO, it's combat system is awesome compared to the ones of MMOs but crappy compared to non-MMOs.

PSU has the single most engaging and skill-rewarding combat system of any game even close to its genre. You can dodge, move, and your positioning matters in a variety of ways. Everything in WoW in a homing missile. Everything in FFXI just hits you, it doesn't even bother homing.

In PSU, you know your personal performance matters when you hear, "Oh crap, don't get hit by the Megid."

Grind: This is not a MMO. Why is there grinding? It's supposed to be entertaining like how I find playing force in groove runs is entertaining no matter what level or equips my character has.

No game can deliver continuously new content to statisfy the gamer with no life. Either you build in repetition to your content, or you have a 60 hour game tops. If you don't like repeating content, either get a PvP game (which has its own set of problems) or play offline.

Lavernius
Nov 24, 2006, 09:36 PM
On 2006-11-24 18:10, Genobee wrote:
Since when do the sweads have an opinion or take sides?

Hey, I'm just saying that different countries usually have different preferences, and since I don't live in Sweden, I don't care what they have to say.

rythmic
Nov 24, 2006, 09:50 PM
I love hearing people talk bad about the combat system in this game.
Much better than a lot of other rpgs where I point and click and watch my character do the same basic attack. Then hit one of my number keys to do a spell or skill.

:/

Tuxedose
Nov 25, 2006, 07:40 AM
Ok we all have our opinions but PSU is not a flop just cuase it get bad reviews. We are may many many players who love this game. Its a blast. And with more content coming it willl only get bigger and better. I liked story mode and I love Network mode. So my point is as long as there are alot of people playing it its not a flop a game flops when it does sell so badly that it cannot stay in the stores and that is not the case of psu in any country at all. My point is made.

Ryudo
Nov 25, 2006, 10:12 AM
SUPER PLAY is, for all intents and purposes, a nintendo magazine, they only ever started reviewing games on other consoles to whine about them and rant about nintendo's superiority.

Also the editor works for a neo-nazi newspaper too.

I lol'd

Cameroon1027
Nov 25, 2006, 10:26 AM
I wonder what X play on G4 will give PSU?

Also i positively love story mode. and network mode. these reviewers are wrong! psu will get so much better when updates come in.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cameroon1027 on 2006-11-25 07:27 ]</font>

Xeraphim
Nov 25, 2006, 11:22 AM
On 2006-11-25 07:12, Ryudo wrote:
SUPER PLAY is, for all intents and purposes, a nintendo magazine, they only ever started reviewing games on other consoles to whine about them and rant about nintendo's superiority.

Also the editor works for a neo-nazi newspaper too.

I lol'd

Rotflcopter.

Niered
Nov 25, 2006, 12:40 PM
^most relevant peice of information offered in this post.

My last word on these sorts of reviews? Online games are all too often stuck in a box and expected to stay there. When a game does break the mold, all it seems to garner is bad reviews for not being like other big names.

Xeraphim
Nov 25, 2006, 01:50 PM
It's all about taste, really. Japan gives most games in the same genre as PSU good scores because they are usually big hits in Japan. The American gamer has an entirely different perception of what makes an online game a successful one. We look to games like World of Warcraft, Guild Wars and others to get our idea of an MMO. PSU is more of the mainstream type of MMO in Japan. I can't speak for the Swedish, of course.

As far as breaking the mold, unless it's done perfectly, it won't be considered breaking the mold; it'll just be filed as a failure to the American gamer.

Xbob
Nov 25, 2006, 02:53 PM
The combos are indeed short. Man, I remember the 40-hit combos I did on Guild Wars and WoW and EQ and CoH...

...Oh...wait...

Lavernius
Nov 25, 2006, 04:46 PM
On 2006-11-25 11:53, Xbob wrote:
The combos are indeed short. Man, I remember the 40-hit combos I did on Guild Wars and WoW and EQ and CoH...

...Oh...wait...

lol!

Rhylsh
Nov 25, 2006, 09:26 PM
On 2006-11-25 11:53, Xbob wrote:

...Oh...wait...

and the fact thatin WoW any combo longer than 1 move could be macroed down to a single button... or you could use an addon to move 7 skills into one button press (on a class with 8 buttons to begin with...). 1337.

edit: learning to spell "quote"...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rhylsh on 2006-11-25 18:32 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rhylsh on 2006-11-25 18:34 ]</font>

daylight129
Nov 25, 2006, 10:25 PM
That review is bitching.

Finalzone
Nov 26, 2006, 02:39 AM
Lame review indeed. As many people pointed out, PSU is more like Diablo or even Zelda Ocarina of Time i.e Action RPG. The game is only a month old and online gamers in NA barely scratch the surface. It won't be surprise a Xmas theme will be available soon.

Eternal_Drake
Nov 26, 2006, 02:40 AM
Wow some shitty gaming site I have never heard of gave a game I play a negative review I think I will make a thread about it.

vanhalendlrband
Nov 26, 2006, 03:30 AM
Sega's milking the name. Turn-based or its not Phantasy star