PDA

View Full Version : PSU-PC: Graphics Tweaking

Char
Nov 24, 2006, 03:42 PM
Ok all well ever since moatoob opened i've been having some slow down on my computer. All the other planets work fine but im guessing moatoob takes more oomph from a computer to run. Well anyway I was just wondering if anyone would help me by telling me what graphics settings I need so it runs smooth but I dont sacrifice too much. But if it comes between performance and graphics ill sacrifice the graphics. So here are my system specs.

XP home edition
SP2
Dell Dimension 4700
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS
Processor: Intel pentium 4 2.80 GHz (2CPUs)
Memory: 1524 MB RAM
Page File: 193 MB Used - 2094 avaliable.
Direct X 9.0
Video Card: Radeon x600xt Made by ATI
256 memory on the video card
1280x1024 Display mode.

There you have it. Thanks for your help!

Guitarsmasher
Nov 24, 2006, 03:48 PM
dizzam, nice, with all the stuff you need for a computer run PSU, i find it EXTREMELY hard to believe tht my ps2 runs it so smoothly. but for your problem, maybe you can make the window smaller?? idk how computer PSU runs, i obviously play it on ps2.

etlitch
Nov 24, 2006, 03:52 PM
Make sure to turn off all types of anti-aliasing on the options for your gfx card. You can also try to lower the game resolution.

AkiraXxx
Nov 24, 2006, 03:54 PM
Page File: 193 MB Used - 2094 avaliable

Change it to 2094-2094

Its in the advanced mycomputer options under advanced performance.

Char
Nov 24, 2006, 06:58 PM
Ok cool I did that. But is there any tips on what I should set my PSU settings as?

AkiraXxx
Nov 24, 2006, 07:00 PM
Set it at whatever your comp can handle lol. Theres only like 10 settings you can adjust.
I think i had the LOD at 64,32,32, wish I had my comp with me to tell you exactly. I had the settings on max everything, had to do windowed mode because this game doesnt support wide screen. Lame.

Char
Nov 24, 2006, 07:33 PM
i have no clue what half that stuff means.

GeoHolyhart
Nov 24, 2006, 07:50 PM
On 2006-11-24 16:33, Char wrote:
i have no clue what half that stuff means.

Go to your PSU options first and you'll know what it means. Well, where to find it at least that is.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GeoHolyhart on 2006-11-24 16:51 ]</font>

Char
Nov 25, 2006, 12:14 PM
ummm no. I wont be able to tell what post effects does by looking at it. Nor the LOD models and model display buffer.

Maskim
Nov 25, 2006, 01:07 PM
Post effects is like the photon colors on weapons and such. With it off, I noticed that give a major boost in performance.. but it jus don't look right, everyone having white toothpick sabers.

Gamemako
Nov 25, 2006, 02:20 PM
4096-4096 please. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

What is your monitor's size? If you have a 15" monitor, there is no reason for you to be using 1280. Also, what driver versions are you using? You might try using Omega's drivers as they tend to look noticably better than ATi's.

Other suggestions: overclock your card and proc a bit if your temps are cool enough. Close other useless programs running in the background. That means stupid things like the Quicktime quicklauncher and the such, as well as utterly useless shit like ZoneAlarm (my grandmother could hack the free version) and Norton anything (Norton is more a security risk than a protective program).

One thing I don't recommend is the frameskip. I can't get it to work right anywhere; it just seems to automatically lower you framerate to 15FPS all the time (even if you were running silky smooth before at full speed, it cuts your frames for God-knows-what reason).

Xbob
Nov 25, 2006, 02:39 PM
Frameskip runs right for most people. For every one frameskip, cut your current frames in half. It doesn't run as smoothly of course, but it won't slowdown.

Frameskip 0 = 60FPS lock
Frameskip 1 = 30FPS lock
Frameskip 2 = 15FPS lock
etc...

SolRiver
Nov 25, 2006, 09:32 PM
Similar spec to mine (except I got athlon).

I suggest lowering resolution (1024x768) and lower detail texture level, if you just want a bit faster speed without doing much to the hardware or driver etc.

Us dual core users suffer quite alot when it comes to PSU performance. So, we will have to sacrifise quite a few inch if we don't want to empty our pocket.

Someone else's 5 years old PC is running PSU better than mine. (with a graphic card upgrade and RAM up to 1gig)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SolRiver on 2006-11-25 18:39 ]</font>

onami
Nov 25, 2006, 09:42 PM
I wish there was a background res hack like FFXI had.. would make textures look so much better.