PDA

View Full Version : [b][PSO-PC ][/b] Graphics

Loztprophet
Nov 24, 2006, 04:02 PM
Just got my pre-order through today for the PC version and I'll say that the graphics REALLY disappoint me.
Does Sega think we're still living in the dark ages?
Even PSO on the cube looked WAY better! Better water, better shadows (even if they were low res, it's better than blobs for shadows).

I hate the non-support for resolutions higher than 1280x1024 and also there's no option for AA/AF. Even forcing AA though the driver seems to make no difference at all. Man, I think even my OLD setup could run this game without a hitch on max settings. I wonder if it looks any better on the 360?

Also, the voice acting in the single player is total crap. There's nothing I can't stand more in games than weak ass squeaky voices like Lumia's, and 'dude' voices like Ethan's. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bash.gif

The story so far is so unbelievably stupid I can't stand it. I'm only 30 minutes in but I may abandon the single player altogether. The subtitles are always 5 seconds late aswell.

Yay, an unexplained ceremony!

Oh no, I got mugged by a retard!

I'll act like a dick even though that guard saved my ass from getting stabbed up!

The build up/attack during the ceremony sucks aswell.
What kills me though is that the guard is telling everyone to evacuate and Ethan says he going the other way then Lumia gets pwned by rubble. You'd think an official telling you to follow his orders in order to save your ass is telling the truth, ya know?

To those who have completed the single player, is it like that all the way through?

Loztprophet
Nov 24, 2006, 04:04 PM
Apologies for the sucky thread name, those tags don't work there then :3

Brian777
Nov 24, 2006, 04:14 PM
i dont know what you're on lol but the gfx bad? PSO was better? lol
im not sure what settings you're running on, but on my video card it looks amazing. lots of details, dust floating around, etc.

as for the single player i never bothered, online is where its at http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Loztprophet
Nov 24, 2006, 04:21 PM
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/1207/psu20061125043214001un6.jpg

Max settings, max resolution, 8xAA/16xAF in driver settings.

And that screen looks good to you?

Wallin
Nov 24, 2006, 04:22 PM
You need to calm down and take a breath, LOL.

I don't know what's wrong with your graphics, but PSU is definitely better. And yes, Ethan is irritating at the beginning, but he's also defiant toward Guardians, so he could care less which way Leo tells him to go because he has a big ego like most protagonists these days.

KiteWolfwood
Nov 24, 2006, 04:25 PM
Skimming out the whiners yes we are, skimming out complainers before they get to far.

Second verse same as the first.

Ryogen
Nov 24, 2006, 04:27 PM
Go back to PSO then. Phantasy Star is never for you if your going to look at the graphics and judge it by graphics.

AkiraXxx
Nov 24, 2006, 04:28 PM
On 2006-11-24 13:21, Loztprophet wrote:

Lol change your settings. That looks like shit.

happy_cricket
Nov 24, 2006, 04:28 PM
Boy it's a good thing you aren't playing on the PS2. The graphics on it are like HORRIBLE. I even find it hard to play in Neudaiz at times - distinguishing the enemies from the background is difficult.

*erects flame shield*

Loztprophet
Nov 24, 2006, 04:30 PM
I'm not complaining... Well, I guess I am.

But this is PSU! From the interface and graphical point of view it seems like a step back from PSO, anyway.

Wallin
Nov 24, 2006, 04:33 PM
I have to agree with Akira. If you didn't lower the quality of the JPEG, then your screenshot does lean toward the bad side.

Loztprophet
Nov 24, 2006, 04:33 PM

Last time I checked, there was no setting higher than maximum http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

GeForce 7950 GX2, by the way.

Got any screens you've taken yourself?

AeraLure
Nov 24, 2006, 04:34 PM
PSU graphics can be a little boring imho, not just compared to PSO, but to a lot of things. They're just bland. Cant find anything wrong per se, but they sure arent exciting. Characters have some nice details, but environments are pretty uninspiring. Even on Parum in Mad Creatures etc or Neudaiz where you have all the leaves, one can say there is some great detail in the leaves and blades of grass and I would have to agree, but overall, Forest from PSO was more interesting to me, more colorful, better shadows and lighting, reflections, some variation. Pretty dull wall and floors have to admit in most rooms, despite technically yes, decent graphics if you are counting pixels or something. I dont know how to phrase it, but I know where the OP is coming from on that point and would have to agree. Look past that into some of the gameplay differences and enjoy that part of it.

I cant speak as to offline since I havent any interest to play it. I maybe should though since they brought not a bit of any story into the online play at all and I am missing some context. I understand from others that depsite its being a little short, and a little too easy, the offline story mode is pretty good.

AkiraXxx
Nov 24, 2006, 04:37 PM
On 2006-11-24 13:33, Loztprophet wrote:

Last time I checked, there was no setting higher than maximum http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

GeForce 7950 GX2, by the way.

Got any screens you've taken yourself?

Dont have my comp with me, your using Nvidia so run either the Doom Profile, or Call of Duty one. On mine my graphics didnt pixelate that bad and there was no black outline around everything like yours.

Loztprophet
Nov 24, 2006, 04:41 PM
Maybe I've just been used to playing Oblivion and Gears of War too much, so my expectation were set a little too high http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I stand by my statement that PSO looks better, though.

Wallin
Nov 24, 2006, 04:45 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/Forumchibi/screenshot.jpg

Screenshot taken in Windowed Mode 800x600.

VanHalen
Nov 24, 2006, 06:19 PM
On 2006-11-24 13:21, Loztprophet wrote:

yeah pretty much i dont play games for graphics that much anyway but it looks more detailed than PSO

Jasam
Nov 24, 2006, 06:27 PM
what settings those?

ABDUR101
Nov 24, 2006, 06:32 PM
This game is full of cliche characters and annoying voices. Wait until you have a waist high anime-lover's wetdream following you around assisting with combat(Partner machinery, all of them look like little lolita bots when fully evolved.) Singleplayer is really annoying to me, too many cut-in chat cutscenes for my taste, not to mention how it all just seems to drag out. I got to chapter four and stopped, maybe when the servers are down for extended time and I absolutely have nothing else to do, I'll play through abit more.

As for your graphics, I'm on the 360 and I don't mind them so much. If anything I wish the health bars and map were larger(I'm in HD on a HD TV, so thats prolly why they seem so small). Everything seems alright though.

ChocoboChad
Nov 24, 2006, 06:37 PM
Dunno about PC graphics, but story does get better...

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 24, 2006, 07:10 PM
On 2006-11-24 13:02, Loztprophet wrote:
Just got my pre-order through today for the PC version and I'll say that the graphics REALLY disappoint me.
Even PSO on the cube looked WAY better! Better water, better shadows (even if they were low res, it's better than blobs for shadows).

While I aggree with you on the shadow issue, I feel that the graphics (even on the lowest setting) of the PC version of PSU are far more detailed and rich than the graphics of GC PSO Episode 1+2.

While many folks simply have very fond memories of PSO versions, I often experience them side by side, where I'm playing PSU on my PC and my GF is playing Ep1+2 on the Gamecube. Because she's only recently started and has trouble learning the ropes offline, I will occasionally go over and give her a hand to help her out - at which point the many improvements of PSU really stand out including the graphics.

While I certainly agree with folks that say PSU uses Gamecube quality graphics (in the sense that the GC could infact handle the game, at least as good as the PS2 version) - to say Episode 1+2 looked better sounds to me like an effort to cling to past glories.

With all of SEGA's hype over this being the 'Next Generation' of Phantasy Star, it's still rooted in consoles from the same generation as the Dreamcast - but that doesn't stop this game from succeeding in bringing enough improvements and innovations (graphical and otherwise) to justify this game as a truly worthy successor to the name Phantasy Star!

AkiraXxx
Nov 24, 2006, 07:19 PM
On 2006-11-24 16:10, Uncle_Pobatti wrote:

On 2006-11-24 13:02, Loztprophet wrote:

While I aggree with you on the shadow issue, I feel that the graphics (even on the lowest setting) of the PC version of PSU are far more detailed and rich than the graphics of GC PSO Episode 1+2.

While many folks simply have very fond memories of PSO versions, I often experience them side by side, where I'm playing PSU on my PC and my GF is playing Ep1+2 on the Gamecube. Because she's only recently started and has trouble learning the ropes offline, I will occasionally go over and give her a hand to help her out - at which point the many improvements of PSU really stand out including the graphics.

While I certainly agree with folks that say PSU uses Gamecube quality graphics (in the sense that the GC could infact handle the game, at least as good as the PS2 version) - to say Episode 1+2 looked better sounds to me like an effort to cling to past glories.

With all of SEGA's hype over this being the 'Next Generation' of Phantasy Star, it's still rooted in consoles from the same generation as the Dreamcast - but that doesn't stop this game from succeeding in bringing enough improvements and innovations (graphical and otherwise) to justify this game as a truly worthy successor to the name Phantasy Star!

Gamecube has smooth clean somewhat low texture models. PS2 has always had the gritty high textured models. They basicly ported it from ps2 to pc to xbox360. They cant make it from PC/360 to the PS2 cause ofcourse ps2 cant run graphically advanced games like the 360 and pc can.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AkiraXxx on 2006-11-24 16:28 ]</font>

Genobee
Nov 24, 2006, 07:30 PM
It's a PS2 port, of course the graphics are last gen.

mogshaz
Nov 24, 2006, 07:33 PM
The sad part is there are probably more PC users than ps2 users by far. they could have just made the game for PC or *gasp* PS3 and made the game look better and maybe lose a couple users.

AkiraXxx
Nov 24, 2006, 07:33 PM
On 2006-11-24 16:30, Genobee wrote:
It's a PS2 port, of course the graphics are last gen.

They should have put this game on the ps3, and uped the look to next gen. Can you imagine this game with details and textures as good as something from Gears Of War or Hi-Res HL2? Lol it wouldnt matter about the lack of content, this game would just be fun to play because of the look lol.

Genobee
Nov 24, 2006, 07:37 PM
seriously, it's the PS2 thats holding us back, if they droped it tomarrow I would be happy. The ps2 is old news and we need to let it die.

Wallin
Nov 24, 2006, 08:02 PM
Yeah, but too bad no one gives a @#$% about the overpriced PS3 that lets you watch digitally remastered old movies... woooo...

PJesus
Nov 24, 2006, 08:06 PM
I totally agreed before I got to chapter 3, then the game is marginally acceptable, and then after chapter 6ish, it becomes slightly fun until it becomes great at the last few chapters.

Legenden
Nov 24, 2006, 08:10 PM
Well what did you expect? It is a PS2 port, and both screenshots and videos have been out since 2004.
Also PSU graphics are better than PSO`s but of course not by far since DreamCast and PlayStation2 had quite similar qualities, the DC even outperformed PS2 in a few areas.

Sorry If Im beeing rude but you should`nt expect too mutch of a game ported from a aging console with hardware from year 1999/2000.

What you really should look at is the game play witch is somewhat based on what type of games you like/dislike.

cApNhOwDy
Nov 25, 2006, 02:42 AM
Well first of all you have to realize that the reason why the GC version's water was so good was because that's ATI's water effects, not Sega's. The same water effect is in Pikmin. The GC's water effects didnt make it to PSO: Blue Burst or the Xbox port of PSO either. I would have liked to see it there also, but I guess it's something that only Gamecube or Nintendo is allowed to put in it's products. Secondly, this is a multiplatform game. I personally think that PSU for the PS2 was a bad idea because of the hardware limitations, but I cant control that. Thirdly, graphics dont make the game. PSU is in alot of ways like PSO:BB with it's graphical settings. You can only change so much. Admittedly, they should have thrown in a built in AA and AF filter. Maybe they can possibly patch that later on? But I dont think they will because they never did with Blue Burst either. Until then, you can always force AA and AF like you're doing. But yeah the jaggies do hurt my eyes.

Kuai
Nov 25, 2006, 04:25 AM
Are you all forgeting the PSO char models were basically rounder lego-men?

AquaFlare7
Nov 25, 2006, 05:37 AM
AA and AF will not work because the game renders the 3d playing field under the top-most menu layer. Next time you get the chance take your AA and AF to the max and compare the in game menu text and health text to when nothing is on. Your 16x AA is actually anti aliasing the bejesus out of those poor little menus!

Sakura123
Nov 25, 2006, 11:52 AM
The graphic may not be next-gen, but like most japanese games, the art direction and character models are just superb.

http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/6595/templeeq2.png

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/913/robotoyv9.png

I preffer this charismatic, colorful and great art than most current western "next-gen" games.

Parn
Nov 25, 2006, 12:09 PM
Actually, Anisotropic Filtering DOES work.

Without 16x AF (http://synbios.net/games/PSU/1.png)
With 16x AF (http://synbios.net/games/PSU/2.png)

Compare the ground in front of the bridge in both screenshots... without 16x AF, it looks like a pixelated mess. With 16x AF, everything blends in nicely. It may not seem like much of a difference, but when you see it in motion, you'll really notice how much nicer 16x looks. Most of the shimmering will be gone because the texture pixels aren't fighting each other over who gets to be displayed.