PDA

View Full Version : Story Mode Vs. Network Mode

Redeyes
Nov 25, 2006, 06:12 AM
I’ve only just got PSU yesterday and after playing the first mission/episode of the story mode I decided to try the network mode – I loved the network mode on DC – but after playing it for a while it just seems very confusing and tbh I seem to have no idea of what I should be doing. So my question is, is it worth playing through a good proportion of story mode before tackling network mode or is the learning curve just so much bigger then that of PSO and I should try and stick it out on network mode until I pick things up?

/Red

Cjeheth
Nov 25, 2006, 06:19 AM
Well the game just arrived for me this morning (was expecting it monday, as I ordered from Amazon with free shipping and didn't dispatch until 5pm yesterday), but my aim is to play through story mode first before heading online. When the expansion pack hits (basically just a set of online missions, not something requiring seperate purchase), it should be following on, or based off the story mode's.... story. As I see it, playing through story (and extra mode) warrent the price of the original game, then I'll start paying the monthly fee for the online thing.

But, if you've already put a month on the network mode, don't waste your money and continue playing this month. Then you can goto story mode and back to network, or just stick with network doing story mode when you've some down time. I do recommend the story mode though, cheesy as it is, but it'll mean some of the stuff later down the line will make more sense to you. Oh, and for network, make sure to play the tutorial, even if you know how to play the game. You'll get your first PA and a few other things out of it.

SabZero
Nov 25, 2006, 06:38 AM
I think you should play enough story mode atleast to get to know the controls really well (online adds a few functions ontop). And also, maybe customize for your pad (if any).

See my thread in the guides forum to get some maps, that way you don't get lost.

Arieta
Nov 25, 2006, 06:44 AM
Story mode is like one huge training grounds. It tells you everything, and how to do everything. You'll be a lot better off doing some story mode first then going to network.

Redeyes
Nov 25, 2006, 06:44 AM
I use a zboard and fine it very easy to use, the right arrow keys do my attacking/selecting and the left tile does everything from moving to selecting weapons/items/fp view etc, so i dont have any trouble with the controls (thank god coz ive only ever played PSO on Dc and GC lol) - what i was meaning is the way missions work and stuff, cant i just go down to the planets and explore because i dont always enjoy doing missions, what are all these extra items i'm getting that sell for little value but i cant seem to find any use for etc..... maybe im in over my head

/Red

Lashiens
Nov 25, 2006, 07:03 AM
I advise playing up to about Chapter 3, maybe 4 (plus you'll unlock extra mode after chapter 4), that way you get used to the basics first. Just like Arieta said, it's just one big frickin' tutorial, basically.

Grr
Nov 25, 2006, 09:46 AM
Story Mode = Swing weapon and get new PA level , Charater level , and a more rare, better weapon, drops of the thing you killed. It is online mode for dummies , and if you dont know what your doing , it is good place to start http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Sydz
Nov 25, 2006, 10:05 AM
We also get online story missions later on, that take place after the story mode ends. So its probably a good idea to go through it.

ThunderChao
Nov 25, 2006, 10:29 AM
You should play up to Chapter 4 in Story mode unless you already paid for Network. If you did, just play Network until the license expires.

Kanore
Nov 25, 2006, 10:48 AM
I did the first chapter of story mode for like 10 minutes and then went straight to network mode, hit 50, and now I'm at Chapter 4 at story. I'm doing it slowly so I'll know what's going on when Story missions hit online mode.

Natrokos
Nov 25, 2006, 11:53 AM
I switched between the two. Story is insanely easy and you should be able to cruise through it without any issues. (I didn't die until the 2nd Vol Brothers fight and I had scape dolls.)

Zorafim
Nov 25, 2006, 05:04 PM
I don't think I ever got a game over in story mode. Any death that I got was covered by scape dolls, which I found without trying to. Really, story mode is a joke in terms of gameplay. Assuming you have the B rank regen lv2 unit, you will hardly even need mates. I can't wait until I can go online and see how much of a challenge the game really is.

Turambar
Nov 25, 2006, 05:19 PM
Yeah, you can do Story Mode, and realize things in the HIVE mission seem to die faster from your attacks than a bull-da-bear in a Moatoob A run.

However, more than just being a tutorial, Story Mode gives you access to most of the weaponry, PAs, and Techs in the game, thus allowing you to try everything out and refine your taste without having to spend meseta in network mode on superfluous equipments.

Zorafim
Nov 26, 2006, 10:03 PM
I agree that that's true. Because of extra mode, I learned that I loved spears more than I do pie (and I'm a man who enjoys his pie), and that daggers were pretty neat. I also learned that the spinny dagger skill is better than the cool looking one. I've learned this is true in many cases. I've also learned that claws and swords suck.

But most of all, I learned that rushing head first into a blood thirsty group of genetically mutated creatures is a smart and often preferred form of fighting.