PDA

View Full Version : The NA PC server population worries me.

Velkyn
Nov 25, 2006, 02:18 PM
I don't know...There's something disheartening about getting online and seeing Universe 1 barely full. What happened to everyone...I remember like...3 weeks into the game, there was overflow into Uni 4, and one full star in most Universes...

This isn't really a complaint topic, more like a question...thing. Would it be better to maybe start playing JP PSU?

Flamingo99
Nov 25, 2006, 02:24 PM
People are most likely waiting for more content to be released.

Gamemako
Nov 25, 2006, 02:25 PM
Yesterday was Thanksgiving. People usually don't play on holidays unless they're pathetic EQ addicts. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

But yeah, it's rare to see both Uni 1 and Uni 2 full these days. Many people reached the max level in a month and just quit because SEGA has been so slow to release content.

SoiFong
Nov 25, 2006, 02:31 PM
---The Bitter and Angsty answer---

Simple ... people kept bashing it .. no one is playing. Its gotten horrible reviews from magazines who want it to be a repeat of PSO instead of something fairly new. Then people get on the forums, back-bite, flame and browbeat people into thinking twice about the community. Lots of negativity and not enough nurturing.

In short the jerks are winning. And they would like nothing more for sega to turn off the servers and let the game die and leave us just imagaining if they are ever going to do another Phantasy Star ever again...

------- Now for the Non-bitter and hopeful answer ----

Maybe you just got on at an odd hour .. i usualy see Universe1 full and at least one star in Universe 15 ... The Community for Phantasy Star Universe will probably be weak for a while until there is a over-saturation of things to do .. right now you are seeing the die-hard fans. As for a superpopulated casual community.. It may never happen, but, give it some time.

Xbob
Nov 25, 2006, 02:32 PM
As long as I can still find a full party of people and a lobby of morons, it'll still be all I wish for. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 25, 2006, 02:51 PM
For reasons I won't go into here I was unable to join network mode on Friday, however I will definately be joining this Friday (1st Dec). I'm the sort of player that once I get on I'll be playing pretty much all the time - whether or not SEGA are quick to release more content or not.

People may be legitimately bored with the limited content they've had access to, and in situations like that it does make sense for some to put their Guardians Licences to one side temporarily (especially if they can only-just afford the game) and come back in a few months.

Those that don't let the lack of updates bother them, such as me and all the other dedicated gamers that you'll find online during such times, can find plenty of things to enjoy until the updates are up.

Why reach level 50 and stop there? Raise one character of each race for the full PSU experience (there are enough slots), build up job levels as high as you can, hunt for rares (even duplicates to be sold in shops)...

If you truly run out of other stuff to do, just farm meseta while you do fun-runs - then you'll be in a much better position when SEGA release the higher class weapons to be able to afford them http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Just don't go predicting the early death of the game after the game's only been out for a few weeks in the US and one day in Europe - the parameters change all the time and anything could happen at any time http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Ryoki
Nov 25, 2006, 03:02 PM
On 2006-11-25 11:31, SoiFong wrote:
---The Bitter and Angsty answer---

Simple ... people kept bashing it .. no one is playing. Its gotten horrible reviews from magazines who want it to be a repeat of PSO instead of something fairly new. Then people get on the forums, back-bite, flame and browbeat people into thinking twice about the community. Lots of negativity and not enough nurturing.

In short the jerks are winning. And they would like nothing more for sega to turn off the servers and let the game die and leave us just imagaining if they are ever going to do another Phantasy Star ever again...

------- Now for the Non-bitter and hopeful answer ----

Maybe you just got on at an odd hour .. i usualy see Universe1 full and at least one star in Universe 15 ... The Community for Phantasy Star Universe will probably be weak for a while until there is a over-saturation of things to do .. right now you are seeing the die-hard fans. As for a superpopulated casual community.. It may never happen, but, give it some time.

Yeah, I remember when the GM's said they were on, uni 1 was full. I just wish had a choice between Ungodly amounts of people (Uni 1), very limited numbers (uni 15) and no one (uni 2-14, 16 and up.)

________
GROWING MARIJUANA (http://growingmedicalmarijuana.org)

AkiraXxx
Nov 25, 2006, 03:11 PM
On 2006-11-25 11:18, Velkyn wrote:
I don't know...There's something disheartening about getting online and seeing Universe 1 barely full. What happened to everyone...I remember like...3 weeks into the game, there was overflow into Uni 4, and one full star in most Universes...

This isn't really a complaint topic, more like a question...thing. Would it be better to maybe start playing JP PSU?

Its a simple answer, there isnt enough content to keep people paying 10$ a month. If you think the servers are dead now, after the 15th it will be horrible. Unless this upcomming patch can really turn things around. To many people quit just after the first week. I just found out a few of my friends were on this and quit on the 3rd day, hopefully this next patch can give people a reason to get back on and keep playing.

Para
Nov 25, 2006, 03:13 PM
I think the news of updates aren't reaching people. Also consider that PS3 and Wii just got launched.

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 25, 2006, 03:17 PM
On 2006-11-25 12:13, Para wrote:
I think the news of updates aren't reaching people. Also consider that PS3 and Wii just got launched.

I'm not sure, but with the PS3 launch, PSU could very well benefit from a new platform of players joining the game.

While the majority of PS3 buyers will probably spend the first few months playing dedicated PS3 titles, I'm sure that eventually many folks will get online with the PS2 version in time - if there's still plenty of demand SEGA might still release a special PS3 version in time if the PS2 version doesn't work well or at all on PS3.

tetsuo_3035
Nov 25, 2006, 03:18 PM
its sad to see so many people leave the servers....but it does make sure you meet the people who are still having fun just like you are...its a good way to make good fiends you can play with day in and day out. also hunting for rares and meseta puts all of us dedicated players in the lead when the patch comes out. personally...only quam is that i cant find an a run on moatoob for the life of me haha

Ryogen
Nov 25, 2006, 03:27 PM
It's a holiday and I'm pretty sure people have essays to do in schools and stuff.

whiteninja
Nov 25, 2006, 03:44 PM
There will probably be more people on in December, when alot of kids have Christmas vacation from school.
Also, by that time, there will be more things released.

Everybody stutters one way or the other
So check out my message to you.
As a matter of fact don't let nothin' hold you back.
If the Scatman can do it brother so can you.

I'm the Scatman...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: whiteninja on 2006-11-25 12:45 ]</font>

Genobee
Nov 25, 2006, 03:51 PM
yea it's PSO all over again, I have liek 200 friends and only 2 are ever on, I'm guessing everyone is waiting for content next week and maybe everyone is away thing weekend because of thanks giving.

SonicTMP
Nov 25, 2006, 03:55 PM
The trend seems to following japan fairly well. Good amount of people at the start. Dwindles, opening of motanoob brings backa few people but only for a few days. Opening more content will help. But sadly this unlocking is dumb. PS3+Wii is a deadly combo for other and better things to play. And with WoW expansion just round the cornor, psu is gonna sufer.

Wheatpenny
Nov 25, 2006, 03:56 PM
Once the advance classes get unlocked and more weapons and S ranks missions get open..The game will be back up to snuff again.

peenk
Nov 25, 2006, 04:03 PM
Who cares!!!
There are so many better games out there that some simply wont bother with PSU.
Medieval II, Civ IV, Neverwinter Nights II, Compay of Heroes yay! F.E.A.R Combat! Wolf ET = still teh bezd MP game evar made! I can go on and on and on weeeeee I do not have to play, let alone pay any fee, for PSUflops weeeee! cough200cough

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: peenk on 2006-11-25 13:05 ]</font>

KiteWolfwood
Nov 25, 2006, 04:08 PM
With the Ps3 and Wii release lots of people probably stopped playing to go play with those.

Kanore
Nov 25, 2006, 04:48 PM
A shitload of things happened since release:
FFXII came out.
NWN2 came out.
Gears of War came out.
PS3 came out.
Wii came out.

Lots of competition. Just unlucky. They'll come back soon. Just wait.

Lavernius
Nov 25, 2006, 04:49 PM
On 2006-11-25 13:03, peenk wrote:
Who cares!!!
There are so many better games out there that some simply wont bother with PSU.
Medieval II, Civ IV, Neverwinter Nights II, Compay of Heroes yay! F.E.A.R Combat! Wolf ET = still teh bezd MP game evar made! I can go on and on and on weeeeee I do not have to play, let alone pay any fee, for PSUflops weeeee! cough200cough

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: peenk on 2006-11-25 13:05 ]</font>

dude, why do you go to this website if you don't like the game? Leave, it's that simple.

Lavernius
Nov 25, 2006, 04:50 PM
On 2006-11-25 11:24, Flamingo99 wrote:
People are most likely waiting for more content to be released.

trust, me: this is true

Tahldon
Nov 25, 2006, 05:31 PM
It's actually kind of entertaining.. how people all want more content, but they haven't even maximized the content they have yet.

Lots of people don't even have fully leveled PMs. Lots haven't touched a rare item of sorts. My main qualm is that lots of people want more arts (I direct this to forces most of all) and they don't even have the ones that are out capped. A level 50 dedicated Force walking around with a level 12 Resta should be a criminal act.

But yeah.. people are just complaining and impatient. Doesn't matter for me though.. I'll still play. I like the game that's all that matters most to me.

Kanore
Nov 25, 2006, 06:26 PM
On 2006-11-25 14:31, Tahldon wrote:
Lots of people don't even have fully leveled PMs. Lots haven't touched a rare item of sorts. My main qualm is that lots of people want more arts (I direct this to forces most of all) and they don't even have the ones that are out capped. A level 50 dedicated Force walking around with a level 12 Resta should be a criminal act.

The 'smarter' Forces are pissed that we don't have SDJZ, the two new buffs, or any offensive Light or Dark spell. ESPECIALLY the latter. Colony and Relics BLOW because we don't have Grants or Megid.

drmcst45
Nov 25, 2006, 06:38 PM
If it's the holidays then shouldn't there be more people on?

i dunno about you but when i was a kid, I'd game my heaviest during the holidays because of all the time off.

AnamanaAU
Nov 25, 2006, 06:43 PM
They need to half the ammount of universes until the population rises. But, I can see a lot more people playing once Expert Classes are in.

Eternal_Drake
Nov 25, 2006, 06:45 PM
Maybe its dwindling because people are just stalling until expert classes, or because people grinded all the way then got bored and quit, OR alot of people just got annoyed by waiting and migrated to JP servers, OR they are spending their time playing other games.

Kuai
Nov 25, 2006, 06:46 PM
i heard sega is deleting the US PSU since noone is playing lets all go play the JP version oh god i love japan kawaii desu ne ^__________________________________________^

Authenticate
Nov 25, 2006, 07:14 PM
PSU doesn't need a huge amount of people running around to make it fun. All you need is 5 other people and you're set. Even then, you can solo or duo pretty much every mission. I usually only get to play 2-3 hours a day and I'm taking my time so the game is still fun to me. I just wish they'd give us buffs and debuffs faster so I'd feel like playing my force more often. >.>

Eternal_Drake
Nov 25, 2006, 07:17 PM
On 2006-11-25 16:14, Authenticate wrote:
PSU doesn't need a huge amount of people running around to make it fun. All you need is 5 other people and you're set. Even then, you can solo or duo pretty much every mission. I usually only get to play 2-3 hours a day and I'm taking my time so the game is still fun to me. I just wish they'd give us buffs and debuffs faster so I'd feel like playing my force more often. >.>

If there are only 5 other people it is sorta hard to get an economy set up, but that's just my opinion.

Pandatron
Nov 25, 2006, 07:18 PM
Well aside from the mentioning of the release of the 4th gen consoles and whining about lack of content that pretty much sums it up. Not to mention a prior to this other mmos have soaked up the market and PSU isn't nearly as popular as it is in JP, i mean heck they have 2 worlds.

Personally i think people will roam back once more content comes out, i'm kind of glad for the lack of people right now it's a fairly medium size community where you can hop on and form a party in no time (at least me anywayz). Also on a side note those that are 'quiting' now due to lack of content will be out of luck with all the new weapons and armor that most people wont' be able to afford. Then again when people realize they can't afford certain things they may quit but meh who cares tis about having fun and be elimiating those not having fun only leave those that are enjoying themselves.

sakeru
Nov 25, 2006, 07:24 PM
In psu 360 the third lobby is almost full so im glad i bought that version of the game.

-dis-
Nov 25, 2006, 07:34 PM
I actually think the economy turned a lot of people off. PSO was about, it strikes me, two things: levelling and hunting rares. The desire to make a game with an economy put a new focus on grinding out meseta in order to buy things from other players. The group of people I played PSO with was bored by this and quit. Expert classes, more missions, etc were not going to change the fact that a good deal of the game is about making money. It was more like work - not like fun.

My friends would rather run a mission OVER AND OVER AND OVER in the hopes that a red box would drop the whatever it is they were hunting than run a mission over and over and over in the hopes that they make some money so they can buy a mediocre weapon. The economy was a bad call. PSU isn't big enough in scope or players to make it work.

I enjoy the game enough that I am going to play it for a bit more, but it stinks that many of my old pso friends quit already.

I'm not going to cry about it. It's just a game. But that's my take.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -dis- on 2006-11-25 16:37 ]</font>

sakeru
Nov 25, 2006, 07:35 PM
And that foolishness someone is spreading about Na psu being cancel is a load of crap, that just to draw more people to ya jp psu. It aint working girl . BAka Baka anata wa bakkkkkkkkkkkka desu.

sakeru
Nov 25, 2006, 07:37 PM
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sakeru on 2006-11-25 16:46 ]</font>

sakeru
Nov 25, 2006, 07:39 PM
And that foolishness someone is spreading about Na psu being cancel is a load of crap, that just to draw more people to ya jp psu. It aint working girl . BAka Baka anata wa bakkkkkkkkkkkka desu.

Randomness
Nov 25, 2006, 07:40 PM
On 2006-11-25 16:39, sakeru wrote:

You realize that technically, YOU are playing JP PSU?

sakeru
Nov 25, 2006, 07:43 PM
how do i get rid of all those posts

happy_cricket
Nov 25, 2006, 07:47 PM
On 2006-11-25 15:38, drmcst45 wrote:
If it's the holidays then shouldn't there be more people on?

i dunno about you but when i was a kid, I'd game my heaviest during the holidays because of all the time off.

When I was a kid, on a holiday, my mom would backhand my ass for playing video games when my Auntie and Uncle had driven so far just to see me.

-Shimarisu-
Nov 25, 2006, 07:48 PM
On 2006-11-25 15:26, Kanore wrote:

The 'smarter' Forces are pissed that we don't have SDJZ, the two new buffs, or any offensive Light or Dark spell. ESPECIALLY the latter. Colony and Relics BLOW because we don't have Grants or Megid.

Guess I'm not a "smart" force then, cause I don't give a crap.

What area in the game NEEDS buffs right now? Maybe when we hit S-rank, but atm the game is piss easy for the most part without it, and a fair challenge on stages like Desert A rank.

Why do you need an offensive Light or Dark spell when you have Diga? Oh, you're doing less damage than a Hu? Not getting last hits in? Sorry, but that's what being a force is about. If we did the same damage as Hus it'd be a little bit unfair to the Hus cause they DON'T GET RESTA. And trust me, without it they spend a LOT more than FOs on consumables.

We're not about damage, but support. And the current stages don't need S/D unless the HUs suck. If you are partying with sucky HUs, then leave.

Xbob
Nov 25, 2006, 07:51 PM
On 2006-11-25 16:48, -Shimarisu- wrote:

On 2006-11-25 15:26, Kanore wrote:

Guess I'm not a smart force then.

Fixed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Xbob on 2006-11-25 16:52 ]</font>

-Shimarisu-
Nov 25, 2006, 07:52 PM
Hi Xbob, you play one run of Desert A with me, and say that again.

I mean it.

Eternal_Drake
Nov 25, 2006, 07:53 PM
On 2006-11-25 16:52, -Shimarisu- wrote:

I mean it.

If you are such a good force why don't you solo Desert A?

Nisshoku
Nov 25, 2006, 07:56 PM
Eternal_Drake, now you're just being a jerk.

I see nothing wrong so far. As it stands, PSU's still gaining it's footing over here. And if all one can do is piss and moan about everything from story mode isn't there, well... that's too damn bad.

Be glad you have the damn game.

-Shimarisu-
Nov 25, 2006, 07:56 PM
Because I have better things to do with my time, like play it faster and for more eventual drops per time taken, with OTHER people.

Hahah "I solo Desert A," you braggarts really crack me up.

Go start up a game now, it'll kill all the time till Sega release buffs, and then you'll have nothing to complain about!

Xbob
Nov 25, 2006, 07:59 PM
On 2006-11-25 16:52, -Shimarisu- wrote:

I mean it.

I don't see how it would be different than running the Desert A with anyone else. Heal heal, reverser, nukes here and there. Nothing complicated about it. Just a lot more reverser and healing than regular stages. If you don't want extra spells just for the fact that you're "leet enuff" then it sounds to me as though you, son, are the braggart.

-Shimarisu-
Nov 25, 2006, 08:01 PM
Yeah except lots of forces are absolutely fucking USELESS in Desert A.

Actually though, there are far less crap forces there, cause the non-smart forces are scared of it.

Kanore
Nov 25, 2006, 08:03 PM
Desert A takes forever. I'd rather do Lab Recovery or even Temple to take up my time.

Xbob
Nov 25, 2006, 08:04 PM
I spend a good majority of my time healing and using Reverser in Desert A. Very little time to deal damage.

Eternal_Drake
Nov 25, 2006, 08:09 PM
On 2006-11-25 16:56, -Shimarisu- wrote:

Hahah "I solo Desert A," you braggarts really crack me up.

I don't remember ever saying I could solo desert A, but ok.

-Shimarisu-
Nov 25, 2006, 08:15 PM
I don't think ANYONE can solo Desert A in any reasonable amount of time.

I'm sure I COULD, with my PM, but the boss would take literally hours.

AeraLure
Nov 25, 2006, 08:20 PM
I agree that population as of late is in part due to it being a holiday weekend and many are travelling. I dont think reviews or sharing of opinions steer anyone away from the game one bit. If you are a PSO fan, you are going to get it and try it, and if you like parts of it, depite any criticisms you might also have, you're simply going to stay. If not, you'll leave without renewing the second month and we are seeing some of that sure. Some of those will be back after expert class update and some not. One of my best friends left citing the many things we have all heard and it makes me sad, but I am here to stay.

I have much that I could do still - level PA's more, level another character or two or three to their caps, make another PM, make meseta in a shop etc - just no place at the moment I feel like running. Part of it maybe is while I remember with a good deal of precision what I found where, there are many things I obviously havent found and would like to find, but dont know where to look. Itd be fun to go running a specific area to look for specific things while leveling PAs, PMs, or earning some pocket change. Have we actual drop charts anywhere yet, here or somewhere on the net? I cant find any and, for me at least, that would make a huge difference, adding a little excitement to the grinding part which I know pretty well hehe.

Speaking of which, maybe I will go do some more of that. Number of my techs still need to be maxed. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Kanore
Nov 25, 2006, 08:24 PM
I've only maxed Diga and Resta ;_;

I still need to get Rafoie to 11 too.

... So lazy...

AeraLure
Nov 25, 2006, 08:32 PM
On 2006-11-25 17:24, Kanore wrote:
I've only maxed Diga and Resta ;_;

I still need to get Rafoie to 11 too.

... So lazy...

lol nah, not really. I have only maxed a few too. Right now combining doing that with combat leveling my PM some and netting the odd nanocarbon or two. Or moving to some other place and running that instead for the hopes of some other drop.

Seems like I should be getting my ranger or hunter's levels higher or working on raising some other job classes. Sooner or later will get around to doing that, but that is where I am currently lazy. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

hucast21
Nov 25, 2006, 08:35 PM
On 2006-11-25 17:15, -Shimarisu- wrote:
I don't think ANYONE can solo Desert A in any reasonable amount of time.

I'm sure I COULD, with my PM, but the boss would take literally hours.

I solo'd Dimma A... It took me an 1:32 to complete it as a lvl 50 hunter with no range weapons.

My PM and trainer was with me during the mission.

I've only did it once and will never do it again lol.

Triple_S
Nov 25, 2006, 09:41 PM
I wish I could get online. Hell, if there's only one other person online, I'll still play. It's better to have a human ally than an NPC one.

Eat my shorts, Hyuga, you kick ass only in Extra mode.

ethermoon2006
Nov 25, 2006, 09:46 PM
On 2006-11-25 11:18, Velkyn wrote:

Yeah I noticed. Ive had every pso ver since day 1. This is just old. Theres just so many better pc/ps2 games out there. Well ps2 doesnt have anything remotely similar to pso, but the pc does, and way better.

This type of game takes time, and for the time you put into it, it simply doesnt deliver.

Also ppl arent helpful, teams split up after the first missions, theres simply nothing to form a bond over. Universe 1 is full of stupid noobs that spam all sorts of idiocies. So sad to see Sega's gem screw up. Pso was ahead of its time,,,,psu is behind the times.Sega screwed up, yet again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ethermoon2006 on 2006-11-25 18:47 ]</font>

Triple_S
Nov 25, 2006, 09:57 PM
While I'll admit, I've heard about the Uni1diots, that's not SEGA's fault. You can't ban someone for sucking ass at a game, that'd be just wrong. I personally can't get enough of PSO/PSU gameplay, and PSU is meant mainly for newcomers to the PSO/PSU style, and diehard fans of it.

Also, this game doesn't deliver for the time you put into it YET. I personally can't wait to get online, especially with the update coming up. One thing I loved about PSO (especially PSOX) is that becoming friends with someone is easy, rewarding, and overall just plain good to do. I'm not sure if the same goes for PSU yet, since we don't have any missions really requiring said bond.

DoctorShasta
Nov 25, 2006, 10:01 PM
i think it is the next gen consoles, I was so excited for PSU but now zelda just seems so much more appealing that I only play about 2 hours a week.

Triple_S
Nov 25, 2006, 10:08 PM
I don't have any of the next-gen consoles, although I want the Wii, and Zelda, obviously. Even so, with the amount of time I put into games, I'll get done with Zelda quickly. However, this won't be the case with PSU, unless it's about 3x as easy to level up online as PSO. God, I could play that for like 4 months and only get to level 77 or something. Then again, I never box or anything.

whiteninja
Nov 26, 2006, 12:46 AM
Ah! I just realized why not many people are on PSU right now!

It's actually very simple: They're waiting until they can hack it easier.
Right now, Sonic Team sort of cares about the game (though I heard they didn't bother to undo the effects of some Meseta hack already), so the game is a bit annoying to hack. So, one can either devote time to hack things, or devote time to hunt them. This time is known as something most people call "effort." Typically, effort is to be avoided at all costs, and this goes even more so for lazy video-gamers. It's all a matter of decreasing the effort needed. If effort increases inversely with time, then as time passes, effort can be more easily avoided, and more people will play.

It's sort of like the idea of supply and demand, only, it isn't at all.

Edit:

(12:48:32 AM) Jake: they`re complaining that there arent enough hackers?
(12:48:46 AM) Pat: No, that there aren't enough players in general.
(12:49:01 AM) Pat: "Why don't as many people play as used to play PSOBB? :< "
(12:49:03 AM) Pat: That's why.
(12:49:10 AM) Pat: Effort!
(12:49:36 AM) Jake: makes sense!

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: whiteninja on 2006-11-25 21:50 ]</font>

Wallin
Nov 26, 2006, 12:56 AM
Lately I've been thinking about the reviews that the game received, like how most of them said PSU fails as an MMORPG...

Is it just me, or isn't it fair to compare PSU equally to Diablo, maybe even to Guild Wars?

Diablo had the same repetitive dungeons and you could only play 3 classes (and they had set graphics so everyone of the same class looked exactly the same), yet it was a successful game way back in the day and is still well-known now. If a Diablo III game came out, people would be all over it. But I think PSU was identical to that original theme and is now much much more.

Maybe if Sega had marketed the game as such, if they had even played Diablo which I doubt they have, the game would be vastly more successful than it is now. The only hinderance would be the monthly fee which neither Diablo nor Guild Wars has.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wallin on 2006-11-25 21:57 ]</font>

Para
Nov 26, 2006, 01:01 AM
Maybe SEGA should just cut down on the number of universes so the population won't be so spread out so much... I happen to know that there are a sparse dozen of players that just play on any server they log into and don't care about going to populated areas.

Kent
Nov 26, 2006, 01:13 AM
On 2006-11-25 21:56, Wallin wrote:
Lately I've been thinking about the reviews that the game received, like how most of them said PSU fails as an MMORPG...

Is it just me, or isn't it fair to compare PSU equally to Diablo, maybe even to Guild Wars?

Indeed, it is the same type of game as PSO, Diablo, and Guild Wars - none of which are MMO by any means. PSU fails at being that which it is not. It takes a real idiot to think PSU is MMO, after knowing how the game works.

peenk
Nov 26, 2006, 01:23 AM
Diablo had the same repetitive dungeons and you could only play 3 classes (and they had set graphics so everyone of the same class looked exactly the same), yet it was a successful game way back in the day and is still well-known now. If a Diablo III game came out, people would be all over it. But I think PSU was identical to that original theme and is now much much more.

Thats the problem! PSU is too much like diablo I. Except Diable I came out .... 6 years ago? more? I used to play that game on 36.6k and it rocked!
PSU comes out .... 6 years later or so and ... less content from begining? I can care less what they will open up when there are tons of better stuff OPENED in any other games.
Besides http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif they ARE making Diablo III ... different name but from the makers of Diablo series http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif)))
Called Hellgate: London and its going to be a bomb! PC Gamer did a preview on it, Computer Games magazine did a preview on it and judging from those alone it will be THE RPG to play, and i am 99% there will be no monthly fee nor will it be a flop! weeeeeeee!

physic
Nov 26, 2006, 01:24 AM
someone said they quit cause you need to hunt cash items... but.... in this game you can hunt rares too, problem is your basically on normal to hard right now,and rares havent come into play much. But yeah in A rank missions there are rare boards, that make rare weapons, rare units, rare armor boards, rare items used for synthesis.
Money matters more than it used to, but at the same time you prolly have the money for building your pm and etc before you get that rare drop. i got two rare weapon boards, i had the money to level a pm to 100 way before that. aside from leveling pm, not much else to do with cash, buy weaps maybe but that only takes a few runs even if you take that route. I prefer the hunt myself, and have hunted most of the thing i have, and made them.

As far as population dwindling, ehh they dont have enough content yet, the game is a lot less entertaining when you are max level, get no exp, and have most the equips you want that you can equip, it should get better with next patch, question is will it get people back, or is it too late

VanHalen
Nov 26, 2006, 01:29 AM
theres many reasons

1. wait til christmas servers will probably filled then
2. people are waiting for content and waiting for the level cap to increase
3. bad reviews http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif
4. people are playing story mode before going online(like people should lol)
5. not many people know about the game

Ffuzzy-Logik
Nov 26, 2006, 01:33 AM
After the beta for PSOBB ended, the population dwindled to a few thousand, which, over the course of the following year, dwindled to a few hundred.

That said, I enjoyed PSOBB a lot, and so I have no problems whatsoever with a very small community.

Kent
Nov 26, 2006, 01:42 AM
On 2006-11-25 22:23, peenk wrote:Thats the problem! PSU is too much like diablo I. Except Diable I came out .... 6 years ago? more? I used to play that game on 36.6k and it rocked!
PSU comes out .... 6 years later or so and ... less content from begining? I can care less what they will open up when there are tons of better stuff OPENED in any other games.

Diablo I was 9 years ago (1997). PSO was released in Japan six years ago, though, as was Diablo II in the US.

Wallin
Nov 26, 2006, 01:47 AM
I guess that's true, though PSU is now a lot closer to Diablo II which is kind of old skool now... it's still an improved version of it though. I'm just surprised none of the reviews cared enough to have this ever cross their minds I suppose.

peenk
Nov 26, 2006, 01:48 AM
On 2006-11-25 22:42, Kent wrote:
Diablo I was 9 years ago (1997). PSO was released in Japan six years ago, though, as was Diablo II in the US.

Even more so.
and...
Holy Crap Dude!
>5.3k posts?

Genobee
Nov 26, 2006, 06:02 AM
why would you hunt for rares that will be useless in a week? Not mention I'm a beast none of the rares that are findable are usable by me, O boy crappy creas...

Para
Nov 26, 2006, 11:38 PM
I know a few people that are waiting for life to lighten up on the workload so they can actually put time into PSU.

wiseman
Nov 27, 2006, 02:57 AM
On 2006-11-25 22:13, Kent wrote:

Indeed, it is the same type of game as PSO, Diablo, and Guild Wars - none of which are MMO by any means. PSU fails at being that which it is not. It takes a real idiot to think PSU is MMO, after knowing how the game works.

Problem with comparing PSU to Diablo & GW is that those two games were released whole. You could buy Diablo II and go through the whole game from start to finish online. Continuing with the Diablo-PSU comparison, PSU right now is like having only Act 1 & 2 of Diablo II available for network play and having to wait months for Acts 3-5 to be released. PSU, and by extention us, are getting the short-end of the stick from ST because of the way the content is locked on the disc. There is simply not enough content in the game right now to justify $10 a month for half of a game.

I also agree that with the previous poster that ST should tighten up the universes. I think 10 would be more ideal than 15, personally.

AkiraXxx
Nov 27, 2006, 03:10 AM
On 2006-11-26 23:57, wiseman wrote:

On 2006-11-25 22:13, Kent wrote:

Problem with comparing PSU to Diablo & GW is that those two games were released whole. You could buy Diablo II and go through the whole game from start to finish online. Continuing with the Diablo-PSU comparison, PSU right now is like having only Act 1 & 2 of Diablo II available for network play and having to wait months for Acts 3-5 to be released. PSU, and by extention us, are getting the short-end of the stick from ST because of the way the content is locked on the disc. There is simply not enough content in the game right now to justify $10 a month for half of a game.

I also agree that with the previous poster that ST should tighten up the universes. I think 10 would be more ideal than 15, personally.

Yeah they need too drop some servers, at this point in time the game will never have 5 universes completely full. If that does it happen it would be the first time ever, first week most servers full was i believe 4? Or was it 3 and the 4rth was open. next update will be nice, at the same time though I think they need to just give everything that the JP players have, and then advertise the game again a bit more since it will have more content and be more appealing, to bad they cant put the client for download on thier site, be nice to get alot more players. As it is now probably 80%ish? of the players playing PSU are PSO vets and fans. I fall within the fan base cause I just played offline for like 600 something hours lol.

Im hoping sega is going to pull one of those "SURPRISE HERES 500MB WORTH OF CONTENT!" and we will have a shit load of NEW items,quest,clothes and all that other good shiet by april next year.

Ruby-chan
Nov 27, 2006, 05:30 AM
On 2006-11-25 22:33, Ffuzzy-Logik wrote:
After the beta for PSOBB ended, the population dwindled to a few thousand, which, over the course of the following year, dwindled to a few hundred.

That said, I enjoyed PSOBB a lot, and so I have no problems whatsoever with a very small community.

And it's going to continue to dwindle down to nothing every time as long as Sega keeps asking for $10/month for an anime-sci-fi-diablo clone.

Actually at first it was amusing that Sega kept doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Now it's just sad. Like watching a retard licking a frozen pole and getting stuck for the fifth time in a row.

Merumeru
Nov 27, 2006, 11:06 AM
On 2006-11-25 11:32, Xbob wrote:
As long as I can still find a full party of people and a lobby of morons, it'll still be all I wish for. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

XD seconded

for me during the morning on weekdays, its usually pretty empty, just gotta wait til the kids get out of school and the weekends XD hey better to have this than too much lag from a ton of people

peenk
Nov 27, 2006, 01:09 PM
On 2006-11-27 00:10, AkiraXxx wrote:
Im hoping sega is going to pull one of those "SURPRISE HERES 500MB WORTH OF CONTENT!" and we will have a shit load of NEW items,quest,clothes and all that other good shiet by april next year.

NEW items/etc NOT GONNA HAPPEN no matter how good it sounds

we have PS2 and 360, both HD-less versions meaning that PSU for 360 does not require HD to play, which means you cant have 500MB updates because there is no space to store that data
read the back of the game case, it doesnt require HD to play and so SEGA will be limited to pathetic little patches or "unlocks" or what ever

Merumeru
Nov 27, 2006, 01:36 PM
XD yah we can all make wishes and such, but dont get your hopes up, just learn to enjoy and work with whats available i suppose :3

peenk
Nov 27, 2006, 06:03 PM
On 2006-11-27 10:36, Merumeru wrote:
XD yah we can all make wishes and such, but dont get your hopes up, just learn to enjoy and work with whats available i suppose :3

I am allergic to peanuts.
I have lunch break at my work and I go out to eat. The closest store only offers peanut butter sandwiches. They wont even sell me regular bread just full blown peanut butter sandwich. I guess I'll learn to not be allergic to peanuts because its not like I would go less than 10 meters further to another place which offers more food for the same money and without any peanuts.

PS I am not allergic to peanuts.

Parn
Nov 27, 2006, 06:13 PM
Call me crazy peenk, but I've seen you do nothing here but complain over and over every time you post, and for some reason, you're still here. You know that annoying individual that's ranting about how fake WWF wrestling is while everyone else is just trying to enjoy the show? Or that irritating person who's blabbing on about how unhealthy that dessert is that everyone else is eating even though no one at the table gives a crap and just wants to enjoy their meal? Yeah, that's you.

We get it. You don't like Phantasy Star Universe. Fine. Let it go and move on. Seriously.