PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy 3 really got me thinking...

Xbob
Nov 25, 2006, 08:03 PM
So, inbetween runs on PSU or rounds on America's Army, I spend time playing FF3 (Hey, I work 10 and a half hours a day, 6 days a week, I take my game time seriously.) on my DS. It got me thinking, it would be really cool if Sega did what Nintendo did on Animal Crossing and tossed some hidden games in for use in your room. How cool would it be to find, say, Phantasy Star 4 on a HIVE run and be able to play the full game on your character?

Or perhaps some nice little multiplayer mini-games for people who visit your room? I always loved the old NES games on Animal Crossing and wished there were more.

So, yes, FF3 reminded me of AC for the GCN which prompted me to request EMU on PSU.

Turambar
Nov 25, 2006, 08:06 PM
That would be quite nice. And damit, the EB Games near me was still out of stock for FFIII up until the day before Thanksgiving.....

Niered
Nov 25, 2006, 08:35 PM
What do you think that shop that isnt accesible is there for...=O

Just a geuss...or maybe the club has an arcade?

Eternal_Drake
Nov 25, 2006, 08:36 PM
IMO they are just a waste of disc space, and am glad there aren't any.

Xbob
Nov 25, 2006, 08:40 PM
On 2006-11-25 17:36, Eternal_Drake wrote:

Yes, because full length versions of classic games totally suck. The 2-3 megs they take up is really terribly unnacceptable on the 4-8 gig DVD.

Eternal_Drake
Nov 25, 2006, 08:44 PM
On 2006-11-25 17:40, Xbob wrote:

Yes, because full length versions of classic games totally suck. The 2-3 megs they take up is really terribly unnacceptable on the 4-8 gig DVD.

A small waste is still a waste.

Niered
Nov 25, 2006, 08:44 PM
Remember the Gallon's shop minigames in PSO GC and XB? Those sucked. But the NighTs GBA downloadable was incredibly entertaining! more stuff of that wuality would be nice.

Skuda
Nov 25, 2006, 08:48 PM
On 2006-11-25 17:35, Niered wrote:
What do you think that shop that isnt accesible is there for...=O

Just a geuss...or maybe the club has an arcade?

I'm assuming it's a lounge with a juke box, seeing as some old Sega songs have been found in the PSU data.

Garnet_Moon
Nov 25, 2006, 08:50 PM
Give us Juke Boxes for our rooms! I want to listen to the Burning Rangers theme while i'm synthing! D:<

HiKeRI
Nov 25, 2006, 09:39 PM
Maybe a duel lobby where you can get your PM's unto battle, or maybe a trading card game lobby just like the old pso, or just some old skool arcade lobby to chill out ;o

Xbob
Nov 25, 2006, 09:41 PM
Or a Karaoke Machine stage for the Xbox 360 users... then they could all be Phantasy Stars!

Banert
Nov 25, 2006, 09:44 PM
Get them to bring soccer and chair racing back from PSO. You know you want them.

Turambar
Nov 25, 2006, 09:44 PM
That...might not be the best of ideas...*shudder*

Maskim
Nov 25, 2006, 09:45 PM
I'd love if they did this, like the arcade in Shenmue. I think it would be great to find a Master System or a Genesis in a run, use it either with your PM, or as a room decoration to be able to play some old games. Maybe a 'waste' what with everything so readily available for emu download, but what a novel and great addition. I swear, when Shenmue first came out, just about every review I read spoke more about the arcade than anything else. Wish they had focused more on the game actually, since I ended up hating it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Garnet_Moon
Nov 25, 2006, 09:53 PM
On 2006-11-25 18:41, Xbob wrote:
Or a Karaoke Machine stage for the Xbox 360 users... then they could all be Phantasy Stars!

............................................______ __
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?........................... ...........................,
.................../.................................................. .........,}
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`}
.............../.................................................. .,:”........./
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.`~,......“~.,....................`.....} ............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|............ ..`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,....................................... ..................
...................`=~-,,.,.............................................. .................
................................`:,,.............. .............`..............__...............
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``.....................
........................................_......... .._,-%.......`...................................
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`............................... ....

Xbob
Nov 25, 2006, 09:54 PM
Sorry, I had to use the Phantasy STAR thing at least once. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Eternal_Drake
Nov 25, 2006, 10:01 PM
Im pretty sure Sega is too busy working on giving us things we should actually have, rather than wasting their time on things like an arcade.

Chris28
Nov 25, 2006, 10:03 PM
or, you could go buy Sega Genesis Collection for PS2/PSP. I think it has 30 games on it. Check out this site.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152778

Xbob
Nov 25, 2006, 10:03 PM
On 2006-11-25 19:01, Eternal_Drake wrote:
Im pretty sure Sega is too busy working on giving us things we should actually have, rather than wasting their time on things like an arcade.

Yes, because Paco lost the key to our locked content, right?

Kent
Nov 26, 2006, 01:28 AM
...In all seriousness, it would be incredibly easy to stream an early Genesis/Master System title to a player from a server. A lot of Genesis games were 1 MB or less - that's a few seconds on a modern connection, for the entire game. It'd really be pretty easy to script something like that into the game, though they most likely never will.

DoubleJG
Nov 26, 2006, 01:47 AM
FF3 is truly amazing.

On topic, I'm sure PSU will host a few minigames down the line even it is just Lunga racing or something.

Eternal_Drake
Nov 26, 2006, 01:52 AM
On 2006-11-25 22:28, Kent wrote:
...In all seriousness, it would be incredibly easy to stream an early Genesis/Master System title to a player from a server. A lot of Genesis games were 1 MB or less - that's a few seconds on a modern connection, for the entire game. It'd really be pretty easy to script something like that into the game, though they most likely never will.

Oh yes, lets increase the filesize of the game already taking up about 1/3 of the average memory card even more.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eternal_Drake on 2006-11-25 22:53 ]</font>

Xbob
Nov 26, 2006, 01:57 AM
On 2006-11-25 22:52, Eternal_Drake wrote:

Oh yes, lets increase the filesize of the game already taking up about 1/3 of the average memory card even more.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eternal_Drake on 2006-11-25 22:53 ]</font>

Which is why PS2 users ruined it for the rest of us. They only made the HDD not required so they could get more players. A poor choice indeed.

AkiraXxx
Nov 26, 2006, 02:02 AM
On 2006-11-25 17:03, Xbob wrote:
So, inbetween runs on PSU or rounds on America's Army, I spend time playing FF3 (Hey, I work 10 and a half hours a day, 6 days a week, I take my game time seriously.) on my DS. It got me thinking, it would be really cool if Sega did what Nintendo did on Animal Crossing and tossed some hidden games in for use in your room. How cool would it be to find, say, Phantasy Star 4 on a HIVE run and be able to play the full game on your character?

Or perhaps some nice little multiplayer mini-games for people who visit your room? I always loved the old NES games on Animal Crossing and wished there were more.

So, yes, FF3 reminded me of AC for the GCN which prompted me to request EMU on PSU.

How bout some minigames period. Theres nothing to do in psu atm but grind. How bout some racing, slots or cards or lobby ball or some pvp.

Xbob
Nov 26, 2006, 02:04 AM
...Bumper Chairs

Choja
Nov 26, 2006, 02:06 AM
We should sit around, /card and play blackjack, or play odds and evens with with /dice, or go away pick a random number with /random and get one of the players to get close to the number chosen.
The chat commands are there to do! (AkiraXxx, yes, cards!)

Eternal_Drake
Nov 26, 2006, 02:15 AM
On 2006-11-25 23:02, AkiraXxx wrote:

On 2006-11-25 17:03, Xbob wrote:

How bout some minigames period. Theres nothing to do in psu atm but grind. How bout some racing, slots or cards or lobby ball or some pvp.

Unless it is already on the disc IT ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN. PERIOD.

Like Xbob said, us PS2 players have "ruined" it for you. With memory cards only capable of 8mb, they dont have the room to go shoving on random ass mini-games that serve little purpose while sucking up peoples space.

Possibly on 360, though I severely doubt they would spend time developing useless content for only one userbase [other than essentials such as voice chat, which arent useless].

You are not getting mini-games now. You are not going to ever get mini-games. Ever. Its that simple, no point speculating about "well maybe in the next update", because it just won't happen.

A jukebox maybe, because before someone pointed out that some old school pso music was on the disc.

Xbob
Nov 26, 2006, 02:17 AM
They COULD make it server accessible. Temporary downloads to your system's RAM that only work in your room. Still almost 100% unlikely but fun to speculate. I bet if we all bugged enough and threatened to cancel our accounts they'd eventually toss in a Sonic mini-game. XD

Kent
Nov 26, 2006, 02:30 AM
On 2006-11-25 22:57, Xbob wrote:

Which is why PS2 users ruined it for the rest of us. They only made the HDD not required so they could get more players. A poor choice indeed.

..."Stream." Let's use Phantasy Star II for an example. You tell it to start up PSII, and it downloads the title screen and various menu graphics from the server... All of which most likely happens in less than a second, and goes directly to RAM (nobody said anything about memory cards, here). After you start, data for your characters, the map you're on, etc. are all downloaded from the server. When you go into a battle, it downloads the new enemies every time you find them. When you save, it saves to your account on the server.

Seriously, being that they're 16-color, low-res images, MIDI music files, and very digitized sound effects, it could be done this way easily, unless you're on a connection so pitiful that you shouldn't be playing online games in the first place (especially PSU). It wouldn't be saving any data client-side, so no need of memory card space would be needed, at all. It's a simple idea, really.

Eternal_Drake
Nov 26, 2006, 02:34 AM
On 2006-11-25 23:30, Kent wrote:

..."Stream." Let's use Phantasy Star II for an example. You tell it to start up PSII, and it downloads the title screen and various menu graphics from the server... All of which most likely happens in less than a second, and goes directly to RAM (nobody said anything about memory cards, here). After you start, data for your characters, the map you're on, etc. are all downloaded from the server. When you go into a battle, it downloads the new enemies every time you find them. When you save, it saves to your account on the server.

Seriously, being that they're 16-color, low-res images, MIDI music files, and very digitized sound effects, it could be done this way easily, unless you're on a connection so pitiful that you shouldn't be playing online games in the first place (especially PSU). It wouldn't be saving any data client-side, so no need of memory card space would be needed, at all. It's a simple idea, really.

Uh, are you saying that the images, music files, monster models, maps, etc. arent saved to the system file/disc?

Xbob
Nov 26, 2006, 02:50 AM
You could save it all to your RAM for the duration. The entire game Animal Crossing could be loaded onto the RAM and be played without the disc on the Gamecube. I'm sure an old Genesis or whatever game poses no threat to the 128 megs of RAM ---ABSOLUTE MINIMUM--- that I believe the PS2 has, it may have a lot more, I have no idea. I know it has enough to save a simple game to the RAM for a duration though. Your SAVE data could either be saved as part of your MyRoom on the server or much easier onto your harddrive, where it would take up less than a kilobyte.

It would be so incredibly easy.

AnamanaAU
Nov 26, 2006, 02:54 AM
On 2006-11-25 17:44, Eternal_Drake wrote:

On 2006-11-25 17:40, Xbob wrote:

A small waste is still a waste.

Yet, people complain about lack of content.

Kent
Nov 26, 2006, 03:31 AM
On 2006-11-25 23:34, Eternal_Drake wrote:

On 2006-11-25 23:30, Kent wrote:

Uh, are you saying that the images, music files, monster models, maps, etc. arent saved to the system file/disc?

...Okay, you know this topic was about much smaller, downloadable minigames (or even older games in their full version) playable within PSU, right? These games wouldn't have models for monsters, and everything would be a bunch of very tiny files, because they're from such old games, and thus, could be streamed from the server, directly into your system's RAM, without saving them to a memory card or anything like that.

KojiroAK
Nov 26, 2006, 03:41 AM
On 2006-11-25 23:50, Xbob wrote:
You could save it all to your RAM for the duration. The entire game Animal Crossing could be loaded onto the RAM and be played without the disc on the Gamecube. I'm sure an old Genesis or whatever game poses no threat to the 128 megs of RAM ---ABSOLUTE MINIMUM--- that I believe the PS2 has, it may have a lot more, I have no idea. I know it has enough to save a simple game to the RAM for a duration though. Your SAVE data could either be saved as part of your MyRoom on the server or much easier onto your harddrive, where it would take up less than a kilobyte.

It would be so incredibly easy.

Ask Wiki: 32 MByte Rambus or RDRAM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS2#Technical_specifications)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KojiroAK on 2006-11-26 00:41 ]</font>

Xbob
Nov 26, 2006, 03:43 AM
Wow. 32 MByte, that's awful, but still more than enough to run a Genesis game.

Kent
Nov 26, 2006, 03:46 AM
Running them aside, you could probably fit all of the really good Genesis games in all of that.

KojiroAK
Nov 26, 2006, 07:16 AM
On 2006-11-26 00:43, Xbob wrote:
Wow. 32 MByte, that's awful, but still more than enough to run a Genesis game.

be carefull if you relate this with PCs RAM.
For example WinXP alone uses 384 MB RAM.

You should allways remember PC have to do lot more beside of the Game, while consoles only have the game to handle.

So you can't compare Console hardware to PC hardware.

AnamanaAU
Nov 26, 2006, 07:37 AM
I don't know why everyone's acting like the PS2 can't run emulated games, what about all those sega collections? Redundancy argument get.

Jife_Jifremok
Nov 26, 2006, 07:55 AM
I'd rather actually play PSU, but maybe that's because I'll be getting the Genesis Collectionreal soon. I already have the Phantasy Star collection on GBA but those three games aged like moldy wine.

Now if they had some more original minigames, or maybe Bank Panic...

KojiroAK
Nov 26, 2006, 08:03 AM
On 2006-11-26 04:37, JubeiSaotome wrote:
I don't know why everyone's acting like the PS2 can't run emulated games, what about all those sega collections? Redundancy argument get.

Where do people say that PS2 can run emulated games?
Actually i didn't see one.

They talked about the storage of the game.
Where i would say it shouldn't also be a problem to save the games on an second memory card.

I don't think the collections games are emulated games.
I think they are adapted for PS2.

But it shouldn't be a problem for PS2 to run 16 bit games as an emulation.

But beside of all the storage debate, there is also one thing people should think about:
Why should Sega give you this games for free, if they can sell you the games separate or at charged downloads?

butzopower
Nov 26, 2006, 01:05 PM
Make some weird version of Chu Chu Rocket using some crazy quest scripts. Sonic Team could do it... Something MushiKing would be way easier I guess... Really, we just need something that we can do AGAINST eachother rather than with eachother.

HiKeRI
Nov 26, 2006, 01:17 PM
I'm thinking that they should do it, but in later updates where they have already settled with the game, and they would give us free mini games because seriously Chat + Missions is not a full thing to do in PSU, atleast they could drop in a card game like FFXI's or other fun stuff PSO had.

Zaiden
Nov 26, 2006, 04:02 PM

PS2 users didn't ruin anything. Sega made the decision to make PSU on the PS2, not us. So if anything, blame Sega, not the people who are forced or want to play PSU on the PS2.

Wallin
Nov 26, 2006, 04:03 PM
You'd know Sega was trying to kill the game if they made it for the PS3 that no one owns instead of the PS2.

Xbob
Nov 26, 2006, 04:04 PM
On 2006-11-26 13:02, Zaiden wrote:

PS2 users didn't ruin anything. Sega made the decision to make PSU on the PS2, not us. So if anything, blame Sega, not the people who are forced or want to play PSU on the PS2.

If you all didn't buy a PS2, none of this would have ever been a problem. Your fault. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

ZiG
Nov 26, 2006, 05:22 PM
I have to agree that if it's not already on the disc for PS2,it won't ever be in the game,unfortunately.

As for the locked club....

Strip club, please. Thank you.

Wallin
Nov 26, 2006, 05:28 PM
On 2006-11-26 14:22, ZiG wrote:
I have to agree that if it's not already on the disc for PS2,it won't ever be in the game,unfortunately.

That never ever occurred to me... wow, PS2 suddenly sucks.

ZiG
Nov 26, 2006, 05:45 PM
Yeah, the problem is, they won't release content for PC is PS2 users can't get it. The only thing I could think of would be an expansion disc, where PS2 users had to "insert disc 2" to get into, but I don't see that happening.

Xbob
Nov 26, 2006, 05:49 PM
The expansion disc could hold all the game data easily. PSU install is like what, 4-5 gigs tops? They could go dual-layer and we'd all be happy.