PDA

View Full Version : I am confused by this

AlieNxxxxxxxx
Nov 26, 2006, 08:36 AM
Why do you have to pay to get online on PSO/U?
I never got why you needed too, it seems that all other games with servers are free... battfield, halo, splinter cell, ect.
Fill me in please, and I am not complaining or anything, I am just confused as to why I cannot play online. I simply do not have the money to pay for it, I know it is small, but I am in college and every bit of my money counts, that 4 bucks is my food for the day lol.

Neith
Nov 26, 2006, 08:41 AM
Look at the RPG online market. Most RPG's are not free to play online (World of Warcraft, Lineage II, City of Heroes, Final Fantasy XI etc). PSO/PSU are just the same.

AlieNxxxxxxxx
Nov 26, 2006, 08:43 AM
Ohh... So it is just the certain types of games? Such as RPG's?
I see... I just wish I had the spare change to pay for the online game, I had played a few months while I still lived with my parents 2 years ago when I was a senior, and I loved playing online with a ton of people... But now I am S.O.L since I am broke http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Neith
Nov 26, 2006, 08:46 AM
Yeah, it seems to be mainly with RPG's. Games like the ones you mentioned are free, but a lot of RPG's are pay-to-play online.

I guess it's mainly for the content updates/server maintenence, which is pretty important to an online game.

Realmz
Nov 26, 2006, 08:46 AM
well the maximum amount of money you'll be spending per month is ten dollars. thats something like 34 cents a day.

WoW's monthly fee is 15 dollars, FFXI's is 10 plus an additional dollar for the numbber of additional characters you have.

ours is a flat ten per month or eight something should you get the six month subscription

AlieNxxxxxxxx
Nov 26, 2006, 08:47 AM
I see... Thank you, I have always been confused by it and now I understand.
Well, off to class http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif SOmewhat... I always just fiddle around on my lap top in physics... I took it twice in high school, and I got everything down already http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Randomness
Nov 26, 2006, 09:17 AM
On 2006-11-26 05:36, AlieNxxxxxxxx wrote:
Why do you have to pay to get online on PSO/U?
I never got why you needed too, it seems that all other games with servers are free... battfield, halo, splinter cell, ect.
Fill me in please, and I am not complaining or anything, I am just confused as to why I cannot play online. I simply do not have the money to pay for it, I know it is small, but I am in college and every bit of my money counts, that 4 bucks is my food for the day lol.

FPS games dont have central servers run by the producer. Those games are hosted on servers or computers owned by other players.

Slorg
Nov 26, 2006, 09:43 AM
Well being in the custom software development industry your 10 bucks a month goes to the following items ++

Server hosting: Probably at least 3k per month / server * Minimum 27 servers
Storage (SAN)
Media
Bandwidth
Electricity
Rent
Insurance
Director
Manager
2-5 Technical staff
1-5 QA Staff
1-2 Office Admin
Phones + Cell Phones/Pagers/Etc.
Computer equipment (desktops/laptops)
Office Supplies
etc.

The cost of the game itself pays somewhat for the years of development and staff required to make the game.