PDA

View Full Version : Maybe PSU does have some things similar to FFXI..

AnamanaAU
Nov 27, 2006, 08:23 AM
..like a totally rooted ecconomy. Amirite or amirite?

Zabot
Nov 27, 2006, 08:35 AM
or maybe it has nothing in common because they are completely different games, with different fighting styles and different kinds of people playing them(not considering the shittty people on the 360, if ya know what i mean), oh and that, i have played it and its a complete waste of money, at least this game offers offline mode, oh and from all of this i conclude, FFXI sucks, and PSU cannot be compared to other games, so everyone stop doing it, no one cares and you are wasting your time.

Peace

gimbola
Nov 27, 2006, 09:09 AM
zabot i think thats actually a rather meaningless post.

having played FFXI for a good 2 years myself i think that your post is a complete disrespect to the game and its community.

there is alot of faults to FFXI which i am not dismissing, for example the fact you cant really do much without a party and it can take a good few hours to get one. but the game itself is alot of fun if you like that style of play.

i agree it isnt really possible to compare it to PSU since you can happily play it solo and still beable to do pretty much everything none-the-less.

Turambar
Nov 27, 2006, 09:14 AM
In that case Gim, you might as well take the retort towards the thread in general. It was meant, after all, to imply FFXI as a pathetic game.

Nayte
Nov 27, 2006, 09:16 AM
On 2006-11-27 05:35, Zabot wrote:
PSU cannot be compared to other games, so everyone stop doing it...

Peace

PSU isnt exactly 100% fresh, breaming with originality now is it? of course it can be compared to other games. Its kind of pointless sure but it can be done.

I dont have a problem with the economy so far. Im just annoyed the fact that theres only one page of shop listings so basically, alot of people get screwed over anyway.

Alpha-Hunter
Nov 27, 2006, 09:17 AM
well, i think the thread was really about both respective economies, not game play mechanics so...

Sekani
Nov 27, 2006, 09:18 AM
The games are different, but the players seem to be becoming a lot more alike. Whining about the economy, play-your-class rants, blacklisting threats, boot threats, prejudiced elitists (well, against a console instead of a nationality this time), and other stuff I'm sure I haven't seen yet.

WoW and FFXI had enough of this bullshit. I don't need it in this game too.

-Ryuki-
Nov 27, 2006, 09:18 AM
FFXi doesn't suck one bit. Being the first MMO I actually played on my own free will (no friends or any people, not even reviews), and enjoyed from what time I had on it. The only thing I disliked about the game, was how SLOW the leveling was. That was it. Other than that, the game itself was awesome. I tried out WoW just to see what the craze was, and the only thing I really enjoyed doing in that game was jumping off of high places and "diving" into bodies of water (or missing it, being that I missed the water by an inch before). I don't know how you come off saying the game sucks without giving much valid reasons.

So, let's start a debate. Give reason to why you dislike it, and I'll counter a game that I think, deserves much more credit than you and Zabot give it.

-Ryuki-
Nov 27, 2006, 09:21 AM
On 2006-11-27 06:18, Sekani wrote:
The games are different, but the players seem to be becoming a lot more alike. Whining about the economy, play-your-class rants, blacklisting threats, boot threats, prejudiced elitists (well, against a console instead of a nationality this time), and other stuff I'm sure I haven't seen yet.

Speaking of blacklists, I got blacklisted for the first time on PSU, and it was by a friend who got annoyed at me. That was it. Just simply annoyed, yet, friends annoy each other often, and I get blacklisted.

They still won't unblacklist me, nor do they seem to have intention of doing so anytime soon. Rather heinous, in my opinion.

panzer_unit
Nov 27, 2006, 09:24 AM
The games are different, but the players seem to be becoming a lot more alike.

FFXI players will act like FFXI players pretty much wherever they go. Fortunately there are still lots of people who aren't losers to team with.

gimbola
Nov 27, 2006, 09:25 AM
in what way is the game pathetic tho http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

i can only actually see 2 major flaws in it.. firstly and most obvious the large amount of waiting around, both getting party and traveling around the world and secondly the fact that even after a large amount of work RMT is still present which is a major hit on the games economy http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

somehow i doubt RMT will be present in PSU though

-Ryuki-
Nov 27, 2006, 09:31 AM
RMT's already present in PSU. Go on EBay, check it out =P

Nietzsche
Nov 27, 2006, 09:32 AM
i played ffxi for a long time and to me its single biggest flaw is that by its very nature you had to really put hardcore time into it to acamplish anything, i mean heck by the time you take looking for party time into account, then travel time, then the basic ettiquette that said things like give tons of notice before you leave and get a replacement and at least be in the group for 2 hours it was rather pointless to only play a couple hours, ffxi was the kind of game where you'd say "geez i only have 3 hours to play, i might as well not even log on", i like that in PSU i can just play an hour and accomplish something and also on my days off play for hours

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nietzsche on 2006-11-27 06:34 ]</font>

Cross
Nov 27, 2006, 09:37 AM
On 2006-11-27 06:18, RyukiZero wrote:
FFXi doesn't suck one bit. [...] So, let's start a debate. Give reason to why you dislike it, and I'll counter a game that I think, deserves much more credit than you and Zabot give it.

I have, in fact, written a post on a different forum about why FFXI is horrible just a few hours ago:

"I could go on at length about just how bad the grind is. It permeates every single area of the game. If you start trying to list all the ridiculous shit you need to do, you'd be typing at your post for easily over a thousand words.

So take all that for granted, and it still manages to have the worst customer service imaginable (Yeah, they eventually stopped, but in the beginning they did delete characters after 3 months of inactivity, and in my case actually deleted my account, as in I had to buy a second copy if I ever wanted to play again). There's also, to the best of my knowledge, no way to cancel your account without having a fully-patched PlayOnline client (for those who haven't had the pleasure, imagine the bastard offspring of a late-90s all-Flash website and one of those popup ads that play music). Patching it can take upwards of an hour.

Beyond all of that, once you get in-game, and once you come to terms with the fact that to get anywhere in this game, the rest of your life will cease, the rewards are tiny.
The servers use very inexact methods to show you what's happening on-screen; there's no guarantee that you, the enemy, or any other players are in the same position on everybody's screen. Most actions feel extremely sluggish; I'll lump in the irritatingly slow walk speed as part of the grind, but to go from resting to standing is a 2-3 second affair, and it's the same with most menu functions that have to call from the server.
The art direction ranges from generic and mediocre, to "by Billy, Age 8". You've basically got anime fanwank catgirls furry enough that they have snouts, elves that look like the result of a whole hell of a lot of inbreeding, and they're all running around wearing bondage gear.
The combat is unbelievably slow, and nearly non-interactive. 90% of a fight is just directly comparing steady rates of damage with steady rates of healing and seeing who drops first, coupled with a retardedly-simple aggro system. When something unexpected happens, it's usually an AoE attack from an enemy (which never displays the entire AoE, so standing outside of it never feels like an exact science). Their attempt at adding depth to the combat is laughable. You chain skills together, one after another, and get bonus damage. The problem is that the timing window isn't tight enough that you have to pay attention to combat or anything, so you can just lump it in with the auto-attack for the most part. There are a lot of chains to use, and they all have different elemental affinities, which on the surface seems like it might add an element of decision-making to the combat - except elemental damage affinities are more or less set in stone, and since the ideal way to level is to fight one enemy at a time, you'll be using the exact same chain throughout the entire fight once you know what element to use.
The whole combat engine just reeks of halfassed-ness. There's nothing interesting to do, it's boring to watch, and boring to play, and it's so slow and sluggish that if you can make it to level 20 without falling asleep mid-game at least once, you probably have some sort of chronic insomnia.

The worst part of the game, though, is unquestionably the community. The average FFXI player is polite, will treat you with respect, type using something that approximates proper grammar, will keep their cool if something goes wrong and you literally lose three hours of progress due to one wrong move or a run of bad luck, will be so impossibly inept at actually playing the game that they can't remember to press one button every thirty seconds, and talking with one for more than fifteen minutes makes you extremely uncomfortable because nine times out of ten it becomes obvious that the game is their life and you want to say something, but they've been so damn polite you'd feel like an asshole coming right out and saying it.

Hey, maybe the story's good, but you'll spend hundreds of hours getting to it, and you won't have any fun the whole way, and being around the players for extended periods of time can launch you into a deep depression."

It's a horrible, horrible game.

-Ryuki-
Nov 27, 2006, 09:51 AM
Y'know, now I feel embarassed, because I wasn't expecting someone to actually type something that long YET. I was hoping to get some sleep first (pulled an all-nighter), before having to post.

For now, I'll cower >.<;

Nietzsche
Nov 27, 2006, 09:52 AM
oh as far as PSU's economy, when photon's start selling for about 1k a pop i'll worry lol

Tsudori
Nov 27, 2006, 10:08 AM
PSU RULES!!! FF12 sux. End of.

Tsudori
Nov 27, 2006, 10:10 AM
ff11 sorry lol

Tahldon
Nov 27, 2006, 10:16 AM
My question is, why compare?

Take PSU for what it is and if people all try to make the best of it individually then we won't have all those problems.

And what's up with bashing people who play the 360? Damn, that just grinds my gears like you wouldn't believe. EVERYONE isn't as bad as you think, guy. Geez.

Wheatpenny
Nov 27, 2006, 10:38 AM
OH GOD OH GOD FFXI THREAD I GOTTA STEP IN THIS ONE!!!!!

Wheatpenny here and let me tell ya,I played FFXI from 3/04 untill 8/06.At first I loved the game then as I got in my 50's began to notice the games flaws.(and there are several you might want to get a soda and a sandwich for this one)

1.Economy-Dear god people on this game are greedy dirtbags.I usualy had to spend more time farming money for equipment than questing and leveling combined.What the hell?

2.Player Mindset-When I first started this game back in 3/06 people were cool,no one cared whether or not you had the best gear and we all had a good time.As time went on it got to a point to where everyone had a stance of "If you don't have ALL of your gear as the BEST stuff for your level." then congradulations you got to get real aquinted with sitting in Jeuno for ever LFP.

3.RMT-This so much isn't a narc on the RMT but more a narc on Square for not doing crap about it because their GM are total jokes.I heard from a friend that still plays that recently they assembled a task force to hunt down gil sellers/buyers.But I quit the game already like many have..canb we say day late and a dollar short?

4.Soloing-Ok lemme spell something out here.Unless you are a Beastmaster you can not solo anything above level 12 without it being a death/near death experience.In PSU I can solo my head off if I wanted to.

5.Chains of Promathia-This expansion was so bad I don't even have to leave commentary.

6.Quest/Missions-Ok the numbnuts at Square who came up with the novel idea that later on almost all of your missions or quest require 12-18 players at 60+ needs to be smacked in the head with a large chunck of magicite.

I am sure I could come up with more but those are my major complaints.I know also I am not the only ex-FFXI player that feels this way.But just thought I would chime my 2 cents in. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wheatpenny on 2006-11-27 07:55 ]</font>

Xbob
Nov 27, 2006, 08:35 PM
I quit FFXI at level 63 as a PLD/WAR. The only real reason was because I didn't have the time to level anymore. 8 hours (No lie.) of grinding the same monster with the same group earned me a mighty 1/3rd of my exp bar. Dying knocked a nice 10% or so off your exp and if you were lucky and got a Raise II then it wasn't SO bad. Other than that, and the fact that everything was insanely expensive and I always seemed to be broke (Synthing is for noobs in every single MMO. I refuse to work while playing video games. Ever.) I really liked FFXI. The combat system was fine, slow, but not retardedly simple like WoW, which I also enjoyed but got tired of doing MC/BWL runs every other day for a 1% chance at a decent piece of gear. Or later on, with the DKP system where the game itself was so inept of loot that you had to create your own system to dsitribute it. Nothing like requiring 40 people for decent gear.

-Ryuki-
Nov 27, 2006, 08:46 PM
Yeah, the penalty for dying is troublesome. They promote party-play so much, that you can't even solo until you're much higher in levels. What's even worse, is that if you're a class, like say DRG, you get no party invites. If no one wants you, you lose out on experience.

Also, the economy is dependant on the server you're on. That, is fact.

Doh42
Nov 27, 2006, 08:49 PM
Sigh, stop bashing FF11. It's not PSU. It's not WoW.

WoW is the heaven for PvPers, for explorers, for soloers, for casual players, for epic raids, etc.

PSU is my dream game, as well as many of you guys, I assume; action-based, dodging, actual skill, short-time span, plain fun.

FF11 is a world; it's not a "game". It feels more like a D&D table-top campaign. The game doesn't forgive mistakes, soloing is NOT a good idea in dangerous areas, skill increase by doing things over and over, and only by facing certain-death situations will you really tests your limits. I mean, it feels like... LIFE. Which is something people complain about "It feels like a job", and that's exactly what the game is trying to be.

I mean, it's a design decision. You guys might not LIKE playing FF, and the community (and economy) can make it unbearable, but the basic concept behind the game isn't bad, it's just not a game for everyone.

My 2 cents.

Parn
Nov 27, 2006, 08:56 PM

Sekani hit the nail on the head. Apparently Final Fantasy XI has done a great job of teaching a new generation of online gamers that being a prick to every single person that doesn't share your "maximize damage, XP, and money per hour or you're worthless" style of gaming is totally awesome. You know, because we didn't have enough of this retarded social ladder horseshit in the real world, we gamers have to make one in a virtual world too.

I'm seriously starting to lose interest in this game, and it's all because most of the community is absolutely horrible to deal with. There's some great people around, but they're outnumbered by jerks by like, a 100 to 1 ratio or something. My hopes of reliving the early Dreamcast days of PSO were all but annihilated. I'm going to keep playing but, seriously, it's disheartening to watch people squabble so much over a game. PSO had issues of its own, but I don't recall it being to this extreme, especially so early in an online game's lifespan.

HiKeRI
Nov 27, 2006, 09:03 PM
FFXI was my greatest game evar~ PSU can't even compare to my experiences like FFXI did, WoW got close but was boring, and so far the only thing similar i see is either People, Economy, "PAs" (Weapon Skills) and suchs..

Shaia
Nov 27, 2006, 09:11 PM
On 2006-11-27 06:32, Nietzsche wrote:

ffxi was the kind of game where you'd say "geez i only have 3 hours to play, i might as well not even log on"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nietzsche on 2006-11-27 06:34 ]</font>

That, in a nutshell, is the single best description of FFXI, and the reason why PSU appeals to me so much.

HiKeRI
Nov 27, 2006, 09:16 PM
In 3 hrs i could'of done 500k-1m or have 1 or 2 lv's or merits, or.. do what i do on PSU which is mess around, notice though not everyone is like meh, which got it all easy xD

_Deliverance_
Nov 27, 2006, 09:17 PM
Well said, Parn.

-Ryuki-
Nov 27, 2006, 09:43 PM
I hold no opinion on this subject anymore.

Xeraphim
Nov 27, 2006, 09:45 PM
There are too many asshats around, Parn. I just try and stay away from them by going to the random universes. NEVER go to Uni1, simply because it's the main terminus. Uni 15, 17, and 2 are where I usually go. I read all these stories about every asshole they've run into in game, and I've only met maybe one or two. And even then, I can't name them off the top of my head, they just didn't come off as nice people.

Nietzsche
Nov 27, 2006, 10:17 PM
In 3 hrs i could'of done 500k-1m or have 1 or 2 lv's or merits, or.. do what i do on PSU which is mess around, notice though not everyone is like meh, which got it all easy xD

I assume you mean 3 hours AFTER you got into the party?
or using 3 hours to log on and do BCNM or something?
I was a 75 blm which means i could manaburn pretty fast merrits and i don't think i could lfg get a pt and get limits that fast.

industrial
Nov 27, 2006, 10:41 PM
/rant

I wasted 3 years to FFXI so I figured I'll throw in my 2gils.

All you guys crying about FFXI probably didn't have a good LS.
LFG? After my first 75 I had a good LS and grinded all my other jobs in static partys. No LFG.

You can solo tons of stuff using ninja, thief, blm, rdm and bst. You don't solo for XP all the time but it's possible if you don't suck. I solo'd 1/2 my jobs to 25ish and a few to 37. That aside...why is soloing so important to you when playing a true MMORPG? Go play elder scrolls, tons of solo content.

FFXI did have a problem with elitism but I had no problem with that because I didn't suck AND I got in early. It had to be hard to start playing later on when both the JP and NA reached "elite" status.

People like/dislike FFXI because it's simply HARDCORE. PSU is child's play. For PSU to be even close to FFXI you'd have to cut all the xp by 1/10 and make it so everyone has to do runs with mobs 10 levels higher than they are instead of doing runs with mobs 20 levels below you. PSU is easy to pick up and play and even if you SUX you can still level up and get by. In FFXI if you SUX, you drag down your entire party and quicky build up a reputation for sucking. It's hardcore and it's not for everyone. The rewards for seeing FFXI through to the endgame is tons of content, guild(linkshell) drama and of course uber loot. You work 100x harder for endgame loot in FFXI so it means 100x more than some lucky PSU drop you got in a pick up group.

Overall, the key to FFXI was linkshells. They determined who you talked to everyday. They determined how fast you leveled. They determined how much endgame content you could do. They were the key to everything in FFXI. PSU doesn't even have provisions for guilds. Why bother when everything can be done with 6 medicore players. Why bother when you can solo to level cap and get more rares than you would ever get in a party?

/endrant

I think it's good that in PSU meseta means something. Trying to figure out what item is worth what other item is a pain in the butt. See DDO.

VelosofLight
Nov 27, 2006, 11:35 PM
Y'know, the best thing about FFXI was just how insanely huge the world was. I mean you could just sit around and stare up into the virtual sky all day if you wanted and all that, there were plenty of NPCs and quests and things, and, I dunno. I think if it had PSU's combat system of real-time attacks and all that, I'd still be playing it right now.

ZiG
Nov 27, 2006, 11:42 PM
Cross, all of those are valid points, but exaggerated fully. I played FFXI for 3 years, and still do, although I'm tiring of it. And while I agree with pretty much everything you said, I still love the game. It's not as bad as you make it out to be. You're letting your hatred for the game ruin your memories of it.

But uhh, still... <3 PSU

AnamanaAU
Nov 27, 2006, 11:51 PM
PS GUYS: this wasnt a thread about whatever FFXI & PSU have in common. It was ONLY about their crappy player-run ecconomies. Learn 2 forum.

VelosofLight
Nov 27, 2006, 11:54 PM
PS JubeiSaotome: Thread hijacked. Prepare for crash.

AnamanaAU
Nov 27, 2006, 11:55 PM
;_;

ZiG
Nov 27, 2006, 11:55 PM
On 2006-11-27 20:51, JubeiSaotome wrote:
PS GUYS: this wasnt a thread about whatever FFXI & PSU have in common. It was ONLY about their crappy player-run ecconomies. Learn 2 forum.

Funny... cause the title is
"Maybe PSU does have some things similar to FFXI.."

Aaomi
Nov 28, 2006, 12:01 AM
All games have thier flaws and cater to certian gamers...

HiKeRI
Nov 28, 2006, 12:14 AM
On 2006-11-27 19:17, Nietzsche wrote:

I assume you mean 3 hours AFTER you got into the party?
or using 3 hours to log on and do BCNM or something?
I was a 75 blm which means i could manaburn pretty fast merrits and i don't think i could lfg get a pt and get limits that fast.

Lol ki-do the differance between you and me is that i got stuff handed down, which i didnt work for it, the experience on FFXI was just fantastic for me, the moment i log in i didnt had to waste 30min's to find a party or so, it was either [X] Player etc etc "Do ya want to merit for awhile? Then at that instant i get in the party. Yes your a BLM and you mostly just mana burn but between you and me, my differance was my tactic of training as in i was the only one that played like that on the server that lead me to get that much xp so fast and easy. (HQ BLM x2 BRD x1 HQ RDM/NIN (Taru Taru- which he ownz..) and HQ SAM x2 which always had TP ofcourse, now how do this works? RDM plays a 5-10 second Tank while the SAM gives hate to the RDM, but really, the momment the mob came the moment he died.. how? Instant SkillChain, fast Light between Samurais -took the enemy HP to half or less- then the 2 MB's AoE's and sometimes even with 1 AoE the mob died..) We didnt make 5k an hr we sometimes even pulled 10-15k the hr which gave me either 1 merit or 1 merit and a half or more on 3hr total gameplay on the party, on my conclusion it all depends on how the player got thru on the game which creates his mood, if you got bad experience on the game you'll flame it (Like mostly on here on this forums) or if you had a -perfect- experience it'll make them look liek the experience was either decent or ok.

Killuminati
Nov 28, 2006, 01:01 AM
On 2006-11-27 19:41, industrial wrote:
/rant

I wasted 3 years to FFXI so I figured I'll throw in my 2gils.

All you guys crying about FFXI probably didn't have a good LS.
LFG? After my first 75 I had a good LS and grinded all my other jobs in static partys. No LFG.

You can solo tons of stuff using ninja, thief, blm, rdm and bst. You don't solo for XP all the time but it's possible if you don't suck. I solo'd 1/2 my jobs to 25ish and a few to 37. That aside...why is soloing so important to you when playing a true MMORPG? Go play elder scrolls, tons of solo content.

FFXI did have a problem with elitism but I had no problem with that because I didn't suck AND I got in early. It had to be hard to start playing later on when both the JP and NA reached "elite" status.

People like/dislike FFXI because it's simply HARDCORE. PSU is child's play. For PSU to be even close to FFXI you'd have to cut all the xp by 1/10 and make it so everyone has to do runs with mobs 10 levels higher than they are instead of doing runs with mobs 20 levels below you. PSU is easy to pick up and play and even if you SUX you can still level up and get by. In FFXI if you SUX, you drag down your entire party and quicky build up a reputation for sucking. It's hardcore and it's not for everyone. The rewards for seeing FFXI through to the endgame is tons of content, guild(linkshell) drama and of course uber loot. You work 100x harder for endgame loot in FFXI so it means 100x more than some lucky PSU drop you got in a pick up group.

Overall, the key to FFXI was linkshells. They determined who you talked to everyday. They determined how fast you leveled. They determined how much endgame content you could do. They were the key to everything in FFXI. PSU doesn't even have provisions for guilds. Why bother when everything can be done with 6 medicore players. Why bother when you can solo to level cap and get more rares than you would ever get in a party?

/endrant

I think it's good that in PSU meseta means something. Trying to figure out what item is worth what other item is a pain in the butt. See DDO.

Your forgetting Rangers to http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I used to solo worms as ranger during my lower levels. It was actually better then joining a party http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I could chain 4 solo. I remember it was like me and 3 other rangers in "Korrolka" tunnel and we did a chain 5 like constantly with no healer http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif.

From someone who played FFXI for two years off and on and got two jobs to 75 overall I have to say FFXI does suck. The dynamics of the game are horrible. SE made it worser with their updates by nerfing jobs.

I could write an 10 page eassy on how much FFXI sucked and could have been a better game. Soem of the things they make you do is ridiculous. I'll just throw one example out there. Getting your testimony to fight Matt. If you loose to Matt they make you get a new testimony. If any vets to the game know this that Matt as Redmage is one of the hardest if not hardest fights for testimony in the game. Having to get a new testimony after you die to Matt ever time you loose is sickiening.

It wasn't a challenge for me to solo Red Ruby to get my testimony it was just a big waste of time and the whole ordeal was BS. Fought Matt 12 times and lost all twelve times. Killed Ruby 50 times are more solo costing me hours of my time. It takes 15 minutes for me to solo him. If he doessn't drop testimony I have to wait another 15 minutes for him to respawn. Keep killing him until he drops testimony and this is if noone else is there to kill him because other Redmages came to him to solo him to because he was the only person RDM could solo to get testimony and he only spawned in that one room where he could be soloed.

-Ryuki-
Nov 28, 2006, 01:05 AM
Aao, don't talk. You basically quit PSU =/

physic
Nov 28, 2006, 01:26 AM
player run economies suck you say on both, what do you mean. Really the economy is determined by the game makers, and teh people.
In ffxi the best gear for your level was worth tons more because everybody was gonna play a bunch of jbs eventually and by time they got 2nd and 3rd job they could afford to pay 2000000 for level 5 item.

Psu sets up shops which usually determine the max value of items, and even items that are rare by comparison, but because selling to npc is such a big loss, it makes the range in cost wide. right now it seems to err to very cheap compared to stores, which seem somewhat overpriced.

As to the talk of how hard or leet you need to be in psu, thats up to you, sure you can solo C rank missions and get to the cap, and spam relics forever, but you can also go into moatoob, or temple, or past the dragon and test your metal, whats the reward? different items, and levels that may work better for your party, as to what skill and strategy is neceassry, go fight the harder levels, more skill and strat is necessary, as more items come out you ll be able to change your fighting style more, sacrificing pp for accuracy or tap for speel casting speed. Will you get the weapon with the added sleep effect, or the weap with a high elemental bonus.

still though they dont want the game to be totally prohibitive, they will leave the easier routes for the people who like that. Seriously if you think you can solo the whole game go try to get s rank in moatoob demon boss at cap.

As to ffxi sucking , na it didnt suck it was a very good well planned game, it appealed to certain people more than others, as for elitism, ffxi didnt start it or bring it, i saw it way before in other games, and will see it later. Cmode was one of my favorite things in pso, but it got very elitist, people didnt want to roll with certain classes ranger, hunewearl. Elitism is nothing new, and you ll see it anywhere you go where there is any type of penalty for sucking.

onami
Nov 28, 2006, 01:52 AM
RDM Maat was like taking candy from a baby. I don't know how you could lose 12 times. Seriously.

As far as FFXI goes, I've played since launch and still have an active account there.. though I don't play nearly as much anymore. Endgame is/was a joke. 1-3hrs standing around in an area, spam your macro/enter keys for 10 seconds every 30 minutes, and hope you don't get out claimed by another LS.. all for that McRidill. Or Dalmatica/Adaman Hauberk/Koenig Curiass.. or Defending Ring which never dropped. Not to mention getting most of those things didn't make things noticeably easier. Sure, after I got a Dalmatica and a Duelist's Chapeau I had pretty much unlimited MP.. but I never really ran out before those items either. Or get that Ridill/Adaberk and bump up your EXP by 2-3k/hr in a meripo. Or that Black Belt for a 5% increase in damage.. not to mention newer HNMs never dropped stuff better than the older ones so you always always ALWAYS ended up camping the same 3 zones for hours and hours.

Don't even get me started on the RMT.. seeing the same RMT on the server for 2+ years, never banned, never anything.. was frustrating to say the least.

A couple things would have helped FFXI tremendously.. instanced HNMs like Bahamut/Ouryu that dropped comparable gear KB/Aspi/Fafhogg and a more fight back approach to RMT by SE. The other funny thing is seeing how a complete expansion pack (CoP) which SE probably devoted months and months to develop goes relatively unused. You could search Sea and maybe find 3-5 people there at a time.

All in all though, I still had fun early on in FFXI. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

ZiG
Nov 28, 2006, 02:03 AM
On 2006-11-27 22:52, onami wrote:
The other funny thing is seeing how a complete expansion pack (CoP) which SE probably devoted months and months to develop goes relatively unused. You could search Sea and maybe find 3-5 people there at a time.

All in all though, I still had fun early on in FFXI. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Nice, stay out of my sea.

onami
Nov 28, 2006, 02:06 AM
I'm finished with Sea, you can have it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Already got all my obis, and soloing Temenos/Apollyon got boring after I got my earrings.

ZiG
Nov 28, 2006, 02:24 AM
I could care less about the Obis and gorgets...not worth the inv space, I have 5 lvl75 jobs to deal with, lol...

But sea is awesome, honestly... I was the first on Kujata with a Love Torque (there are 3 now, that I know of... Been playing less and less), the Rings pwn, the Homam set is crazy... The Torques are probably the best reason for Sea, but I do agree Sea left alot to be desired, but it's far from empty on Kujata.

-Ryuki-
Nov 28, 2006, 07:40 AM
Oh, I loved how everyone tried to "warn" me about Valkurm, and how it's nothing but "hell". To be just, they hate Valkurm like no tomorrow, and I waltz on in thinking it's the most awesome place ever.

Why? I like beaches =X

FerrSV
Nov 28, 2006, 08:48 AM
gotta say IMO, the best thing I did in FFXI (2 years) is finish chains of promathia missions.
Theres nothing better imo that doing missions with a great storyline with your friends. I enyojed it a lot and was for me mor fun than playing a normal offline FF (and the storyline is simply great!).

The rest (partys, rmt, endgame) is bullshit and made me quit http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

OMGTank
Nov 28, 2006, 10:39 AM
Thing that pissed me off about XI was once you hit endgame and start camping HNMs and the like after awhile you spend hours upon hours camping for shit for someone else because not all the things you camp drops shit you can use. What's more is if your LS is huge now you have a point system thrown in to determine which WAR gets the Ridill first. So now instead of fighting over HNMs with over LSes your fighting in people in your LS for shit too. The it turns into this gigantic "OMFG I was so at more LS events than him" "NO WAI" "YES WAI" ordeal. Not that I ever saw shit being a 75DRG T_T.

lordzanon
Nov 28, 2006, 11:45 AM
LOL FFxi Harcore LOOOOOOOOOL

by hell it was not, if your gonna mention a mmo that was hardcore mention the 1st eq and daoc, those are 2 example of what hardcore gaming is all about.

Ffxi (other than its damn great story, which i had to read off a website (took days also)) is a watered down mmo (i wont compare ffxi to psu since psu is not a mmo)

linkshells: Pathetic any way you se it, if ffxi was your only mmo or your 1st, you got a gimp "guild" chat. older games let you join guilds, and have a full funtion chat, you visually see who was in your guild and even get an emblem for it rather than a stupid color. Also harcore mmos like daoc let you make your own house and guild house. So please try not to paint link shells as the big best way of comunication, many different linkshells had the same colors and its impossible to know whos from what till you check em.

ffxi"hardcore" battle system" LOOOOOL comeon doing skill chains is a breeze. theres no "skill" in timing your part of the sc 2 to 3 sec after the 1st part was unleashed.
Most of the times its you and 5 others ganged up vs 1 mob, you had aoe spells that were completely obsolete since aggroing another mob = dead(unless they are only t and down)
So all you did was 1 person pulls a mob, gang bang it, then pull 1 more mob and repeat for 2 to4 hours till your eyes bleed, and most the times your gonna pull the same mobs depending your lvl.

Big world: LOL chars travel slow as hell making everyithing look big, and travel was a wait to then run to wait some more. example. run all the way to get to the boat in the town in the dunes, only to wait 15 to 20 min for the damn thing to arrive, then 15 to 20 min to actually get to your location. Also FFxi is not a big world, its a sharded world. every new place you go = load screen. Wow (other than its instances) is an example of a big world as you can travel all the way from winterspring to sithilus with no loading parts.

Please do not say ffxi is hardcore, its just not, its more of a waiting game, you need to wait to do things. you wanna make something, you have to wait for the correct day say firesday to make an item with a fire crystal with little chance of blowing it up. thats all the game is wait wait wait.

Daoc was to hardcore for me, eq didnt draw my attention. Ffxi was so so but i cannot afford to wait to then actually play and not be able to spend time with my family due to the game (and yes soloing is important for an mmo for the times you dont have enought time to spend hours in it) wow was casual friendly , but then becomes like daoc and eq at endgame so that was a turn off.

Now im enjoin a ORPG online role playing game which is psu, that gives me time to have fun and then spend some wii time with my wife and daughter.

Zarbolord
Nov 28, 2006, 11:46 AM
I have something you cannot say no to. They both have enemies!!!! O_o

lordzanon
Nov 28, 2006, 11:50 AM
On 2006-11-28 08:46, Zarbolord wrote:
I have something you cannot say no to. They both have enemies!!!! O_o

true but in psu you can rip thru alot of enemies at once, in ffxi more than 1 enemy ment your whole group is dead.

Zarbolord
Nov 28, 2006, 11:52 AM
Unless you throw Ultimaregara. Which I suppose does not exist...

lordzanon
Nov 28, 2006, 11:55 AM
whm accidently casts diaga, then suddenly 3 leeches of doom come and wtf pwn everyone and the crab lives another day.

Zarbolord
Nov 28, 2006, 11:58 AM
No comment http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

FerrSV
Nov 28, 2006, 01:26 PM
When they say FFXI is "hardcore", they dont say it because its a hard game or wathever, its just because it takes so much time for acomplish ANYTHING, so you need to spend so much time in the game

GeoHolyhart
Nov 28, 2006, 01:43 PM
Ok so what was the REAL point of this topic now? I don't see the point of all these bashing and flame starting threads on a PSO/U forum. Threads like this are more suited for a general gaming place.

If you like WoW so much go to a WoW forum.

If you like FFXI so much go to a FFXI forum.

If you like PSU, just stay here.

lordzanon
Nov 28, 2006, 01:46 PM
ya , or ill bash you if your not a psu lover.

KirinDave
Nov 28, 2006, 01:48 PM
On 2006-11-28 10:26, FerrSV wrote:
When they say FFXI is "hardcore", they dont say it because its a hard game or wathever, its just because it takes so much time for acomplish ANYTHING, so you need to spend so much time in the game

Indeed. Only the "hardcore" gamer (http://youtube.com/watch?v=JBfvjjfUHBE) could really get anywhere in that game. And why would anyone want to anyways? The community was the very definition of elitist.

DarkAtvar
Nov 28, 2006, 02:26 PM
I get the feeling that most hardcore haters of FFXI either never got a job to 75 which meant you either sucked or had a bad LS to support you or got to 75 and were in a bad LS where tons of drama insued and LS leaders MADE you camp stupid ground HNMs. Point is the same as another poster, you needed to be in a good LS, FFXI definately is a group game.

Anyone who has quit and not seen how things are now with TAU really do not know how the game is now. XP spots are basicly instanced now with Runic portals. SE removed billions of RMT gil from the game and all servers have experienced drastic deflation. You loose less xp dieing. Raises give you more xp back. You can earn xp 2-3 times faster in TAU areas now. If you aren't lazy and have OP warps you can be anywhere in the game in a couple minutes since the warp taru in Whitegate(New Jueno) can warp you to your home country. Instanced assaults have alot of altrnative gear for the anti-endgame folks. Honestly the elitism is as bad as some would make you think. I personally love COP and all the endgame fun SEA brings but my LS does SEA regularly.

I have to laugh when people compare the economy of PSU to any MMO since the shop system coupled with the limited amount of things worht selling are so limited.

PSU so far for me has felt a bit shallow but I am sure that is because of the content. I had thought PSU might pull me off FFXI but from what I have experienced so far it will only be a casual game for me but I guess I am too "hardcore".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarkAtvar on 2006-11-28 11:29 ]</font>

ZiG
Nov 28, 2006, 03:38 PM
XP spots aren't instanced at all. Runic Portals are just convenient ways to get to the crowded xp spots.

Though I agree, ToAU did for FFXI what slicing did for bread.

Aphmau = the hottest NPC evar!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZiG on 2006-11-28 12:38 ]</font>

KirinDave
Nov 28, 2006, 04:22 PM
On 2006-11-28 11:26, DarkAtvar wrote:
I get the feeling that most hardcore haters of FFXI either never got a job to 75 which meant you either sucked or had a bad LS to support you or got to 75 and were in a bad LS where tons of drama insued and LS leaders MADE you camp stupid ground HNMs. Point is the same as another poster, you needed to be in a good LS, FFXI definately is a group game.

FFXI failed because soloing isn't an option. I quit FFXI right after CoP for one main reason: I have a life.

Now, this isn't an insult. It is a true statement. I work in software and need to pull alot of long nights and sometimes weekend. FFXI penalized this behavior. If you set up a static group or a linkshell pool, people would level past me when I had work. Suddenly I was forced to find PUGs, which invariably lead the crazy elitists with the occasional person in a similar situation.

There was also the INSANE money problem on Caitsith, my server. Insane. Things were so horribly inflated that I couldn't always afford food without a 2:1 grind/party ratio. That further shoved me behind the people who were willing to drop more time out.

I had some fun with FFXI, and I hear it's been made much better, but I shouldn't have to hit 75 to enjoy the game, man. That's just not fair. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif*And it's a bummer, because FFXI had some amazingly fun ideas (I miss Das Moggenhaus).

industrial
Nov 28, 2006, 04:39 PM
On 2006-11-28 08:45, lordzanon wrote:
LOL FFxi Harcore LOOOOOOOOOL

by hell it was not, if your gonna mention a mmo that was hardcore mention the 1st eq and daoc, those are 2 example of what hardcore gaming is all about.

Ffxi (other than its damn great story, which i had to read off a website (took days also)) is a watered down mmo (i wont compare ffxi to psu since psu is not a mmo)

linkshells: Pathetic any way you se it, if ffxi was your only mmo or your 1st, you got a gimp "guild" chat. older games let you join guilds, and have a full funtion chat, you visually see who was in your guild and even get an emblem for it rather than a stupid color. Also harcore mmos like daoc let you make your own house and guild house. So please try not to paint link shells as the big best way of comunication, many different linkshells had the same colors and its impossible to know whos from what till you check em.

ffxi"hardcore" battle system" LOOOOOL comeon doing skill chains is a breeze. theres no "skill" in timing your part of the sc 2 to 3 sec after the 1st part was unleashed.
Most of the times its you and 5 others ganged up vs 1 mob, you had aoe spells that were completely obsolete since aggroing another mob = dead(unless they are only t and down)
So all you did was 1 person pulls a mob, gang bang it, then pull 1 more mob and repeat for 2 to4 hours till your eyes bleed, and most the times your gonna pull the same mobs depending your lvl.

Big world: LOL chars travel slow as hell making everyithing look big, and travel was a wait to then run to wait some more. example. run all the way to get to the boat in the town in the dunes, only to wait 15 to 20 min for the damn thing to arrive, then 15 to 20 min to actually get to your location. Also FFxi is not a big world, its a sharded world. every new place you go = load screen. Wow (other than its instances) is an example of a big world as you can travel all the way from winterspring to sithilus with no loading parts.

Please do not say ffxi is hardcore, its just not, its more of a waiting game, you need to wait to do things. you wanna make something, you have to wait for the correct day say firesday to make an item with a fire crystal with little chance of blowing it up. thats all the game is wait wait wait.

Daoc was to hardcore for me, eq didnt draw my attention. Ffxi was so so but i cannot afford to wait to then actually play and not be able to spend time with my family due to the game (and yes soloing is important for an mmo for the times you dont have enought time to spend hours in it) wow was casual friendly , but then becomes like daoc and eq at endgame so that was a turn off.

Now im enjoin a ORPG online role playing game which is psu, that gives me time to have fun and then spend some wii time with my wife and daughter.

You completely missed the point about Linkshells. It don't freaking matter what your emblem looks like or how you decorate some cyber guildhall. THE GUILDMATES ARE WHAT MATTER. THE THINGS YOU DO WITH THAT GUILD ARE WHAT MATTER. No insult to you but FFXI was indeed, too hardcore for you.

Cross
Nov 28, 2006, 05:04 PM
On 2006-11-28 11:26, DarkAtvar wrote:
Point is the same as another poster, you needed to be in a good LS,

There's no such thing. The personality traits that allow somebody to play FFXI to the maximum level are the exact same traits that make somebody into a pathetic, insufferable cunt.
Anybody with a tolerable personality will be smart enough to move onto something more fun and skill-based than FFXI (like, say, working at McDonald's). The only people left by level 75 are these aforementioned insufferable cunts.

So you can play the game with cool people who will all quit long before reaching the end, or you can get in a "good" guild full of people with personalities so lacking that you have to Ignore every single one if you want to keep from having an aneurysm.

industrial
Nov 28, 2006, 05:35 PM
The personality traits that allow somebody to play FFXI and quit before maximum level are the exact same traits that make somebody into a pathetic, very sux self-centered loser.
Anybody with a hard working personality will be smart enough to get into a good LS and have lots of good times with friends. The only people left by level 75 are the motivated.

So you can play the game with smart players who all make it to the end and become good friends, or you can be a sux loser and cry about how much you sucked in FFXI on a PSU board and could never get accepted into a UBER guild because you lacked the motivation and was not tolerated in 2nd tier Family/UBER guilds because your personality was shit(and you were are very sux player).

Witchblade56
Nov 28, 2006, 06:13 PM
ROFL @ not being able to solo exp.

FFXI discussion has mostly been about the hate towards the game. There have been a few posters that have truly said something constructive and offer a good objective reason for their complaints.

Ya ok i have been blessed with a great LS to be in with greeat friends that both play here and FFXI. We dont try to compare games. That is similar to comparing apples and oranges. Both games cater to different playstyles and different audiences.

What i love about PSU? Offline story mode is fun and i get more info into the whys on portions of the online game. I love that i have more interaction on a different leve with my toons. You -CAN- button mash without penalty. You can actually circle your character around the mob and it -MUST- turn to face you [if youre not lagging] before it can hit you.

FFXI is a different animal altogether. It took my total three year play time to aqcuire the gear that i have and yes alot of hard work into getting some of the best rare/ex items you can get in FFXI. The party dynamics forced people to either be reasonable and learn to work well with others or you could spend your time getting flamed on the game forums for being an idiot. Yes it was harsh grinding for an hour to only obtain 1k exp if the party sucked. It's the genre; its the playstyle and more importantly it is about the people you meet along the way. It's alot about working together and making new friends and learning to be familiar with the people that you frequently grind with. Becoming an efficient group of people being able to dispatch an HNM with speed also takes alot of work and alot of willingness by your friends to be the best you can be.

Physic hit the nail on the head and he happens to be one of the people i frequently play with here on PSU.

It's sad to see so much malice put into denouncing a game on its faults. Every game has its faults; i could point out alot about PSU. The point is I wont. I bought the game because I'm a fan of the franchise, i was a longtime player of PSO from the DC [offline] => GC => Xbox PSO.

And now here i am in PSU and will be playing this for a long time and continuing to play FFXI as well. I'm a fan of the franchise and enjoy playing with the less cynical of the crowds http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Witchblade56 on 2006-11-28 15:16 ]</font>

KirinDave
Nov 28, 2006, 06:15 PM
On 2006-11-28 14:35, industrial wrote:
The personality traits that allow somebody to play FFXI and quit before maximum level are the exact same traits that make somebody into a pathetic, very sux self-centered loser.
Anybody with a hard working personality will be smart enough to get into a good LS and have lots of good times with friends. The only people left by level 75 are the motivated.

Or maybe we're very hard working but decided not to put that effort into a video game? I dunno about you, but after a 60-hour work week the last thing I want is another job, and that's what FFXI felt like.

So you can play the game with smart players who all make it to the end and become good friends, or you can be a sux loser and cry about how much you sucked in FFXI on a PSU board and could never get accepted into a UBER guild because you lacked the motivation and was not tolerated in 2nd tier Family/UBER guilds because your personality was shit(and you were are very sux player).

Thank you for that eloquent illustration of Cross's point.

Wheatpenny
Nov 28, 2006, 06:36 PM
On 2006-11-28 15:15, KirinDave wrote:

Or maybe we're very hard working but decided not to put that effort into a video game? I dunno about you, but after a 60-hour work week the last thing I want is another job, and that's what FFXI felt like.

Thank you Kirin Dave I totaly agree with you.Playing FFXI was like a 2nd full time job you don't get paid for.I noticed when I quit and my free time went up a lot.Hell I even have been writing a book in my free time.I myself work full time and value what little free time I get when I am not doing chores around the house so I agree with ya man nuff said and Kudos!

HiKeRI
Nov 28, 2006, 06:40 PM
On 2006-11-28 15:36, Wheatpenny wrote:

On 2006-11-28 15:15, KirinDave wrote:

Thank you Kirin Dave I totaly agree with you.Playing FFXI was like a 2nd full time job you don't get paid for.I noticed when I quit and my free time went up a lot.Hell I even have been writing a book in my free time.I myself work full time and value what little free time I get when I am not doing chores around the house so I agree with ya man nuff said and Kudos!

I got paid 3,320 $ by selling my characters along with all the money and gear i had http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Wheatpenny
Nov 28, 2006, 06:53 PM
Yeah I would have did that too but I couldnt' stomach the fact that some hack buying my account and walking around pretending to be me.

KirinDave
Nov 28, 2006, 06:55 PM
On 2006-11-28 15:40, HiKeRI wrote:
[quote]On 2006-11-28 15:36, Wheatpenny wrote:
I got paid 3,320 $ by selling my characters along with all the money and gear i had http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

So you're saying that FFXI could be a paying job? That's interesting. I wonder how much you made per hour? If you had less than 7 days /played on all those sold characters combined, then you'd be making just over $20/hour.

But realistically it's probably at least 14-20 days played. So you got paid minimum wage to play FFXI. Sorry, but I have more fun at my first job, and I made a hell of a lot more money, and I actually accomplished something in the real world.

HiKeRI
Nov 28, 2006, 07:02 PM
On 2006-11-28 15:55, KirinDave wrote:

On 2006-11-28 15:40, HiKeRI wrote:
[quote]On 2006-11-28 15:36, Wheatpenny wrote:

So you're saying that FFXI could be a paying job? That's interesting. I wonder how much you made per hour? If you had less than 7 days /played on all those sold characters combined, then you'd be making just over $20/hour.

But realistically it's probably at least 14-20 days played. So you got paid minimum wage to play FFXI. Sorry, but I have more fun at my first job, and I made a hell of a lot more money, and I actually accomplished something in the real world.

Lol, i don't know why you even said that but, i'll "explain" it to you..

I don't just play games for fun i actually have a job in and out, once i finish a game i sell the remains of it (I used alot of money to play it no? -Monthly Fee-) By playing it since its release i got what i lost and a lil bit of an extra by making a deal with a real life friend of mine, and as for my real life job, lol 670$ a day on a restaurant is like nothing a big deal for meh. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

DarkAtvar
Nov 28, 2006, 07:55 PM
Lol at the FFXI anger. I won't justify the stupid replys by directly replying to them.

Wheatpenny
Nov 28, 2006, 08:00 PM
On 2006-11-28 16:55, DarkAtvar wrote:
Lol at the FFXI anger. I won't justify the stupid replys by directly replying to them.

Why not? I need some entertainment here at work. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

lordzanon
Nov 28, 2006, 09:28 PM

Here is a perfect example of an elitist prick, so your saying i suck in life because i couldnt get a job to lvl 75?!? OK so im gonna run around telling all the ladies i hit lvl 75 in ffxi and get laid yay,.

Ill invite you to prove to me what is hardcore about ffxi, spending 5 to 10 hours of my life a day? thats the ONly hardcore triat ffxi has.
heres an example of hardcore, Ultima online, back in the day cool i had kick as stuff , went around pwning people taking their good that took em time to get, only to then get best at my game and lose my best gear. Thats hardcore, you can lose all your stuff, ffxi only made you lose 10% exp per death wow thats hardcore alright.
i see losing all your posessions that took you a damn time to lose very hardcore than to lose some stupid exp that you can easly get back.

so whats hardcore of ffxi, get to lvl 75 and spam crap to get a boss that spawns every few hours, is it hardcore to sit there like an idiot waiting for your chance.

sorry bro but if ffxi is your only mmo you sir know nothing of what hardcore is, and waiting is not hardcore.

Xbob
Nov 28, 2006, 09:36 PM
Hardcore is just a nice way of saying failure.

VelosofLight
Nov 28, 2006, 09:37 PM
Does anyone else think that if PSU had gone with the kind of world FFXI has with quests and NPCs everywhere but had kept the real-time combat, PMs, photon weapons, and all that, it would be totally kickass?

Parn
Nov 28, 2006, 09:38 PM
No. People would be fighting over monsters to kill. It'd be a complete disaster, and is precisely why no one has made an action-based MMORPG yet.

HiKeRI
Nov 28, 2006, 09:39 PM
I agree there Velos.

lordzanon
Nov 28, 2006, 09:40 PM
ill admit i do hate ffxi, by just trying to enjoy it started to affect my feal life, yes i had my own ls and enough people to do the lvl cap missions and rank up to lvl 8. we didnt shun dragoons and summoners we played as we felt like it doing job combos as we pleased and finding ways to even get good exp from em, we had dark/nins we had red/nin i can keep going on because all my ls mate hated all the darn pricks out there ruining the game, yes we did missions and quests.

but as we lvled more it took longer to organize stuff, and waiting to get to places, then finding a good camping spot. we went to areas NO one went to to get exp.
spending hours and then more time just to get the party right.
How it would affect my rl, well i do have a damn life, i got a family who depends on me and this damn addicting game (yes it was fun) ruined my plans oh crap someone came in late and waiting for him to get to the exp spot wasisted the little time i had to play, then i kept playing to get my exp after waisting so much damn time getting there, this contribued to having problems with my wife to the point i hated ffxi. it shows no forgiveness for the casual player, and the higher your lvl the more time you needed.

so plz dont give me any crap about how wonderous ffxi is, im aware it has a good blot but its game mechanics are flawed to hell, you cannot play at all if you have less than 3 hours of game time a day, unless you make a permanent static that meets at the same time, which still affects yoour real life since those hours you cannot plan anything.

Oh and im andamant of what i mean, ffxi has Nothing hardcore. Try proving it and ill just mention games that are older than ffxi and are way more advanced and gave the meaning of hardcore. (and yes wow is no hardcore game either)

now on to topic, ffxi is a different game, psu is super causal friendly which is why i will keep playing it even if the content is little, the game gives me all i ever wanted for a orpg and dispite of some flaws like the stupid ranking system i love the game to death.
i can play psu.
spend time with family.
work.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lordzanon on 2006-11-28 18:42 ]</font>

HiKeRI
Nov 28, 2006, 09:42 PM
On 2006-11-28 18:38, Parn wrote:
No. People would be fighting over monsters to kill. It'd be a complete disaster, and is precisely why no one has made an action-based MMORPG yet.

Having several places to hunt and different lobies would not hurt there.

VelosofLight
Nov 28, 2006, 09:44 PM
On 2006-11-28 18:39, HiKeRI wrote:
I agree there Velos.

Okay, some people agree. However:

That is the obvious issue. My suggestion would be to have huge sprawling areas with tons of monsters to fight, but when those areas were overcrowded, also have instanced 'pocket'-areas where your party can go and not have to worry about the others. Also, keep most of the monsters that drop the really good stuff in these pocket areas, to keep people from hogging entire zones for farming.

Xbob
Nov 28, 2006, 09:44 PM
On 2006-11-28 18:42, HiKeRI wrote:

You cannot begin to fathom the lag an action-based game like PSU in MMO form would cause. Imagine 400 people gathered in one place all doing their fancy photon arts launching monsters everywhere.

HiKeRI
Nov 28, 2006, 09:45 PM
On 2006-11-28 18:40, lordzanon wrote:
ill admit i do hate ffxi, by just trying to enjoy it started to affect my feal life, yes i had my own ls and enough people to do the lvl cap missions and rank up to lvl 8. we didnt shun dragoons and summoners we played as we felt like it doing job combos as we pleased and finding ways to even get good exp from em, we had dark/nins we had red/nin i can keep going on because all my ls mate hated all the darn pricks out there ruining the game, yes we did missions and quests.

but as we lvled more it took longer to organize stuff, and waiting to get to places, then finding a good camping spot. we went to areas NO one went to to get exp.
How it would affect my rl, well i do have a damn life, i got a family who depends on me and this damn addicting game (yes it was fun) ruined my plans oh crap someone came in late and waiting for him to get to the exp spot wasisted the little time i had to play, then i kept playing to get my exp after waisting so much damn time getting there, this contribued to having problems with my wife to the point i hated ffxi. it shows no forgiveness for the casual player, and the higher your lvl the more time you needed.

so plz dont give me any crap about how wonderous ffxi is, im aware it has a good blot but its game mechanics are flawed to hell, you cannot play at all if you have less than 3 hours of game time a day, unless you make a permanent static that meets at the same time, which still affects yoour real life since those hours you cannot plan anything.

Oh and im andamant of what i mean, ffxi has Nothing hardcore. Try proving it and ill just mention games that are older than ffxi and are way more advanced and gave the meaning of hardcore. (and yes wow is no hardcore game either)

now on to topic, ffxi is a different game, psu is super causal friendly which is why i will keep playing it even if the content is little, the game gives me all i ever wanted for a orpg and dispite of some flaws like the stupid ranking system i love the game to death.
i can play psu.
spend time with family.
work.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lordzanon on 2006-11-28 18:42 ]</font>

If you hate it so much, then don't waste your breath typing about it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif [Especially when its a long paragraph]

Parn
Nov 28, 2006, 09:46 PM
You can't have different lobbies. Having different lobbies would mean an instanced block system like the one we already have. And having several places to hunt won't solve the problem either. It didn't solve it for Final Fantasy XI, Ragnarok Online, World of Warcraft, or any of the other numerous MMORPGs that have slower combat systems as it is, and yet can't keep up with the volume of players.

Phantasy Star Universe and Phantasy Star Online work well because they are completely instanced. If it was one gigantic, persistant world, you wouldn't be able to have mass-slaying of monsters because there wouldn't be enough to go around. The gameplay would cease to be what we're playing this game for to begin with.

HiKeRI
Nov 28, 2006, 09:47 PM
On 2006-11-28 18:44, Xbob wrote:

On 2006-11-28 18:42, HiKeRI wrote:

You cannot begin to fathom the lag an action-based game like PSU in MMO form would cause. Imagine 400 people gathered in one place all doing their fancy photon arts launching monsters everywhere.

Thats why there will be dif. blocks and when i said lobies i meant Universes.

VelosofLight
Nov 28, 2006, 09:48 PM
Well, I meant that it'd be better if the instanced blocks were more of options and not mandatory, and that I really liked the whole thing about traveling the world on Chocobo instead of instantly poofing around effortlessly. Don't get me wrong, the poofing is nice later in the game, but I like to actually have to put out some effort to see the world instead of it pretty much taking all of 3 minutes.

HiKeRI
Nov 28, 2006, 09:49 PM
On 2006-11-28 18:46, Parn wrote:
You can't have different lobbies. Having different lobbies would mean an instanced block system like the one we already have. And having several places to hunt won't solve the problem either. It didn't solve it for Final Fantasy XI, Ragnarok Online, World of Warcraft, or any of the other numerous MMORPGs that have slower combat systems as it is, and yet can't keep up with the volume of players.

Phantasy Star Universe and Phantasy Star Online work well because they are completely instanced. If it was one gigantic, persistant world, you wouldn't be able to have mass-slaying of monsters because there wouldn't be enough to go around. The gameplay would cease to be what we're playing this game for to begin with.

On FFXI, actually the main problem was that everyone followed the same path everyone did from Valk. Dunes to Sky, no one had originallity on training spots.

lordzanon
Nov 28, 2006, 09:49 PM
On 2006-11-28 18:45, HiKeRI wrote:

i can play psu.
spend time with family.
work.

If you hate it so much, then don't waste your breath typing about it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif [Especially when its a long paragraph]

aye good point, seems my anger to the game got the best of me, never in my life i ever hated somthing the way i hate that game.

HiKeRI
Nov 28, 2006, 09:51 PM
On 2006-11-28 18:49, lordzanon wrote:

On 2006-11-28 18:45, HiKeRI wrote:

i can play psu.
spend time with family.
work.

aye good point, seems my anger to the game got the best of me, never in my life i ever hated somthing the way i hate that game.

I understand there my friend, FFXI did got me unto frustation for sure.. atleast once or twice.

Parn
Nov 28, 2006, 09:53 PM
On 2006-11-28 18:49, HiKeRI wrote:
On FFXI, actually the main problem was that everyone followed the same path everyone did from Valk. Dunes to Sky, no one had originallity on training spots.
And it's no different on Phantasy Star Universe, either. Look at how many people continue to grind De Ragan despite having other options. But people aren't interested in other options, and they're all perfectly willing to congregate into "The Leveling Spot" even when it's overcrowded. Every MMORPG released suffers from this problem, no matter how many areas are created.

Which is again, why a large persistant world with Phantasy Star Universe's combat would never work. You'd kill a monster, and then proceed to stand around waiting for another to spawn because there's thirty other guys just like you slaying the same monsters. That doesn't sound very fun to me.

HiKeRI
Nov 28, 2006, 09:56 PM
Yeah, which no one had originallity http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif and don't explore the game other than rush to leveling.

-Ryuki-
Nov 28, 2006, 11:05 PM
I still thought Valkurm was awesome >.>

VelosofLight
Nov 28, 2006, 11:06 PM
I had nightmares about the Promyvion...

industrial
Nov 29, 2006, 12:19 AM
On 2006-11-28 18:28, lordzanon wrote:

Here is a perfect example of an elitist prick, so your saying i suck in life because i couldnt get a job to lvl 75?!? OK so im gonna run around telling all the ladies i hit lvl 75 in ffxi and get laid yay,.

Ill invite you to prove to me what is hardcore about ffxi, spending 5 to 10 hours of my life a day? thats the ONly hardcore triat ffxi has.
heres an example of hardcore, Ultima online, back in the day cool i had kick as stuff , went around pwning people taking their good that took em time to get, only to then get best at my game and lose my best gear. Thats hardcore, you can lose all your stuff, ffxi only made you lose 10% exp per death wow thats hardcore alright.
i see losing all your posessions that took you a damn time to lose very hardcore than to lose some stupid exp that you can easly get back.

so whats hardcore of ffxi, get to lvl 75 and spam crap to get a boss that spawns every few hours, is it hardcore to sit there like an idiot waiting for your chance.

sorry bro but if ffxi is your only mmo you sir know nothing of what hardcore is, and waiting is not hardcore.

It was just a parody of cross's post. Don't you think if someone is calling people "pathetic, insufferable cunt(s)" they might be one too? I figured it was pretty clear it was just a satire or cross's post...thus the very similar wording.

Don't use the "get a life" arguement. Some people like to play games, some people like to do drugs, some people are just family men/women. That arguement will countinue to be used by people that "suck" in games till the end of time as a cheap cop-out.

Getting the very best equipment in FFXI took alot of commitment. Example: To get the "best" body armor in the game, you had to get 18+ of your friends and farm 10 objects from mildly hard mobs. You use those to pop "Gods" which drop more objects, there are 5 total(iirc), you take those items and use it to pop the "mega-god" which is like fighting all 5 other gods in quick succesion while fighting this said "mega-god". Then there is a chance you might get that body armor to drop. Your chance of getting it probably 1/10 if it drops and if your allowed to even roll for it. Once you get yours you repeat this epic process(roughly 5-6 hours to get intial pops, 4 hours to beat all the small gods, 2 hours to beat the mega-god) for everyone in your guild that wants one. That is "hardcore" and the times above are assuming you know exactly what to do. But the fun part was when content is first released(duh?) Beating many of the bosses took alot of effort for those that blazed the trails and did it first. Sure it's easy 6 months later after everyone knows what to do but with SE releasing new bosses every 6 months or so, those on the cutting edge got to participate in very tough battles involving tons of coodination and stratagy. That was hardcore. Beating Maat for the first time was hardcore. So many things about that game took alot of preperation and thought. That is why I labeled it "hardcore". I played EQ and diablo too...I'd say FFXI is close to EQ in the amount of effort you have to put in. The raids in FFXI are smaller, but harder at the same time. You can't win by just throwing wave after wave of people at the high end mobs like EQ gods.

Finally, I find it hard to believe that people feel so strongly about this game(ffxi) enough to voice their neverending hate for it in a post comparing ecomonics. I had tons of great memories and I find it insulting people will throw out blanket judgements about everyone that enjoyed FFXI when they themselves probably didn't even come close to playing it fully. I don't know why I'm bothering to argue with you guys, other than it's mildly entertaining.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: industrial on 2006-11-28 21:26 ]</font>

industrial
Nov 29, 2006, 12:25 AM
double post

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: industrial on 2006-11-28 21:26 ]</font>

Buggy
Nov 29, 2006, 01:49 AM
lol so I just breezed thru all this and I have to say, I sit here and seek on ffxi while I play PSU, theres the answer to everything