PDA

View Full Version : Level Caps - Do they work?

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 27, 2006, 06:27 PM
I've been giving the issue of level caps in online PSU some thought, and it's just occurred to me that perhaps they don't work after all.

The purpose of a level cap in a game such as this is to hold back and restrict character growth and to stop people from getting too far ahead too soon - at the moment the level cap is 50, so there are no people of a level higher than 50 in the game - or are there?

Having reached level 100 offline, I have noticed that the game still keeps track of how much total experience I have accumulated, but I won't gain a level because there is no total experience figure any higher that will result in a level up, so my TNL is reported as 0 and I don't level...

If SEGA are using a similar system for the online level caps, folks should still be able to increase their total experience even after reaching the level cap - although it won't matter how much time they put into it they won't level up as long as the level cap remains the same.

Once the level cap is raised in the future, would their level then be automatically adjusted to reflect the level they should be based on their total experience points gained to far?

If this is true, I can imagine some of the more dedicated players out there who hit lv50 very quickly will suddenly go 'ping! level 60' the moment they login to the game after the level cap has been raised http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Stixx
Nov 27, 2006, 06:30 PM
I seriously doubt this will happen because since I've hit level 50, my exp total hasn't gone up by a single point. It's at 700-odd thousand exp...

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 27, 2006, 06:35 PM
On 2006-11-27 15:30, Stixx wrote:
I seriously doubt this will happen because since I've hit level 50, my exp total hasn't gone up by a single point. It's at 700-odd thousand exp...

Oh so they are locking total exp - kinda makes sense tho otherwise there would be tons of folks running around at the new level cap moments after it's been adjusted http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif