PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard question

KarlKahn
Nov 28, 2006, 07:32 PM
How does the PS2 Keyboard work? Is there an adapter like there was for the GC? I've seen "USB Adapters" on Ebay for PS2, but I'm not sure if that's what I need. I have a keyboard, and I'd like to be able to just get an adapter for it, so some help would be appreciated.

Guitarsmasher
Nov 28, 2006, 08:59 PM
ok, well first, do you have the actual keyboard for ps2? cause it sounds like you dont even though youre calling it the "ps2 keyboard" since youre looking for ps2 adaptors on ebay. but anyways, theres an actual ps2 keyboard tht can be picked up at most game stores (try gamestop if theres one nearby). itll be only $10. it plugs into the usb port on your ps2. but, you only need to get one if any of your computer keyboards dont have a usb plug on it. if they ahve one, then you can just use tht keyboard instead of buying a ps2 keyboard. im not sure how much adaptors are going for on ebay, so if theyre way over $10, i suggest just getting the ps2 keyboard.

o yea, some things you should know about the ps2 keyboard before you get it, and if you get it.........

1. the whole keyboard itself is a little under 3/4 the size of a normal desktop computer keyboard, therefore meaning that some keys will be small than the regular sized ones. (the letter keys are the same size, keys like caps lock and space bar are a little bit smaller than regular)

2. if you do get it, just to let you know for teh future, if you do use caps lock on the ps2 keyboard, you gotta hold the shift button while pressing the caps lock button to either turn caps lock on or off. if you dont hold the shift button, youll be confused beyond belief why it wont work.

3. you might have to get used to typing on it since it a little bit smaller than a regular keyboard, and because the keys arent raised like a desktop computer keyboard, they are lowered like a laptop, resulting in slippy keyzz.

overall, id rather have a usb adaptor for a normal sized keyboard, and use tht on my ps2. but for only $10, the ps2 keyboard isnt tht bad at all. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

KarlKahn
Nov 28, 2006, 09:03 PM
So I can use a normal keyboard and get a USB adaptor correct?

Xbob
Nov 28, 2006, 09:07 PM
On 2006-11-28 18:03, KarlKahn wrote:
So I can use a normal keyboard and get a USB adaptor correct?

Correctamoondoh.

Guitarsmasher
Nov 28, 2006, 09:10 PM
yes, im almost 100% positive you can. (cant always be 100% sure on everything!) since a ps2 keyboard and a regular keyboard are the exact same thing, cept for the plugs and the size, i dont see any reason why it wouldnt. but anyways, goodluck! see you on PSU

Kura_Kai
Nov 28, 2006, 09:11 PM
A normal keyboard uses a PS/2 connection, if your keyboard uses this and you know it does since the connector you plug into the computer for it is round and not rectangular then you need a PS/2 to USB adapter. If your keyboard uses a USB plug instead, rectangular connector that plugs into the computer, then you don't need one. If you want to check turn your case around and follow the cord coming from your keyboard, also if it doesn't have one then that means it is USB but won't work because it isn't compatible that much, some might be but it isn't worth trying to figure out since it becomes a hassal of setting it up later on.