PDA

View Full Version : I think I may have figured it out..

EphekZ
Nov 28, 2006, 08:16 PM
I think I may have figured out why people say their "memory" of PSO was way better. I think it's becuase when we all picked up PSO it was a brand new thing. We had nothing to compare it too. We had nothing to get bored of so to speak. So I think if people consider it as a brand new game, not a sequel we wouldn't have all these rants about PSO>PSU. or any schematics of PSO that are supposadly better than PSU.

there's my two cents.

EphekZ
Nov 28, 2006, 08:17 PM
On 2006-11-28 17:17, VelosofLight wrote:
Well yeah, but also when PSO was released, you could pretty much play through the whole game. Then, tidbits were added on, but mostly, you had the game and that was that. Now we're just kind of annoyed 'cause we payed for a game and only have pieces of it.

Yeah, that's true too.

VelosofLight
Nov 28, 2006, 08:17 PM
Well yeah, but also when PSO was released, you could pretty much play through the whole game. Then, tidbits were added on, but mostly, you had the game and that was that. Now we're just kind of annoyed 'cause we payed for a game and only have pieces of it.

Bleemo
Nov 28, 2006, 08:19 PM
People loved PSO because the only other online RPG's we had upon release were Diablo II, Ultima Online, and Everquest.

VelosofLight
Nov 28, 2006, 08:21 PM
Eh, true that, Bleemo. I'm a bit dissappointed with games nowadays, 'cause I just somehow expect the new game to surpass every game I've ever played in every way. For example, better graphics than RFO, better gameplay than PSO, better quests and community than FFXI, more action-packed than Gunz Online? Heh, it's impossible to get all that nowadays.

industrial
Nov 28, 2006, 08:21 PM
Yeah when PSO first came out it was magical because there was really nothing like it. Hacks killed it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

AlphaMinotaux
Nov 28, 2006, 08:22 PM
On 2006-11-28 17:19, Bleemo wrote:
People loved PSO because the only other online RPG's we had upon release were Diablo II, Ultima Online, and Everquest.

QFT

KiteWolfwood
Nov 28, 2006, 08:22 PM
nos·tal·gi·a
n.
1. A bittersweet longing for things, persons, or situations of the past.
2. The condition of being homesick; homesickness.

Kie
Nov 28, 2006, 08:27 PM
mabey were only getting all these pso>psu stuf b/c sega scamed us >:|

ZiG
Nov 28, 2006, 08:33 PM
On 2006-11-28 17:27, Kie wrote:

GTFO, they didn't scam anyone. Jesus, you guys are so impatient.

peenk
Nov 28, 2006, 08:39 PM
On 2006-11-28 17:33, ZiG wrote:

LoL
Me: Hi SEGA can I buy the PSU for $5 and give you the rest of the money after the updates?
SEGA: GTFO
Me: Jesus, you guys are so impatient.

VelosofLight
Nov 28, 2006, 08:43 PM
On 2006-11-28 17:39, peenk wrote:

LoL
Me: Hi SEGA can I buy the PSU for $5 and give you the rest of the money after the updates?

He really does have a point. This is part of why I think it's okay to torrent PSU and pay the monthly fee. You're pretty much paying them $5 for each update.

AeraLure
Nov 28, 2006, 08:48 PM
Its not nostalgia or the games we had to compare it to. Not for me anyway. Its simply that PSO was a better game in many aspects when compared both to its contemporaries as well as many current games. Remains one of my favorite games. It comes up in comparison topics because PSU is a sequel and spiritual successor to PSO. The two will always be compared.

Beyond saying that though I dont feel like going down this comparison road again. I have my opinions and we all do. I just disgree with Bleemo, the OP and Kite. No, its not any of those things. PSO was simply a class A game. Period. Imho.

PSU is fun. Just in different ways.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AeraLure on 2006-11-28 17:51 ]</font>

Ryoki
Nov 28, 2006, 09:04 PM
On 2006-11-28 17:21, industrial wrote:
Yeah when PSO first came out it was magical because there was really nothing like it. Hacks killed it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Hacks never killed it for me. OFFLINE only with my friends and wielding the only Lavis Cannon in town=Ownage.

________
Chrysler Powertech Engine History (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_PowerTech_engine)

VelosofLight
Nov 28, 2006, 09:05 PM
I gave my pal a 1308 Angel Wings for his birthday. That went over well. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

ZiG
Nov 28, 2006, 09:06 PM
If you had to pay for the updates, THEN I would agree you were scammed, but you don't. So chill.

ChrisKo
Nov 28, 2006, 09:07 PM
Bleemo speakith:

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif I miss Diablo II before the days of +99999999 to everything you can imagine charms... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Zeig123
Nov 28, 2006, 09:09 PM
On 2006-11-28 18:05, VelosofLight wrote:
I gave my pal a 1308 Angel Wings for his birthday. That went over well. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

i would have killed someone.....

Kie
Nov 28, 2006, 09:22 PM
On 2006-11-28 17:43, VelosofLight wrote:

On 2006-11-28 17:39, peenk wrote:

LoL

He really does have a point. This is part of why I think it's okay to torrent PSU and pay the monthly fee. You're pretty much paying them $5 for each update.

if I knew the game was going to be like this I might have just been tempted to torrent the game. >:| if I could understand JP I would be long gone off the american servers. lol it also seems to me like sega is telling you to torrent the game sence you dont need an acces key to get an account XD

happy_cricket
Nov 28, 2006, 09:32 PM
I don't recall Sega promising me the complete game with all possible content the day of purchase. If they had, I would feel "scamed". As it is, I got and get what I am paying for. The whole victim mentality just amazes me. We could probably get our own show on Oprah.

VelosofLight
Nov 28, 2006, 09:34 PM
Do you think Oprah plays PSU? I bet she'd be really annoying to party with...

Xbob
Nov 28, 2006, 09:34 PM
People forget there's a full-fledged story mode in the game as well as Extra Mode that has plenty of content to tide you over for a while. The Story Mode I actually find a lot of fun. It's not PSO, stop thinking the Story Mode sucks if you haven't tried it.

Oh, and

You aren't meant to live on the game.

xususp
Nov 28, 2006, 09:38 PM
On 2006-11-28 18:32, happy_cricket wrote:
I don't recall Sega promising me the complete game with all possible content the day of purchase. If they had, I would feel "scamed". As it is, I got and get what I am paying for. The whole victim mentality just amazes me. We could probably get our own show on Oprah.

Did you read what you just posted?
Sounds like this:
This publisher did not promise to release the complete book but I will pay the full price but they will give me the chapters 3-10 in few months time while I start paying the monthly fee.

At least answer me whats the point of releasing an incomplete game?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: xususp on 2006-11-28 18:39 ]</font>

Guitarsmasher
Nov 28, 2006, 09:39 PM
On 2006-11-28 17:16, darkgunner wrote:
I think I may have figured out why people say their "memory" of PSO was way better. I think it's becuase when we all picked up PSO it was a brand new thing. We had nothing to compare it too. We had nothing to get bored of so to speak. So I think if people consider it as a brand new game, not a sequel we wouldn't have all these rants about PSO>PSU. or any schematics of PSO that are supposadly better than PSU.

there's my two cents.

yea, i thought it was this too. PSO was the first PS game ive ever played when it came out, in my first 5 min of playin the game, i actually ended up thinking it was the worst game ive ever played in my life.........cuz boomas in forest 1 were pwning my @$$ XD. but then......i found......a HANDGUN! *hallelujah!!* and i wiped those boomas off the face of Ragol. and from then to now i thought PSO was the best game ever created. about 700+ hours on my characters altogether OFFLINE, explains how much i love teh game http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Agne
Nov 28, 2006, 09:51 PM
once again i am here i love this place http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif anyways you didn't get scammed here's the deal, with extra "enters" for effect mwahahaha
*you paid for a game: off line story game and extra mode. that is the game you bought.... really it is.... no lie.
*you pay to play the online game in $10 monthly increments. so far i've paid i believe $10 and i've gotten 3 of the lvls and several missions that ppl payed $80's for. online is an added bonus by sega regardless of the fact that it's expected from them.

in a day and age that ppl throw together an extra online game to what should have been a purely off line game this is one of the better ones. do i really need to bring up gears of war and it's subpar multiplayer throw-in. Maybe ppl are just jaded or maybe they forgot about the years of 1970 thru 1995

xususp
Nov 28, 2006, 10:03 PM
On 2006-11-28 18:51, Agne wrote:
years of 1970 thru 1995

And some are stuck back in 1970-1995.
Generally you'd want things to get better not worse ala psu and pso.

ZiG
Nov 28, 2006, 10:22 PM
xususp, as Xbob pointed out, PSU has a full offline mode. So in essence, you actually bought a game and a half. Give it up.

xususp
Nov 28, 2006, 10:31 PM
On 2006-11-28 19:22, ZiG wrote:
xususp, as Xbob pointed out, PSU has a full offline mode. So in essence, you actually bought a game and a half. Give it up.

In essence, you'd think you buy a game, which is a sequel to Phantasy Star Online, in order to play it, yeap, online.

Xbob
Nov 28, 2006, 11:11 PM
On 2006-11-28 19:31, xususp wrote:

On 2006-11-28 19:22, ZiG wrote:

In essence, you'd think you buy a game, which is a sequel to Phantasy Star Online, in order to play it, yeap, online.

It was never quoted by anyone at Sega as being the sequel to PSO. Phantasy Star doesn't revolve around just PSO, it was simply the most successful. They wanted to try to bring back some of the originals' essence.

Sinue_v2
Nov 29, 2006, 02:35 AM
PSO was simply a class A game. Period. Imho.

Then obviously you:

A. Joined up with Ep I & II, having never played v.1.

B. Don't know what makes a good game.

PSO was fun, yes, but it was horridly broken and inbalanced in it's first two incarnations for the Dreamcast. Saying it wasn't is just seeing the past through rose colored glasses.

If you had to pay for the updates, THEN I would agree you were scammed, but you don't.

Right... and the fee is like, what, 2 bucks more than Ep I & II? You started out with far more content that PSO had - and they're unlocking more and more on a regular, and scheduled, basis. Is that really more of a ripoff than PSO Ep I & II which gave you a new quest maybe once every 3-8 months - and then, chances are you only got a recycled rehash of a Dreamcast quest.

Not to mention that a lot of PSO's rare weapons were obtainable only through online quests - which were locked until Sega felt good and ready to release them. Hell, even most of Challenge Mode and battle mode was locked up for many a month after Ep I & II's release. And you people are just NOW complaining about locked content? They never did bother to even release the Parasitic Gene Flow - and a lot of cool rare weapons were available shortly after launch simply because of dupers.

Hindsight is apperantly not 20/20 around here.

I don't recall Sega promising me the complete game with all possible content the day of purchase. If they had, I would feel "scamed".

Not to mention that Sonic Team stated explicitly that content would be unlocked online over time - and we had, what a month or two to observe the Japanese launch of the game and see that they had locked content.

Don't blame Sega because you didn't know what the fuck you were purchasing.

This publisher did not promise to release the complete book but I will pay the full price but they will give me the chapters 3-10 in few months time while I start paying the monthly fee.

Yes, well if you know before hand that is how the book company operates - and there is of course, PLENTY of material to read on the way the company plans to be distributing their books, then you have no room to feel victimised when the company simply follows through on what they promised.

As for why... it's simple. Where the hell is Sonic Team going to store the data needed for content downloads? Up your ass? The PS2 has no HDD... so the only way to keep fresh content comming out at a steady pace is to put it all on the disk before hand and lock it away.

And some are stuck back in 1970-1995.
Generally you'd want things to get better not worse ala psu and pso.

Well apperantly you cannot even remember back to 2001-2005, because PSU has made improvements in nearly all aspects of the game. Maybe you should actually go back and PLAY PSO. I had kinda thought the targeting scheme for techniques was screwed up in PSU - till I played PSO again and had my FOnewearl turn a complete 180 digree turn while casting Foie. She targeted and enemy that COMPLETELY BEHIND HER AUTOMATICALLY. That's not even playing... that's juat "Push A, You Win" - no wonder people bashed PSO for being way too easy.

And that's just one detail... I mean... after using the strafe button on PSU, it's hard to go back to PSO's old retreat and do an about face. Not to mention the extrememly slow walk they do before breaking out into a jog. Being able to actually MOVE out of danger quickly is a godsend. And do I really have to bring up the fact you had to open up your menus to run past a group of enemies... because of course, you target automatically - which makes you walk and makes you an easy target for mines or enemy projectiles. Of course, the menus also blocked off part of the screen.

There's so many little annoyances and bullshit workarounds we as players have learned to deal with and incorperate that you didn't even really notice them at the time. Play PSU and go back to PSO for awhile... and they will be all too apperant.

Superguppie
Nov 29, 2006, 03:21 AM
PSO (at least the noline bit) was good enough to keep me playing for over two years, and I only left because of the cheating/hacking problems. Ask me after two years of PSU which is best.

On the topic of the alleged rip-off, it is customary in the world of online games to pay a monthly fee for server upkeep and updates. Some companies give you the client for free, other companies make you pay for it. It is a nice touch that ST included offline content with the client. I don't feel a victim at all.

Collar
Nov 29, 2006, 06:15 AM
On 2006-11-28 17:21, VelosofLight wrote:
Eh, true that, Bleemo. I'm a bit dissappointed with games nowadays, 'cause I just somehow expect the new game to surpass every game I've ever played in every way. For example, better graphics than RFO, better gameplay than PSO, better quests and community than FFXI, more action-packed than Gunz Online? Heh, it's impossible to get all that nowadays.

"Yey. Finally, someone other than me knows about Gunz Online. Ugh, just seems like the beta is taking forever.

Ether
Nov 29, 2006, 06:53 AM
On 2006-11-28 18:34, Xbob wrote:
You aren't meant to live on the game.
We're paying a monthly fee for the game. If I'm paying for it everyday, why shouldnt I play every day? If this was Guild Wars you would have a point

On 2006-11-28 20:11, Xbob wrote:
It was never quoted by anyone at Sega as being the sequel to PSO
The very first E3 trailer contained the words "PSO-2"

On 2006-11-28 23:35, Sinue_v2 wrote:
PSO was fun, yes, but it was horridly broken and inbalanced in it's first two incarnations for the Dreamcast
Version 1 was fine for what it was, casts and forces werent broken til version 2

On 2006-11-28 23:35, Sinue_v2 wrote:
most of Challenge Mode and battle mode was locked up for many a month after Ep I & II's release. And you people are just NOW complaining about locked content?
I was complaining about challenge mode being locked! I never even got to play episode 2 challenge mode because I'd quit by the time they released it. If I'd played BB at release, I'm sure I'd have been complaining about the locked content BS they pulled there too. No one has ever liked having content locked off, but no version of PSO locked off this much compared to how little was available

I don't recall Sega promising me the complete game with all possible content the day of purchase

Thats such a great quote I'm going to sig it. But lets see, what did they promise?

http://www.pso-world.com/psu.php

* Three enormous planets to explore. A gigantic overworld and more than 20 enormous dungeons are featured.
* All-new enemies to fight. Along with a brand-new roster of standard opponents, there are more than 15 major bosses to challenge.
* Player-controlled vehicles Players no longer need to travel everywhere by foot, adding a new dimension to exploration.

No matter how you count the dungeons, there aren't 20. That's counting ever area, every seed reskin, and all 3 relics sites seperately. Its still not 20. And even less online.

There are 4 major bosses. 9 if you count reskins. Thats a far cry from 15, and of course, most are locked on the US version.

PSU promised too much and delivered less than anyone could have imagined

Agne
Nov 29, 2006, 07:04 AM
sinue v2 put it best and that's how it should be left, so i'll leave it that way:)

Diablohead
Nov 29, 2006, 07:16 AM
anyone who expected psu to be bigger then wow and ffxi were not thinking straight.

Mystil
Nov 29, 2006, 07:40 AM
PSU recreated the feeling I got when I played PSODC 5 years ago. End of story.

MORB
Nov 29, 2006, 07:54 AM
You need some potent nostalgia-tinted glasses to see the original PSO in any positive light. The first iteration of PSO was nothing but unadulterated garbage:

- 4 whole excruciatingly long and boring levels
- the most simplistic and dumb AI you can imagine on most of the mobs
- no proper system to trade items between players besides dropping them on the ground and hoping that you're not going to end up with a saber, or one meseta (and that no third party would rush in to pick it up during the transaction)
- cooperative game while at the same time encouraging people to be assholes because they could loot your weapon and your money if you died
- money worth absolutely nothing (not much in the way of a player economy, and everything you needed to buy from NPCs was dirt cheap compared to the money you'd earn, and you could have no more than 200k in total anyway, half of which you were pretty much guaranteed to loose whenever you died)
- No way to ignore players
- No way to kick players from parties

And that on top of the retarded implementation of the game that allowed extensive cheating.

Oh, and I forgot communication with Sega/Sonic Team: a single, one way communication channel consisting of an half-assed website that was updated once in a blue moon.

What it had going for it: quick and easy to pick up, real-time combat system (as opposed to the auto-attack stuff in other games).
I'm not even sure I'd have played it at all if I had already played another online RPG before it.

Ruby-chan
Nov 29, 2006, 08:13 AM
On 2006-11-28 17:16, darkgunner wrote:

there's my two cents.

Well for one, PSO when we first played it was free to play online, the servers where chock full of players, and everyone was discovering everything new. Then the fees came and the players went away. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

On 2006-11-29 04:54, MORB wrote:
Oh, and I forgot communication with Sega/Sonic Team: a single, one way communication channel consisting of an half-assed website that was updated once in a blue moon.

That's been a constant for six years now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ruby-chan on 2006-11-29 05:15 ]</font>

Felix-DeSouza
Nov 29, 2006, 08:19 AM
well all i can say if you dont like the game why play it......

MORB
Nov 29, 2006, 08:38 AM
On 2006-11-29 05:13, Ruby-chan wrote
That's been a constant for six years now.

It was even worse than it is now at the beginning. There was no one like Clumsyorchid to turn to in order to obtain any info.

There was never any official statement about what they were planning to do in the future, except for bits and stuff gathered from Japanese sources.

There were no official forums.

Nowadays, for most games (especially online games) you have a way or another to directly interact with the developers (dev blogs, dev participation in forums, etc.)

In Sonic Team's backwards world, we get a forum and a community relation guy, and that's it.

lordzanon
Nov 29, 2006, 09:10 AM
bah your all forgetting what made pso great, when it 1st came out dispite of all the flaws it had mentioned in the above posts, there were still rare items that did drop. Those started the addiction of having em all and finding new rares. it got better as pso grew (but bad due to hackers)

psu gives you no rares from the getgo, they did promise tons of things that are not in game yet. many people atleast expected to find atleast 1 rare wep or armor, all we got are just the normal weps...
only good thing for me is im super casual, have game since it came out and im only lvl 20 so the content for me is enough. Just not enough for those who stick 10+ hours

Ryudo
Nov 29, 2006, 09:56 AM
The creator asked us, begged us, TOLD us to go play story mode first and experience that before going online

Retards: *go online straight away* OMG SCAM!!!!11!!111 I KEEL YUO SEGA WITH My LeEt NaRuToSePhIrOtHsKiLllZ!!!1

Strider_M
Nov 29, 2006, 10:31 AM
On 2006-11-29 06:56, Ryudo wrote:
The creator asked us, begged us, TOLD us to go play story mode first and experience that before going online

Retards: *go online straight away* OMG SCAM!!!!11!!111 I KEEL YUO SEGA WITH My LeEt NaRuToSePhIrOtHsKiLllZ!!!1

This is why the game isn't called PSO Episode V or whatever... You can play the whole game on Story mode. And Then there's Online mode... But everyone knows this.

Ruby-chan
Nov 29, 2006, 10:38 AM
The story mode hasn't been getting the greatest of reviews. Let's not hold it up as a virtue now. I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say "It's no PSIV." I'm 95% sure that will be accurate.

I also contest that the only reason we have a forum now is it's a general forum for everything sega. Clumsy is the mod for a whole slew of other games on the forums. Not a whole lot of communication from devs to players goes on on those forums either. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif I will admit it's slightly better than it was before. Slightly.

Zarbolord
Nov 29, 2006, 10:40 AM
I suppoe we're not expectezd to play this fast http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif SEGA must have huge pressure on themselves :#

Ruby-chan
Nov 29, 2006, 10:42 AM
Come to think of it. Considering their region of the world is infamous for people /dying from exhaustion/ form playing video games, where FFXI has a warning everytime you start the game telling you to not forget your friends and family exisit and to please for the love of Budda eat something and sleep occasionally, it's hard to imagine they didn't expect people to play through it fast. ;p

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ruby-chan on 2006-11-29 07:43 ]</font>

AndrewLD16
Nov 29, 2006, 10:46 AM

No. You GTFO. It's not that we are impatient, it's the FACT that we bought a game which has content on it that we should have been able to play since the first day we got it, and Sega is trying to release it as "new" content. When in all reality, it's not new.

But hey, whatever. I didn't max my character yet, or all the job levels yet anyway. So I still have stuff to do.

Blu_Swade
Nov 29, 2006, 10:48 AM
I don't see why everyone's so disapointed, though, I'll give I was a bit disapointed in a few changes, but I think that they fixed more than they broke. I jus' wish that we got to use each vehicle more than once in story, and maybe if we could use them in extra at all... they made it sound like you'd get to use em' often... also the reskinned bosses make me sad... don't recolor bosses, and if you do, change their behavior... don't just give them an extra attack, reskinned bosses are fine if they REPLACE the original boss, not if they're a completely seperate creature on a different planet with no apparent ties to the other aside from physical similarity and identical behavior. (I'm picking on ohmagoug, the Dimma Greina's are Vance reskins, but at least they're less visually similar...)

Sinue_v2
Nov 29, 2006, 11:57 AM
The very first E3 trailer contained the words "PSO-2"

Do you know what a teaser is? Did you not notice the question mark at the end of that little blip. News flash - they also mentioned "Phantasy Star V". So where is Algol, where is the turn-based combat with macro systems, and where are my goddamned Musk Cats?

The truth is... Phantasy Star Universe is neither Phantasy Star V, or Phantasy Star Online 2. It is, as it's always been, it's own unique game within the franchise. The PSO2? PSV? blips were merely refering to the fact that it would be an online title similar to PSO, yet also have an offline storyline mode similar to the original series.

Version 1 was fine for what it was, casts and forces werent broken til version 2

Spoken like a true HUmar. There really was no other reason to play any other class, after all, in v.1. They had all the abilities of every other race, aside from status immunity that casts enjoyed. Which really, when you have Anti at lvl 15 (the max for every class at the time) that's not a big deal, with the only status you have to worry about being paralization. Oh - but hey, Casts got paralized too... by electricity, which back then - humans were immune to.

There was no reason to play a FO. The only advantage they has was higher TP and MST. TP was negated by trifluids and how easy it was to obtain them. The extra damage caused by this MST boost was nowhere near the raw damage output a HUmar could dish out with weapons.

HUmars had all spells... all buffs & debuffs, megid, grants, and all the other nukes at the same levels as FO's.

Now honestly.. anyone here other than Ether, try to tell me honestly that that is what you would call a balanced game.

I was complaining about challenge mode being locked! I never even got to play episode 2 challenge mode because I'd quit by the time they released it. If I'd played BB at release, I'm sure I'd have been complaining about the locked content BS they pulled there too.

So you have absolutely NO excuse to be complaining about it by this point. You KNOW this is how Sonic Team does buisness. If you don't like it... move on. If you like the games, but still want to complain - at least complain to Sonic Team instead of spewing it here. I mean, I'm sure they'd love to hear your ideas on how to get new content to gamers 2 years down the road on a console which only has 8Mb of storage capacity MAXIMUM.

If PSU were a PC only, Xbox Only, PS3 only, ect release.. then yeah, I could completely see where you're comming from with that angle. On Blue Burst, it's a completely legitimate complaint. I agree with that. But not for a game released on the PS2, and certainly not for one that was released on the Dreamcast and NGC.

Ruby-chan
Nov 29, 2006, 12:30 PM
On 2006-11-29 08:57, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Do you know what a teaser is? Did you not notice the question mark at the end of that little blip. News flash - they also mentioned "Phantasy Star V". So where is Algol, where is the turn-based combat with macro systems, and where are my goddamned Musk Cats?

Where is Algo is right! Please someone get Phantasy Star out of Sonic Team's hands and back into the hands of the group that made the name a classic franchise in the first place. Assuming Sega hasn't fired them all already.. (You know.. since they became Overworks.. which got merged into Sega Wow, which the last webpage I know for them says the site is down.

Oh, no Musk cats for you. They were replaced by Numans and you know it. And we all know which one was like better. ;p

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ruby-chan on 2006-11-29 09:37 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Nov 29, 2006, 12:58 PM
Eh... honestly I'd rather see a cooperative project. Truthfully, Sonic Team has always been in charge of Phantasy Star. PSI & II was created back when ST was known as AM7, PSIII was created by a seperate development team altogether, and PSIV was made by a division of ST which later split off to become OverWorks.

Sonic Team can handle the gameplay and coding... that part of PSU I would really miss if they went back to the old style. Rieko and Tohru are definately still working at Sega as far as I can tell - but I would really like them to come back and do the storyline and expecially the art direction for the next PS game. Sonic Team really dropped the ball on that one, but really - we all saw it comming.

"Hi! I'm Dr. Monetegue. I'm a Numan! I also invented the Numen race! Isn't that veird?"

So yeah... and besides two other points...

1. Even if a PSV was made by the original team, it wouldn't have been in Algol. They've already confirmed that.

2. I would be just as happy with Skies of Acadia II.

happy_cricket
Nov 29, 2006, 01:16 PM
On 2006-11-28 18:38, xususp wrote:

Did you read what you just posted?
Sounds like this:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: xususp on 2006-11-28 18:39 ]</font>

I got what I paid for. Phantasy Star Universe with a story mode and an online mode, with more content to come online. I knew what I was getting and I got it. As did anyone else who knew anything at all about the game before dropping 50 ducats on it. Just because someone gets bored and the penny doesn't look so shiny anymore doesn't mean they got ripped off.

In short, I am not a victim, and neither are any of you.

[edited for speeling, omg wut skool did I go to??]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: happy_cricket on 2006-11-29 10:40 ]</font>

Ruby-chan
Nov 29, 2006, 03:35 PM
On 2006-11-29 09:58, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Eh... honestly I'd rather see a cooperative project. Truthfully, Sonic Team has always been in charge of Phantasy Star. PSI & II was created back when ST was known as AM7, PSIII was created by a seperate development team altogether, and PSIV was made by a division of ST which later split off to become OverWorks.

Sonic Team can handle the gameplay and coding... that part of PSU I would really miss if they went back to the old style. Rieko and Tohru are definately still working at Sega as far as I can tell - but I would really like them to come back and do the storyline and expecially the art direction for the next PS game. Sonic Team really dropped the ball on that one, but really - we all saw it comming.

"Hi! I'm Dr. Monetegue. I'm a Numan! I also invented the Numen race! Isn't that veird?"

So yeah... and besides two other points...

1. Even if a PSV was made by the original team, it wouldn't have been in Algol. They've already confirmed that.

2. I would be just as happy with Skies of Acadia II.

Keyword is the divison that split off. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif Those in ST now aren't exactly the creative soul of the series.

And Like I told you, Overworks was broken up, no sure where they are now in Sega's convoluted hierachy. They probably have Rieko chained up in the basement working on Virtual Spikers 2. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

And I'd be happy with Skies of Arcadia 2 as well. Too bad that ain't happening.

Sinue_v2
Nov 29, 2006, 05:18 PM
Keyword is the divison that split off. Those in ST now aren't exactly the creative soul of the series.

Rieko and Tohru, as well as many others, may not be at ST anymore - but that doesn't change the fact that Phantasy Star is, and always has been, in the domain of Sonic Team. When Sega wanted a new one, they went to ST - reguardless of where the original heart and soul of the game lay.

as for OverWorks, they're not dead. They merged with Sega Wow and are currently WowWorks. Their site may be down, but the team is not divided as far as I know. I doubt either of them were fired... considering they've worked on some of Sega's most prestigeous RPG's which made them quite a bit of money. I dunno what the status of it is now, but as of mid-2k4 they were confirmed in pre-production of Skies of Arcadia II.. but nothing has been heard of the project since. Rieko's last known (to me at least) project was as an assistant to the Altered Beast game which came out in EU. So weither or not she's busy at work on SoAII is anyone's guess.

It's not like Rieko hasn't fallen off the map before... hell, most of Sega's designers do. Yu Suzuki was basically Sega's answer to Miyamoto - but he was largely forgotten in the US after VF1 and the Saturn... then Shenmue hit... and now he's dissapeared again. Noone ever really talks about him, but you always hear from attention whore Naka - who honestly hasn't pushed out a really QUALITY game IMO since NiGHTS. (PSO was good, but it took 3-4 versions to get there, SA1 & 2 were fun, but had major problems)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-11-29 14:22 ]</font>

Mystil
Nov 29, 2006, 06:02 PM
On 2006-11-29 07:46, AndrewLD16 wrote:

No. You GTFO. It's not that we are impatient, it's the FACT that we bought a game which has content on it that we should have been able to play since the first day we got it, and Sega is trying to release it as "new" content. When in all reality, it's not new.

But hey, whatever. I didn't max my character yet, or all the job levels yet anyway. So I still have stuff to do.

It's already been confirmed by Clumsy that a lot of the content being release is not already on the disc.

Ruby-chan
Nov 29, 2006, 06:43 PM
I believe the problem is not that Clumsy said it, but that they don't believe what Clumsy said. I don't expect Clumsy to be truthful either, actually.

And Sinue, it does matter. As anyone who's seen movie licenses split when a company splits. If your team consists of 24 people, 12 work on project A and twelve work on project B, then the people on project B form a new company, it's obvious the it's not really the purview of the people who worked on project A. Usually in these cases the licesnses to Project B are simply allowed to die by the original company.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ruby-chan on 2006-11-29 15:44 ]</font>

Mystil
Nov 29, 2006, 06:49 PM
Well then, could always start a movement? Everyone could quit the game and it could send a message to SEGA. Granted it wont really affect them money wise because of japan, the message that we don't like getting monthy(or never again XD) updates while they are getting it every week on top of being statistically stronger than the us.

Your voices simply aren't being heard and doing so on the official forums is not good enough.

Agne
Nov 29, 2006, 07:20 PM
1 more little thing on this post; if they released EVERYTHING day one, we may not be hearing it now but in a few short months we'd be hearing:

players: "omg i played 50+ hours a week for 5 months and now i don't know what to do sega sux"

Sega: "well we were going to make sure that we had stuff to release later this time, and even went as far to tell you some of the stuff we were going to release down the road.. but you all complained b/c you weren't getting it fast enough sooo we released it all at once... now i know some of you might be saying why make the same mistake as last time, but we say to you, this is what you wanted."

right now we have ppl still rushing to the end. hopefully this thursday we'll have new stuff for them to rush to. and next month.. guess what, yep hopefully more stuff to race to. the idea is sega knew ppl would be running thru to be leet. So to give this game a little more life, so instead of running straight for 5 monts then nothing to do. you race for like 2 weeks out of a month for the next few years. if you last that long i mean,

Agne
Nov 29, 2006, 07:22 PM
besides if you're like me then you know you're probably gonna be here a few years. why bother rushing now. i've got pleeenty of time to get to 50 and beyond.