PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy this game?

Nidramag
Nov 28, 2006, 10:08 PM
I am a very big fan of PSO ep.1 and 2 and now I am wondering, should I buy it for the computer, or is it so screwed up and boring to most? tell me any reasons why or why not to get it, also, does it come with any free online play time?

VelosofLight
Nov 28, 2006, 10:17 PM
It has 15 free days online, but you need to pay for the first month to get 'em. So, eh, no. It doesn't really have free online time. If you don't plan to play online, it's not worth it. If you do, it is.

Hotobu
Nov 28, 2006, 10:18 PM
You don't REALLY think that you're gong to come to a forum called PSO-World which is about, by and for PSU/PSO players and get more than 20% (and that's generous) telling you not to buy it are you?

The only free time you get is a bonus 15 days for a new one month subscription and a bonus 30 for a 6 month. If you liked PSO it's definitely worth a look. Quite frankly I don't feel like going into any further detail.

ChrisKo
Nov 28, 2006, 10:22 PM
I prefer unlimited saga over PSU single player soo...... If you are not planing to play online I would say NO.

Dhylec
Nov 28, 2006, 10:23 PM
If you like PSO, you'd like PSU. Since it's relatively new, content aren't all there yet. If you don't rush, you might enjoy the game more.

For first time subcribers, Sega gives a 2 week free for the monthly option.

Pandatron
Nov 28, 2006, 10:49 PM
Sweet let's make polls that will be 100% bais sweet!

No seriously though it's probably the best $50+ subscription fee you could spend right now. Take your time and don't rush otherwise you'll end up like all us lvl 50s sitting in lobby all day...doing nothing....staring off into the distance. Though you don't see that as much anymore due to speculation of the new items comming out xD.

MegaBUD
Nov 28, 2006, 10:51 PM
If u play on PC/PS2... theres a way to "not" buy psu... and play online for 10$/month

mogshaz
Nov 28, 2006, 10:53 PM
If you are a very big fan of PSO V1 and V2 then you will probably like PSU, but if the update schedule leaves nothing for everyone else to do a lot of the player base might not be around after a while.

AeraLure
Nov 28, 2006, 11:18 PM
If you loved PSO, you'll probably like PSU. There are differences to be sure, but many of the fundamentals are the same. You really have to play it yourself and come to your own conclusions what you think and I would urge you to do so. Its fun, just leave room in your expectations for it to also be different.

Level 50's stare off into space? Really? Hmm. Yeah, after staring off into space while I think about it I realize... that I have wasted scores of mission points continuing to play on my level 50 anyway. Yeah well, such is life. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Candor
Nov 29, 2006, 12:02 AM
if you're asking this question you don't deserve PSU

Hotobu
Nov 29, 2006, 02:30 AM
Ok FRONT-AND-CENTER the only reason so many people voted no was to prove pumpkin face wrong!

(Why don't you all like the squash family?)

ViciousXUSMC
Nov 29, 2006, 02:32 AM
no the only reason so many voted no is because they didnt pay for the game and play it anyways.

mogshaz
Nov 29, 2006, 02:35 AM
On 2006-11-28 23:32, ViciousXUSMC wrote:
no the only reason so many voted no is because they didnt pay for the game and play it anyways.

agreed, i bet pirates make up atleast 25% of the population, and this is one situation where i can't say i really mind it. without them there would be very few stars lit up on the Uni select screen.

Hotobu
Nov 29, 2006, 02:39 AM
Oh so no means YES! It's piracy and rape. That's just wrong :/

Still though that kinda skews this guy's perception of the satisfaction of the population. Oh well. Go internet.

ViciousXUSMC
Nov 29, 2006, 02:43 AM
Gar!!! ever notice my new advatar has an eye patch?? I swear I didnt do that on purpose http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Anyways considering the nature of the game and how you pay montly to play online its not like they are totally jacking sega, and its pretty much there own fault for not having a CD key for the game.

Even tho I know they didnt include it to cut cost and problems with the game, so it was a wise and bad decision all at the same time.

I am happy its this way.

mogshaz
Nov 29, 2006, 02:46 AM
On 2006-11-28 23:39, Hotobu wrote:

Still though that kinda skews this guy's perception of the satisfaction of the population. Oh well. Go internet.

If you read my post i never said i enjoyed that the game is pirated. I just stated that it was Segas idea to not give the game CD keys, it was sega's idea to not update their game fast enough so satisfy most gamers, and it was sega's idea to give the responsibility of updating their user base on patch info to s thrid party (1up.com). so, i am not going to shed a tear for Sega because pirates decided it was just too Hard to pass up such an easy target.

DoubleJG
Nov 29, 2006, 02:48 AM
Yes. It's awesome.

industrial
Nov 29, 2006, 02:52 AM
If you like the franchise, you'll probably at least get your moneys worth outta PSU.

Hotobu
Nov 29, 2006, 03:34 AM
On 2006-11-28 23:46, mogshaz wrote:

If you read my post i never said i enjoyed that the game is pirated. I just stated that it was Segas idea to not give the game CD keys, it was sega's idea to not update their game fast enough so satisfy most gamers, and it was sega's idea to give the responsibility of updating their user base on patch info to s thrid party (1up.com). so, i am not going to shed a tear for Sega because pirates decided it was just too Hard to pass up such an easy target.

And exactly WHAT did my stand alone post have to do with me not "reading your post" and subseqent rant?

Hey industrial I'm right under you and veered from your vision. It's time to single me out and say stuff. GO!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hotobu on 2006-11-29 00:36 ]</font>

ViciousXUSMC
Nov 29, 2006, 03:36 AM
lol, help help I am being repressed!

mogshaz
Nov 29, 2006, 03:39 AM
On 2006-11-29 00:34, Hotobu wrote:

On 2006-11-28 23:46, mogshaz wrote:

And exactly WHAT did my stand alone post have to do with me not "reading your post" and subseqent rant?

'Oh so no means YES! It's piracy and rape. That's just wrong :/'

i apologize if your post right after mine was not directed specifically at my post, but my opinion still stands.

side note: you consider a paragraph explaination a rant? i guess anything could be considered a rant these days.

AndyPandy
Nov 29, 2006, 04:19 AM
I thought PSU was very mediocre when I first I played it on Beta coming from Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst.

After putting more time into it, I think it is nearly on par the original PSO, and just needs a few more uipdates to surpass it.

The game is VERY addictive, and stays pretty true to the original style of gameplay. The reviews in the press are unable to come to terms with its play-style and unfairly compare it to MMORPG's like WoW.

In some respecs I would have like to have seen PSU truly a "next-gen" title, with a game-play style similar to a MMORPG and improved graphics (although PSU is actually nice) I am glad however that the game does stay true to its original form and retains its "easy to play" style and Japanese quirkiness.

rvzero
Nov 29, 2006, 05:16 AM
No, don't buy it, download it illegally! BWAHAHAHHAHA... it's your choise and you pay for the monthly fees anyway...

But anyway. Yes, definetly get PSU. It's SO GODAWSOME I CAN'T STAND LIVING WITHOUT IT ANYMORE!

Agne
Nov 29, 2006, 07:12 AM
imo this is a great title and one worthy of checking out. If you're into the whole pirate thing go for it, it's there isn't it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif (i don't condone it buy hey) any ways like everyone is saying it stuck to the main [B] but added a few kubara wood to make it tasty http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

XredX
Nov 29, 2006, 09:50 AM
I would Say no but Sega has bord us out well most gamers andsome of us are tierd of playing the same thing over and over with no new weps and clothing and other stuff. but ill say yes because its a good game just ST need to update/unluck the US version a bit faster as well :'( im undecided i guess its best to take the advice from Importers that play the japanese Game. but at this Time I say No.

Para
Nov 29, 2006, 09:52 AM
I say wait a bit more till SEGA releases some more content.

Dhylec
Nov 29, 2006, 10:04 AM
Heh, I think the question now should be 'How soon should I buy PSU?'.

loblin
Nov 29, 2006, 03:13 PM
I really loved Phantasy Star Online 1&2 for gamecube, and had plans to buy this game, but since I'm gonna get a Wii in like 9 days, I'm not so sure anymore.

So, would you suggest me buying it now, or should I wait until I've finished Zelda?

And btw, how many content updates have the eu-servers recieved?

Cross
Nov 29, 2006, 03:26 PM
As much as it pains me to say, at this point I wouldn't buy it. There's been one update for US/EU player in over a month, and we're still using the basic classes. The population is on the decline, which is important for keeping player shops useful, and Sega has been amazingly bad at communicating with the player base.

Maybe it'll improve, and maybe it won't. I'd check back around after the new year, and if the game has been updated acceptably and there are enough players so that more than just Universe 1 is populated during primetime, then go for it. Otherwise, as awesome as the core gameplay is, it's probably just not worth it unless you're importing the Japanese version.

BigSword
Nov 29, 2006, 03:28 PM
I definitely agree. I've been playing since about day one, and there are nowhere near as many people on during "peak hours" as there used to be.

I'd say go with the Wii. I hear Wii Sports is really good.

Ruby-chan
Nov 29, 2006, 03:38 PM
Supposedly if you have problems with cancelling your account and try to do so over the phone the reps are instructed to tell that yes they know it's bad right now and are instructed to recommend coming back in a year and a half.

Of course that's just a rumor, though I'd love to see someone validate it. Oh yes on on Xbox where you must call in to cancel they're apparently sick of doing cancellations, so, yeah. ;p Phantasy Star Universe: Actual Online Mode coming April 2008. ;p

Bleemo
Nov 29, 2006, 03:42 PM
Get your Wii and wait a good while before you pick up PSU, if you decide to. Right now there is a lack of content, and I'm not so sure the new update will fix any disinterest either.

Personally, I'd rather be playing Zelda Wii right now than PSU, lol.

Dahilia
Nov 29, 2006, 03:43 PM
I'm in loblin's situation- but not because I'm getting a Wii; because I work a lot and wanted a time waster and love PSO. Most of my friends say it's good but there's no content. What a pity; I'm in no situation right now to get a Wii.

Maskim
Nov 29, 2006, 03:44 PM
On 2006-11-29 12:38, Ruby-chan wrote:
Supposedly if you have problems with cancelling your account and try to do so over the phone the reps are instructed to tell that yes they know it's bad right now and are instructed to recommend coming back in a year and a half.

Of course that's just a rumor, though I'd love to see someone validate it. Oh yes on on Xbox where you must call in to cancel they're apparently sick of doing cancellations, so, yeah. ;p Phantasy Star Universe: Actual Online Mode coming April 2008. ;p

On Xbox when you call to cancel, they go 'I see you have a Phantasy Star Universe subscription...would you like to cancel it?'

Oh yeah, it's fun. I'd buy it. I have now, thrice. PS2, PC, and 360.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Maskim on 2006-11-29 12:46 ]</font>

PJ
Nov 29, 2006, 03:55 PM
On 2006-11-29 12:26, Cross wrote:
awesome as the core gameplay is

Buy the game.

loblin
Nov 29, 2006, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the honesty. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I'm gonna wait a few months then, and find something else to keep me busy these 9 days. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

-Shimarisu-
Nov 29, 2006, 04:36 PM
Buy the damn game, I've bought 4 copies now.

And 5 subs http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Yes I admit I may have put one copy on two computers.