PDA

View Full Version : Story Mode: Voice Overs

PJ
Nov 29, 2006, 03:44 PM
I've been hearing mixed opinions about the voice overs in PSU's story, so I just want some opinions in ONE topic dedicated to it.

Some people thought it was all excellent, some thought all terrible, some thought all bad but Karen, some thought all good but Karen etc etc

I'd rather not have any arguments come up. You can hate Ethans voice all you want, but I think it's awesome.

So, onto specifics

Ethan - Perfect. Simply put, perfect.

Actually, come to think of it, there's no point going through every character. Cause all I'd say is, "Perfect." Except for...

Hal. Just, my god, this is the complete opposite. Utterly terrible. It was painful listening to her, and she was only there for maybe a minute or 2. She sounded very out of place, and there were breaks in her words where there shouldn't have been breaks. It was just bad.

My favourite voices were Ethan (If you couldn't tell already), Magashi and Tylor. The Vol Brothers were also characteristically hilarious http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Genobee
Nov 29, 2006, 04:02 PM
Ethan sounded like he had downsyndrome with a bad case of EMO.

-Crokar-
Nov 29, 2006, 04:05 PM
i liked the voice acting because i could understand it

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Crokar- on 2006-11-29 13:05 ]</font>

Variance
Nov 29, 2006, 04:11 PM
Ethan's voice, despite being fairly generic-sounding, would've been exponentially better if his VA would've expressed emotion better; sometimes it honestly made me wonder. Karen's voice I didn't like much either, but atleast her VA sounded like she had a bit more... talent.

ChocoboChad
Nov 29, 2006, 04:14 PM
I agree with you on Hal. And her personality doesn't really match her looks...

Franz
Nov 29, 2006, 04:15 PM
I liked Leo's voice some reason Leo's voice direction reminded me of a character in a old skool adventure game on Sega CD ; Snatcher. (greatest adventure game of all time IMO^^)

Sinue_v2
Nov 29, 2006, 05:07 PM
The VA's ranged from quite good, to quite terrible - depending on the character, and sometimes the circumstance. Overall, I'd say the VA work of PSU was midgrade. Not as good as others in the feild, but definately a lot better than others I have played. Example: .//hack and Star Ocean III.

Liked: Hiru Vol, No Vol, Megashi, Huyga, Lou, Nav, Maya, Liina, ect..

Disliked: Ethan, Karen, Mirei, Do Vol, Tyler, Leo, Tonnio, ect...

Some of those I didn't dislike because they were necessarily bad - but because they were way out of character. Expecially when it felt that their actions in the game didn't match the emotion or the actions onscreen. I don't believe they even showed the VA's game footage of the scenes they were doing or provided any real direction for scenes. They just went in and recorded their lines. For example, in the "Episode Previews" the voices (expecially Ethans) seem to be a lot better acted and flow together much more nicely due to not having to cut corners while synching to the action.

ShadowTH1000
Nov 29, 2006, 06:34 PM
I still want the JP VAs in the US version, did anyone ever figure out how to do that?

I haven't played story in english, but right now the US NPC shops are starting the get on my nerves. Especially casts... really fake british accents. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Edg3
Nov 29, 2006, 06:37 PM
I'd go with JP vocals and ENG subtitles any day. US dubs are always weak as hell, dubs FTL.

ShadowTH1000
Nov 29, 2006, 06:45 PM
yes, JP VAs ftw!

Mikaga
Nov 29, 2006, 06:52 PM
Pretty much the same complaint with most other EN dubbed things: Emotion was all wrong.

Two other complaints about this game in particular are that (a) the subtitles didn't even TRY to be synched with the voices and (b) in some parts the voices have been horribly sped up to fit time ("Wedidit, headmahster!").

In spite of all that, the voices themselves are actually suitable and fitting (except Hal...). It's just a real pity they were "gifted" to a group of people who don't really care.

Something to think about though: The expected expansion (cue: "waaah why expansion game's still mostly locked waah waah) is believed to have it's own Story Mode experience. I wonder if Sega/Sonic Team will be any good at getting the same group of people to come back for another go, or if we're gonna have a completely inconsistent set of voices with "original PSU".

FenixStryk
Nov 29, 2006, 06:57 PM
Uhh... maybe I'm just spacing out, but who is Hal? I can't remember such a name... do you mean Pete, the PM?

Oh, and I must say, the Vol Brothers cracked me up. Nav, Lou and Magashi were also very good.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FenixStryk on 2006-11-29 15:58 ]</font>

Tsukishima-Ruriko
Nov 29, 2006, 07:19 PM
Only on chapter 8 right now, and so far the only character voices I hated are Ethan (HATE HATE HATE) and Mirei (too airheaded sounding for the character).

I kinda like Karen's voice for some reason, think it's kinda cute.

PJ
Nov 29, 2006, 07:19 PM
Hal is the character based off Space Channel 5's Ulala, who does the News report

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PJ on 2006-11-29 16:19 ]</font>

FenixStryk
Nov 29, 2006, 07:22 PM
On 2006-11-29 16:19, PJ wrote:
Hal is the character based off Space Channel 5's Ulala, who does the News report.Oooh, yeah I remember her. I forgot her name. She's OK.