PDA

View Full Version : Design Flaws: Need Fixing!

Lastat27
Nov 30, 2006, 04:39 PM
This thread will not be a rant. You my have wanted a rant, but really, I'm not that kind of guy. Instead, I'll just be talking about some random things in PSU that have yet to show any purpose, possible design flaws on some of our equipment, and some oddities concerning systhesis and our partner machines.

To begin let's talk about our "Vision Phone." This bad boy is located in "My Room" and let's you go to other player's rooms / shops with ease. The current shop "search system" has already been adressed in other threads. Basically we need "advanced search options" so we stop finding "[B] Teroline" when were searching for just "Teroline" or finding "Twin Dagger" when all we searched for was "Dagger".

Another option is the "View Information" section of our Vision Phone. Upon playing the "My Room Tuturial" you will learn that:

You can view updates about newly available missions and events.

So far this option has yet to be used by Sega Team. It's purpose would seem to inform us of what has been updated during each content update. This would be quite useful, especially for those guys who own a PS2 / Xbox360, but can't go to a PC web browser to see what was updated. I really hope they use this option in the future.

Next I'll go into some possible design flaws on weapons. In this case Ranged Weapons. Here's a little chart I'll make to describe the situation with a bit more clarity:

|Weapon| |Bullet| |Bullet Color| |Weapon Color|
Rifle | Frozen Shot | Blue | Blue
Rifle | Plasma Shot | Yellow | Yellow
Rifle | Burning Shot | Red | Red
Rifle | Grav Shot | Orange | Red

Handgun | Frozen Hit | Blue | Blue
Handgun | Plasma Hit | Yellow | Yellow
Handgun | Burning Hit | Red | Red
Handgun | Grav Hit | Orange | Red

Basically, when changing your bullets between "Fire" and "Earth" bullets, the color of the bullet you shoot clearly changes from Red to Orange, but the color of the guns "photon stream" still remains red. Was it suppose to be this way? If you look at the weapons hanging on the walls in a "Player Shop" you will clearly see a gun with an orange photon stream, and clearly how different it looks from a red one. Albeit, not a big deal, I would like this to be changed.

Next up, CAST parts. As everyone knows, when you change your currently equipped armor to Gigaline, Teroline, etc. the color of your bodies design also changes. If your armor has Ice elemental defense on it then your defense grid on your body turns blue. The only gripe I have about this is that Fire elemental defense turns your defense grid pink.

Another problem is with CAST Leg parts. When you first create your character you will notice that Raptus, Lobus, and Gimnas CAST Legs all have "green lights" that shine around the ankles (Vilogis has red lights). This color does not change when you equip different elemental armors. So you end up with a pink defense grid on the Torso and bright neon green lights at the ankles. Again, not a big deal, but its hard to make a CAST look good under these current conditions.

And finally I'll focus on the synthesis system. Or rather, what your PM / various websites tell you that seem to not have been implemented yet. To begin I'll quote what your partner machine tells you when you talk to her about Synthesis Tips - Synthesis Time:

Some items you can make in Network Mode can take time to synthesize. The more rare or higher rank the item is, the more time it will take.

So far so good, basic knowledge. My Stellalines take 2:00 to synth and my Megalines take 2:30. But then she goes on:

On the other hand, it can take less time if your partner machine has a high level of experience with synthesis. Also, it will take less time as the number of syntheses increases.

Once again a straight-forward comment made by lovely little Leia. However, my production level is currently 100, pure 100 armor. And yet, my times have never gone down from 2:00 and 2:30. Furthermore, I had over 24 [B] Stellalines and 8 [B] Megalines in my partner machine, and after finishing off everyone of those boards my time has still not decreased. How many times must I synth before the time decreases?

Next, I'll quote http://www.psupedia.org. Most of the information on there is just players personal findings but I'll still quote it:

Battle Stat (B St.) or Combat Level (max. 100) - dictates a PM's stats in combat and increases overall synthesis proficiency;

So, according to this, by increasing my partner machines "combat level" I will in turn help my synthesis success as well. However, my partner machine is currently at a level 70 Combat level and climbing. The time it takes her to synthesize armor has never gone down. Also, her synthesis percentages never changed as B St rises.

As far as partner machines in combat go, I'll just say that the PM430 and 440 models need a "fire rate" upgrade, and a PM450 really needs her Resta back.

That's about all I can think of. Any other design flaws you guys have found through your 100-300 hours of playtime?

KirinDave
Nov 30, 2006, 04:43 PM
I dunno if I'd call these "design flaws" so much as "bugs." http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

But I'll add one. The tracking of the Diga technic seems almost random sometimes. Maybe it's lag, maybe there really is an "arc" in the collision detection of Diga, but it's very hard sometimes to figure out if Diga will arc over a mob's head or hit them, I've seen both happen.

Randomness
Nov 30, 2006, 04:43 PM
Well, as far as earth and fire weapons go, they DO look pretty similar, but if one weapon is graphically a little screwy, well... theres worse things that could be wrong.

As for the BST affecting synth? Thats not an official source, so you shouldnt take it as fact. It can be quite wrong, and has been in some cases. Same for the other stuff. Its called rumor.

McLaughlin
Nov 30, 2006, 04:48 PM
The colour of the weapon has to do with the the level of the weapon (how many Stars it is). The Photon colour does indeed change from Red to Orange-ish.

Also, I think by "proficiency" they meant what your PM is best at. When you check its stats it'll say somthing along those lines, followed by whatever stat is highest (I think).

And my Durandals only take about 30 minutes to Synthesize now, as opposed to an hour. Not sure about other 5* Striking weapons though. My PM is only level 70.

Lastat27
Nov 30, 2006, 04:52 PM
Well, as far as earth and fire weapons go, they DO look pretty similar, but if one weapon is graphically a little screwy, well... theres worse things that could be wrong.

As for the BST affecting synth? Thats not an official source, so you shouldnt take it as fact. It can be quite wrong, and has been in some cases. Same for the other stuff. Its called rumor.

The fire and earth weapons are 100% the same color, The color of the weapon does not change when you switch between Fire and Earth bullets. The guns hanging up in player shops are clearly orange, but take one into battle and its red.

About the B St, yeah, psupedia is just submitted player information, so you cannot take it as the 100% truth. However, everything else I quoted comes straight from your partner machines mouth aka. Sega Team.

Also, I think by "proficiency" they meant what your PM is best at. When you check its stats it'll say somthing along those lines, followed by whatever stat is highest (I think).

The "Syn. Trend" your talking about only means what weapons they are good at using in battle, not what weapons they are good at making.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lastat27 on 2006-11-30 13:55 ]</font>

McLaughlin
Nov 30, 2006, 04:58 PM
Why would Syn. Trend have anything to do with what weapon they're good at using? If that were the case, it'd say "Claws" or "Wands" but it just gives a general statement like "Striking" and "Ranged". Meh.

Turambar
Nov 30, 2006, 04:59 PM
If you look closely at the photon stream for the Ground and Fire bullets, one is a reddish orange, and one is more crimson that it is red, respecitvly. The differences arn't that noticable, but still existent.

Lastat27
Nov 30, 2006, 05:02 PM
Why would Syn. Trend have anything to do with what weapon they're good at using? If that were the case, it'd say "Claws" or "Wands" but it just gives a general statement like "Striking" and "Ranged". Meh.

My Partner Machine has a 100 Armor level. Yet her Syn. Trend is "Firearms." Shouldn't her Syn. trend be "Armor"?

Because of this, and the fact that she uses a Shotgun and Twin Handguns in battle, I believe Syn. Trend means which weapon type she prefers using. Notice that everything on the "second page" of your PM's statistics has to do with what she does in combat.

[Edited to make point clearer]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lastat27 on 2006-12-01 00:04 ]</font>

Kent
Nov 30, 2006, 05:14 PM
On 2006-11-30 13:39, Lastat27 wrote:
Next I'll go into some possible design flaws on weapons. In this case Ranged Weapons. Here's a little chart I'll make to describe the situation with a bit more clarity:

|Weapon| |Bullet| |Bullet Color| |Weapon Color|
Rifle | Frozen Shot | Blue | Blue
Rifle | Plasma Shot | Yellow | Yellow
Rifle | Burning Shot | Red | Red
Rifle | Grav Shot | Orange | Red

Handgun | Frozen Hit | Blue | Blue
Handgun | Plasma Hit | Yellow | Yellow
Handgun | Burning Hit | Red | Red
Handgun | Grav Hit | Orange | Red

Basically, when changing your bullets between "Fire" and "Earth" bullets, the color of the bullet you shoot clearly changes from Red to Orange, but the color of the guns "photon stream" still remains red. Was it suppose to be this way? If you look at the weapons hanging on the walls in a "Player Shop" you will clearly see a gun with an orange photon stream, and clearly how different it looks from a red one. Albeit, not a big deal, I would like this to be changed.

Sorry, but this is wrong - at least on my computer. I've made comparison screenshots for a couple ranged weapons, with a very, very clear difference in Earth bullets and Fire bullets. First up, is handgun:

http://img490.imageshack.us/img490/953/handguncomparisonhr3.jpg

And Longbow:

http://img490.imageshack.us/img490/5065/longbowcomparisonld1.jpg

This isn't a design flaw, but it could potentially be a configuration issue on your end. If you can't see the difference in these screenshots, though, I'd really recommend an eye exam. :/

Lastat27
Nov 30, 2006, 05:17 PM
Yes, I can definately see the difference from those screenshots. It could be a PS2 problem then. As I switch between my two Rifles there is absolutely no difference between the two. And everytime I enter a player shop and see orange it only makes it worse lol. All hail the PS2 graphics!

P.S. Thanks for the screenshots!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lastat27 on 2006-11-30 14:19 ]</font>

Kent
Nov 30, 2006, 05:21 PM
No problem.

You may want to mess with the color settings on your TV/Monitor, if it isn't diaplaying that much of a difference. Or it could be a problem with the PS2 version in general...

ChocoboChad
Nov 30, 2006, 05:24 PM
On 2006-11-30 14:02, Lastat27 wrote:

My Partner Machine has a 100 Armor level, yet her Syn. Trend is "Ranged Weapons." She used a Shotgun and Twin Handguns in battle.

Zeta has a point. I don't think Syn. Trend has to do with combat weapons, but actual synthesis. Your PM probably synthesizes ranged weapons faster than normal, even though it's pure armor.

Edit: I've noticed the same thing about the colors on my PS2. Going from fire element to earth element never seemed any different to me, but I didn't really care to study the cause.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChocoboChad on 2006-11-30 14:27 ]</font>

Edg3
Nov 30, 2006, 05:32 PM

My Partner Machine has a 100 Armor level, yet her Syn. Trend is "Ranged Weapons." She used a Shotgun and Twin Handguns in battle.

Well it can't throw armor at the enemies now can it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

SonicTMP
Nov 30, 2006, 06:36 PM
On 2006-11-30 14:32, Edg3 wrote:

Well it can't throw armor at the enemies now can it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

but you can throw yourself, wearing armor, at the monsters.

Dhylec
Nov 30, 2006, 06:41 PM
The color 'error' is most likely the TV's. I play on PS2 & I can see the difference between ground & fire.

Franz
Nov 30, 2006, 08:15 PM
I always wandered what "view information" command did on the vision phone, I hope SOA puts some use in to it.

Like the in game message boards on PSObb don't think anyone used those . ;d It'd be cool if the vision phone had something like that.

Xbob
Nov 30, 2006, 10:14 PM
On 2006-11-30 13:43, KirinDave wrote:
I dunno if I'd call these "design flaws" so much as "bugs." http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

But I'll add one. The tracking of the Diga technic seems almost random sometimes. Maybe it's lag, maybe there really is an "arc" in the collision detection of Diga, but it's very hard sometimes to figure out if Diga will arc over a mob's head or hit them, I've seen both happen.

Diga does have an arc. All spells that are projectiles will only hit if the monster is in the path. That means if a Hunter knocks the monster up, it goes right over your fireball, if a Pannon is short, hitting it with Diga will mean you need to get closer or farther.

Kent
Nov 30, 2006, 10:31 PM
Indeed. Diga does have an arc, however, it's only a large enough arc to fly over small enemies if the projectile is near its apex when the enemy crosses its horizontal path. And yes, you can hit airborne enemies with it... Like if someone uses Rising Strike/Crush, Foie would go under an enemy if your timing was wrong/unlucky. However, with the same timing, you may hit the airborne enemy with it.

Thankfully, the collision box for Diga is a little on the big side, so it'll only go over small enemies (but not knocked-down medium/large enemies) near the middle of the travel distance of the projectile. It's part of how they're differentiating the basic techniques - so Diga isn't just an "earth Foie."

ethereal
Dec 1, 2006, 01:10 AM
Hmm... I see the difference VERY clearly..... as said before, probably just your TV.

Agne
Dec 1, 2006, 01:45 AM
well i'm to agree with everyone else, check your tv settings. my orange looks orange, and my red looks red. of course i'm playing on 360 on hd settings with an hd tv so maybe i may be ignorant to the uhf/ av hook ups.

ethereal
Dec 1, 2006, 02:01 AM
i just wish they would fix the ground from moving. or my claws from turning into ugly steel claws when veiwed fron an angle....

Killuminati
Dec 1, 2006, 02:23 AM
On 2006-11-30 14:17, Lastat27 wrote:
Yes, I can definately see the difference from those screenshots. It could be a PS2 problem then. As I switch between my two Rifles there is absolutely no difference between the two. And everytime I enter a player shop and see orange it only makes it worse lol. All hail the PS2 graphics!

P.S. Thanks for the screenshots!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lastat27 on 2006-11-30 14:19 ]</font>

I have the same problem as you, ground and fire look exactly the same on my tv as well.

Kent
Dec 1, 2006, 02:40 AM
On 2006-11-30 23:01, ethereal wrote:
i just wish they would fix the ground from moving. or my claws from turning into ugly steel claws when veiwed fron an angle....

Ground from moving? You mean the cloud shadows that pass over the ground in some outdoor areas?

It sounds like this "ugly steel claws" problem is from not having Post Effects active - for the most part, the actual polygonal models for the photons on the weaponry, are either translucent of their respective color, or bright white when certain objects are behind them. Turning on Post Effects will enable the glowing effect around photon portions of weapons... However, it'll also probably kill your framerate, unless you're using the latest drivers.

...Assuming you're on the PC version, of course.

Proff
Dec 1, 2006, 02:42 AM
I'm on PS2, but I'm playing on an HDTV with Monster Component cables (480i though). I can perfectly see the difference in colors though on the Fire and Earth.

ethereal
Dec 1, 2006, 03:02 AM
hmm... how to explain it. it usually only happens when i move. but when i do, the ground gets all... jerky... starts moving around like crazy. and nope, i play on the ps2... sadly.

Lastat27
Dec 1, 2006, 03:08 AM
I've noticed the ground moving sometimes too. If you think of the ground like... tiles in a kitchen, as your running through a mission sometimes you'll see one of those tiles begin to shake around likes it out of place.

RadicalEd
Dec 1, 2006, 03:36 AM
On 2006-11-30 14:24, ChocoboChad wrote:

Zeta has a point. I don't think Syn. Trend has to do with combat weapons, but actual synthesis. Your PM probably synthesizes ranged weapons faster than normal, even though it's pure armor.

Edit: I've noticed the same thing about the colors on my PS2. Going from fire element to earth element never seemed any different to me, but I didn't really care to study the cause.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChocoboChad on 2006-11-30 14:27 ]</font>

so wths the point of making a pure armor PM then? and is the time reduction thing proven anyways? ive been synthing hajirods forever and theyve always been one hour.... my PM is pure tech btw, lvl 80... i belive synth trend is their prefered combat weps and if someone can prove that they synth that specific wep type faster, then its also, literally, their synth trend. so how bout it lastat? see if you can synth a gun wep faster than someone with a lower lvl pm, and if you can then.. well... they should make a PM thats synth trend is armor but has a gun or something because that would be kinda unfair to someone raising an armor pm =/