PDA

View Full Version : Between stage blocks freezing?

AlMcFly
Dec 1, 2006, 02:50 AM
Ok, this prob belongs in the Tech Support area of this site but let's face it, nobody goes there, and I will get my quickest answer here.

Ever since update, my game will freeze slightly between blocks of stages and at beginning of missions. It didn't really bother me too much until today while competing in a JEM Guild sponsored contest in which teams race to the end of missions and got awarded upon placing.

I want to know if the cause of this has already been found and how I can correct this. It's annoying as hell to always be the first one into the block exit only to come out way behind everybody else in the group...

A2K
Dec 1, 2006, 02:59 AM
By "freeze" what do you mean? Does it get stuck on a loading screen (but the logo in the corner still animates), or does the game load the stage then freeze there?

At first glance, it seems like a latency issue to me.

AlMcFly
Dec 1, 2006, 03:00 AM
The corner animation moves for a little bit, then stops for about 10-20 seconds, then eventually starts going again loading the stage.

*edit* If it is latency, how is it fixed if at all?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: McFlyVII on 2006-12-01 00:12 ]</font>

AlMcFly
Dec 1, 2006, 03:13 AM
*bump*

Ether
Dec 1, 2006, 03:18 AM
In your graphical settings, for textures, see if compressed is selected. If it is, try changing it to normal. Doing this will fix the loading problem, but you may have framerate trouble in outdoor areas like Parum

Variance
Dec 1, 2006, 03:30 AM
As Ether pointed out above, having compressed textures turned on is more than likely the culprit. I had the same issue when I ran compressed. I got tired of it, so I switched it back to normal; the problem went away.

AlMcFly
Dec 1, 2006, 03:36 AM
Thanks for the reply. That did make a significant change to the load screen. Doesn't freeze anymore, although now with textures on normal I tried Parum and get this weird "herky-jerky camera" thing anytime a new field graphic comes into view. I think I find the jerkiness far more annoying than the slightly longer block load so I will keep it compressed I guess. Oh well, thanks for your troubles. ;P