PDA

View Full Version : Pronunciations?

JAFO22000
Dec 1, 2006, 01:33 PM
Just wondering how the following spells should be pronounced:

Zonde: Is it (zohnd) or (zohn-dee)?
Diga: (Dig-gah), (Die-gah) or (Dee-gah)?
Megid: (mah-jid), (mah-ghid), (mee-jid), (mee-ghid)?

I currently pronounce them all as the number 2 examples given above.

Thanks!

Maskim
Dec 1, 2006, 01:43 PM
Can't tell you how they should be pronounced, but here's how I do pronounce them.

Zohnd
Dig-ah (It's an earth spell, seems like it should sound like the word dig)
Meh-gid or Meh-jid, never pronounce it the same

Grr
Dec 1, 2006, 01:46 PM
This is why i type everything http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Not caring ftw.

In all seriousness though. Ive played through One DC version and TwoXbox Version with voice chat supoort , and ive herd it SO many ways , that I honestly dont know.

My favorite word on all of the PSU/PSO series ? Gibbles. , which by the way , is a monster they must bring back !

(For those of you that dont know , there was a tower with a room of Giant monkeys (that are minibosses on another level) named Gibbles. when they see you , they leap into the air and land on you. My friend was close to a corner , and it got stuck on a corner , and due to a clipping error he got jumped on over and over and over. It chewed through his scape dool , killed him again , and then when he died , The ciipping error Seemed to slide down , So it had to appearance he was being monkey humped wildly.) the rest of us killed it off , and after we were done laughing and making jokes at the dead friends expense , we raised him and moved on. good times.)

DMG
Dec 1, 2006, 01:47 PM
Here's how I say them. I'm probobly horribly wrong, but whatever.

Diga- Dee-Guh
Zonde- Zon-Day
Megid- Meh-Jid

Dj_SkyEpic
Dec 1, 2006, 01:49 PM
Here's how i've been pronouncing these since 2001:

Zonde: Zon-deh
Megid: Meh-jid & Ma-Jid

Currenly pronouncing these:
Diga= Dee-Gah

Speaking of pronounciation... How about future spells?
Dammegid: Damn-Megid?
NosDiga: Nos-Diga? Nose-Diga? o.o o.o

Choja
Dec 1, 2006, 01:50 PM
On 2006-12-01 10:49, Dj_SkyEpic wrote:
That would be what everyone's saying after they greet the Jarba for the first time.

DikkyRay
Dec 1, 2006, 01:51 PM
On 2006-12-01 10:50, Choja wrote:

That would be what everyone's saying after they greet the Jarba for the first time.

XD

Grr
Dec 1, 2006, 01:51 PM

Bah-Zing !

happy_cricket
Dec 1, 2006, 01:52 PM
Zahn-duh
Meh-gid
Dee-guh

MXdude
Dec 1, 2006, 01:53 PM
Iv been saying zonde and megid as: Zon-day, and Meh-gid since PSO.

and i say diga as Dig-a.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MXdude on 2006-12-01 10:53 ]</font>

Grr
Dec 1, 2006, 01:54 PM
On 2006-12-01 10:52, happy_cricket wrote:
Zahn-duh
Meh-gid
Dee-guh

Zahn-duh ? >.> whered that a sound come from ? (O.o)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Grr on 2006-12-01 10:55 ]</font>

DikkyRay
Dec 1, 2006, 01:56 PM
Who-cares?
But yea doe sit really matter? Pronounce eit the way you want. Until theres a VA actually saying the spells, its all up to you.
but oh well here goes how i like to pronounce them:
zohnd
Meh-jid
dee-ga

Mewn
Dec 1, 2006, 01:57 PM
Zon-day
Meh-gid
Dee-ga

ethereal
Dec 1, 2006, 01:57 PM
this is me >.>
zon-da
meh-gid
di-ga (i know, horrible.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ethereal on 2006-12-01 11:00 ]</font>

Doh42
Dec 1, 2006, 02:13 PM
It's japanese names, so the pronounciation is closer to how it would read in french than english.

For some reason, though, I have always english-ized my pronounciation of them, so I'm sure I'm way off.

I say "Mayjihd" for Megid

For Zonde, I pronounce it more like "Zond". It's probably "Zon-day", but a "e" at the end of a french word is kinda mute, the "ay" sound comes from other latin tongues.. A bit like "Forte" is "For-tay", imho... "For-tay Tec-ker" still rolls off nicely.

Gah, it's quite complex. ^-^;;

ZodiacNKnight
Dec 1, 2006, 02:27 PM
I pronouce Zonde like Zon-Day... However, when I say it though it sounds French.

ZiG
Dec 1, 2006, 02:28 PM
On 2006-12-01 10:56, DikkyRay wrote:
Who-cares?
But yea doe sit really matter? Pronounce eit the way you want. Until theres a VA actually saying the spells, its all up to you.
zohnd
Meh-jid
dee-ga

If a VA says the spells, you guys will just bitch that it's American and say it's wrong, anyway.

Kent
Dec 1, 2006, 02:29 PM
First off, the Japanese names:

http://www.psupedia.org/index.php?title=TECHNICS

The translations are pretty accurate to the katakana displayed. You can discern from these, the correct pronunciations for these words, such as:

Foie - "fo-ee-eh" (yes, this one sounds really weird; "foh-yeh" if you try to say it fast)
Zonde - "zohn-deh" ("zohn-day" is more accurate than "zohnd")
Diga - "dei-gah" (though, in English context, it'd be "dee-gah")
Barta - "ba(r)-tah"
Megid - "meh-Gihd" (yes, hard G sound)

DikkyRay
Dec 1, 2006, 02:30 PM
On 2006-12-01 11:28, ZiG wrote:

Who-cares?
zohnd
Meh-jid
dee-ga

If a VA says the spells, you guys will just bitch that it's American and say it's wrong, anyway.

still some people do like voice actors...
Plus i wont bitch about spells, i mean if it they release that it is pronounced Zon-Day, that doesnt mean ill call it that, its always zohnde to me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Choja
Dec 1, 2006, 02:30 PM

Who-cares?
zohnd
Meh-jid
dee-ga

You're just asking X360 forces to run around screaming the names of TECHNICS. I see that as fun.

ZiG
Dec 1, 2006, 02:32 PM
On 2006-12-01 11:30, DikkyRay wrote:

Who-cares?
zohnd
Meh-jid
dee-ga

still some people do like voice actors...
Plus i wont bitch about spells, i mean if it they release that it is pronounced Zon-Day, that doesnt mean ill call it that, its always zohnde to me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

But no one seems to like american voice actors. Apparently it's 1337 to only like Japanese VA.

JAFO22000
Dec 1, 2006, 02:48 PM
Who-cares?
zohnd
Meh-jid
dee-ga

True. I just like to pronounce things correctly, though people seem to know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, if you rely on the VA's, then you should call them SUV (not an acronym; rhymes with "Dove") weapons. At least, that is how Lou explains them in the Story Mode.

"It's a SUV weapon...from outer space. You can't have one."

DikkyRay
Dec 1, 2006, 02:49 PM
Actually i believe she pronounced them as SUB weapons lol
i still call em SUV tho, sounds cooler

JAFO22000
Dec 1, 2006, 02:50 PM
On 2006-12-01 11:29, Kent wrote:

The translations are pretty accurate to the katakana displayed. You can discern from these, the correct pronunciations for these words, such as:

Foie - "fo-ee-eh" (yes, this one sounds really weird; "foh-yeh" if you try to say it fast)
Barta - "ba(r)-tah"

Wow, thanks Kent! I guess I have been pronouncing most of them correctly! And I've been using a hard G for Megid since PS2!!!

DikkyRay
Dec 1, 2006, 02:54 PM
On 2006-12-01 11:29, Kent wrote:

Barta - "ba(r)-tah"

nice... but im still pronouncing them my own way lol

MayLee
Dec 1, 2006, 04:02 PM
This is how I prononce things

Starting with Cities.

Parum: Paroom
Neudaiz: New-dayz
Moatoob: Mow-tube

Foie: Fow-ee
Barta: Barta..:|
Zaonde: Zon-dae
Diga: Dig-ah or Dee-ga
Magid: Ma-jid(Heard someone pronounce it as Meg-id)
Zalure: Zal-your or Zal-your-ae
Maseta: Ma-set-uh or Monies

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MayLee on 2006-12-01 13:05 ]</font>

Alisha
Dec 1, 2006, 04:09 PM
New-dayz
lawl isnt the story mission where you first go to neidaiz called new days >.>

edit:all the planet names are spoken by VA's in story mode.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alisha on 2006-12-01 13:09 ]</font>

Sychosis
Dec 1, 2006, 04:16 PM
Foe-ee (I guess a bad habit from PS4's "Foi" spelling)
Bar-tuh
Zon-day
Dee-guh
May-gid
Jel-lun
Shift-uh (duh!)
Zuh-lure (like a fishing lure)
Dee-band

Muh-set-uh

EDIT: Edited the spelling of my pronounciation of Meseta to better reflect my pronounciation.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sychosis on 2006-12-01 13:36 ]</font>

JAFO22000
Dec 1, 2006, 04:17 PM
On 2006-12-01 13:02, MayLee wrote:

Starting with Cities.

Neudaid: New-dayz

Foi: Fow-ee

Parum = Par-uhm
Neudaiz = New days
Moatoob = Mo-uh-toob (though I did call it Motavia by mistake once and the person I was talking to was LOST!)

Zalure: Zah-lor

Meseta: Mah-SET-uh (I remember playing PS1 back in the days...my best friend HATED that game. When I played it, he would make fun of it. Whenever you would kill a monster in that game it would inform you that you "gained 2 EXP and 12 Meseta" Anyways, he called it "Mez-ta". I slip up sometimes and call it that too!)

Flamingo99
Dec 1, 2006, 04:21 PM
Zonde: Zon-day
Diga: Dig-ah
Megid: Meh-jid

Thats how I say them.... not usre if they are correct though.

ZiG
Dec 1, 2006, 04:32 PM
Half of MayLee's incorrect pronunciations come from the fact that she's spelling the words, themselves, wrong.

It's not Magid, it's Megid. It's not Maseta, it's Meseta.

She has the planet pronunciations spot-on, since they're voiced inthe offline cutscenes (Sorry JAFO, it's Par-oom, though I also say Paruhm, cause Paroom is retarded.)

Oh, and Meseta is pronounced Gil, thanks.

Sychosis
Dec 1, 2006, 04:35 PM
On 2006-12-01 13:32, ZiG wrote:

It all makes sense now!

Sychosis
Dec 1, 2006, 04:37 PM
So...is it Gill or Jill?

ZiG
Dec 1, 2006, 04:44 PM
Hard G, yo

Sychosis
Dec 1, 2006, 04:47 PM
Word.

ZiG
Dec 1, 2006, 04:49 PM
I think we just bonded.

Pure-chan
Dec 1, 2006, 04:53 PM
I'm glad someone brought this up! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I'm pretty sure that Megid is pronounced Meh-gid.

ST pulled from various religions for the naming conventions in PSO (Varaha, Agni & Indra for example are from Hinduism). Likewise, a possible source for inspiration when naming Megid may be "Megiddo," the place where, in Christian tradition, the final battle between good and evil, Armageddon, will take place. In Latin, the word 'Megid' literally means 'to destroy'. (which seems fitting)

It's nice to hear have the Japanese spellings for Foie and Zonde, too:

In the same way that the text from PSO was in a stylized text, I always thought that Foie and Zonde were meant to represent futuristic words for Fire and Thunder.

"Foh-yeh" doesnt sound that dissimilar from someone saying "Fire" with an accent.

"Zohn-deh" is interesting. To me, it already sounds like "Thunder," but with an "Z" substituing the "Th".

As sort of an odd side note, according to babelfish, zonde also translates out to "sin" in dutch. (...another religious reference, maybe?) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Niki
Dec 1, 2006, 05:30 PM
Okei, not sure if this has been covered, but, a long while back I thought I remembered reading something about the word "Megid" having something to do with "Megiddo", the plain in Israel that is referenced in the book of Revelations as being the place where the Final Battle between good and evil will begin. I can't rememeber where I read that, I'm sorry to say, but after checking in with the oft-unreliable Wikipedia...

"The second-last military showdown in world history, taking place at or near Megiddo, is prophesied in the New Testament Book of Revelation: Armageddon, an encounter between the forces of good and evil that has become a byword for the end of the world. However, the final battle described by the Book of Revelation is actually Gog and Magog."

...and the less-fallible Omniglot.com, I came across some notes on the Hebrew pronunciation. At this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megiddo_(place)) address you can see the name displayed in Hebrew characters that read right to left. They are Mem, Gimel, Yod, Daleth, and Waw. While I do not speak Hebrew, the working understanding I have leads me to pronounce this as "M'g'yi'dhuw", or to Romamize it, "Muh-ghi-doh". I'm guessing that, if this is indeed the basis for the Japanese name of the Technique, they probably intended it to be pronounced "meh-ghid".

I'd be grateful if someone who is a student of language or a native Hebrew speaker could reference for me the IPA characters used to pronounce this correctly. Or if you could just prove me wrong outright, that would be fine as well.

EDIT: My bad, Pure-chan beat me to it. That's what I get for sitting in the text edit-box for a half hour while I do my research. ><;;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Niki on 2006-12-01 16:03 ]</font>

Astarin
Dec 1, 2006, 05:31 PM
Speaking of pronounciation... How about future spells?

A point no-one has addressed yet... my estimates are:

Radiga: "RAH-deegah"
Gidiga: "JI-deegah" or "JEE-deegah"
Damdiga: "DAHM-deegah" (rather than "DAMN-deegah")
Nosdiga: "NOHS-deegah" ?

Any other interpretations?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Astarin on 2006-12-01 14:32 ]</font>

JAFO22000
Dec 1, 2006, 05:40 PM
I agree with all of the pronunciations for the prefixes except for the gi-: I would pronounce it "ghee" (like the karate uniform)

Dj_SkyEpic
Dec 1, 2006, 05:48 PM
How about future spells?

Radiga: "RAH-deegah"
Gidiga: "JI-deegah" or "JEE-deegah"
Damdiga: "DAHM-deegah" (rather than "DAMN-deegah")
Nosdiga: "NOHS-deegah" ?

Any other interpretations?

Ra = RAh
Gi = Gee or Geuh
Nos = Noss
Dam = Dam

Thats how I pronounce and will pronounce these prefixes ;3

Kent
Dec 1, 2006, 05:54 PM
Actually, the "Gi" prefix has the same katakana as the "gi" in "megido," so it'd be, "Gih."

Lashiens
Dec 1, 2006, 05:58 PM
On 2006-12-01 10:52, happy_cricket wrote:
Zahn-duh
Meh-gid
Dee-guh

These are the correct pronounciations of the words, to answer OP's question. I used to have a book that clearly showed all the pronounciations for all of the spells in the PS canon, but sadly over the years, I have lost it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

and yes, the Gi- prefix would be prounced in the same way that you say "Get." So sound wise, it would be like Geh-barta, Geh-foie, etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lashiens on 2006-12-01 15:01 ]</font>

UltraDeeDer
Dec 1, 2006, 06:23 PM
I usually say:
Digger
Zon-d
Med-jid

JAFO22000
Dec 1, 2006, 06:34 PM
Thanks for all your help on this!! This thread turned out to be WAAAYYY more informative than I expected!

VelosofLight
Dec 1, 2006, 06:45 PM
On 2006-12-01 10:57, Mewn wrote:
Zon-day
Meh-gid
Dee-ga

These seems popular. It's what I've always used. Oh, wait, 'cept I say 'Meh-jid'.

Sychosis
Dec 1, 2006, 06:57 PM
I've always pronounced Gi as Guy.

Guy-zon-day

DonRoyale
Dec 1, 2006, 07:00 PM

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Beaten to it...

As for me:

Foy
Zon-dee
Bar-tuh
Dee-guh
Grants
Meh-gid
Gee-(tech)
Damn-(tech)
Ray-(tech)
Nose-(tech)
Meh-gee-verse
Meh-gee-star
Ren-tis
Di-zass
Shif-tuh
Dee-band
Zoal-dee-aal
Reh-tee-rur
Gel-in
Zal-ur
Zoal-deal

I believe that covers everything...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SereneShadows on 2006-12-01 16:05 ]</font>

Neith
Dec 1, 2006, 07:19 PM
I probably butcher the pronounciation.

Zon-day
Rah-zon-day
Gee-zon-day
Nos-zon-day
Zoh-dee-al

Foy? (lolz)
Rah-foy
Gee-foy
Dam-foy
Shif-tah
Jel (like Gel)-en

Bar-tah
Rah-bar-tah
Gee-bar-tah
Dam-bar-tah
Dee-band
Zal-yoore

Dee-gah
Rah-dee-gah
Gee-dee-gah
Nos-dee-gah
Ret-e-el

Ray-grants
Rest-ah
Rev-err-sah (partly due to my accent)
Gee-rest-ah

Meh-jid
Rah-meh-jid
Nos-meh-jid
Meh-jee-star
Meh-jee-verse

I know I missed a few, but heh.

I don't know how they should be pronounced, but I'll say them like that anyway. I have done (with the exception of the new techs) for years anyway.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UrikoBB3 on 2006-12-01 16:26 ]</font>

MayLee
Dec 2, 2006, 12:55 AM
On 2006-12-01 13:17, JAFO22000 wrote:

On 2006-12-01 13:02, MayLee wrote:

Starting with Cities.

Neudaid: New-dayz

Foi: Fow-ee

Parum = Par-uhm
Neudaiz = New days
Moatoob = Mo-uh-toob (though I did call it Motavia by mistake once and the person I was talking to was LOST!)

Zalure: Zah-lor

The NPCs, it was actually, Lou who pronounced Parum, Paroom

VelosofLight
Dec 2, 2006, 01:28 AM
Am I the only one that pronouces 'Foie' as Foy-aye?

-Shimarisu-
Dec 2, 2006, 04:22 AM
Half of MayLee's incorrect pronunciations come from the fact that she's spelling the words, themselves, wrong.

She has the planet pronunciations spot-on, since they're voiced inthe offline cutscenes (Sorry JAFO, it's Par-oom, though I also say Paruhm, cause Paroom is retarded.)

It's not Par-oom, it's Pa-rhum, it's a short "u" sound.

Of course I'm basing this off the Japanese pronunciation, KINDA. I mean, that's what it is, but also if I hadn't known that I'd still pronounce it with a short U because I'm not American and I daaaaaaaaaaht taaaaaaaaaaaalk using toooooo meeeeeeehny voooowel saaaaunds.

Seriously wtf?

Tycho
Dec 2, 2006, 04:28 AM
I pronounce 'Shifta' like 'Agtal'.

Itsuki
Dec 2, 2006, 04:53 AM
Tycho wins the thread. But seriously, wtf is up with shifta. Agtal, Deftal, Agdeal, Defdeal ftw. Seriously, they just make more sense.

ST pulled from various religions for the naming conventions in PSO (Varaha, Agni & Indra for example are from Hinduism). Likewise, a possible source for inspiration when naming Megid may be "Megiddo," the place where, in Christian tradition, the final battle between good and evil, Armageddon, will take place. In Latin, the word 'Megid' literally means 'to destroy'. (which seems fitting)

If it matters any, the japanese write it as "Megido"

And seriously, what is up with people and pronouncing Megid with a J!? Wtf is wrong with you people.

fay
Dec 2, 2006, 06:26 AM
the way iv always pronounced them is

zon-day
dig-ah
meg-id

pritty much what they said but i just turn em into smaller chunks to say, of course i say them as a whole though

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fay on 2006-12-02 03:27 ]</font>

Alisha
Dec 2, 2006, 06:43 AM
On 2006-12-02 01:22, -Shimarisu- wrote:

It's not Par-oom, it's Pa-rhum, it's a short "u" sound.

Of course I'm basing this off the Japanese pronunciation, KINDA. I mean, that's what it is, but also if I hadn't known that I'd still pronounce it with a short U because I'm not American and I daaaaaaaaaaht taaaaaaaaaaaalk using toooooo meeeeeeehny voooowel saaaaunds.

Seriously wtf?

thats how all the npc's pronounce in it story mode on the american version too.

-Shimarisu-
Dec 2, 2006, 07:50 AM
Yes I know, and it's fucking wrong. The dub isn't bad, but I still can't understand why americans elongate vowel sounds so much.

Ravennittes
Dec 2, 2006, 07:59 AM
For Dammegid, it's either da-me-jid or da-me-gid, depending on your pronunciation of Megid.

About Nos-(tech), it's nosu (silent 'u', or semi-silent, you know what i mean, it's the whole 'su' thing in Japanese)
As pronounced correctly, it'd be no (as in not) then s' (' being a slight pause over a skipped vowel): no-s'-(tech)

Skuda
Dec 2, 2006, 08:10 AM
I went over this a few months back in offtopic.

The easiest route of pronunciation is to take it directly from the katakana. Those with a basic understanding of the Japanese language should be able to figure out correct pronunciations.

-Shimarisu-
Dec 2, 2006, 08:25 AM
BUT THAT MEANS YOU ARE A JAPANOPHILE WHO SHOULD BE SHOT!

I SHALL PLAY THIS JAPANESE GAME FOR 12 HOURS A DAY FROM MY ENTIRELY WESTERN PERSPECTIVE, AND THAT MEANS I FLY THE RED WHITE AND BLUE WITH PRIDE, YESSIREE!

Cry0
Dec 2, 2006, 09:59 AM
Here's how i've been pronouncing these since 2001:

Zonde: Zon-deh
Megid: Meh-jid & Ma-Jid

Currenly pronouncing these:
Diga= Dee-Gah

dito

MayLee
Dec 2, 2006, 10:49 AM

It's a shame that I lack the ability to care.

astuarlen
Dec 2, 2006, 11:17 AM
It would be interesting if we could somehow look at geographic location vs pronunciations to see if there are any regional tendencies. Interesting, but unfeasible. ;p

I tend to pronounce things in the "simplest" way possible, right or wrong. Adding extra sounds on the end (zond-ay) is too much work, as are most long vowel sounds. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

FOY
ZOND
BAR-tuh
DI-guh
Muh-JID

Ruh-FOY
Gih-FOY
NOHS-foy (sounds like most)
DAHM-foy (sounds like domino)

SHIFF-tuh
Duh-BAND
JEL-in
Zuh-LUR (sounds like brr)

PAR-uhm
NEW-dahz
MOWa-toob

Muh-SET-uh

Uh huh.

Xbob
Dec 2, 2006, 01:00 PM
I say "May-gid."

Remedy
Dec 2, 2006, 01:05 PM
Zahn-day
Dee-gah
Meh-ghid

Neith
Dec 2, 2006, 01:09 PM
Shifta was in PSO, there's no need to change it in PSU. Makes me wonder why the hell it's Agtaride, if they used Shifta, seems wierd.

Remedy
Dec 2, 2006, 01:11 PM
Precisely, they should've left the techs the same.

I mean hell, they censored "SD", so.... *shrug*

Oh well, it's either "Gather for S/D/Z/R" or "Gather for A/D/Z/R". Still gets the job done, right?

Xbob
Dec 2, 2006, 01:14 PM
"GFB" Gather For Buffs. Simple.

Ravennittes
Dec 2, 2006, 02:59 PM
They've censored other things too... like Sega...