PDA

View Full Version : Anyone cry and weep a lot at such a emotional story? (spoil

Saner
Dec 2, 2006, 06:47 PM
I played through teh story again and I weep and weep seeing Mirei leave us! her last words to Karen and all felt sooooo powerful and tragic, and after she says "I love you" I wailed and weeped soooo much! >.<

It really felt more tragic than even Nei's death. though I can't tell if Alys or Mirei's death is more tragic. perhaps both since we learned more about them than Nei and their character and stuff are expressed more deeply. plus Mirei is sooo kind and gentle and sweet!
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_salad.gif

but yaaaa, its a good think Karen makes it and more than likely gets together with Ethan, so ya the ending is pretty happy, though Mirei is still a huge loss (oh ya and Kou and Lou and Dr. Daren) ><;;;

but ya I still wweep and weep. maybe I should make a fanfic where like a star twinkles and poof! Mirei is alive again and everyone's super happy! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Choja
Dec 2, 2006, 06:51 PM
Saner, sad (and absurdly ambigous) endings are the new trend. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

McLaughlin
Dec 2, 2006, 06:57 PM
It's ambiguous so that the Online story can continue.

And no, I didn't.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zeta on 2006-12-02 16:00 ]</font>

DizzyDi
Dec 2, 2006, 06:58 PM
How are you enjoying PSU online Saner?
I know YOU OF ALL people shouldn't have any complaints.

Saner
ambiguos? is that even a word? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

xxravenxx
lol, i told myself i wouldnt play online anymore till i finished the last mission of story mode, i did, AND IT WAS AWSOME!!!! this is on my top 10 favorite games ive ever played in my life ^_^

McLaughlin
Dec 2, 2006, 07:00 PM
Ambiguous: open to or having several possible meanings or interpretations; equivocal: an ambiguous answer.

Saner
Dec 2, 2006, 07:00 PM
On 2006-12-02 15:58, DizzyDi wrote:
How are you enjoying PSU online Saner?
I know YOU OF ALL people shouldn't have any complaints.

well um um online is really great except for the fact that they are unlocking PSU's true potential little by little. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Saner
Dec 2, 2006, 07:01 PM
On 2006-12-02 15:58, xxravenxx wrote:
lol, i told myself i wouldnt play online anymore till i finished the last mission of story mode, i did, AND IT WAS AWSOME!!!! this is on my top 10 favorite games ive ever played in my life ^_^

Im happy for you! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

ethereal
Dec 2, 2006, 07:01 PM
Heh, people who say the story sucks really need to think about it. I found it really good, and preatty sad taboot. I never shed a tear, but it was preatty damn sad.

RadiantLegend
Dec 2, 2006, 07:04 PM
There is a story mode XD ?

DizzyDi
Dec 2, 2006, 07:17 PM
On 2006-12-02 16:09, Nukei wrote:
It wasn't sad at all. But the story was pretty good that it is 1000x better than online mode. o-O Online mode has no story in my opinion.

Maybe thats because the story missions haven't been released yet...o-O but thats just my opinion. :fooditem:

-Shimarisu-
Dec 2, 2006, 07:42 PM
"Tragedy and misery."

*bowl of salad*

"Emo waffle."

Schubalts
Dec 2, 2006, 07:58 PM
Do emo waffles taste like concentrated angst?

Sychosis
Dec 2, 2006, 08:19 PM
I didn't cry! I had something in my eye! And I had something in my eye the second time too!

I-It's just a coincidence!

Seriously though, Alys' death was great. Zio is the man. Next to maybe Rune and Lutz. It's a close 3 way tie.

Weak
Dec 2, 2006, 08:24 PM
I think it would have been a lot more emotional without voices.

Facial expressions and background music can often do a better job than voice acting, especially when the VAs are hit or miss.

Tsukishima-Ruriko
Dec 2, 2006, 08:28 PM
Mirei's death was sad, but the Lou unit's 'death'seemed sadder to me, especially the lone tear it shed before the other Lou closed it's eyes.

Oh, and salad: http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_salad.gif

Ithecih0
Dec 2, 2006, 08:33 PM
saner are you a fucking retard or something?

Jife_Jifremok
Dec 2, 2006, 08:42 PM
Um..I had little to no connection to the characters, but I did get a few chuckles out of some things, like Nav just falling down from what seemed to be a heart attack.

The Mirei death thing just kinda...seemed like a horribly convenient way to resolve a possible love triangle and at the same time easily make the hero be the boyfriend of the princess. Actually, since Mirei's pretty much inside Karen now, when/if Ethan finally gets to *you know*, would it count as Ethan being *inside* both of them at once?

And Alys's death was far more tragic, even if that's only because Alys was among the most entertaining PS characters ever.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2006-12-02 18:16 ]</font>

FenixStryk
Dec 2, 2006, 09:11 PM
FIX THOSE SPOILER TAGS!

Anyway, yeah, Lou's death seemed sadder to me. It's like, how could you turn off your emotion chip? That hurts.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FenixStryk on 2006-12-02 18:11 ]</font>

Otis_Kat
Dec 2, 2006, 10:48 PM
I have one phrase to sum up Story Mode...

"Let's go on the Network!"

But seriously, it did have some sad points, but I never cired.

AnamanaAU
Dec 2, 2006, 10:49 PM
It was sad, but I'm not that bipolar.

Garnet_Moon
Dec 2, 2006, 10:51 PM
I saw the japanese dub version of that scene on youtube. I wept for that one, but kind of giggled with the NA one.

The part where Ethan, Hyuga, and "I'd hit it if she was in my room" Karen are talking about Network mode? I laughed.

EDIT: Spoiler added, I guess.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2006-12-02 19:52 ]</font>

Ether
Dec 2, 2006, 10:55 PM
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6052/ethandt6.jpg

Ethan seemed bored during that scene. Just look at him, staring at the ceiling like that

Maskim
Dec 2, 2006, 11:00 PM
I havn't played story mode really...so I dunno. I imagine I would though. I don't get all broke down, crying, but I have been known to get a little teary eyed when reading, playing games, or watching a movie. It's always when the hero falls. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I can remember being a kid and watching the Transformers movie in theatres...I cried when Optimus Prime died.

...shut up. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

PaladinRPG
Dec 2, 2006, 11:45 PM
On 2006-12-02 17:19, Sychosis wrote:
I didn't cry! I had something in my eye! And I had something in my eye the second time too!

I-It's just a coincidence!

Seriously though, Alys' death was great. Zio is the man. Next to maybe Rune and Lutz. It's a close 3 way tie.

"Oh Zio the holy one...!" *foam at mouth, convulse on floor*

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Thrash777
Dec 2, 2006, 11:50 PM
um... napkin? hankerchief? box of tissues? lol

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Thrash777 on 2006-12-02 20:50 ]</font>

Sychosis
Dec 2, 2006, 11:57 PM
On 2006-12-02 20:45, PaladinRPG wrote:
"Oh Zio the holy one...!" *foam at mouth, convulse on floor*

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

You know it. Only the Psycho Wand can stop Zio! I NEED my Psycho Wand SEGA!

Sinue_v2
Dec 3, 2006, 12:17 AM
Yeah, except unfortunately Karen's death was completely insignificant as she held no real importance to the overall storyline or your characters aside from the brief flash-in-the-pan moment where she's fleshed out just before her death. She's not like Alys or Nei (or dare I say, even Areith) who were vital members of your party. Karen's departure to become the new maiden can be seen as a form of death, because she had to abandone who she was and all of her past life - but it's cheapened by the fact that she DOES NOT DIE, and makes a return at the end of the game. Her sacrifice feels hollow and cheapened.

PSU does not have a sad ending... PSII has a sad ending. Your entire party is assumed dead - and despite liberating Algol and defeating the darkness, they go down in recorded history as criminals and terrorists. The homeplanet of the human race, and the place where the majority of PSI takes place, is utterly destoryed and over 90% of the solar system's population perish. Those who survive, face a very harsh life as society is thrust back into the dark ages and Motavia reverts once again to a desert state hostile to human life.

Even PSO, at least up to Ep III also had more tragic endings - expecially considering that Pioneer II was unable to land and resulting population spikes onboard lead to a massive genocide of artificial life forms Casts and Numans shortly prior to the events in the game.

PSU's ending is lolipops and fucking rainbows compaired to previous games in the series.

McLaughlin
Dec 3, 2006, 12:49 AM
On 2006-12-02 20:00, Maskim wrote:
I can remember being a kid and watching the Transformers movie in theatres...I cried when Optimus Prime died.

...shut up. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I too, was crushed.

Zorafim
Dec 3, 2006, 12:49 AM
Sad? PSU? Um, sorry. I can't say I agree with you. I was really expecting much more from the game than just the death of an idol and the death of a replaceable character. Both of them were even rather random, come to think about it. I can say that, compared to newer games I've played, it wasn't too bad storywise. But it's far from an emotional game.

McLaughlin
Dec 3, 2006, 12:52 AM
The Perfect Storm...

THAT was sad.

FenixStryk
Dec 3, 2006, 03:31 AM
On 2006-12-02 21:52, Zeta wrote:
The Perfect Storm...THAT was sad....Hmm... it WAS sad, but I've seen sadder..trying to think of what that something was...hmm... ... ...God, why can't I think of the answer! ... ...I'll get back to you on that one, but I know it's out there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FenixStryk on 2006-12-03 00:32 ]</font>

KiteWolfwood
Dec 3, 2006, 04:35 AM
I only was sad because I thought Mirei was the hotter twin. Does that make me a bad person?

Otis_Kat
Dec 3, 2006, 07:47 AM
On 2006-12-03 01:35, KiteWolfwood wrote:
I only was sad because I thought Mirei was the hotter twin. Does that make me a bad person?

Yes, Karen has better eyes http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Disasteroid
Dec 3, 2006, 08:06 AM
Christ, even Apollo Creed's death was sadder than anything PSU's mediocre story threw at you...

Alisha
Dec 3, 2006, 09:03 AM
no death in an rpg has ever been as tragic as mareg's in grandia 2. he dies so that the rest of the party can live. on top of that he was the melee crushinator of the party so his loss hurt you in more ways than one,and simulates the feeling that a part of you is missing.
even alys death was retarded because by that point in the game she sucks a lot. seriously at that point in the game all i was doing with her is casting shifta wich rika gets shortly after alys dies.
if demi died i would of cared because she owned,but Kyra >>> alys

Wheatpenny
Dec 3, 2006, 10:02 AM
I dunnow I cried during the ending of Metal Gear Solid 3,the boss got shafted by her own country.

Yoruichi
Dec 3, 2006, 10:13 AM
On 2006-12-03 06:03, Alisha wrote:
no death in an rpg has ever been as tragic as mareg's in grandia 2. he dies so that the rest of the party can live. on top of that he was the melee crushinator of the party so his loss hurt you in more ways than one,and simulates the feeling that a part of you is missing.
even alys death was retarded because by that point in the game she sucks a lot. seriously at that point in the game all i was doing with her is casting shifta wich rika gets shortly after alys dies.

Don't even remember mareg lol. I had to look him up its been so long. I don't think I was that found of him. Mabey I used him wrong, normally when I play rpgs I tend to over level before I continue with the story, so everyone was super strong at that point and the fact I loved grandia's combat music. I even stay in dungeons quite longer than I have to to make sure I get any items I may need for later(FF1 is a great game to relate to this with missing valuable items). I think I even did it in xenosaga just because there was more movie then game itself lol.

Ryudo
Dec 3, 2006, 12:42 PM
On 2006-12-03 06:03, Alisha wrote:

I love you.

Mareg was such a hero ;_; Melfice's death was pretty sad too

PSU's story is only at the halfway point, Karen and Ethan have a lot to go through yet Ethan and Karen get branded as traitors by the guardians and Communion of Gurhal for NOT sacrificing themselves and their friends, which is an interesting contrast to the other Phantasy Star games

Garnet_Moon
Dec 3, 2006, 12:47 PM
Saddest death was FF7 when Aeris died. amirite?

>___>;;

EDIT: Whoops, spoiler tags added.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2006-12-03 09:48 ]</font>

Taris
Dec 3, 2006, 03:53 PM
On 2006-12-02 19:55, Ether wrote:
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6052/ethandt6.jpg

Ethan seemed bored during that scene. Just look at him, staring at the ceiling like that

That isn't staring at the ceiling...I recognize that as "I'm a big boy, and I can't be seen weeping like a girl with a river of snot coming out of my nose, so I'll tilt my head back. For about a half an hour."

Yeah, OG Optimus Prime death = teh big hit.

However, OG Optimus Prime RESURRECTED (later in the series) kicked ass so much more, then. Not even death could kill him. (Uh...yah.)

Also:

-- PS2's ending was made that much more sad-ish because it came after about 50+ hours of grinding levels and earning meseta for the best equipment. Oi.

-- FF7's "big death" is still the most overrated sequence in game history. A 'see this coming a mile away' death in the most silly way at the hands of one of the most 3rd rate villans in game history. (And that doesn't even count the pathetic fights against him. Which makes him a 4th rate villian...) (Also: look, ma, no spoilers.)

-- PSU offline "ending" leading to chapters in online mode STILL >>>> the incomprehensible, rubbish end chapter->ending of Sonic The Hedgehog 2006. Maybe Sonic Team should have someone outsource their script/scenario writing altogether at this point...

ChrisKo
Dec 3, 2006, 04:17 PM

............. I would have to say I prefer Unlimited Saga over single player ANY DAY.

Maskim
Dec 3, 2006, 04:35 PM
On 2006-12-03 13:17, ChrisKo wrote:

............. I would have to say I prefer Unlimited Saga over single player ANY DAY.

A Saga game?

..that's harsh.

ChrisKo
Dec 3, 2006, 04:45 PM
Exactly why I used it.

Parn
Dec 3, 2006, 04:55 PM
The scene had more impact than Nei's death since Nei had about as much character development as a sack of potatoes, but that's not saying much since Mirei wasn't developed that much, either. The whole scenario felt like an intentional tribute to Phantasy Star II that could have been delved into more if we had seen some of the conversations Mirei and Karen had, but that never happened. This left a big, gaping hole where there could have been Mirei's personality, and so she suffers from Nei syndrome. All we get is that she's really nice, she's an important figurehead, and she's the spiritual counterpart to Karen's physical ability. That pretty much sums things up for Mirei.

As it stands, Alys retains the title for best Phantasy Star moment.

Sekani
Dec 3, 2006, 06:37 PM
On 2006-12-03 00:31, FenixStryk wrote:

On 2006-12-02 21:52, Zeta wrote:
The Perfect Storm...THAT was sad....Hmm... it WAS sad, but I've seen sadder..trying to think of what that something was...hmm... ... ...God, why can't I think of the answer! ... ...I'll get back to you on that one, but I know it's out there.

Mufasa's death in "The Lion King" is one of the very few moments I've ever shed a tear while watching a movie. PSU? Bah.

McLaughlin
Dec 3, 2006, 07:00 PM
I just found Aeris's burial scene kinda awkward.

First off, a blind man could've seen her death coming from a mile away.

And second of all, Cloud walks into THE MIDDLE OF A LAKE, AND DROPS HER. Then SHE SINKS FOREVER. Now, either the lake is only waist-deep until you hit the exact center, where there's a cliff face that goes on forever, OR (the more plausible theory) Cloud can walk on water.

All in all, once I had control of Cloud, I continued on my merry way. Didn't even have to add someone to the party.

Zorafim
Dec 3, 2006, 08:50 PM
I got kinda angry when Nei died. Neither she nor the scene was fleshed out enough, but she was still my favorite videogame character. Just her picture at the beginning of the game was enough for me to love her. I still haven't finished the game since I stopped playing after she died.

And, am I the only person who laughed when Aeris died? It was so random and it came out of nowhere. The scene was pretty and all that, but it was still funny.

Maskim
Dec 3, 2006, 10:18 PM
On 2006-12-03 17:50, Zorafim wrote:
I got kinda angry when Nei died. Neither she nor the scene was fleshed out enough, but she was still my favorite videogame character. Just her picture at the beginning of the game was enough for me to love her. I still haven't finished the game since I stopped playing after she died.

Hah, I've done that before. Back in Jr. High,or highschool...I can't remember now, it was too long ago, I read Steven King's Gunslinger. Absolutely LOVED that book. Rushed out, bought the 2nd book the the Dark Tower series, got about...oh...40-50 pages in, were Roland loses his fingers, and BAM! Was so mad that I tossed the book across the room, and never picked it up again. My mom found it a couple years ago when she was moving. 'You want this book back?' 'NO! I'm still mad at it...'

Sinue_v2
Dec 3, 2006, 11:59 PM
Optimus Prime death = teh big hit.

Didn't he die of prostate cancer?

The scene had more impact than Nei's death since Nei had about as much character development as a sack of potatoes, but that's not saying much since Mirei wasn't developed that much, either.

Nei's personally was rather well fleshed out - unfortunately it wasn't until the later documentation, settei, Drama CD, and side-games among other things - that we really got to know her. Not to mention the other tidbits - like the fact that Josh Kain had a huge crush on her, and that she somewhat returned the feelings. (Rolf was more of a big brother figure to her, and he and Anna Zirski had more of a relationship type bond since they share similar backgrounds/compliment each other well) After Nei's death, Josh kicks himself pretty hard for not joining Rolf's party earlier and getting to know Nei better.

Even so, I think Nei's death even in-game signifies so much more than Merei's death simply because Nei knew she was going to die right from the outset. She wasn't really her own being, but instead a splintered fragment of Neifirst's personality which happened to find it's way into it's own body. They were still connected in the mind, and that's why she insisted she come with Rolf on this particular journey. She knew Neifirst was behind the Bio-monster outbreak Rolf was ordered to investigate, and she had to stop her - even at the cost of her own life. And she did this in an attempt to save the lives of people who had hated and scourned her her entire life.

That's tragic... and even without much dialouge, that's still beautiful.

Alys's death was much more well fleshed out - but still wasn't as significant IMO.

Zorafim
Dec 4, 2006, 12:51 AM
Oh right, that's why I like Nei. That and the personality she gives through her portrait and battle sprite.
I liked how Rolf went to the cloner and they told you why the cloning didn't work, too.

-Crokar-
Dec 4, 2006, 01:03 AM
you cried?

thats it. thats all that matter. i never cried at movies or video games.sure there are sad moments but come on its just a game/movie.

Zorafim
Dec 4, 2006, 01:20 AM
I get sad sometimes, but I hardly ever shed a tear. However, Mufasa's death is an exception. Anyone who doesn't cry to that isn't human.

You know what? I'm changing my avitar to Nei just because I can.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zorafim on 2006-12-03 22:21 ]</font>

aquafire
Dec 4, 2006, 01:27 AM
I've only gotten really sad at the end of Tales of Legendia.

-Crokar-
Dec 4, 2006, 01:37 AM
i guess im not human then

Blitzkommando
Dec 4, 2006, 06:15 AM
Last time I cried during a movie or game (which, come to think of it, I've never cried to a game) was when I was under severe stress, overtired, and at the peak of emotionally unstable puberty and it was the Omega Man when Charleton Heston died. Fuck yeah! Most people don't even remember the movie and looking back on it I realize how utterly, terribly, and horribly cheesy that was. It was a decent movie, for one that was about a dystopian society overrun by zombies of biological holocaust where only one man is the 'cure for humanity'.

Well, unless you count tears from laughing too hard as 'crying' over a movie. In which case that happens too often for me to recall the most recent.

Ronzeru
Dec 4, 2006, 09:21 AM
All these deaths aren't worth tears. If you wanna cry, watch Grave of the Fireflies. That makes grown men cry.

KirinDave
Dec 4, 2006, 11:16 AM
The storytelling of PSU's single player mode is so awkward and poorly paced, I'm not sure how anyone can form serious attachments to the characters. I felt more empathy for Clooney in "Solaris".

On 2006-12-04 06:21, Ronzeru wrote:
All these deaths aren't worth tears. If you wanna cry, watch Grave of the Fireflies. That makes grown men cry.

Yes. I saw it in a theater, we all left with tears in our eyes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KirinDave on 2006-12-04 08:17 ]</font>

Ronzeru
Dec 4, 2006, 11:21 AM
And Speaking of Solaris, Xenogears is a game that has great emotion in it. (Not Xenosaga mind you.)

And again, like I said. Grave of the Fireflies > Mufasa's death. I laughed at when Mufasa died ^_^. But a lil girl bitin' the dust is an entirely different story.

Legenden
Dec 4, 2006, 12:25 PM
I cried when Nei died in PS2 becouse it really suprised me, I cried when Alys died becouse the way they presented it (it was so increadibly well made).

But No, I didn`t really care when Mirei died becouse it was not all that suprising and it did not feel like a "quality death", like when Alys died in PSIV.
I was more like guessing who will die in this PS game? Karen or Mirei:)
But I did get annoyed with not having Karen around after that,,

MayLee
Dec 4, 2006, 12:48 PM
On 2006-12-02 16:58, Schubalts wrote:
Do emo waffles taste like concentrated angst?

Mmmm, my kind of breakfast