PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 2 UPGRADE?

Thoridan
Dec 5, 2006, 02:02 PM
Here's my problem: When playing Phantasy Star on my Playstation 2, I usually experince smooth flowing game play; NOTE: I have 11mbps cable connection. However, when I am in a large party...such as 5 or 6 members, or when there are many monsters and PA's and magic going on around me...I experince lag. Slow motion-type lag. I'm sure this isnt due to my connection speed, so...considering the PS2 is basicly like a computer...I think I need to upgrade its "RAM" (or whatever the term is for play station 2's temporary memory)

So, Here's my question: Is it possible to improve game play for PSU on playstation 2, either from changing some type of settings or perhaps upgrading the PS2 in some way?

Any help (from anyone who isn't a moron) will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Deja
Dec 5, 2006, 02:04 PM
Happened to me, and I don't think you can upgrade it at all. I just "purchased" it on my computer and played with the lowest settings. Looks crappy, but at least plays in 5-6 man teams.

KirinDave
Dec 5, 2006, 02:08 PM
Your upgrade is an Xbox 360. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

rena-ko
Dec 5, 2006, 02:10 PM
you cant update your playstation - the game wont recognize more RAM anyway, as its been stripped off such functions. thats the good and as well the bad point with consoles.

get yourself a cheap PC that runs PSU. there you can tweak the settings and hardware stats as you want.
plus: you'll be able to carry over your online chars as they're saved serversiden.

Akaimizu
Dec 5, 2006, 02:11 PM
But seriously. Consoles, in general, don't have true upgrade abilities for that kind of thing. The best thing they can do is use better memory resources or possibly utilize a Hard drive or something, as a buffer.

If you are sure your network isn't the bottleneck, you'll just have to get used to the slowdown and work with it. Or go PC, if you have the choice and want to carry over your same PSU account information.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-12-05 11:11 ]</font>

Thoridan
Dec 5, 2006, 02:17 PM
meh, I'm not goign PC. I have a 60 inch tv. Meh...oh well, guess I'll try and stick to parties that are smaller....hope that doesnt make some missions impossible later.. =

Diablohead
Dec 5, 2006, 02:20 PM
Outdoor levels seem to give my pc a little slowdown in places but places indoors seem totaly fine, maybe only 6 man team on indoor maps?

Thoridan
Dec 5, 2006, 02:23 PM
nah, i definetly remember relics lagging too. It's not so much that there's 6 people, just that too much is going on. I have no lag outside of missions even when there are 50 people around, but...when they start using PA's and TECH's...thats when the lag hits...when theres too much goin on at once.

Guitarsmasher
Dec 5, 2006, 03:16 PM
i play psu on my ps2 slim, and have the same problems, but to a very small extent. i sometimes lag too in a 6-man party and everyone's doing their PA, and my connection is 108 MBPS! but compared to the lag in some other games ive played, this is nothing to me, so its easier for me to put up with it. id rather have a minor lag for a couple of seconds, than go out buy a new computer, and play psu on it on the lowest/worst settings.

Ruby-chan
Dec 5, 2006, 03:20 PM
On 2006-12-05 11:17, Thoridan wrote:
meh, I'm not goign PC. I have a 60 inch tv. Meh...oh well, guess I'll try and stick to parties that are smaller....hope that doesnt make some missions impossible later.. =

You could hook your PC up to said ginormous TV. If it's an HDTV it'll look great if your PC is any good. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

McLaughlin
Dec 5, 2006, 03:28 PM
It's been known for some time (regardless of Saner's efforts) that the PS2 suffers from serious frame rate issues.

Either deal with it, or switch to PC/Xbox 360. The game wouldn't recognize more RAM, and has been programmed to run with the nromal amount anyway, so its always going to perform that way.

PJ
Dec 5, 2006, 03:33 PM
On 2006-12-05 12:28, Zeta wrote:
It's been known for some time (regardless of Saner's efforts) that the PS2 suffers from serious frame rate issues.

Suffers, but doesn't stop the game at all.

Yes it happens, no it doesn't make the PS2 version as shitty as everyone else makes it out to be

KirinDave
Dec 5, 2006, 03:43 PM
Seriously. If you have a 60" TV, why aren't you running towards an Xbox 360? Cheapest video game player + HD-DVD player on the market, and they're not hard to buy.

The PS2 looks horrid on my 60" even if I play games that run in 420p.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KirinDave on 2006-12-05 12:45 ]</font>

DoubleJG
Dec 5, 2006, 03:44 PM
Smaller parties are your best bet.

Alisha
Dec 5, 2006, 04:33 PM
is it possible that the ps2 is able to access the hdd as virtual memory? because i've noticed i get less slowdown on my big ps2 than my slim one. the only place i get slowdown with the ps2 that has the hdd is in miruzaki CD,but my slim ps2 also gets slowdown in the free mission forever zero where there is frequenttly like 10 or more merla vanda spamming barta.

Garroway
Dec 5, 2006, 04:49 PM
If you're unwilling to switch to xbox 360 or pc I really think your only option is to deal with it. I play both the xbox 360 version and the ps2 version now. The PS2 version is grossly inferior but it is still playable (if I go from 360 to PS2 back-to-back I find myself touching my face constantly because it seems as if I am not wearing my glasses). I honestly only play PS2 because it has a stronger Roleplaying population.

MegaBUD
Dec 5, 2006, 05:34 PM
get a ps3... run a lot better... i know its weird but its ur best bet if u want stay on the ps2/pc server...

Garroway
Dec 5, 2006, 05:36 PM
Do you have a PS3? I've been curious about the backwards compatability with PSU.

Saito S
Dec 5, 2006, 05:49 PM
I have seen the PS2 version and the 360 version running side by side, and they didn't look all THAT different to me. PS2 looks fine to my eyes; yes, it is definately not as nice looking, but not by a huge margin.

HOWEVER...that may partly be my TV. I have a very nice TV, but it is a "normal" TV. I think that with the PS2, having a "high-end" TV like a plasma, LCD, etc (anything with HD) that can actually make PS2 games look WORSE. Whereas something like mine, which you could say is the upper-end of normal Tv's, brings out the best of the PS2, but doesn't do as much for the graphics on a 360 as a high-def TV would. So how good each version will really look partly depends on what kind of TV you have. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

On the subject of slowdown: this can actually vary from PS2 to PS2. The PS2 is a funky system in that it has been riddled with defects throughout it's entire life, yet there are plenty of PS2's out there (some even from the 1st generation release back in 2000) that have never had any major problems. And some systems just don't work as well as others, and some don't work as well on specific games as others. When I was working at EBGames, I saw all kinds of weird stuff, such as a system that would not play game A at all, but played game B fine. Then a replacement system, which will run game A normally, but game B skips and stutters. So different PS2's will experience the slowdown to different degrees. For the record, I do get some slowdown, but only when there are 5 or 6 people, lots of monsters, and at least 2 or 3 visually heavy PA/techs/monster attacks going on at the same exact moment. Often if even one of those criteria are taken away, I get no slowdown at all.

N0LifeKing
Dec 5, 2006, 06:04 PM
On 2006-12-05 12:16, Guitarsmasher wrote:
i play psu on my ps2 slim, and have the same problems, but to a very small extent. i sometimes lag too in a 6-man party and everyone's doing their PA, and my connection is 108 MBPS! but compared to the lag in some other games ive played, this is nothing to me, so its easier for me to put up with it. id rather have a minor lag for a couple of seconds, than go out buy a new computer, and play psu on it on the lowest/worst settings.

Not to incite anything but I just wanna know who is your ISP.I have yet to hear of any ISP to offer 108mbs to a residential area and be affordable, unless you mean your connection to the router which would make more sense. Other than that I sure would love to hook up with them. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif6

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: N0LifeKing on 2006-12-05 15:08 ]</font>

McLaughlin
Dec 5, 2006, 06:05 PM
On 2006-12-05 14:34, MegaBUD wrote:
get a ps3... run a lot better... i know its weird but its ur best bet if u want stay on the ps2/pc server...

NO IT WON'T.

The game was PROGRAMMED to run with X amount of RAM. Adding more won't do **** all to help frame rate issues. It's not like the PC version, which is programmed to look at the system requirements and say "Hmm. The specs for this PC are pretty crummy. I'll only be able to run on minimum settings." The game is only programmed to use X amount of RAM, and no matter how much more you add it won't affect the performance of the game.

And yeah, frame rate issues DO affect gameplay. Takes you longer to switch to another weapon, takes longer for that weapon to load, and until it loads you can't attack. Does it make the game unplayable? No, but it sure is a pain in the ass. You can't downplay the frame rate issues because some people base their purchases off opinions on these boards. To give an untruthful opinion to an impressionable buyer, and to have them make a purchase based on your opinion, only to have them get home and say "What the hell? This sucks!" is idiotic because you only praised it to justify your own purchase.

Caveat emptor.

KirinDave
Dec 5, 2006, 06:44 PM
On 2006-12-05 15:05, Zeta wrote:

NO IT WON'T.

The game was PROGRAMMED to run with X amount of RAM. Adding more won't do **** all to help frame rate issues. It's not like the PC version, which is programmed to look at the system requirements and say "Hmm. The specs for this PC are pretty crummy. I'll only be able to run on minimum settings." The game is only programmed to use X amount of RAM, and no matter how much more you add it won't affect the performance of the game.

Not to mention that the PS2 backwards compatibility mode doesn't make the added RAM availble to games in emulation mode. It's part of the compatibility, some people used bizarre software interrupt tricks to trigger OOM conditions, and if those aren't hit within a certain boundary, the constants are all off and the game crashes weirdly.

Seriously. Xbox 360. At least as good as the PC version in terms of a looks, and a server crop that is about 1000x less likely to experience any kind of hacking. Oh, and you get games like Gears of War, which is outstanding even if you are bored of the current crop of FPS me-toos.

Guitarsmasher
Dec 5, 2006, 06:47 PM
On 2006-12-05 15:04, N0LifeKing wrote:

Not to incite anything but I just wanna know who is your ISP.I have yet to hear of any ISP to offer 108mbs to a residential area and be affordable, unless you mean your connection to the router which would make more sense. Other than that I sure would love to hook up with them. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif6

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: N0LifeKing on 2006-12-05 15:08 ]</font>

i just have regular SBC global, and my router is D-link. it may be just my router but i doubt it...i cant find any other different internet connection speeds tht im getting. tho, i have no idea how i have 108MBPS, the only thing i know of is tht my uncle set up my internet connection and stuff, and hes litterally a computer genious, works at Yale university and stuff, if anyone can get a connection tht high, he can.

Merumeru
Dec 5, 2006, 06:51 PM
XD lag schmag, im fine with my bullet-time; as long as it doesnt slow to a halt, i dont give a damn XP i dodge, attack and change weapons just fine on the PS2

Saito S
Dec 5, 2006, 07:08 PM
KirinDave, you keep saying "just get the 360 ver" over and over as if it's the be-all end-all answer to this issue. Switching to a 360 is not such a simple solution. It may be the "Cheapest video game player + HD-DVD player on the market", but it's still quite expensive. And you basically asked if someone has a nice TV/AV setup, why wouldn't they want a 360? Well...maybe there aren't any games on the system that interest them. Would it be worth it to spend 400+ just to play a cleaner version of PSU? Plus, there are reasons to like the PS2 version better... Personally, I have a bunch of friends on the PS2/PC version, and don't know anyone on the 360 version; that is HUGELY important to me. And I happen to really dislike voice-chat. Since PC isn't an option for me...PS2 version it is. So those are a couple reasons why someone might not want to consider the 360 ver.

Not to mention that if someone had already put in some time on their characters, switching to 360 would mean starting over. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Mystil
Dec 5, 2006, 07:11 PM
The hell are you people talking about? The PS2 is called "Playstation 2 Computer Entertainment System". I just bought 520 x3 DDR SDRAM sticks and installed them. >_> Come on people.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

ChocoboChad
Dec 5, 2006, 07:11 PM
I get some slowdown on my PS2 (slim, if that matters), but it's usually not enough for me to complain about.

Lol, Guitarsmasher. That's so fast that it will go to the webpage before you even type in the URL. XD

But seriously, check out this site and test your speed. Speed test. (http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/)

KirinDave
Dec 5, 2006, 07:22 PM
On 2006-12-05 16:08, Blue_Flame wrote:
KirinDave, you keep saying "just get the 360 ver" over and over as if it's the be-all end-all answer to this issue.

Since it's not feasible to upgrade a PS2, a PS3 update doesn't do jack, and the OP says a computer update is out of the question, I'm just saying, "There is a console upgrade option ." If I push a little hard, it's only because there is a huge anti-360 prejudice on these boards for whatever reason.

Switching to a 360 is not such a simple solution. It may be the "Cheapest video game player + HD-DVD player on the market", but it's still quite expensive.

If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. The PC version is no different.

Personally, I have a bunch of friends on the PS2/PC version, and don't know anyone on the 360 version; that is HUGELY important to me. And I happen to really dislike voice-chat. Since PC isn't an option for me...PS2 version it is. So those are a couple reasons why someone might not want to consider the 360 ver.

Not to mention that if someone had already put in some time on their characters, switching to 360 would mean starting over. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sorry to go all android on you here, but these are social reasons to dismiss a technical problem, not a solution to a technical problem. That's perfectly okay, but it doesn't actually reduce the slowdown. While very valid reasons to do what you want to do, they don't mean that the problem is solved, only accepted. All the friends in the world wouldn't convince me to keep an unplayable version of the game. What fun is that for me?

Saito S
Dec 5, 2006, 07:52 PM
Well, I guess now that I think about it...I suppose what I was really saying in a way (in a very long-winded way) was that perhaps in some cases there IS no solution. If a person had major problems with PS2 slowdown, didn't want to switch to 360 cause their char is already lv 50 or whatever and they don't want to start over, and PC is not an option for them for whatever reason...kinda sunk there, eh? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif I guess I was more trying to point out that there are reasons - both relating to PSU and having nothing to do with PSU - why some wouldn't want to buy a 360.
And that's true, that there HAS been a lot of anti-360 sentiment. I can't speak for others, but for me personally, if you ever see me doing anything remotely resembling "360 hating" it is in response to more bashing of the PS2 version (of which there has also been a lot, you have to admit).
Getting back to the slowdown issues themselves...I don't find it to be anywehre NEAR "unplayable". The weapon-switching problem is there, but only occurs every now and then and NEVER more than maybe a couple seconds. Annoying at worst. Same with the slowdown.
As I mentioned before, the PS2 is a weird system. Some simply run this game better than others. Mine, thankfully, runs it quite well. *knocks on wood*

As for playing the game on a PS3...I have read posts (on other forums...though I thought I saw one here too) from people who said they have a PS3, have used it to play PSU online, and that all the technical issues of the PS2 version dissapeared. *shrug*

Garroway
Dec 5, 2006, 10:03 PM
I didn't mean to imply that the PS2 version is unplayable. In fact, I have no intentions of not playing the PS2 version, but that decision is based soley on the PS2's Role Playing population. Many people on this forum bash one version or the other without actualy playing the other version, and I believe that Zeta is absolutely correct when he says that they are merely trying to justify their own purchase. The 360 community seems to be under attack also but I actualy do like the 360 community. I know voice chat is an issue for some, but I have never actualy grouped with anyone where it was a problem. People seem to use voice chat and text chat interchangably, though I admit that the forums make it look as if the 360 community is a bunch of headset wearing Nazi's. Maybe it's different during the peak hours and we late-shifters are just more laid back but almost every argument one way or another has been blown way out of proportion. In my opinion I believe that the 360 version is superior, but not superior enough to justify the purchase of a 360 for this game alone. The 360 population is just as friendly as the PS2 population (not as many PSOWers specificaly but still good people). The PS2/PC population has an indisputably better Role Playing population (the 360's is almost non existant by comparison). It's my guess that everyone already knows which version is the right version for them, and they should be happy with their decision without feeling the need to get involved in the "my version is better" wars.

Unfortunately I believe that this particular issue will go unresolved because it is my observation that the PS2 is the version the OP wants to play, so the technical issues will have to be accepted as they are and part of the decision that was made.

McLaughlin
Dec 5, 2006, 10:14 PM
On 2006-12-05 16:52, Blue_Flame wrote:
As for playing the game on a PS3...I have read posts (on other forums...though I thought I saw one here too) from people who said they have a PS3, have used it to play PSU online, and that all the technical issues of the PS2 version dissapeared. *shrug*

They're bullshitting you. The game was programmed to use a certain amount of every resource. Adding more won't do anything.

Lag may disappear, but hardware limitations in the coding won't magically disappear.

N0LifeKing
Dec 6, 2006, 01:51 AM
On 2006-12-05 15:47, Guitarsmasher wrote:

On 2006-12-05 15:04, N0LifeKing wrote:

i just have regular SBC global, and my router is D-link. it may be just my router but i doubt it...i cant find any other different internet connection speeds tht im getting. tho, i have no idea how i have 108MBPS, the only thing i know of is tht my uncle set up my internet connection and stuff, and hes litterally a computer genious, works at Yale university and stuff, if anyone can get a connection tht high, he can.

The number that your're looking at is the connection to your router not your internet connection. To get that kinda of speed you have to uncap your cable modem but then you would be taking bandwidth from someone else and it wouldnt take long for your ISP to notice. But at 108mbs you could download a 30min. avi file in 2-3secs. Wouldnt that be nice http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif6

Pe-es-oh
Dec 6, 2006, 02:25 AM
The low fps isn't really that bad. Yea i know what you mean, new mob spawns, people start using techs and guns..
usually this doesn't take that long, just try to hit some enemies to get experience.

Who can't live with 5 secs of laggy gameplay.

ViciousXUSMC
Dec 6, 2006, 02:28 AM
wait till i get lvl 21+ spells ill be blowing playstations up http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

PrinceBrightstar
Dec 6, 2006, 02:52 AM
does anyone remember the N64 graphics update cart that was required for LOZ Mask of Majora? it is possible.

MegaBUD
Dec 6, 2006, 08:00 AM
On 2006-12-05 15:05, Zeta wrote:

NO IT WON'T.

And yeah, frame rate issues DO affect gameplay. Takes you longer to switch to another weapon, takes longer for that weapon to load, and until it loads you can't attack. Does it make the game unplayable? No, but it sure is a pain in the ass. You can't downplay the frame rate issues because some people base their purchases off opinions on these boards. To give an untruthful opinion to an impressionable buyer, and to have them make a purchase based on your opinion, only to have them get home and say "What the hell? This sucks!" is idiotic because you only praised it to justify your own purchase.

Caveat emptor.

lol... and i guess u never tried... too bad

from what i know the game run better... loading are faster... and theres less slowdown... and by the way, the emulator on the ps3 use all the ressource, so i want know where you found your information...

and im not a sony fanboy or something like that... i got a ps2 with a little "extra" and in canada its legal using a backup game... if you own the original (i got one, maybe)

but if he want stay in ps2/pc server... the best bet is still a ps3. or a computer

Zabot
Dec 6, 2006, 08:11 AM
alright listen, the best thing you could do is buy it for your computer and play it on the lowest settings to get smooth gameplay, thats what i do, i sold my 360 and bought a PS2 for my gf so we could play, it would probably be alright but the only problem is when we try and play in the same house, it lags up both the comp and the PS2 really somewhat.

As far as the upgrade thing, if you really want to experience smooth gameplay, like really good playing, sell or trade in your PS2, and get an xbox 360, seriously, i have played all platforms, i moved from the 360 to computer, and i play on PS2 sometimes (when im not playing final fantasy XII, or my NEW ELECTRIC GUITAR!!!) so i would really reccomend the 360 if your looking for smoother gameplay, not for community though. there are lots of good people on the 360, but the overall comunity consists of Little kids who think they are cool.

Hope this helped

Peace

Thoridan
Dec 6, 2006, 08:13 AM
On 2006-12-05 16:11, Mystil wrote:
The hell are you people talking about? The PS2 is called "Playstation 2 Computer Entertainment System". I just bought 520 x3 DDR SDRAM sticks and installed them. >_> Come on people.

Oh snap? for real?

How much it costs, how to do, and did it help lag on PSU? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Thoridan
Dec 6, 2006, 08:14 AM

Oh snap? for real?

How much it costs, how to do, and did it help lag on PSU? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Tzion
Dec 6, 2006, 09:10 AM
On 2006-12-06 05:14, Thoridan wrote:

Oh snap? for real?

Sarcasm.

Katrina
Dec 6, 2006, 09:23 AM
Just a side note I thought was interesting, and related (somewhat). In the latest issue of Game Informer, there's a page with a graph depicting all 3 next gen game systems, and the next gen games that each will have in common.

Phantasy Star Universe was listed under both the XBox 360, 'and' the Playstation 3.

Take it with a grain of salt, as GI has had errors in the past. The list specified games listed as next gen, specifically stating the list does not include pre gen cross compatible games.

Imho, it does make sense, a graphically updated version to coincide with the PS3. Who knows. I just thought it was interesting.

Sychosis
Dec 6, 2006, 09:46 AM
WTF? It does!

But then again the GI staff are mainly PS3 loving fanboys. In the past 3 issues I have seen waves of articles justifying PS3 purchases. It's sad.

A good console like the PS3 doesn't need sympathy articles to help it move, just look at those lines.

McLaughlin
Dec 6, 2006, 09:59 AM
On 2006-12-05 23:52, Jonathan_F wrote:
does anyone remember the N64 graphics update cart that was required for LOZ Mask of Majora? it is possible.

Except THE GAME WAS PROGRAMMED TO USE THE CARTRIDGE.

I don't recall Majora's Mask needing it, but I know Donkey Kong 64 came with one. I dunno, it never left my console.

As for the emulation, I sincerely doubt PSU runs on it any better. PS3 uses HARDWARE backwards compatibility, not like the 360's SOFTWARE backwards compatibility. They've stuck PS2 hardware in the console so it'll play the old titles. Software backwards compatibility allows Microsoft to tweak games to make them look/run better. With Hardware BC, the game is running on PS2 specs, regardless of the amount of resources present. The game is only programmed to recognize X amount of RAM, and any more RAM wouldn't be utilized.

I get my information from common sense.

EDIT: Game Informer is pretty much OPM2. They're counting PSU because the 360 has it, so it qualifies as "next gen" and it's on the PS2, which means it'll run (BUT EXACTLY THE SAME) on a PS3.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zeta on 2006-12-06 07:03 ]</font>

BurningRage
Dec 6, 2006, 10:26 AM
Majora's Mask did use the expansion pack, because I remember needing it before I could play it when I got it Christmas day.

McLaughlin
Dec 6, 2006, 10:33 AM
Oh. I just assumed it didn't need one because it wasn't bundled with the game. The one I got with DK64 never left my console so I never knew which games required it.

Kronovan
Dec 6, 2006, 04:51 PM
On 2006-12-05 12:20, Ruby-chan wrote:

On 2006-12-05 11:17, Thoridan wrote:

You could hook your PC up to said ginormous TV. If it's an HDTV it'll look great if your PC is any good. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Wrong, wrong; this is definitely not correct! You can't run PC games on an HDTV unless they support widescreen resolutions which PSU most definitely does not; stupid Sega! HDTV's aren't like widescreen VGA monitors that are capable of stretchng a 4:3 resolution to fit the wider screen.

If your 60" TV only supports 720p then you'd have to put up with extreme clipping of the top and bottom edges of the PSU window or running it in a 800x600 window. If you're lucky enough to have a 1080p HDTV you'd be able to run it in a 1280x1024 window. Of course you could always run it in a 1280x1024 window while outputting at 1080i but ouch, I value my eyes more than that!

I know, I have a good gaming rig that's only connected to my HDTV and the most I can get from PSU is running it in a 800x600 window; it's why I'm running the PS2 version. I've run other MMO's on my HDTV (WoW, DAoC, Eve Online) and they all look great because they all support widescreen resolutions.

Dymalos
Dec 6, 2006, 05:16 PM
Oddly enough the Xbox 360 version does indeed support Wide Screen @ 720p. As of November It will even upconvert to 1080p. I don't see why support for these resolutions isn't something that could be patched into the PC version. There just has to be demand for it.

SuperRygar
Dec 6, 2006, 06:03 PM
i've run into the same problem. its only going to lag if your looking at all the people doing their PA's. if you move the camera around,and have it look at the ground or off to the side you wont get the lag

watashiwa
Dec 6, 2006, 06:23 PM
On 2006-12-06 13:51, Kronovan wrote:
If your 60" TV only supports 720p then you'd have to put up with extreme clipping of the top and bottom edges of the PSU window or running it in a 800x600 window. If you're lucky enough to have a 1080p HDTV you'd be able to run it in a 1280x1024 window. Of course you could always run it in a 1280x1024 window while outputting at 1080i but ouch, I value my eyes more than that!

This isn't 100% true.

It is true if you hook up via component, but if you have an NVIDIA card that has dual DVI, you can use a DVI->HDMI cable and plug the video into your HDTV's HDMI port.. the Nvidia card then has an option to scale ANY output mode to your TV's native resolution.

I have a Sony XBR970 which has a native resolution of 1920x1080 (1080i) Although it can support 720P by doing upscaling on itsown..

I configured the HDMI output on my Nvidia 7950 GT to output to 720P regardless of the resolution.. and I play PSU at 800x600 scaled to 1280x720 on the HDTV.

It looks great.. 1024x768 is also great but then it forces my TV to 1080i.. and interlaced text isn't as easy to read as progressive text (since the XBR970's actual pixels displayed is actually less than 1024x768...)

If you have a nice LCD, Plasma or DLP TV that does HD and has an HDMI port, an Nvidia graphics card comboed with a DVI->HDMI cable will accomplish excellent results when playing PSU full screen. Scaling the display to fit your TV's native resolution all on the card..