PDA

View Full Version : They Don't Teach You

PJ
Dec 5, 2006, 03:24 PM
How to not panic

Eh, a short one. I'm in a bad mood cause I panicked during my driving test, hit the curb (Which I had only done once before) and made some wide turns, and failed.

That's it.

xxTrystanxx
Dec 5, 2006, 03:54 PM
Don't feel bad. When I took mine, a bunch of us from the driving school went together, as we were all going to use the school car for the test. The state trooper who was testing us told us we would each get two chances to parallel park. Which was a godsend since the driving school had sent home a letter basically stating that they felt highway driving was more important than parallel paring and that they wouldn't have time in the 30-hour class to teach us parallel parking. Our parents had to sign off on it saying that they would teach us to parallel park during the required 12 hours of driving time with a parent.

So I get into the car to take the test, and the first thing the state trooper has me do is parallel park. So I drive around to the side of the building where they two sets of cones set up to indicate other cars, and I needed to parallel park between them. I pulled up alongside and a bit further ahead of the space, but I must have backed up too far before cutting the wheel, so I ended up too far back and tapped one of the cones behind me. Not enough to knock it over, but they definitely made contact. Mr. State Trooper was not pleased. He made a gesture at me and I moved forward and started to line myself up again. He blurts out "What are you doing?" I said "Well, you said we get two chances to parallel park, right?" He said "I also told you to imagine those were $50,000 Mercedes Benzs, too. You want to hit the car again?" He then directed me to park the car in front of the RMV (Yes, in MA its called Registry of Motor Vehicles) and told me the test was over. I was so embarrassed.

The strange part about all that was, he showed me the paperwork, and it definitely said "FAIL" on it. But I got a license in the mail about a week later. I called the Driving school to find out what was going on, and they didn't know anything. I had my dad who's a firefighter have the police department run the license number. (The fire Dept. and Police are in the same building) and it was legal and valid. Heh, Maybe he had a bad day.

roygbiv
Dec 5, 2006, 04:53 PM
After my first mistake (minor) I assumed I would fail and that actually calmed me down for some reason... and I passed?

T0m
Dec 5, 2006, 08:16 PM
On 2006-12-05 13:53, roygbiv wrote:
After my first mistake I assumed I would fail and that actually calmed me down

Right after I started, I drove a few metres, and it didn't feel quite well. Then, while leaving the car park, the examiner dryly commented that it was customary to release the handbrake, while driving. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Do you have plans to try another time soon, PJ?

PJ
Dec 5, 2006, 08:49 PM
Well, the next time I can try is in 10 days. If I try again, and pass, that will be a great day http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I'm not so worried now, now that I know what's happening, it'll be REALLY easy XD But it'll cost me $40 I think

MasterJoel
Dec 6, 2006, 04:39 AM
do your really drive that bad? please, don't come to colorado without more experience.

on second thought, do, you're still better than the drivers here. =P

Daikarin
Dec 6, 2006, 05:25 AM
I started the exam accelerating without shifting into any gear. Took me a while to understand why the engine roared but the car didn't move. Then the engine died at some crossroads, gave a bit too little gas But I passed.

Just relax. You know how to drive. Don't let the pressure get to you. Take a walk before the exam, or do something to get your mind off it.

Dukelion
Dec 6, 2006, 07:25 PM
You did much better than any of my friends. I was the youngest person I knew in highschool to get a drivers liscense.

I had one friend that right as the driving test started he got to a stop sign...thought to himself "well theres no cops around..." and ran a stop sign. The examiner was sitting right next to him. He failed....also failed the next try also.

HURRAY!