PDA

View Full Version : Fact or Fiction:Luck effects random loot distribution?

DMG
Dec 6, 2006, 03:22 PM
During a game earlier, someone mentioned that party members with higher luck have a better chance to attain loot when it's set to 'random'

I've personally never noticed this, but... /shrug. Is this true, or just another urban legend?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DMG on 2006-12-06 12:22 ]</font>

MXdude
Dec 6, 2006, 03:23 PM
Iv noticed that the setting "Random" hates me ;_;

Dj_SkyEpic
Dec 6, 2006, 03:26 PM
The PSU bible states that only the leader's Luck governs the drop rate of the game. It didnt state anything concerning the distribution orders. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Umberger
Dec 6, 2006, 03:26 PM
From my years of viewing forums, I can tell you that 99% of the time "someone mentions" something, it's wrong.

Not saying they're wrong, but I'm going to say urban legend here.

DMG
Dec 6, 2006, 03:32 PM
^ This is my gut feeling too honestly, but my thirst for knowledge drove me to make this topic anyway, to get more insight on the subject.

JAFO22000
Dec 6, 2006, 03:36 PM
How about this...

Was in a party that had rares set to in order. 5 people in the party including myself and we found 8 total rares....I did not receive one of them! Seriously! I check my items at the time I noticed it and was at 46/60 (so it didn't skip me because I was full!), then I check my items to ensure that I didn't get anything...all I had was 1 Copernia and 1 Chicotite (both obtained earlier).

Umberger
Dec 6, 2006, 03:38 PM
The obvious answer:

You're a Newman Female. We get enough luck as it is, let everyone else have a chance. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

JAFO22000
Dec 6, 2006, 03:42 PM
Tee hee!

Yeah, that is true! I didn't really research it much when it happened, but it was strange...after seeing 5 or 6 rares, I was thinking "Hey, I didn't get one yet!"

Guess it makes up for the time I was partying with 5 other, had rares set to random and over 1 1/2 runs, I had been selected to receive ALL five! When I got the sixth (Grinder Base A), I felt so bad that I dropped it for someone else. THEN I got the seventh (Nanoresin) and the whole party was like "Hey, you can drop that TOO, ya know!!".

It was uncanny though. 7 rares in a row.

lordzanon
Dec 6, 2006, 03:42 PM
That follows the same bull as people saying getting s ranks = more rare drops than getting an A rank or lower, which is bull.

Im completely sure that luck has nothing to do with getting more drops than others in a random drop setting, if so then no one will ever use that setting and it would be completely pointless for sega to implement it.

some people just have luck winning things (not the ingame luck) This was seen in wow tons of times, 1 person getting all the good loot in a random setting, the person was quickly called a hacker.

XHunter
Dec 6, 2006, 03:43 PM
Well in some games it seems like the person with luck gets every thing and some games it seems like it is evenly randomly distributed. But in any case random is random....it could go to 1 person 5 times in a row....just cause it's random....so just stick with the order...that works best most of the time.

Dj_SkyEpic
Dec 6, 2006, 03:48 PM
On 2006-12-06 12:43, XHunter wrote:
Well in some games it seems like the person with luck gets every thing and some games it seems like it is evenly randomly distributed. But in any case random is random....it could go to 1 person 5 times in a row....just cause it's random....so just stick with the order...that works best most of the time.

But order resets after you enter the next block and pick up a rare. So the one that didnt get anything in the first block would have to wait until the ordered drops enter his/her inventory.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dj_SkyEpic on 2006-12-06 12:49 ]</font>

physic
Dec 6, 2006, 04:22 PM
sounds like order for rares blows badly. honestly all systems are seeming to suck more iwth time

Shaidar
Dec 6, 2006, 04:47 PM
I always go with random rares. Random is random so no one *should* complain.

For all I know luck doesnt affect the itemshare within the party at all. Not to mention it would be quite stupid if it did.

Dymalos
Dec 6, 2006, 05:21 PM
Every game I start is set to Rares: Random and Normal: Set in Order. Of course I usually only play with my two friends from real life. One of my buddies always gets the rares when he's with us, he plays a Newman Female. I tend to get the rares when it's just me and my male cast friend. My character is a female beast so the cast has resorted to calling this phenomenon 'Boob luck'.

DoubleJG
Dec 6, 2006, 05:28 PM
This is fiction.

Golto
Dec 6, 2006, 05:57 PM
Its been my experience that in order for rares only resets if the party changes ie someone joins or leaves. The order carried over for my party from mission to mission if the members didn't change.

The luck stat has nothing to do with getting loot w/ the random setting. I've been in groups where the same character got the only 2-3 rares when having 0 luck a few times.