PDA

View Full Version : Concerns about PSU on Xbox 360

Zubon
Dec 6, 2006, 06:27 PM
I've been playing PSU on my 360 recently, but haven't yet taken it online. I'm certainly intending to though, but I was worried about a few things.

Mainly, I'm quite apprehensive that the 360 version of PSU will rapidly become as ignored as the original Xbox PSO is now. The 360 has sold even less units than the original Xbox, particularly in Japan* and not to be pessimistic, but I can't see why PSU will fare any better on the new Xbox than PSO did on the old one, particularly as both the console and the game are less popular than their last manifestations.

Even if the worst case scenario doesn't happen, one of the problems with PSO on the original Xbox was that it had less content than the GC version as well as other annoying little differences (for the worst). Is the 360 PSU similar in this respect?

Assuming that money is no object, is it worth buying the PS2 version of PSU for online play? (Edit: Actually, I just remembered that it's on PC too, so forget this question.) As a side note, the 360 version suffers from frequent slowdown, and considering that it's technically more than capable of running the game, I wonder if it's just been badly converted to the 360 - it was clearly intended mainly for the PS2.

* Although Blue Dragon is seen as some sort of saviour of the 360 in Japan, it's yet to be seen how true this actually is; it was in the top 10 most wanted games in Famitsu recently, but it's received next to no pre-orders.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zubon on 2006-12-06 15:36 ]</font>

JAFO22000
Dec 6, 2006, 06:35 PM
Nobody knows what the future will hold...

Seriously, though there are going to be players (me being one of them!) who will support the 360 version until the very end. Right now, the community is still pretty strong, though I'm pretty sure that will change when H3 is realeased (fall-winter 2007). I have met some nice players, however if it's not finanically viable for Sega to upkeep the 360 servers, then they won't do it.

That being said, there are some upsides to the 360 version; mainly the fact that PSU is the only online RPG out for it (unless you count FFXI{I???}, which is irrelevant now). PS2 will start dying out as people upgrade to PS3 and there are just TONS of other online RPG's for the PC.

Right now, even pre-update when a lot of people are spending time with other games until Friday, I have never had a problem finding friends online or finding a good PUG at any time of day on the 360 version. On any planet. Word.

Blicen
Dec 6, 2006, 06:35 PM
You'll experience slowdown on all versions of the game, even if you have a kickass computer to run it.

The game is just poorly optimized for the PS2/360/PC. Now in terms of player base, I think the PS2/PC version is the way to go.
Primarily due to the fact that there are more PS2/PC owners NA then there are 360 owners. But you also must keep in mind that
There are actually alot of 360 players on these forums, and I think you'd find a better experience on the 360 out of the box.. Due to built in voice communication functions.

I myself play on the PC/PS2, I bought both copies of em.. I have broken the barrier of not having voice support on PC/PS2 by actually getting a fairly large and high quality Ventrilo server for PC users an PS2 users alike.. We actually have alot of PS2 users sit by their computer and talk on Ventrilo while they play on a PS2.

Then again, this is all about what you get out of the box as soon as you pop the PSU disk in.. And I'd probably say that the 360 version is by far the best one in terms of hardware. And its the only version of PSU to support widescreen, and all those other goodies.

To sum everything up though, make the decision based on where alot of your PSO-W / real life friends etc play. I think thats the best way to do it.. Because either way, the whole experience of PSU is based upon the people you play with. If all my friends went 360 on me, I would absolutely join them. But, all of mine joined PS2/PC.. So that is where I decided to join in http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif.

Either way, I don't regret it. I could careless about graphics and performance.. Aslong as I'm playing with my friends then its all fine and dandy with me.

Dymalos
Dec 6, 2006, 06:37 PM
If you don't want to play on Xbox 360 then don't play on Xbox 360. I myself play on Xbox 360 and while I am enjoying the experience so far, I don't have any insight into what may or may not happen on this version. I seriously doubt anyone who frequents this board would have that kind of information.

Here is what I can tell you. Even in the dead of night and early morning Universe 1 always has at least 4 stars. The shops in this version of the game are always stocked and for the most part at reasonable prices. Not to mention, that there isn't a single item currently available that can't be found in the player shops.

Certainly if you're looking at historical indicators, then the prospects look dim. On the other hand, both the Playstation 2, P.C., and Xbox 360 versions of Phantasy Star Universe had the same slated release date. Not to mention that Sega of America seems to be releasing the updates for all versions simultaneously.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dymalos on 2006-12-06 15:46 ]</font>

KirinDave
Dec 6, 2006, 06:40 PM
Given the current market shape, it looks like the PC/PS2 version may end up in the minority. The Xbox 360 sales are trending upwards, and the PS/2 is obsolete.

If it's any consolation, our Universe 1 is nearly always 4.5/5 stars, during peak playing time we'll be full up to universe 3. Our Xbox 360 PSOW meet'n'greet even was unbelievably huge, too.

MayLee
Dec 6, 2006, 06:44 PM
Don't under estimate the power of the loyal 360 players. I was true to the PSO back in the day on the Xbox. I think after a couple more things are released..you'll see a major increase in players. I still don't see why sharing servers with the PC and PS2 is such a problem. We did it before..Well for the GC and PC anyway.

JAFO22000
Dec 6, 2006, 06:46 PM
..and you never know. As the game goes on and people stop playing on ALL formats, perhaps they will put EVERYONE on the same server....could happen....maybe.....probably not....but possible....not plausable, but possible!!

PALRAPPYS
Dec 6, 2006, 06:50 PM
Oh so you think that the 360 version is going to go bad, eh? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Nah, it's doing great! You're constantly seeing new people coming on (Sunday was HOT for new players for some reason... or was it Monday???)! And plus, Sega's still giving us the updates along with PS2/PC, so we'll stay good for some more time even if they ditch us. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Zubon
Dec 6, 2006, 06:52 PM
Thanks for your replies.

I wasn't asking for any factual information - I didn't expect someone from Sonic Team to be on here and to say "Oh man! You have the 360 version, well you're screwed because we're shutting down the servers tomorrow!". I just wanted to see what the general sentiment on the different versions was.

Bearing in mind that the Xbox had sold more by this point (worldwide) than the 360 has, and that PSO got neglected pretty fast on that system, I was just apprehensive about paying £40 + £7/month for something that may end sooner than we'd all like - particularly if it has less subscribers to begin with. I'd also imagine that PSU will get either a PS3 release or be made compatible if Sony are planning that sort of "service". In that case, it will be on the PS2/PC servers. I think it's only natural to be cautious in those circumstances. In addition, only one of my friends has a console at all, and that's a PS2. He certainly won't be playing PSU online though, so that doesn't influence my choice.

Really, this was all spurred by two pieces of information I just read on this very site. One; the Xbo PSO has had Christmas in the lobby for the past year. Two; the PC and PS2 servers are shared, whereas the 360 is isolated. The truly scary thing is that if the 360 version goes the way of Xbox PSO, out characters will also probably be deleted. At least with PSO before your character was stored locally.

Anyway, I don't enjoy sounding so negative so I'll just press on with the 360 version for now (whatever happens it's what I'll be playing Story and Extra modes on) and see how it goes. Maybe I'll see some of you online within the week.

JAFO22000
Dec 6, 2006, 07:01 PM
Whoa, if you're from the UK, I would definitely recommend the 360 version. UK users are linked with both US and Japanese users on 360. You will be seperated on PS2/PC (I think).

Blueblur
Dec 6, 2006, 07:04 PM
I'm on 360 and I'm cancelling my account. Enough said.

FlakariLeader
Dec 6, 2006, 07:04 PM
On 2006-12-06 16:01, JAFO22000 wrote:
Whoa, if you're from the UK, I would definitely recommend the 360 version. UK users are linked with both US and Japanese users on 360. You will be seperated on PS2/PC (I think).

Servers are linked on PS2/PC as well.

Zubon
Dec 6, 2006, 07:05 PM
Is that so? Wow, that's pretty useful to know! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

With the DC version I could definitely go onto the US/JP servers, and I'm fairly sure I could with the GC - can't remember with the Xbox - but I can imagine the PS2 network being a lot more basic and underdeveloped.

Edit *sees the new post above, written while I was making this post*

Ah...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zubon on 2006-12-06 16:06 ]</font>

AnamanaAU
Dec 6, 2006, 07:07 PM
Unfortunatly, 360 will end up having a stronger community, because of the japanese players.

Zubon
Dec 6, 2006, 07:08 PM
On 2006-12-06 16:04, Blueblur wrote:

Oh how come? By the way, Sega and Microsoft are still trying to charge my friend's credit card for XBL and the Hunter's License from last time... -_-

Dymalos
Dec 6, 2006, 07:10 PM
From the use of your pound sign it seems like you're British or Scotish. I've had alot of awesome late night sessions with Brits and Scots as well as the one time I had a few good runs with a Spanish gentleman (I am fluent in Spanish).

One thing to keep in mind is that the Xbox 360 version is international while the other versions are each self contained within their markets. On the 360 we've got an influx of Europeans and the game has yet to have it's Japanese release.

I certainly don't have any illusions that we will have a playerbase anywhere near that of the PS2/P.C. (The P.C. version does not have a serial key and thusly alot of people are acquiring it through torrents and signing up). But with the help of Europe and Japan I think we stand a good chance of remaining statistically significant. And in the end that's all that matters.

MayLee
Dec 6, 2006, 07:12 PM
On 2006-12-06 16:04, Blueblur wrote:

We'll miss you. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Golto
Dec 6, 2006, 07:16 PM
The 360 is getting the same update as ps2/pc on the 8th/9th correct? I don't see a direct correlation bewteen what happened to pso:xbox - pso:gc and psu:360 -psu:ps2/pc since psu came out around the same time on all 3 platforms. You'd think they just have to run the patch through a platform converter program or none at all since it is just a few megs of raw data and not gfx/models ect added.

Zubon
Dec 6, 2006, 07:18 PM
Dymalos: It's good to hear that you've had some good times with UK players, but I think I should fill you in on something: Scots are British! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Britain is the name for the island which contains the countries England, Scotland and Wales. Add in Northern Ireland and you have the UK. I can understand how that would be confusing though. Let's see... to give some examples... Anthony Hopkins (from Silence of the Lambs) is Welsh, as is the guy in Notting Hill who comes to the door in his underwear. Ewan McGregor (Star Wars eps I - III) is Scottish and, er, well pretty much everyone else who you think of as being British is probably English (Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom, for example). I'm English myself. There, you learn a new thing every day... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Genobee
Dec 6, 2006, 07:18 PM
I never noticed slow down on my PC or Lag, I wouldn't say PSU is a game worth buying a 360 over, but if you have one already, go ahead and use it, I also run PSU on my lap top with wireless internet with very little problems.

Also I highly doubt the population will influx very much on 360 when the JP servers get linked up with EU and NA. Not alot of people actualy bought one and also noy all of them will probly buy PSU on 360. It realy doesn 't make sense. It would be like buying the demo for the same price as the full version when the full version is already out. They never relect it but the PC is the biggest ssystem to play games there.

Dymalos
Dec 6, 2006, 07:21 PM
Oh, I know, but a few Scots I've talked to would take offense at that insinuation. So uh... better safe than sorry eh?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dymalos on 2006-12-06 16:21 ]</font>

MayLee
Dec 6, 2006, 07:34 PM
I just ask if they are UK so I wont offend them by accident.

Sychosis
Dec 6, 2006, 07:37 PM
I'm quite surprised at the size of the 360 community. By most accounts from people who have GLs on both, the 360 is consistently more active, if only by a small margin.

Putting it into perspective you realize that half the NA/EU players are on a 360. While the other half is split between two platforms. I wonder how small each of them would be if they were split?

Zubon
Dec 6, 2006, 07:44 PM
Well, I basically, people from the UK only tend to get called British by Americans, and no-one here would ever refer to themselves as British, rather calling themselves Welsh/English/Scottish/Irish. I don't mind, since all 4 cultures are so similar anyway - it would be like a Californian saying "Hey, I'm not American I'm CALIFORNIAN" in many ways. Even though the accents are very different, it's quite possible that they relocated - like my friend's dad, who has a very strong Scottish accent but is actually English - so I can imagine it being a real nightmare trying to figure out exactly which of the 4 countries people from the UK are from.

MayLee
Dec 6, 2006, 07:49 PM
On 2006-12-06 16:37, Sychosis wrote:
I'm quite surprised at the size of the 360 community. By most accounts from people who have GLs on both, the 360 is consistently more active, if only by a small margin.

Putting it into perspective you realize that half the NA/EU players are on a 360. While the other half is split between two platforms. I wonder how small each of them would be if they were split?

I would think small but the PC version would be a larger population.

Zubon
Dec 6, 2006, 08:06 PM
Oh, this is really nothing to do with my decision but just out of interest, is it possible to take screenshots on the 360 version, or is that just for the PC?

Knowbodie
Dec 6, 2006, 08:08 PM
No, but there is a way to take screenshots from the 360 when it is hooked up to a pc.

Sychosis
Dec 6, 2006, 08:09 PM
You need a video capture card for your PC.

pineapple
Dec 6, 2006, 08:16 PM
On 2006-12-06 15:35, Blicen wrote:
Then again, this is all about what you get out of the box as soon as you pop the PSU disk in.. And I'd probably say that the 360 version is by far the best one in terms of hardware. And its the only version of PSU to support widescreen, and all those other goodies.

How does the PC version not support widescreen? I guess I'll be getting the 360 version whenever I actually get one. The PC version doesn't seem to take advantage of anything a PC does...

Sychosis
Dec 6, 2006, 08:22 PM
I'm not sure why it doesn't. It just doesn't, and it is stupid as hell.

Zubon
Dec 6, 2006, 08:30 PM
This is totally OT, but it didn't seem worth making up a new thread for a question that will probably just have a "yes" or "no" answer...

Will the new content coming on Friday apply to the offline modes of PSU, or just the online game?

Sekani
Dec 6, 2006, 08:31 PM
Something no one mentioned yet is that the communities are different as well. The PC/PS2 version seems to have more "hardcore" players, while the 360 version has more nonchalant goof-offs. Actually a lot of people on these forums will bash the 360 players as idiots who don't know how to play since a lot of them don't take the game as seriously. The PC/PS2 version also has a larger group of roleplayers if that's your thing. There are, of course, exceptions, but this was just my observation.

Also if you're concerned about online cheating, there are already reports of exploits on the PC/PS2 version. The more secure 360 version hasn't been "hacked" yet.

Sychosis
Dec 6, 2006, 08:31 PM
Online only.

Genobee
Dec 6, 2006, 08:42 PM
On 2006-12-06 17:31, Sekani wrote:
Also if you're concerned about online cheating, there are already reports of exploits on the PC/PS2 version. The more secure 360 version hasn't been "hacked" yet.

Well no but they can easily hack your gamer tag if they like and steal all your crap. Thats not segas problem, but non the less it's still pretty bad. So it doesn't make 360 100% safe.

Sychosis
Dec 6, 2006, 08:45 PM
A lot of that gamer tag "hacking" story has been called into question. And Jinx isn't answering.

Sekani
Dec 6, 2006, 08:56 PM
On 2006-12-06 17:42, Genobee wrote:
Well no but they can easily hack your gamer tag if they like and steal all your crap. Thats not segas problem, but non the less it's still pretty bad. So it doesn't make 360 100% safe.

I try not to confuse "hacking" with people being careless with their Gamertag, which sounds like the case with Jinx or whatever his name was.

I'm also not naive enough to think that cheating on the 360 will never happen, but the difference between the two versions in that aspect is like night and day.

Maskim
Dec 6, 2006, 10:12 PM
I got the 360 version at NA release. It's fun, I'm in no way saying it's not. A couple of weeks ago I switched to the PC/PS2 servers though, switching back and forth between my laptop and my ps2. I have to say, that personally, I'm glad I switched, and wouldn't go back to the 360. I don't like the voice chat that much, and listening to people spend 2 hours of runs talking of nothing but a football game from nearly a week ago...well, I'll just say that me, when I go to play a game, I want to play the game. Not listen to so and so is such a better running back than what's his name.

Thrash777
Dec 6, 2006, 10:35 PM
A lot of people have 360's now... and it won't be long before they outsell their original version...

As far as PSU is concerned... if you saw the meet up on the 2nd, that was crazy, with about 200 people FROM THIS SITE alone! lol

I think one full star represents about 500 people (correct me if I'm wrong), and the first TWO uni's are usually full during prime time and rush hour, with uni 3 half full, and thats about 7500 on those uni's, let alone the people on all the other uni's with half stars (30 in total)...

The PC/PS2 servers don't have that many more people than the 360 as you might think... in the end, it boils down to personal preference, and not because one is better than the other...

And the game hasn't been out very long, and christmas is coming, so I reckon by new year, communities will be buzzing! Especially with all the new content!

hucast21
Dec 6, 2006, 10:45 PM
On 2006-12-06 17:45, Sychosis wrote:
A lot of that gamer tag "hacking" story has been called into question. And Jinx isn't answering.

Exactly. Xbox Live service will ask you for your address, credit card number, birthdate, etc.

Anybody else that believes Jinx's story need to call 1-800-MY-XBOX and ask for a password change request.

Listen to what the rep will ask you.

FenixStryk
Dec 6, 2006, 10:50 PM
IMHO, 360 PSU will have just as much longevity as the PC version, if not more, since it is less prone to hacking and will have Japanese players to boot. Also consider that voice chat is built-in and we get the same content as the other versions at the same time.

I'm not going anywhere anytime soon... until Phantom Dust becomes backwards compatible =p

Ryoga4523
Dec 13, 2006, 04:32 PM
uh... not that i am cancelling cause I thoroughly enjoy playing PSU, but how do you exactly cancel PSU on the 360?

Marik
Dec 13, 2006, 06:24 PM
Pappy admitted to stealing Jinx and SpaceAce's Gamertags and taking their items.

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=932621&topic=32377594

hucast21
Dec 13, 2006, 06:37 PM
On 2006-12-13 15:24, Marik wrote:
Pappy admitted to stealing Jinx and SpaceAce's Gamertags and taking their items.

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=932621&topic=32377594

Yes, I can't believe MS would employ inept techs.

McLaughlin
Dec 13, 2006, 06:41 PM
No one EVER makes an alternate account on Gamefaqs. EVER.

It must be true. I mean, some guy claiming to be Pappy said it was, so it must be.

And "WTF" to the people asking how to do it.