PDA

View Full Version : Does SEGA really delete characters that aren't used...

DarkSeph
Dec 7, 2006, 03:14 AM
the title says it all....also, are their any specifics where they would delete a character say if a person made chars over and over to get the armor/parts to make a armor pm?

I saw a post awhile back where someone was complaining about their character being deleted for not being used so that is why I'm asking...thanx

RussInDaHill
Dec 7, 2006, 03:43 AM
I don't think so ...My bb accoun was idle for over a year and they did not delete it...came back a year later and was able to use the same char ....that was sweet

BioWarrior
Dec 7, 2006, 03:49 AM
If they delete characters... theres usually a disclaimer on the box or manual for games

drizzle
Dec 7, 2006, 04:08 AM
They guarantee that they won't delete the character for at least 3 months. After that, maybe, maybe not.... most MMOs I've played don't actually delete old characters. PSU hasn't really been around long enough to know, really http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Tsudori
Dec 7, 2006, 04:41 AM
If u wanna keep old characters all you have to do is to remember to quickly sign in with em once every 3 months and ur set for life. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

DarkSeph
Dec 7, 2006, 04:49 AM
I just realized.....maybe that guy was referring to the Japan PSU chars he had and when they reset things he lost them....not sure, oh well......I'm sure I'll log into them at least once every 2 weeks....afterall, they will have my armor, technic, and ranged pm's http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif (I'm not paying high prices for armor, no sir!)

AlMcFly
Dec 7, 2006, 06:55 AM
On 2006-12-07 01:49, DarkSeph wrote:
I just realized.....maybe that guy was referring to the Japan PSU chars he had and when they reset things he lost them....not sure, oh well......I'm sure I'll log into them at least once every 2 weeks....afterall, they will have my armor, technic, and ranged pm's http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif (I'm not paying high prices for armor, no sir!)

Lol, let's get one thing clear. As long as you use at least one character on your account, they won't delete anything. Just because you don't use your other 3 character slots ever, doesn't mean they are going to delete them but leave your main. If they are going to delete your characters, it'll be all of them or none of them. Jesus, where the hell do you kids come up with this shit.

P.S. You will end up spending more money on making your own armor. Don't ask me to explain, just research it. I am right.

zimmk2vgc
Dec 7, 2006, 07:05 AM
I believe there is a disclaimer somewhere that says that they reserve the right to delete them if the account as not been signed into for 3 months. They only do this so they have room for new customers. Unless PSU becomes incredibly popular, I think that our static accounts will live just fine.

Genobee
Dec 7, 2006, 08:17 AM
yea in the manual it says they will delete idle characters, Not cool sega..... I don't feel like paying 6 months so you can unlock content I already bought, and now I'm gonna loose the 230 hours I already put into my character?? ??? enjoy your 60 bucks sega you dirty bastard...

Neith
Dec 7, 2006, 08:51 AM
People left Blue Burst and returned after a year, and had their characters intact.

Sega are probably too lazy to delete characters anyway.

SabZero
Dec 7, 2006, 08:56 AM
There's really no technical reason to delete characters anyway - the amount of data is very small.... They can also just move it to backups and restore in case customer returns. *shrugs*

Genobee
Dec 7, 2006, 08:58 AM
it keeps poeple playing thats why. if you threaten to delete it, they will keep paying in order to keep from loosing all the time the spent on it.

MORB
Dec 7, 2006, 09:05 AM
Characters probably take only a few hundred bytes, and hard disks are cheap nowadays. I don't see why they'd bother trimming unused characters. Other online games that allow you to create many more characters than PSU rarely ever do it, and usually more to free character names than to save space.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MORB on 2006-12-07 06:07 ]</font>

Vorpal
Dec 7, 2006, 09:53 AM
Is it really fair to delete idle character's? They paid, so basically if they did they would only rob the money from the people.

I would only be ok if the person was level 5 or lower.

Sinue_v2
Dec 7, 2006, 12:10 PM
LISTEN

Sega will NOT delete idle characters. This in NOT a concern. Think of your monthly fee as partially rent. You're renting space on the servers to store your characters. Weither you play them or not is of no concern to Sega. Just like a landlord won't care if you're actually living in an apartment you're renting. So long as you keep making payments, you're allowed to come and go as you see fit.

Sega has instituted a 3-month inactivity deletion period. Inactivity meaning, you're not paying - reguardless of weither or not your playing. It provides them the right to delete your character to save space on the servers. Weither they actually delete your characters or not - is up to them. It's their server.

Perhaps in future versions they'll impliment some sort of download feature so that you can keep your character information after the servers have shut down, or if you decide to stop paying your monthly fee - but don't count on it. Even on the off chance they might actually consider such an option - you would not be able to upload your characters again. If you decided to start paying to play again, you would have to start from scratch. This is a dissuasion to playing online, so as I said, I wouldn't hold out much hope for that sort of an option.

Candor
Dec 7, 2006, 12:42 PM
I never thought any company would delete characters. I have about 10+ characters on WoW and if I were to go back to it at any time I'd still have those 10+ characters. WTF Sega?

Sinue_v2
Dec 7, 2006, 01:25 PM
They may, they may not delete characters on inactive accounts.

It only means that they reserve the RIGHT to delete your characters. Just as WoW reserves the right to delete characters on an inactive account.

SabZero
Dec 7, 2006, 01:30 PM
Oh, I thought the question was about a canceled subscription. They still should save the data.

Miyoshi
Dec 7, 2006, 01:31 PM
Hmmm I'm not sure, but I think it will be quite stupid, if someone wants to come back to the old char and they can't because it's been deleted they will be furious http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Zubon
Dec 7, 2006, 02:52 PM
People seem to be all talking about slightly different things here.

It's safe to assume that they won't delete your account if you're still paying, well, unless the game dies. Even then, the Xbox PSO servers are still running, if totally neglected. It's as some people have said, if you pay for it then they'll keep your account active, as to delete it yet to still charge you would be theft. I don't think Sega have fallen so low just yet.

What my concern is, and maybe some other people's in this thread, is that if you get bored of PSU and stop playing and paying for a while - or if you have to stop playing and paying for some reason (move house and can't get internet, or have university exams, lots of work, go traveling, or even something rarer like get married or something and just give up on it for a while) what happens if you then return to PSU after those 3 months or more? You start playing (and paying) again but your character is no more.

So in essence, even if for whatever reason you want to stop playing PSU, you'll feel inclined to keep on paying for the sole reason of keeping your character alive for the future. That's like your memory card or HDD charging you £6 a month to work.

I mean, I played PSO on DC, GC and Xbox. On each of those consoles, apart from DC, I stopped and started playing so many times, often with gaps way larger than 3 months in between. It didn't matter though, 'cause whenever I returned my characters were always on my memory card/HDD. Naturally, I stopped paying in the intervening months, so theoretically, if that was PSU and not PSO, each time I'd have to have started from scratch.

Another thing - different but still related - is that with PSO you could stop playing online but still use the character offline. I mean, in 50 years time if there's no Xbox Live! and no Sega, I can still play with my PSO characters but not my PSU characters. In that sense it feels kind of scary to have the character stored online. ;_;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zubon on 2006-12-07 11:53 ]</font>

Flamingo99
Dec 7, 2006, 03:11 PM
so wait.... are we talking about accounts that we are paying for, or accounts that we stoped paying for? If they delete one of my characters (while my account is still active) just because I decided not to use it for a period of time, that would piss me off.

Zubon
Dec 7, 2006, 03:14 PM
Yeah, see what I mean about everyone talking about different things. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

No, they won't delete characters as long as you're paying (though who knows what will happen towards the end of PSU's life?) but if you stop paying then they "reserve the right" to delete your account after 3 months. To be honest though, stopping paying will very often go hand in hand with stopping playing... I mean, if you stop playing for 3+ months, why would you still want to pay (apart from in this case, to keep your character "alive")?