PDA

View Full Version : ROTFL I'm screwed when I get old.

Mystil
Dec 7, 2006, 09:12 AM
SUNNY PERDUE TO CUT RETIRMENT BENEFITS.

LOL!

Not only will I need to be 67 1/2 in order to recieve SSI, but now it will be like getting allowance(here my son, 2$ for you ^_^).

Why is this funny? Because the goverment seems to want the US to have the highest fatality rate. Who wants to work til they croak on the job?? Don't say pension cause jobs are trying to pull away from that.

HUnewearl_Meira
Dec 7, 2006, 11:14 AM
You're supposed to save up for your own retirement. That's why we have things like 401k's. Social Security was meant to be a temporary aid to ease the Great Depression.

Personally, it doesn't seem to be that much a problem to me. I'll be lucky if I live to 50. Enjoy your retirement.

ABDUR101
Dec 7, 2006, 11:33 AM
Yeah, social security isn't all that much. It can help sustain you so you don't starve, and offer abit extra for other necessities, but it's no different than unemployment checks, you're not supposed to expect them to take care of your entire living expenses. As for needing to be 67, thats not outrageous. Shit, when did you even intend to retire? My mom and dad are nearing sixty and they can't retire anytime soon. I have no doubts that my dad, if need be, would work until his dieing day. No, he would'nt enjoy it, but he'd do it if he had to.

Aswell, you're what, 24? If Perdue is screwing over retirement benefits and you can find a place that still offers them, go there, you're young, atleast you can change where you work without much effect in the end. Not like my dad can just swap his career or try to find somewhere other than Nitterhouse Concrete, he's already got a home, family and years with the current company, changing now would give him much less and put more strain on him.

What you need to do, is start putting in as much as you can to that 401k. I thought I was fortunate enough to be working for a company that would match what I put in(I put 3% in, the company would put 3% in) only to find out toward the end of my work with them after six years, that they had been embezzling money and NOT making the payments toward the 401k's of most of the employees. Needless to say I'm not working there anymore.

Mystil
Dec 7, 2006, 11:34 AM
I'm gonna do that 401K stuff when I make a little more money. For right now I just dump in my checking account.