PDA

View Full Version : Grenade Launcher or Laser Cannon

purplehaze
Dec 8, 2006, 08:55 PM
Which would you recommend and why? This is for a Fortegunner, btw.

ProfessorZ
Dec 8, 2006, 08:58 PM
Laser Cannon. Absolutely love it. Really good for the S rank mission because you're always running around trying to get a perfect shot http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif. But it runs out of PP too quicklyso use it carefully

Diablohead
Dec 8, 2006, 09:08 PM
Grenades are for splash damage and lazers hit in a row right? I guess its a choice depending on your play style.

Realmz
Dec 8, 2006, 09:08 PM
i personally love how the grenade launcher looks and works. it fires a ball og photons into the air in an arc, which explodes once it hits the ground (kinda like Diga) it's got some really good power behind it and almost twice the PP of the laser cannons. When the photon ball hits, it damages something like five enemies and knocks them back as well, i think at lv 30 it was lv 3 SE. problem is the photon ball is only a little faster then say barta. because it is an AoE it can hit bosses multipul points.

the laser cannon has a higher PP use, and i hear only has lv 1 SEs on it even at 30. but it will be a lot easier to find the good shots since its laser is faster and is a pierce. However it has a rather low PP pool, and can only hit bosses in one section.

keep in mind this is only what i've heard, i've used the cannon in extra mode, but never touched the launcher.

i'm going with the launcher personally

BooChan
Dec 8, 2006, 09:29 PM
yep

Realmz
Dec 8, 2006, 09:52 PM
On 2006-12-08 18:08, Diablohead wrote:
Grenades are for splash damage and lazers hit in a row right? I guess its a choice depending on your play style.

good way to look at it.

more people need to think and make a choice for themselves instead of following what everyone else says.

(i do kinda plan to get both, just not right off the bat, not enough money...)

Ronzeru
Dec 8, 2006, 09:58 PM
Get both.

Snickers
Dec 8, 2006, 10:49 PM
When I first saw the laser cannon I wanted to make a face macro with me shouting "TETSUO!!" for when I was firing on bosses http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Banert
Dec 8, 2006, 11:11 PM
On 2006-12-08 19:49, Snickers wrote:
When I first saw the laser cannon I wanted to make a face macro with me shouting "TETSUO!!" for when I was firing on bosses http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

It's all good until something shouts back "Kaneda!"

Realmz
Dec 8, 2006, 11:21 PM
On 2006-12-08 19:49, Snickers wrote:

Imma firin' ma lazar?

Shade-
Dec 9, 2006, 02:05 AM
I love the grenade gun. It's so fun to fire on groups of enemies and send them flying. It's really REALLY effective if you can get a few backed into a corner. Just keep firing and they will never be able to stand up. The downside is there is no way to fire at point blank range. It will only detonate once hit hits the ground, so if you are alone, or otherwise outnumbered, it's a little iffy. I love it though, I'm definatly going to cary several with me at all times from now on.

ChyronType0
Dec 9, 2006, 04:19 AM
Grenade. Laser just doesn't have the damage output or status effect ability right now. The grenade can do both.

Lastat27
Dec 9, 2006, 06:41 AM
Heres my findings after playing with these two weapons all day long. I am a Fortegunner named Lastat. I bought two Laser Cannons and two Grenade Launchers with the four corresponding elemental bullets.

Laser Cannon:
The Laser Cannon has the EXACT same ATP as a 7 star Rifle. In other words, they do the exact same damage as a Rifle per shot. The Laser Cannon however fires twice as slow as a Rifle and uses twice as much PP as a Rifle. What does this equal out to? Terrible damage per second and terrible damage per PP spent.

The shot of each laser "pierces" mobs to hit multiple mobs in a row. In order to get these perfect shots you spend additional time running around to line yourself up. With all of this wasted time you can deal 5x more damage with regular Rifle bullets.

The Laser Cannon will never get a higher Status Effect level then 1. In other words, this weapon offers no support to your party. With the twelve hours I used this weapon today I may have froze 20 mobs with its level 1 freeze.

Finally, the Laser Cannon can only hit the same mob once. So, if your fighting let's say De Ragan and you shoot your Laser at him, you will only hit him once even though your laser hits 2-5 spots.

Conclusion: Laser Cannon is the worst weapon you can chose for single monsters. Even your single handgun does more damage per second. The Cannon is not used for support either given its low status effect level. The only time this weapon proves useful is if you can line up 3+ mobs with each shot, but in order to do so your running around much more then needed. The weapon looks awesome and sounds really cool but its damage is pretty terrible. I will still level all of its Bullets to 30 though. I am a Fortegunner afterall.

Grenade Launcher: Woot! After picking one up, and grasping its awesome power... wow... it was so worth the wait.

As stated in an above post, the Grenade Launcher fires its bullets in an arc and deals damage to mobs when the bullet hits the ground or a wall. You can't point blank mobs as the bullet must hit solid ground to explode (thus the bullet simply goes through mobs). Each bullet can hit four mobs when it explodes (perhaps this will increase with higher bullet levels), and I must say the area of effect is pretty big (think.. Twin Dagger PA range.)

Each shot takes about 30PP which is a huge chunk and your weapon gets dry pretty quick. Each shot however is dealing almost the same damage as my Rifle, except in this case its also area of effect. The status effect on the Grenade launcher will come in handy at later levels as well, but for level 1-10 its really weak.

The biggest and best thing about this gun is that every single mob alive that is hit by this sucker is sent flying backwards or knocked down. There's two good scenarios for you to use your Grenade Launcher.

The first is with a mass group of mobs. Hopefully slow-moving targets bunched up into four or more. This is the most damage you'll be able to deal with this gun. The problem with picking on small fry is that other party members may... start to dislike you for continously knocking them out of Diga range etc.

The best scenario is fighting ANY and EVERY large monster this game has to offer. Every time you successfully deal damage to a large creature with this gun you WILL knock him over. The only exception to this is if said creature is in the middle of doing something such as charging at you or casting a spell. On top of this knockdown effect you will also hit every location on the mob as well adding up damage pretty quickly. (Good game De Ragan).

Conclusion: Own at least 1-30 of these things. Every class that can now weild a Grenade Launcher has now become the Large mob anti-christ. These mobs use to be the bullet proof badasses that took a dagger to kill. Now you are able to take them completely out of battle with a 100% knockdown effect. Woot!

Realmz
Dec 9, 2006, 09:49 AM
Grenade launchers really are just the bread and butter weapon for rangers, any land based multi spot mob will probably just kill themselves rather then face a fortegunner

Wheatpenny
Dec 9, 2006, 10:16 AM
I am not a ranger nor a fortegunner.Grenade Launcher FTW Thank you that is all

Jife_Jifremok
Dec 9, 2006, 08:58 PM
Only two things wron with grenade launchers: You can't point-blank targets and the damn thing looks less like a weapon than an enemy from Gradius. Shoot the Core!

VanHalen
Dec 9, 2006, 10:07 PM
BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! try the laser cannon offline and see what you think of it. buy a grenade launcher and use it im a hunter but i think both those weapons are freaking cool

Kuya
Dec 9, 2006, 10:23 PM
On 2006-12-09 17:58, Jife_Jifremok wrote:
the damn thing looks less like a weapon than an enemy from Gradius.

Now I want 6 to tote around. lol

Diablohead
Dec 9, 2006, 10:54 PM
I was thinking about these weapons today as I played psu, you are probably in the best to buy both anyway.

ljkkjlcm9
Dec 9, 2006, 11:01 PM
I'd go for grenade launcher. Personally I get annoyed by it when attacking an enemy as a Hunter type class, and suddenly it gets knocked out of my range, but it really is an effective weapon. I thought to myself how annoying it was that the enemy was getting hit out of my range, but at the same time he kept getting knocked over so he wasn't hitting me.

Grenade launcher is much better than the laser, but be wary of who you're partying with, because if you constantly knock enemies away from the hunters, they will get annoyed with you. It was annoying seeing my single claw tech miss, especially at it's high PP cost.

THE JACKEL

Realmz
Dec 9, 2006, 11:16 PM
On 2006-12-09 20:01, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:
I'd go for grenade launcher. Personally I get annoyed by it when attacking an enemy as a Hunter type class, and suddenly it gets knocked out of my range, but it really is an effective weapon. I thought to myself how annoying it was that the enemy was getting hit out of my range, but at the same time he kept getting knocked over so he wasn't hitting me.

Grenade launcher is much better than the laser, but be wary of who you're partying with, because if you constantly knock enemies away from the hunters, they will get annoyed with you. It was annoying seeing my single claw tech miss, especially at it's high PP cost.

THE JACKEL

thats just rangers getting even for all the money you nabbed in those give to finders games lol

ljkkjlcm9
Dec 9, 2006, 11:19 PM
well I never play give finder, in fact I only enjoy playing order games for the common drops.

THE JACKEL

Nani-chan
Dec 10, 2006, 12:26 AM
Neither. Rifle and dualies onry. Maybe crossbow instead, haven't decided yet.