PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get my girlfriend into PSU..

Akagi
Dec 12, 2006, 03:00 AM
Yeah, topic. Just wondering if you guys had any ideas. She's into RPGs... she just said she just doesn't want to play, but she hasn't even tried it yet. Arg, but I thought it would be cool if she would join me in a game I love so much.

AC9breaker
Dec 12, 2006, 03:01 AM
Try using the laser from honey I shrunk the kids, she should be able to fit then.

MaKaVeLi_X
Dec 12, 2006, 03:01 AM
Bleh just find a Guy on a girl char on psu to be your GF. problem solved.

SolRiver
Dec 12, 2006, 03:04 AM
Tell her about the character customization. How you can change voice, buy new clothes, change hair, change lip stick, decorate room, change facial structure, height, weight, and... MAYBE boob size.

Which is something NO OTHER rpg had. At least to such detail.

Also, pay more attention to her than PSU. Then when you guys are bored, you can sneak in the PSU drug in her drink (if she is not looking)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SolRiver on 2006-12-12 00:06 ]</font>

Akagi
Dec 12, 2006, 03:04 AM
lol... keep them rolling...

Maskim
Dec 12, 2006, 03:09 AM
Go to an easy level, that a newb who's never played it at all could easily beat, but feel challenged. Claim to need to go to the bathroom or something, and hand her the controller with the 'don't let me die, please'. Wait for her to get horribly addicted. It worked with mine on PSO...but she won't let me do it to her on PSU, she doesn't want to get addicted again.

-Shimarisu-
Dec 12, 2006, 03:11 AM
On 2006-12-12 00:04, SolRiver wrote:
Tell her about the character customization. How you can change voice, buy new clothes, change hair, change lip stick, decorate room, change facial structure, height, weight, and... MAYBE boob size.

Also, pay more attention to her than PSU. Then when you guys are bored, you can sneak in the PSU drug in her drink (if she is not looking)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SolRiver on 2006-12-12 00:06 ]</font>

Wow that's a real sexist stereotype, right there.

*takes char to dressing room*

rena-ko
Dec 12, 2006, 03:12 AM
no point argueing with her. if she doesnt want, then she has her reasons. no need to ask her to formulate them to you either. just have her stick around when you play. put the controller into her hands in the middle of the game (preferably not online mode) and go to the bathroom for a while. come back and see if she picked up where you left. make a nifty guychar for her too. anything but ethan works >.>

if youre on xbox, keep her away from it tho. no need to have her harassed via voicechat.

Garnet_Moon
Dec 12, 2006, 03:14 AM
On 2006-12-12 00:01, MaKaVeLi_X wrote:
find a Guy on a girl char

Ya found one.

I'll be your GF for a day if you gimme 6 Kerseline per 24 hours we're together! Gimmeh!

SolRiver
Dec 12, 2006, 03:19 AM
On 2006-12-12 00:11, -Shimarisu- wrote:

On 2006-12-12 00:04, SolRiver wrote:

Wow that's a real sexist stereotype, right there.

*takes char to dressing room*

Tips of the iceberg http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Edit: fixed my gazzilion of spelling error... I should sleep or drink coffee...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SolRiver on 2006-12-12 00:21 ]</font>

MaKaVeLi_X
Dec 12, 2006, 03:26 AM
On 2006-12-12 00:14, Garnet_Moon wrote:

On 2006-12-12 00:01, MaKaVeLi_X wrote:
find a Guy on a girl char

Ya found one.

I'll be your GF for a day if you gimme 6 Kerseline per 24 hours we're together! Gimmeh!

Thats cheap... deal

rush340
Dec 12, 2006, 03:27 AM
yeah, another reason I wish they would have put offline multiplayer in the game.

Zer0_ConvoY
Dec 12, 2006, 03:35 AM
I'd say have her play Story mode, just ask her to try single player, if she's into RPGs then she'll hopefully get into the story mode, then sneak in the fact that the story continues online (which is true, all the guardian missions are going to be based on single player plot events I believe)

Ryudo
Dec 12, 2006, 03:41 AM
Why dont you play a game she wants to play instead?

ViciousXUSMC
Dec 12, 2006, 03:49 AM
dont do it!!! I did this with my X and while I thought it was cool because I got more PSO time.... it really sucked in the end. it may sound sexist but its not but she stoped doing the dishes and the laundery and was playing all the time (those were her chores I had mine http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif )

Plus guys will be on her like white on rice wich gets annoying, only good thing was she could swoon items for me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Have a real relationship and go out and do things dont play games with her wich is somthing you can just do with sombody else online. Thats my take on it.

Your siutation could be diffrent (like long distance relationship or somthing)

MasterJoel
Dec 12, 2006, 06:25 AM
so, i introduced my BF to this game... the only games he owns are hockey and basketball, so i figured, no big deal and stuff, he'll not be into it.

we both work 50+ hour workweeks, but he has almost monopolized the playstation and has almost 200 hours played on PSU. i don't get to play anymore, 'cept when he's not home.

if you value playing this game, do NOT introduce this game to your girlfriend. you won't play anymore.

-Ryuki-
Dec 12, 2006, 06:48 AM
Remember now, you may find this and that being "cool", but girls want "this and that" to be "cute". Think like a girl, in order for your girlfriend to play. Think like yourself, and you're asking for a guy to take her spot.

Alisha
Dec 12, 2006, 06:57 AM
direct her to the dressing room and the clothes/parts shop XD seriously thats one of my favorite aspects of the game.

Kent
Dec 12, 2006, 07:18 AM
It's all fun and games, until she starts spending more time playing the game, than she does with you. :/

-Ryuki-
Dec 12, 2006, 07:20 AM
That would actually be admirable.

To be able to actually play the game with your girlfriend, then. =)

FrogKicker
Dec 12, 2006, 07:23 AM
DON'T DO IT!!!!

I thought I was a slick willy getting my wife addicted to PSO/WoW until she became so addicted I had to go drop 1.5k on a new computer and 100 bucks on a new gamecube so I would actually be able to play them myself...

I am lucky now though, she is in nursing school and doesn't have time to play PSU. Saves me from buying another 360 and a new live account. >_>

-Ryuki-
Dec 12, 2006, 07:24 AM
But if she works, then she could buy the stuff herself.

Doesn't add up, Kicker. =O

Kent
Dec 12, 2006, 07:27 AM
On 2006-12-12 04:20, RyukiZero wrote:
That would actually be admirable.

To be able to actually play the game with your girlfriend, then. =)

Yes, it's good to be able to play games together like that, but it can turn sour pretty quickly if she gets more addicted than you are, and all she wants to do is play PSU, making her completely indifferent to your presence. :/

...It really sucks when that happens.

-Ryuki-
Dec 12, 2006, 07:30 AM
Sounds like Kent wants to do more than play "games" >.>;

Kent
Dec 12, 2006, 07:35 AM
...A relationship is a little more than just another gaming buddy, you know. :/

What I'm saying is, if you get your partner addicted to PSU, to the extent that she really doesn't care that you're around any more, things can get pretty unpleasant.

FrogKicker
Dec 12, 2006, 07:35 AM
She doesn't work. Friggen bum!!!!

Agne
Dec 12, 2006, 07:45 AM
well i love to make posts sooo lol... anyways as usual i'm drunk. for those of you that love english don't read lol....

a good idea (one that worked with my girl.. she couldn't understand my addiction) if you have
an extra sytem that allowed multiplayer pso.. play that with her for a while..

first.. you can help guide her, which will help the relationship. (plus you'll be there when she finds here first rare... on that note embellish the finding of a rare. you know you love it, so will she once she understands the significance of a once in 40 hr occurance. also think pavlov lol.)

second.. tell her she can be any color she wants... i know carrying all purple isn't always a good idea but my girlfriend has all purple weapons and won't listen to anything otherwise.

also as posted above.. mention you can be almost any type of rpg hero you could possibly think of.. and btw i could kick cloud's ass anytime... lol flame war lol

Gojin
Dec 12, 2006, 07:57 AM
On 2006-12-12 04:23, FrogKicker wrote:
DON'T DO IT!!!!

I thought I was a slick willy getting my wife addicted to PSO/WoW until she became so addicted I had to go drop 1.5k on a new computer and 100 bucks on a new gamecube so I would actually be able to play them myself...

I am lucky now though, she is in nursing school and doesn't have time to play PSU. Saves me from buying another 360 and a new live account. >_>

ha ha you're whipped.

Sychosis
Dec 12, 2006, 08:01 AM
Tell her you'll bring another man into the relationship for some freaky deaky action if she tries it.

Once she's addicted she'll forget all about the other man, and sex in general.

You can't win 'em all though, right?

l_Will_l
Dec 12, 2006, 09:47 AM
lol my gf plays. shes got her own char on my account. bites cause shes takin a space where i could be makin a pm lol. oh yeah and we cant play together online lol. need to get more ram on my pc so i can play on here and let her take my ps2 lol.

Polenicus
Dec 12, 2006, 10:19 AM
Well, to be fair, if she doesn't want to play, she doesn't want to play. It's not something that should become an issue.

Find out what RPG's SHE likes, and maybe see if there's one of her games you can play with her. If not, then talk to her about your desire to find something you can play together, and then go out and find that together, whether it's PSU, WoW, FFXI, etc.

And if she does have one she wants you to try, give it the fair shake you'd want her to give PSU. You might be pleasantly surprised, and maybe she'll reciprocate and give PSU a fair try. Even if she doesn't, at least you'll be gaming together like you want.

Zabot
Dec 12, 2006, 10:23 AM
what you do is tell her how much you want to play with her. that it would make the game so much more fun for you if you could be with her even if it was in a game. then actually tell her to please just try once, and tell her after she starts, that she has to actually try it. seal the promise with a kiss. and she will be hooked. then help her, let her play and make lots of friends. and thats is she will play. (i know this works cuz i did it with my GF) LOL

Peace

Akagi
Dec 12, 2006, 11:20 AM
Wow, a lot of interesting ideas... Well, lucky for me is that she has her own ps2... which is good for me.

I actually wanted to do missions with her and level up together (I know, sounds cheesy). I like the idea of letting her play the game mid mission where she can't die (Fight for food C anyone?) and seeing how she likes it.

I know she likes to play games with me-- the other day she wanted me to teach her how to play super smash bros. melee. I thought that was pretty cool. We do a lot of things together and I thought this would be one more thing to share interests in.

Laranas
Dec 12, 2006, 11:24 AM
I got my GF into PSU and it's a good thing... except that she doesn't level nearly as fast as everyone else and feels like a burden on the guild.

Stixx
Dec 12, 2006, 11:31 AM
I got my gf into PSU when it came out. Since we're in a bit of a long distance relationship at the moment, it's nice to be able to play with her as another method of interaction/communication. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Ri0T
Dec 12, 2006, 01:02 PM
As a forethought you would think most girls would dislike PSU's gameplay because it is more arcade-oriented than other RPGs. That's what i thought... but my wife is pretty severely addicted to PSU right now, and she is really good compared to the majority of other players, gameplay-wise. It is surprising to me, she is usually all thumbs when it comes to arcade-style games (fighting games, etc) but excels as a techer in PSU.

On top of this, I have been meeting a lot of real girl gamers in the game, a lot of them are adults. You'd think it would be the other way around, but I think PSU has an advantage that PSO has had such a long history (5 years+ is a long time) that the kids who originally played PSO grew up, and there is a wide range of ages and sexes playing the game now. Add to that the growing popularity of anime and manga themed entertainment, it is becoming much more mainstream... it gives us a nice variety of people that play the game.

I think though, that most girl gamers would be initially turned off the game because of the gameplay. Once they can get past the level grinding and realize that the game is very social and one of the better games out there in ways of character customization, is when they start to get hooked. It's really hard to describe PSU quickly in a way where it seems appealing to the usual MMORPGer, i think. It is something that needs to be experienced to be really appreciated.

Aegias
Dec 12, 2006, 02:14 PM
If she doesnt want to play dont make her. You should value your alone time,, my gf plays and i get so sick and tired of little kids making annoying remarks to her. I shrug it off but she really hates it, the internet is full of little kids and young/middle aged adults who are so horny and so lonely its not even funny. Save yourself the time of cursing out annoying pricks, and your gf being depressed cause perverts wont leave them alone. Unless you gf is darn near your best friend Id say just forget about it. Sometimes its not worth the headache ya'know?

If you enjoy doing things together find something she enjoys and you enjoy right now and do it. I've gamed with mine about 3 and a half years, and i love it, but its not fun with the other half of your team is miserable http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Aegias on 2006-12-12 11:18 ]</font>

Wheatpenny
Dec 12, 2006, 02:23 PM
Just tell her that if she doesent stop De Ragon from holding the Mission points hostage who will?

Ronzeru
Dec 12, 2006, 02:25 PM
Umm, it's simple. If she's on 360, take away her mic, give her a keyboard, and everyone will suspect that she's a dude if she makes a chick chaacter. As simple as that.

Akaimizu
Dec 12, 2006, 02:47 PM
It's never that simple. The idea is to just group with people you want, and leave ones that annoy you. That's the better simplicity. Of course, it's easier to simply go someplace away from them in PSU that it is in some games.

The internet does have a decent amount of crazy people, and it may have scared off some people. Though it's sort of a catch 22. If the population was further balanced, the issue would be greatly lessened; but there's some people who scare people off making it tougher to reach those more favorable conditions.

Then, to anybody who even bothers with Social things, a good game group marks one of the most enjoyable engagements in videogames. I really don't think it's possible to have a gender barrier, for that kind of stuff. So it comes down to various issues. Those who like or get into videogames is a human thing, it's only playing a stereotype to have it otherwise. It's a shame that in a day and age where adults teach kids and such about *not giving into peer pressure* when many are the worst offenders, themselves.

I remember one day, in a videogame store, a woman, buying a game for someone, plain declared (as if she had to make a statement about it) to the store clerk that she doesn't play videogames, because she's a woman. That, in itself, plain angered me; mostly because it was akin to saying women can't play sports. If that's what people are telling each other, then I feel there's a problem there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-12-12 11:50 ]</font>

Akagi
Dec 12, 2006, 04:33 PM
On 2006-12-12 11:23, Wheatpenny wrote:
Just tell her that if she doesent stop De Ragon from holding the Mission points hostage who will?

I told her that one and she said, "That's like saying only you can prevent forest fires." I told her that she was doing a good job at preventing fires. Then she hit me with a blanket....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akagi on 2006-12-12 13:35 ]</font>

omegapirate2k
Dec 12, 2006, 04:43 PM
Oh noes a blanket. I'd press assault charges.

DikkyRay
Dec 12, 2006, 04:45 PM
man... its cool and all, having a special friend playing with you, but it can piss offf freinds
oh boy! example! A good friend of mine plays PSU with her bf. Shes cool, hes a dick.
Whenever hes on, shes there with them.
another friend told me that one time, when he got on, she left without saying anything to chill with him.
Now if they are both on, they both have to play with us. And,once again, hes a dick.
but im sure your gf is nice, so it shouldnt be a problem (i have yet to meet a girl i ever really hated on a game)

chibiLegolas
Dec 12, 2006, 05:22 PM
If she already likes rpg's, then it depends on the type she'd like. If she preferes the turn based games, psu might not be for her. But offline does offer the familiar story mode she might like. But if she's into action rpg's then she should be all over the online part.
I like the "feigning bathroom break" idea and let her play your character for awhile when you're away.

I'd say get a team of close, talkative friends in a locked room (vast variety of ppl from different states & countries prefered), and leave her alone with them during a lower leveled quest while you're in the bathroom.

That's kinda how my future husband got me hooked into PSO. I saw him having a blast online with all kinds of ppl from all over the world, coming together just to hang out, have interesting conversations direct from other corners of the country/world, kill'n stuff together and feel at ease to know that they got my back in game and I have theirs.

After watching him having fun, I wanted to join and play too!
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Dressing up and personalizing your character might be the stereotype for female gamers, but a more realistic stereotype (which I fall under) is that females tend to play non confrontational games. So the friendly co-op atmosphere drew me in. If this was a team vs team game (like most 1st person shooters & other online games), I'd stop playing.
So PSU should really peek her interests to some degree.
Unless she's extremely shy about incoveniencing you or meeting strangers online.

ShinMaruku
Dec 12, 2006, 08:40 PM
I saw you walkin down on Melrose,
you lookin like a angel,
straight of heaven girl,
I was blown away by your sexiness,
all you I have to do is catch up to you girl,
slow down, I just want to get to know you,

Ronzeru
Dec 12, 2006, 09:16 PM
FFXI ruins relationships. Don't bring your girlriend into that game. WoW on the other hand, cultivates them.

InfamousGamma
Dec 12, 2006, 09:17 PM
I know this one, tell your GF that there is hotter guys on PSU for her

omegapirate2k
Dec 12, 2006, 10:31 PM
On 2006-12-12 18:17, InfamousGamma wrote:
I know this one, tell your GF that there is hotter guys on PSU for her

Such as myself?