PDA

View Full Version : *dramatic music* CAST Guntecher?

Nestahima
Dec 12, 2006, 08:28 PM
So I have a Ranger, level 14 (character level, not job level), and now after I've played around with things, I might want to make her a CAST Guntecher. I hesitate because of the CASTS ridiculously low MST/TAP, but does anyone know if, as a Guntecher, this can be over come in some way?

(I'm really into Dual Handguns and Machine Guns. Plus, if I want to use a Saber/Dagger on the other hand, Guntechers have A-rank, just like Fortegunners.)

happy_cricket
Dec 12, 2006, 08:30 PM
It's an awesome choice. I have a CAST wartecher and I love it. Anyone who says different is a biased statwhore who probably hates puppies and is some kind of communist.

Careful
Dec 12, 2006, 08:31 PM
You can equip me/concentrate? I'm not sure if buffs, need MST or TAP.

Randomness
Dec 12, 2006, 08:33 PM
Me/Concentrate raises TP by 80 at the cost of casting speed.

The only thing a cast guntecher would likely use techs for is healing, so speed of tech spam is a non-issue.

KiteWolfwood
Dec 12, 2006, 08:36 PM
Bows, Dual handguns, Lasers, 30 Bullets. All you would need spell wise is Resta and Reverser. I have been thinking of going Guntecher myself as a cast.

ChrisKo
Dec 12, 2006, 08:39 PM
All you would need spell wise is Resta and Reverser. I have been thinking of going Guntecher myself as a cast.

No self-buffs for you? mmmm Shifta.

Careful
Dec 12, 2006, 08:51 PM
But we don't have buffs/debuffs right now. Only reason i went guntecher, waiting now for the buffs/debuffs.

AeraLure
Dec 12, 2006, 09:37 PM
Drumroll. I too have done it. Cast Guntecher is quite fun. Right now she's a Fortegunner but the two classes overlap quite well so she will moonlight in both, to be able to choose one or the other role situaltionally.

DeRolLe
Dec 12, 2006, 09:39 PM
<-- Cast guntecher

Fantastic, sure it takes you 3 casts of resta to heal up, but atleast you CAN do it. Can't forget about bows and cards too ;P

P_C_A
Dec 12, 2006, 09:40 PM
...is Kite...flicking me off...?

KiteWolfwood
Dec 12, 2006, 10:03 PM
On 2006-12-12 17:39, ChrisKo wrote:

All you would need spell wise is Resta and Reverser. I have been thinking of going Guntecher myself as a cast.

No self-buffs for you? mmmm Shifta.

Well we don't even have buffs online yet anyway. So at the moment that is not something that matters.

Otis_Kat
Dec 12, 2006, 10:15 PM
A resta for 150 is better than the one that snooty Fortetecher won't cast.

*Hopes the topic doesn't turn into "that" subject.*

Choja
Dec 12, 2006, 10:27 PM
On 2006-12-12 18:40, P_C_A wrote:
...is Kite...flicking me off...?

Yes, and he also violates the size signature limit.

A Newman Guntecher would have greater skills combined, but they die too fast, so let's go to the CASTs instead! I'm serious, since Newmans do have the 2nd best ATA (1st is CAST, of course.) and best TAP in any four races.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant in bytes. x_x

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Choja on 2006-12-12 19:32 ]</font>

dudeanonymous
Dec 12, 2006, 10:27 PM
I think its a good idea...I plan on making a cast guntecher myself...

KiteWolfwood
Dec 12, 2006, 10:30 PM
How does it violate the sig size limit? I went through and checked an seen people with sigs bigger then mine.

Nestahima
Dec 12, 2006, 10:31 PM
It is kind of big. I mean, its just generally in the way. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

omegapirate2k
Dec 12, 2006, 10:33 PM
I know a cast guntecher, she's pretty good, although I don't often count on her for healing... I usually carry (er... I mean INVITE) a newman/human fortetecher with me at all times now.

KiteWolfwood
Dec 12, 2006, 10:34 PM
Edit: Alright well how is that.

Anyway back on the Cast Guntecher topic. I have partied with a few, well two guntechers. Both were human. Both had a combonation of Rifles and Mechgun/Wands. They both did just fine spamming status effects on the mobs. And the additional resta every once in a while was nice too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KiteWolfwood on 2006-12-12 19:45 ]</font>

Fleur-de-Lis
Dec 12, 2006, 10:34 PM
On 2006-12-12 17:28, Nestahima wrote:
I hesitate because of the CASTS ridiculously low MST/TAP, but does anyone know if, as a Guntecher, this can be over come in some way?

I've heard that the Mechgun/Wand combo is very satisfying for some Guntechers, as you can wield both raw DPS and SE, as well as a bit of crowd control.

I would cast my vote in the affirmative.

Choja
Dec 12, 2006, 10:38 PM
On 2006-12-12 19:34, KiteWolfwood wrote:
Bah you guys are no fun. I guess I'll resize it.

I'm a boring strict mini-mod like that. *gets mobbed by angry players*

CAST Guntechers live longer than Newmans and also can act as support magic rangers! Woohoo!

-Shimarisu-
Dec 12, 2006, 10:43 PM
I hav 3 3* Tenora wands at +8 grind, best wand you can equip atm and odds are at least one will get to 10. 60% chance per grind with a +10 grinder.

Once again, does ANYONE want them?

+330 TP atm. Last 2 grinds will bring them over 400.

Sinue_v2
Dec 12, 2006, 11:31 PM
I have a CAST wartecher and I love it. Anyone who says different is a biased statwhore who probably hates puppies and is some kind of communist.

There's a big difference between Wartecher and Guntecher. On my caseal, the Wartecher class gets roughly 120 more lvl 1 TP than Guntecher. There's also a large deficit in the MST stat. Also, Wartechers can cast technics at lvl 20, whereas Guntechers cap technics at lvl 10. Originally, I wanted her for support purposes - since I don't care for nuking, with some RAnger damage and status effects thrown in. However after seeing those caps and those stats, I'm fairly convinced that Guntecher is really nothing more than a gimped solo-class or an option for those who want the greatest variety of ranged weaponry.

So as for now, i'm considering just making her a Fortetecher and playing her as support with Bows and Cards for ranged combat.

If Guntechers could use technics up to level 20 like Wartechers, I would say give it a shot and see what you can make of it... but as it is now I wouldn't recommend going that route. And keep in mind that I played a melee FOnewearl up to lvl 180 on PSO - so it's not like I'm a stat whore or anything. Even to me, Guntecher doesn't sound like a good idea.

Unless of course, you're just looking for an expansion on your ranged arsenal or are looking for a way to ween yourself off mates while soloing. Sure you can cast resta and support - but you're going to be useless the moment ANYONE ELSE who can cast technics joins the party - and even if you don't mind casting Resta multiple times, at 40pp a pop and lvl 10 Resta range, you're going to burn through canes really quickly on A & S difficulty areas. You can't use rods and their higher PP pool. That leaves very little room in your pallet for guns or bows.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-12-12 20:35 ]</font>

Taris
Dec 13, 2006, 10:11 AM
Please, PLEASE tell me that GunTecher will be allowed one day to use techs past level 10. No, really, that's just depressing, especially since as a US/Xbox player, we don't even have the stat-buffs/debuffs yet, meaning that all a GunTecher ends up getting is Level 10 Resta/Reverser as "useful" techs. (Since going around with a wand throwing out level 10 Rafoie or the like in an A-rank run is just silly, at best, as a GunTecher.)

At the least, they can give us up to tech level 15, so our support techs MEAN something. Or even just let us have level 11. Come on, just Resta/Reverser level 11, throw us a bone here...

Alpha-Hunter
Dec 13, 2006, 10:23 AM
don't do it. i changed my lv 27 cast to guntecher and the damage at lv one is horrible. worst of all is the inability to equip wands. at lv 27 i had like 56 tp. 4 and 5 star wands are well over 100 tp requirement. i wouldn't be able to equip decent wands until near lv 40 (and this is assuming I grind my spec class as well). i shouldn't say don't do it, but i tried to be unique and found that it back fired on me. i'm now one my way to fortegunner and could have used those 3 force points towards it. if you can make it work please post it and i'll feel some level of satisfaction. I atleast had to share my experience with you.

Kent
Dec 13, 2006, 11:52 AM
...I guess there's a reason I've always thought of Wand TP requirements as ridiculously low - I didn't/don't play as a Guntecher.

Really, I don't see much advantage to playing Guntecher, as it stands. Low TP and level 10 technique cap (which is set in stone, unless there's some sort of "uber-expert" types that come out later...), makes attempting to nuke basically worthless. Resta will be weak, as well as have short range (alongside Reverser). So really, the only good use a Guntecher would be able to put techniques to (in theory, at least), would be support and some backup healing... And they wouldn't even be that great at doing that, until supportive non-healing techniques are released.

Kei-Z
Dec 13, 2006, 12:16 PM
Well, Guntecher is probably THE MOST underrated class right now. My bro has one on level 50, but a newman. His TP is much better than you'd think. Especially with the 6* wand grinded to +6. His spells are good for support and even though he only has lvl 10 resta, it does well with a newman because of his higher TP. IMO a cast guntecher isn't the greatest of choices just because he doesn't really gain all that much in the durability department, but takes a serious hit in tech ability. Guntechers aren't really a frail class defensively, more like the standard ranger in terms of durability. I think the biggest advantage Guntechers have though besides their supporting capabilities is their equipment. Trust me, cards and longbows are beastly with a Guntecher. The card not only does good damage, but has great status change ability even at lvl 11. And the bow does more damage than you'd believe. My bro's newman guntecher does considerably more damage per hit with the bow than any fortegunner i've seen using a rifle. Just some food for thought though...

justbrak
Dec 13, 2006, 12:16 PM
I have found that being a guntecher is actually quite useful to the party. Hate to do this...but they are basically the redmages from FFXI. As a cast I can use my SUV as well and in a pinch can take some blows while healing myself to get my suv topped off. The mages in our group are often very thankful for when I take off their status effects. The few times I have failed at this has resulted in someone's death.
In short. Very effective in its own little niche.

Sinue_v2
Dec 13, 2006, 02:38 PM
As a cast I can use my SUV as well and in a pinch can take some blows while healing myself to get my suv topped off.

While SUV damage is ok - it's useless when used as a main attack. You'd do far more damage over time simply going Fortetecher and casting nukes - or going Fortegunner and using ranged weapons.

The mages in our group are often very thankful for when I take off their status effects.

Any decent FO worth a shit carries Antimates in case of silence. Even so, as said, the presence of a Wartecher in the party nulls any benefits the Guntecher may provide.

My bro has one on level 50, but a newman.

Invalid. We're discussing Cast Guntechers, who have a substancially lower TP and MST stat than Numans.

Trust me, cards and longbows are beastly with a Guntecher. The card not only does good damage, but has great status change ability even at lvl 11.

As I mentioned earlier, Guntechers are good for wide array of ranged weaponry - expecially as a cast. However if you want to lean more towards group support or nuking, you're better off choosing Wartecher or Fortetecher. Guntecher supportive and nuking abilities are extremely limited, non-reliable, and relegated mostly to the role of personal support while soloing rather than group support while partying.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-12-13 11:40 ]</font>

Gamemako
Dec 13, 2006, 04:52 PM
Guntechers will never be effective users of TECHNICs. Their TP and level cap is just too damn low. However, they can serve best as buff/debuff users with reverser as well as the best users of bow, crossbow, machine gun, and twin handgun. Since the guntecher class never effectively uses TECHNICs for damage and thusly doesn't need high TP, CASTs do not suffer greatly from their deficit.

Nestahima
Dec 13, 2006, 06:01 PM
Ok. Maybe someone can reassess my problem now that I've had some time to test this out.

I tried using Rifles/Shotguns on my Ranger, and I just hate not having the ability to strafe. This is why I absolutely love Twin Handguns and Machine Guns.

My theory on what expert class to chose is based ONLY on the fact that Guntecher's get both S-Rank Twin Handguns and S-Rank Machine guns. (Remember also, Guntecher is 5 Ranger/3 Force. More ranger.) Twin Handguns and Machine Guns are my favorite weapons.

Now my question is -- would it be a better idea to use S-Ranks with the Guntecher or use A-Ranks with the Fortegunner if I want to fight more than cast? (I wouldn't plan on being a healer or nuker, just using support techs here and there, Resta myself, get a +TAP/MST armor add-on, etc. I wouldn't be casting Diga and stuff, more stuff for solo and small group play.)

Gamemako
Dec 13, 2006, 06:07 PM
Guntecher all the way and then some.

The buffs and s-ranks will give you far more power than a fortegunner.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gamemako on 2006-12-13 15:08 ]</font>

Kei-Z
Dec 13, 2006, 07:42 PM
Sinue_V2:

First of all, I wasn't talking about the cast guntecher. I was addressing the fact that there were a few people here who questioned the usefulness of the Guntecher...so...yeah...They are not totally useless in supporting EVEN when a wartecher is in the party. My brother and I play together all the time and I'm a wartecher, but it's always good to have a back-up healer/status remover in the party just in case something happens and I can't quite make it to heal someone. Really, guntechers don't have to be very effective in attack magic. Their attack techniques will never be completely useless because there are enemies that take much larger tech damage than physical damage and at least with a newman guntecher, foie and diga still do decent damage. IMHO, the cast guntecher is not a bad idea, but I'd still say the class can be better utilized with a newman, not only for the TP boost, but also for the better MST and EVP.

Oh and to answer Nestashima's question:
Keep in mind that the fortegunner is stronger and more accurate than the guntecher, so using the machine gun and twin pistol with the fortegunner, even though they are A ranks, will work out just fine for you. The cast fortegunner also gets a nice little stat boost too. I hope this helps ya' some.

Ronzeru
Dec 13, 2006, 08:03 PM
It's not bein' a statwhore. It's just weird seeing Casts "Casting" (pun not intended) magic in the first place if you're a PSO buff o.O;.

Diasuke-san
Dec 13, 2006, 09:55 PM
they rae awesome gun techers. The spells are mostly for support not for damage and you get twin handguns at s rank, what could be better??

MegaBUD
Dec 13, 2006, 11:38 PM
You wont get a bonus stats with guntecher...

for me.. i change my mind from cast guntecher to forthgunner.

you dont really need buff... and a good ranger dont be hit... use a PM and ur good to solo everything.

But for newman or human... guntecher is a good choice...

We wont get S rank weapon until 2+month... and grinded A weapon will be better than non-grinded S weapon...