PDA

View Full Version : Shotguns...

Nestahima
Dec 14, 2006, 06:32 AM
Any tips on using a shotgun effectively? My Ranger is Level 15, and I've been doing some solo runs of Mad Creatures since level 10, but I've noticed something:

The Shotgun doesn't work nearly as effectively as it did now, than in Linear Line/Fight for Food.

Would anyone be able to give me hints? I tend to get hit by the enemies while spamming the shotgun (even with the ice bullet on), and then it becomes hard to kill things. This is why I prefer dual handguns, the ability to strafe.

However, any hints on shotguns?

etlitch
Dec 14, 2006, 07:25 AM
Try getting behind things before shooting.

mogshaz
Dec 14, 2006, 07:55 AM
get on the sides or behind things like the other poster said and (it may sound silly) don't use the spread shot on everyone in the room all the time. sometimes its easier to just hit one guy with all the bullets at once assuring that he will be frozen,burned,electrified, or silenced.

Realmz
Dec 14, 2006, 08:24 AM
i use my shot gun mostly as a close range assault weapon. when each bullet hits (and their AoE hits) i can do, to high def monsters, 371 damage. against lower guys it gets up into the 700's.

i use it once or twice for tagging mobs, then i start running behind them and pumping them full o photon

AC9breaker
Dec 14, 2006, 09:35 AM
I would like to note, if you froze something with your shotgun BA, you should not attack the same mob with the shotgun. Reason being is, I've noticed that you will break the effect of your element by trying to reapply it. I've notice this effect alot on various different enemies. It best to do a hit and move strategy on squads of enemies. If you freeze one, move to the next one. Freeze that guy, move to next guy. Other guy unfroze freeze him again.

If you in the range where all your bullets are connect to one mob, you will find this method to be the most prudent and efficient in dealing with enemies.

So in short, Stay to the sides or behind enemies, Concentrate firepower, keep moving.

shewby
Dec 14, 2006, 10:22 AM
get the bullet up lvl 11 for 4 shots, then lvl 21 for 5. adding just one bullet makes a big difference. shooting point blank will hit 5 times. i often get 100 x 5 = 500 per shot and high chance of status effect. i barely used mine till 11, now at 27, i use it almost exclusively. also, look into buy a better shotgun or grinding. i know that is all basic stuff, but it's all i can think of.

Collar
Dec 14, 2006, 10:25 AM
On 2006-12-14 06:35, AC9breaker wrote:
I would like to note, if you froze something with your shotgun BA, you should not attack the same mob with the shotgun. Reason being is, I've noticed that you will break the effect of your element by trying to reapply it. I've notice this effect alot on various different enemies. It best to do a hit and move strategy on squads of enemies. If you freeze one, move to the next one. Freeze that guy, move to next guy. Other guy unfroze freeze him again.

If you in the range where all your bullets are connect to one mob, you will find this method to be the most prudent and efficient in dealing with enemies.

So in short, Stay to the sides or behind enemies, Concentrate firepower, keep moving.

"I think the SE-cancel on Freeze is 6 hits. I have an alt that I'm new to being a Ranger with, but it seems that with the Shotty, it's also a good idea to not straff as much, rather, run around and constantly reposition yourself. Makes it that much easier to get behind, or to the side of an enemy.

AngelLight
Dec 14, 2006, 10:29 AM
sometimes you can get 2 or 3 hits register on a target per bullet.....Bullet collision is a little wonky in PSU on shotties. But for sure if you're using ice, you only want ONE shot burst off on a target if your goal is the proc Freeze. Reason being, each shot has a % chance to break the debuff and since some shots count 2 or more times each hit...you're pretty much guaranteeing that you'll break the effect.

Now, if you're going for damage on it, then yes you want to be behind a target and PB it. You'll get about 2 (sometimes 3) bursts off before the mob will have time to react. Always keep mobile (as best as you can with the otherwise slow shotty) and control your trigger finger http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Oh and for sure you want to prioritize leveling the PA for it. Shotties gain a big DPS boost at PB range from extra shots coming out. If shotty is you're primary source of damage then this will be a huge factor for you.

panzer_unit
Dec 14, 2006, 10:34 AM
On 2006-12-14 03:32, Nestahima wrote:
Any tips on using a shotgun effectively? My Ranger is Level 15, and I've been doing some solo runs of Mad Creatures since level 10, but I've noticed something:

The Shotgun doesn't work nearly as effectively as it did now, than in Linear Line/Fight for Food.

Would anyone be able to give me hints? I tend to get hit by the enemies while spamming the shotgun (even with the ice bullet on), and then it becomes hard to kill things. This is why I prefer dual handguns, the ability to strafe.

However, any hints on shotguns?

... shotguns magnify any kind of change to your ATP or enemy DFP. The monsters you're fighting now have more HP and take a bigger chunk of damage off with extra defense than they would with high-damage single hits. That's why life is so tough right now.

I would actually suggest NOT using your shotgun as a melee weapon all the time. Whenever you can fire on a bunch of monsters without totally wasting some of your spread, IMO do that instead. It's the same damage output overall as point-blanking only safer thx to not firing inside their swing range.

Against an isolated target run close and away again to tease it into attacking, then go around back and get started on the damage.

DarkAtvar
Dec 14, 2006, 11:19 AM
I'll keep myself on the side of the mob, takes a little practice being efficient at repositioning yourself. On fast attacking mobs on harder missions I will fire off a couple shots to try to get status effects to proc then switch to rifle(or dualies if you prefer). I prefer rifles now that I get lvl 3 status effects. And a quick note on hitting frozen mobs, with lvl 3 freeze they tend to stay frozen awhile when beating on them. This is very nice on high evasion mobs like those damn bugs...... the hunter I do runs alot with really likes lvl3 freeze on mobs for his axe. But if you are in crowd control mode, yes don't hit the frozen mobs.

Carbinne
Dec 14, 2006, 02:24 PM
Shotgun is more of a group weapon. I pull it out when the group encounters a bunch of monsters that don't have many or any magic attacks and only run around and attack physically. If they're busy focused on other group members then it's not too much of a chore to try and hit as many of them as possible to apply shock status and shut them down -- after one or two gets shocked I move in closer to one of the unshocked monsters in order to point blank for damage and shock chance.

When I solo LLS or FFFS, I sometimes find situations where I only have one deljaban to deal with. In those cases I run around the monster making it dizzy, eventually the jaban pauses for a second and that's when I point blank it in the back. After that shot I continue running around it, repeating the process until it dies, or it gets shocked -- at which time I feel free to fill it full of bullets.

Even though I generally use my rifles more than my shotguns, the shock shotgun Bullet Art is a solid 24 -- it's just so quick to gain levels. The rifles are slowly slogging up to 21, even though I use them quite often.

Since the shotguns don't have a lot of ATP most of the damage will likely come from the extra bullets you get from the Bullet Art hitting 11 and 21, as well as the ATP gain of your character itself. From what I assume, each bullet benefits from your level up boosts, as opposed to rifle shots that only gain a little bit added to one shot. So shotguns might only start getting powerful as your raise your stats and gain extra bullets. My two cents.