PDA

View Full Version : Pricing your Synthed items

PureEntropy
Dec 14, 2006, 03:47 PM
Now that we're getting into synthing B and A rank items more consistently, and as everyone is becoming more vocal about their disgust for the high prices - I was wondering what everyone uses to price their synthed goods.

Here's an example -

Take Hoza-Senba

NPC Prices
[b] Hoza-Senba = 31.5k
Ortacarbon = 2.5k
Upteline = 2k

For each run of this board, it will cost you (not counting a price for Photons)

[b] Hoza-Senba = 10.5k
30 x Ortacarbon = 75k
12 x Upteline = 24k
Total per Run - 109.5k

So three runs of this board will cost 328.5k

The shield itself costs 95k in the NPC shops, but does not have an elemental attribute. For the time, effort, and mental anguish it costs to create this armor, what is an acceptable price?

I'd personally go with 164,250 Meseta, which will recoup my costs if 1 synth fails, otherwise it'll be profit if more than 2 succeed. What say you consumer?

MontyNice
Dec 14, 2006, 03:54 PM
I see your math and it makes perfect sense. But I doubt others will see it the same way. Most ppl just recognize the original price and price their item less.

I could be wrong but thats what I see and hear from gamers...

Tomeeboy
Dec 14, 2006, 04:07 PM
When I synth items, it is usually to better my array of equipment. Items that I synth and don't choose to keep end up in the shop (which is where most things go, as I'm very picky!). I price items below NPC store prices, but slightly above what it costs in materials to synth the item (assuming that 1/3 synths will typically fail). I don't go by the amount it would cost if I bought all of the materials from the store, because I don't do that, it's too expensive. Sometimes I have to price items well below production costs (especially if more than 1 synth fails in a set of 3, or if the market is flooded). To me, that's just the cost of getting better equipment. If I can break even or have minimal losses and end up with a nice item or two, then that's usually good enough for me.

With armor synthing, it's going to be really hard to break even or make any profit. I think you would need a really nice elemental percentage on the armor to get somebody to pay way over the NPC price. There are a number of armors available in the NPC shops that do have elemental percentages (some are actually quite good). I think to really maximize productivity when armor synthing, you would really need to have a pure armor PM, buy all synth ingredients at reduced cost from player shops AND farm them, and synth armors with elements that may not be available from the NPC shops.

JAFO22000
Dec 14, 2006, 04:11 PM
I would NOT buy a Hoza for 164,250 from any shop. If I saw that, I'd probably make some sort of comment under my breath and leave your shop. i wouldn't care how much elemental percentage it has, I wouldn't pay almost 70000 more than the NPC shop. I might consider buying a Hoza with a good element bonus for 120,000. 30% good.

Neith
Dec 14, 2006, 04:12 PM
Call me gimped, but Ive found Elemental resists hinder me more than help. Maybe ok with some resists I guess, but getting Fire Resist armour was a huge mistake.

From 95k to 164,250 is 69,250 more. Sure, I can see where your maths has come from, but I don't seriously know if people would be willing to pay that much more for it, unless it had really useful resists, and a lot of them.

JAFO22000
Dec 14, 2006, 04:16 PM
I agree with Yuriko. My Gi Senba had only 18% ice. While I took almost no damage from ice based attacks, when I got hit with fire, I GOT HIT WITH FIRE!!!

I did purchase and elemental-less Hoza from the NPC, and I think I like it better....

I also think that people who buy boards/mats to synth items and try to sell them will ALWAYS end up losing money. You have to understand that the OP priced the cost for 3 successes. If one doesn't succeed, he's in the hole for another 109.5K. I would NOT recommend buying from NPC to synth and sell.

PureEntropy
Dec 14, 2006, 04:20 PM
Currently, are there any mobs out there that have LVL 4 elemental attacks? I, personally, have notice that when I wear my ice armor, I never get frozen - only 1% of the time, if that.

Right now, I've heard/seen people listing weapons for WAY more than NPC prices, just because of the elemental attribute. I'm just curious why people think armor doesn't deserve the same increase. Is it because the mobs we're fighting now do not pose that great of a threat when it comes to elemental damage?

JAFO22000
Dec 14, 2006, 04:38 PM
You can carry multiple weapons with different attributes and switch as appropriate.

You really can't do this with armor. Most people only have one and upgrade it from time to time. It's really a one shot deal. I'm actually thinking that I want no element on my armor from now on.

Ronzeru
Dec 14, 2006, 04:43 PM
Yea wtf are we gonna pay more money just for a element, when we can just get it from the shop. Can't you make more than one of those with your board anyways?

Ronzeru
Dec 14, 2006, 04:45 PM
Only thing I can say is, make sure you get the items to synth your shit cheap. Use converters, anything. But it ain't worth buying elemental armor now TBH other than for epeen, wh en you can get it from a shop for cheaper, or another players shop from cheaper than the store's price.