PDA

View Full Version : Controller preference: PS2 or Xbox360?

Silenced
Dec 14, 2006, 11:27 PM
Hi, I'm about to order a gamepad for my PC, and I'd like to know which you think is better for playing PSU.

I don't have much experience with either a PS2 or a 360 controller, and I'd like your thoughts on which one's better overall for playing PSU. Specific examples how one is better or worse would be nice.

It'd also help if you've had experience with both (maybe not playing PSU with one of them, but at least make an estimate of how the other one would work). If you don't have experience with one of the controllers, at least talk about the one you are using now. It's also ok to compare it to a GCN controller if you got no other point of reference.

Thanks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silenced on 2006-12-15 01:27 ]</font>

Kent
Dec 14, 2006, 11:35 PM
The two controllers, by all means, have basically the exact same layout. Only difference is the position of the D-pad and Left Stick. That, and the 360's equivalents of L2 and R2 are triggers instead of buttons, and will require some easily-procurable and configurable third-party drivers.

Personally, I think the Xbox 360's controller is the best standard-type video game controller ever invented. With the XBCD drivers, it works perfectly with PSU.

Sychosis
Dec 14, 2006, 11:35 PM
Xbox 360. The analog stick is in a very natural position. I've never liked the fact that PS controllers put the d-pad where the stick should be.

Other than that there aren't many differences. PS controllers are smaller, 360 controllers are more ergonomic. The d-pad on older 360 controllers is lousy though, but I think they fixed that. At least they claim they did.

juno-6
Dec 14, 2006, 11:38 PM
i say the 360.

a - the 360 has the left analog stick placed at the left like the GCN controller which to me feels better than keeping both your thumbs placed on the inside of the controller.

b - i prefer triggers over the L2/R2 big shoulder buttons

c - the d- pad on the ps2 is partially hidden whereas you are able to touch all of the d-pad on the 360

Maskim
Dec 14, 2006, 11:42 PM
360. I played on 360, switched to pc/ps2. I prefer the pc/ps2 game wise, but I miss my wireless 360 controllers everytime I play.

Silenced
Dec 14, 2006, 11:48 PM
Also, should I just get a regular Xbox 360 Wired Controller and plug it into the PC or should I get the for windows one? It seems the for windows one is more expensive.

A2K
Dec 14, 2006, 11:49 PM
I prefer the 360 controller itself, although I really wish I could swap the trigger and bumper functions on the 360 version of the game.

Maskim
Dec 14, 2006, 11:51 PM
They're exactly the same. The only thing you're paying more for is the drivers are included instead of you having to spend 2 minutes finding and downloading them.

Silenced
Dec 14, 2006, 11:58 PM
Heh. I actually looked closer this time and apparently it's less. Weird.
I'll wait another few hours, then I'll probably order. From the looks of it, the 360 one.
I figured I'd probably get it, since I'm very used to the GCN layout, which is more similar to the 360.

AeraLure
Dec 15, 2006, 12:01 AM
I'm using a Logitech PS2 sort of clone. I like it a lot and it feels completely natural to me, having had a PS/PS2 for years. I'm sure the 360 is just fine as well and may look into it to compare, but I havent seen the need.

SolRiver
Dec 15, 2006, 01:11 AM
Xbox360 defintely... it is a dreamcast upgraded. (I bet sega gave microsoft most of their console research when they sign windows CE into dreamcast)

1 biggest complain for me about ps2 is the lame d-pad. what is with the 4 dots? I guess it can be accurate for very simple things like menu (won't have the problem with pressing up and left at the same time).

Another thing is that ps2 controller's hook on the back (sticking out from L and R) is way too long and sharp (as in the angle is to sharp), it sometimes get in the way of finger movement. For example, xbox360, I can press both R1 and R2 at the same time with ease; while PS2 you have to move you middle finger further away from the controller then come in to press R1 and R2 at the same time. To me it matters, and it is extremely annoying.

I suppose you could always set your keys a certain way to adjust the controllers.

But if you don't care for neither of the problem, you sohuldn't have a problem in ps2 controller. PS2 controller should be cheaper now, but you might need an adapter unless you just buy a relatively close copy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SolRiver on 2006-12-14 22:19 ]</font>

Silenced
Dec 15, 2006, 03:47 AM
Thanks for your feedback, everyone.

I've placed my order. I'm getting a 360 controller.

nefarious
Dec 15, 2006, 03:51 AM
PS3 now has shoulder buttons that feel slightly more like a trigger.

I rest my case. Even sony thinks triggers are better. Viva la trigger revolution.

Also

Triggers > Shoulder buttons for racing games.

omegapirate2k
Dec 15, 2006, 03:56 AM
the PS3 triggers are meh.

I personally prefer the 360 controller to the PS2 controller any day, I dig the organic feel.

Ronin1of47
Dec 15, 2006, 03:58 AM
PS/PS2/PS3 controller always felt to small in my hands
plus the 360 one will have wireless adapter for the pc so u can use a regular 360 wireless on ur PC ( headset and racing wheel too)

Silenced
Dec 15, 2006, 04:14 AM
I don't really like paying more for wireless technology. But that's just me.
And on top of that I don't own an Xbox 360, so I ordered a wired one (of the windows variety).

Ogni-XR21
Dec 15, 2006, 04:35 AM
Is the 360 controller working with Win2k? Or is it XP only?

I currently use a PS2 rip-off, but thinking about getting a new one.

nefarious
Dec 15, 2006, 04:49 AM
On 2006-12-15 01:35, Ogni-XR21 wrote:
Is the 360 controller working with Win2k? Or is it XP only?

I currently use a PS2 rip-off, but thinking about getting a new one.

Vista only.

And you have to sacrifice a virgin once a week to power it.

NinjaSalad
Dec 15, 2006, 04:56 AM
Wired 360 pads are pimp, if you run that evil Windows XP it'll download drivers automatically, and actually pretty much work with PSU straight away, it's what I use. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif