PDA

View Full Version : XBox: Waiting.

WraithAkaMrak
Nov 24, 2002, 11:42 PM
Okay, Christmas is in a month. Microsoft has to announce the release date for PSO Xbox soon, right? Whether it's being released before year's end or not until some time next year (I don't want to debate possible release dates anymore), they have to at least give us a release date.

But I still want to get online and play NOW, or at least before Christmas. I don't have anything against the GameCube, but I don't want to buy another $200 worth of hardware (GC, BBA, mem card) right now. I have an Xbox, that's why I've been waiting on the Xbox version. But the longer MS keeps quiet about the game, the more I think about getting the GC version. I know there's no keyboard easily available. And though we're still not sure if the Xbox will have keyboard compatibility (USB keyboard adapter) at launch or what, but it'll at least have voice communication.

There's rumor of a $50 price drop on all consoles, which would make me look even closer at getting a GC.

I guess this is rambling a bit... Just getting frustrated at waiting on Microsoft...

Falkon
Nov 25, 2002, 12:04 AM
I'm in the same boat as you, mostly because I don't have the cash to go pick up a GC...I'd get one and play if I did though.

Sucks not having any money huh? =/ I don't even know if I'm going to be able to get Xbox Live or PSO for that matter...

BioFan
Nov 25, 2002, 12:07 AM
well give up some old games....I couldn't wait for PSO anymore, traded in some games, and paid GCN for $0.02...and get the GCN bundle(GCN + 1 game + 1 251 memory card) at EB and you get $50 rebate off. And just get the BBA(if you can find one)...it would cost you about $100 overall...http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
I am loving my new GCN...PSO IS GREAT!!!
Now I have all 3 systems and I can say I love GCN most...But I will most definitely get PSO-X...I have XBL and I don't think I can get BBA anytime soon...PSO is a nice offline game too...been having a blast...http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
episode 2 RULES!

Miu
Nov 25, 2002, 12:38 AM
My roommate has a GameCube, and I find myself playing it more than the X-Box or PS2. Metroid Prime is really addicting, and I really like the GC PSO. I just got X-Box Live and I've been having a lot of lag problems. I'm running through a router, but my PC connection seems to be fine. I hope it's just a server problem... I wish I didn't have to start all over with X-Box, but I plan to still play GC PSO even after getting it on X-Box. Until PSO comes out, I'd suggest buying Spliner Cell, or get X-Box Live and make some friends you can trust and play with on PSO. I've only been playing the Moto GP demo, but I'm really looking forward to playing Capcom Vs. SNK 2 online. Until then I'll be playing ShenMue 2 and Metroid Prime myself...

SiliconX
Nov 25, 2002, 01:10 AM
The big rumor going around right now is a GC price drop to $100 US just in time for the holidays. That would make the GC virtually dirt cheap.

And does anyone have any concrete info on how the XBox PSO pricing will work?

Will you have to pay 8.95 a month for a Hunters License, on top of the XBox Live subscription? I know it's only 50 bucks a year, but it's just the idea of paying twice to play PSO. Not to mention the cost of my ISP

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SiliconX on 2002-11-24 22:11 ]</font>

WraithAkaMrak
Nov 25, 2002, 01:18 AM
Well, I probably could spend the money on it... But it's hard for me to justify getting another console right now, or getting a BBA when PSO Xbox might be just around the corner.

I have Shenmue II, and other games I'm certainly not done with. Splinter Cell looks interesting, but I haven't been terribly interested in it. It may be one of those games like Halo, that I'm not really excited about, but I'll end up getting anyway because it's pretty dang good. I'm not terribly interested in the other XBL games really. PSO is the only one I'm excited about.

Should I be worrying about "trusting" other players in Xbox PSO? I know it's good to find friends online that you enjoy playing with, but I wasn't really thinking cheating would be a major problem.

WraithAkaMrak
Nov 25, 2002, 01:29 AM
On 2002-11-24 22:10, SiliconX wrote:
The big rumor going around right now is a GC price drop to $100 US just in time for the holidays. That would make the GC virtually dirt cheap.

Will you have to pay 8.95 a month for a Hunters License, on top of the XBox Live subscription? I know it's only 50 bucks a year, but it's just the idea of paying twice to play PSO. Not to mention the cost of my ISPThere is no concrete info. Just a lot of debate over "it will have monthly fees" vs. "it won't have monthly fees." It's up to publishers if they want to charge, apparently. And it could be they just charge for new content (quests and the like). But no concrete info as of yet. (XBL is $50 for the first year, and likely $10/mo after that.) I don't want to be charged twice either.

And a GC at $100 would be a great deal. Especially if the BBA is actually available again.

Falkon
Nov 25, 2002, 01:32 AM
The only reason I'd want GC PSO is because nobody I know who plays is going to get the Xbox version it seems... =/

I hope that price drop is true though, I need a GC for the new Tales (of destiny) game, if nothing more.

Kent
Nov 25, 2002, 01:43 AM
On 2002-11-24 22:10, SiliconX wrote:

Will you have to pay 8.95 a month for a Hunters License, on top of the XBox Live subscription? I know it's only 50 bucks a year, but it's just the idea of paying twice to play PSO. Not to mention the cost of my ISP

So far, we know that there's the Xbox Live fee of $50 for the first year, and that the Japanese version of Xbox PSO needs a monthly fee, but that's only because they get the game itself free with their Live kits, so, odds are, we won't have to pay a separate fee because we have to buy the thing separately.

SuperSubZero
Nov 25, 2002, 10:37 AM
I'm also anxious for the PSO for xBox release. And I *have* a gamecube. I'm sorta banking on the reduction or elimination fo the online fee, but even if that doesn't pan out, the number of "issues" I'm hearing with GC PSO is bothering me. While I'm not saying xBox PSO will be pristine and perfect, hopefully they will learn from the GC and implement protections and other things in xBox PSO to keep the cheating and *SOD's to a minimum.

charr
Nov 25, 2002, 11:46 AM
I just saw a USB adapter for Xbox on Lik-Sang.com last night. You can preorder them now for like $13 U.S.

I know it's hard to wait. If I had an Xbox, I would still be waiting (I borrowed my bros' GCN). As it is, I may switch to Xbox PSO anyway, due to better communication with other players through voice chat and or keyboard.

Charr

Ramar-Bortak
Nov 25, 2002, 05:07 PM
I feel bad for you.... PSO is so good.... I am going to get Xbox along with Xbox Live and a few games for christmas but I plan on keeping PSO for gc since veryone will be on that version...

Kalbelgarion
Nov 25, 2002, 06:12 PM
I'm glad that there appears to be a lot of people who are either jumping ship and getting the XBOX version, or are going to be playing both.

...Still, I wish Sega of America and Nintendo of America hadn't screwed up this game's potential on the GCN. -_-

GreatGino
Nov 25, 2002, 10:18 PM
On 2002-11-25 08:46, charr wrote:
I just saw a USB adapter for Xbox on Lik-Sang.com last night. You can preorder them now for like $13 U.S.

wasnt it reported on the main page here a few weeks ago that pso will be shipped with a usb adapter?

WraithAkaMrak
Nov 25, 2002, 10:40 PM
On 2002-11-25 19:18, GreatGino wrote:

wasnt it reported on the main page here a few weeks ago that pso will be shipped with a usb adapter?
I know the USB adapter has been in the news, but I don't remember hearing anything about it being included w/ PSO. Though I'll probably buy it anyway, and wouldn't mind if it was.

charr
Nov 26, 2002, 12:02 AM
On 2002-11-25 19:18, GreatGino wrote:

GreatGino --

The USB adapter is confirmed for the Japanses Xbox live kit, which also includes PSO. If we're lucky, it will be that way in the US. If not, Lik Sang will have the USB adapter http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Now, if the Xbox just lives up to it's potential for building custom levels...

ChokingVictim
Nov 26, 2002, 09:40 AM
the waiting game SUCKS!

let's play hungry hungry hippos instead!

MalambisBZ
Nov 26, 2002, 09:56 AM
Yea, if a USB adaptor doesn't come with it, there's always Lik-Sang.com.

I hope they announce ANYTHING about PSOX within the next few weeks..

I'm playing GC PSO, but I'm switching to Xbox PSO, whenever it comes out. It's gonna be hard parting with all my items and mags =(.

BTW, Hi Charr! =)

MilkManX
Nov 26, 2002, 10:36 AM
I will probably buy XBOX PSO also. I think the voice chat will be great. Its lots of fun on Unreal and Mech Assault. I am cant wait to find out what the one extra charicter is. Too bad they cant link the GCN and XBOX versions online. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

DjDragoon
Nov 26, 2002, 03:59 PM
I really wouldn't you to go out just to buy all that additional stuff for GC so just stick with the Xbox, it's worth the wait, really it is. It'll cost too much for gamecube right now with that monthly fee and all and you'll be starting late while other players are at lv. 200 by now so start with the Xboxers. You'll be sorry if you didn't.

EsperFlame
Nov 26, 2002, 08:13 PM
I am holding in my handsthe Versus Strategy Guide for PSO GameCube & X-Box version. X-Box version is completely identicle to GCN version. There is no extra added classes or any new levels/area's. Literally if you played them both side by side you would notice not a single difference. The Graphics engine was not specially tweaked for X-Box and the programming will contain all the same buggy-ness and problems like GCN has. In all honestythere is though one differenc and thats the fact Microsoft does monitor their servers much more closely than Sonic Team and cheating seems to be caught more often there. So you should have less troubles with hackers, but not by much. Trust me, if a hacker doesn't wanna be caught they won't be. And the fact that X-Box is so computer like in many ways can make it a bit easier to hack.

So What did we learn? Both X-Box and GCN versions will be equally good. They will both suffer the same bugs that plagues and ticks off all of us PSO players, but will be enjoyable once you get into the game. In all honesty if either of the versions had any advantage it's GCN. It'll be out for 2 months longer than X-Box's and with a keyboard in the works, it'll also have a stable easy to use form of communication.

MilkManX
Nov 26, 2002, 09:26 PM
On 2002-11-26 17:13, EsperFlame wrote:
I am holding in my handsthe Versus Strategy Guide for PSO GameCube & X-Box version. X-Box version is completely identicle to GCN version. There is no extra added classes or any new levels/area's.

Umm. There is not a single screen shot of XBOX PSO in that guide. All the screens are from the DC version(the non blurry and bright screens) and the GCN version(the blurry and dull screen grabs) That is the worst guide I think that Versus has ever put out. It is their old DC guide with 25 added pages to cover Episode II. No updated weapon pics and a lame section on the mags. Dont judge the XBOX version till it comes out. I have the GCN one now but I am looking forward to seeing the XBOX one and the supposed "new" charicter.

Zae
Nov 27, 2002, 03:49 PM
Zae has all the money and my loved ones got pso for the holidays from Zae dont you wish you were me or one of my loved ones Zae spends no exspence my fonewfemale will kick your Glutious