PDA

View Full Version : Interesting night of gaming. Class roles and stuff.

Akaimizu
Dec 15, 2006, 11:20 AM
Another fun night on PSU. I pretty much got my first true initiation of the Guntecher and what fun it was.

At first, I spent a few hours just trying to hunt rappies to no avail; then Magician and I partied with a friend of ours, from a different forum. He actually lives in Japan and it was his second day on. (He was level 9, and I believe his hunter class was 2)

After a quick run through Parum to De Ragon, we ended up spending all the rest of the time in Neudiaz. Needless to say, when you're toting a character that's barely crossing into double digit levels; you have your hands full. They were full, but they were a good kind of full. It was then, when I could really extend to the fullest of my class. My Weapons switch buttons were put to great use then. I even told them to expect to see me switching weapons A LOT, after a while. I was basically juggling around Attack Spells, Resta, Reverser, Dual Guns, and Rifles the whole time. Pretty much keeping our new crewmember alive, doing damage to monsters, and hitting them with major status effects.

There was one time when he died though. I have to remember, when someone is low level and in Neudiaz, some end of level boss attacks are as effective as a succesful Megid without being Megid. Still, it felt great because now I had someone to protect at the same time. It really put in nice advanced strategies to work and made the whole game feel deeper, because of it. I did manage to come to the rescue a good amount of times, but I also got to really satisfy my urge to cowboy-up with the Twin Gunnies.

Not to mention, I've raised Resta and Reverser more than I've had in the past, with this scenario. So I'm looking forward to more good times, like that. It's not exactly ranger, nor is it Force; but it's just a really fun support class where you work hard, but you feel great satisfaction in accomplishing what you do.

One another note, I actually almost caught up with some people I recognized from my days of playing FFXI. Looks like a good bit of them are here (including members from my first good party, in that game). They were members of Geezergamers so I'm hoping to hook back up with them. They're a little ahead of me, but not by much.

Note to self: Don't expect regular stores to sell anything but C weapons when you are of an Expert Class and it's level 1. Though it's kind of expensive to switch, just to buy 1 thing and switch back.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-12-15 08:24 ]</font>

JAFO22000
Dec 15, 2006, 11:29 AM
On 2006-12-15 08:20, Akaimizu wrote:

My Weapons switch buttons were put to great use then. I even told them to expect to see me switching weapons A LOT, after a while. I was basically juggling around Attack Spells, Resta, Reverser, Dual Guns, and Rifles the whole time. Pretty much keeping our new crewmember alive, doing damage to monsters, and hitting them with major status effects.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-12-15 08:24 ]</font>

Replace "Dual Guns" and "Rifles" with "Bow" and "Pistol" and delete the word "major" and welcome to EVERY night of a Fortetechers PSU experience!

Akaimizu
Dec 15, 2006, 11:38 AM
Pretty much. I could've described in more detail as to the exact conditions for which to use each of my things, and that makes the big difference in how they play. Still, I would expect both to have some juggling involved, just different reasons for using techniques, and their weapons. That's the way of the expert class. You're put in positions of having to constantly switch the role in order to best support in a changing situation; all the while, you have to keep an eye on people's health bar.

As a Fortetecher, it still seems you do things with a similar complexity as you would a regular Force, but as a Guntecher, it's a bit more complicated. You are still primarily Ranger. Because of that, you have to step outside the Force way of thinking, and that you have to remember specifically that you'll be in situations needed for support techniques. It's like switching brains.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-12-15 08:43 ]</font>

JAFO22000
Dec 15, 2006, 11:44 AM
Exactly. I bet when you add the ranger equation in, you have even MORE choices (ie, deciding to shoot enemies to cause an effect instead of nuking with a spell).

It's amazing how much you can learn about peoples play styles in a PuG just from watching the bottom left of the screen

Akaimizu
Dec 15, 2006, 11:49 AM
On 2006-12-15 08:44, JAFO22000 wrote:
Exactly. I bet when you add the ranger equation in, you have even MORE choices (ie, deciding to shoot enemies to cause an effect instead of nuking with a spell).

It's amazing how much you can learn about peoples play styles in a PuG just from watching the bottom left of the screen

Indeed. The whole status effect thing is a big role for me, particularly borne because my character is a total Twin Gun Romancer. That alone pretty much allowed me to *play the character role* and *a particular Ranger support playstyle* at the same time. That decided, for me, that I will concentrate on status effects since those weapons are one of the Ranger's best friends for applying status effects for a group of enemies or pinpointed enemies.

Primary means of damage still go to guns, but I used techs (like Barta, Gibarta) as a means to tag monsters behind monsters, lower the general hitpoints (makeshift way of acting like a lowered defense de-buff), or hopefully hurt and cause freeze to monsters when they decide to swarm me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-12-15 08:54 ]</font>

Ogni-XR21
Dec 15, 2006, 11:53 AM
On 2006-12-15 08:29, JAFO22000 wrote:

Replace "Dual Guns" and "Rifles" with "Bow" and "Pistol" and delete the word "major" and welcome to EVERY night of a Fortetechers PSU experience!

Replace "Bow" and "Pistol" with "Rods" and delete the word "Pistol" and welcome to EVERY night of a Fortetechers PSU experience played by me (and Remedy?)!