PDA

View Full Version : What other online games are PSU similar to?

happy_cricket
Dec 17, 2006, 04:34 PM
Meaning current, "hey I should try that" games, not old ones with even less population than PSU.

I love PSU - are there other games similar to it?

Maskim
Dec 17, 2006, 04:38 PM
With similar gameplay, similar storyline, what aspects in particular are you trying to find?

The short answer though, is other games like PSU as a whole, no. PSU is unique in that regard. Most action/rpg games are either single player, or just a few people in multiplayer, and most ORPGs have either the point and click, or press attack and trade blows until you or the mob drops, combat system.

Wheatpenny
Dec 17, 2006, 04:38 PM
PSU realy isn't like any other MMO out there. It is its own unique experience. I hear WOW is good but I have never played it. I have played FFXI. Stay away from that one lol.

HiKeRI
Dec 17, 2006, 05:01 PM
RF: Online - Kinda similar but totally diferent and a few others which i cant remember right now..

happy_cricket
Dec 17, 2006, 05:07 PM
On 2006-12-17 13:38, Maskim wrote:
With similar gameplay, similar storyline, what aspects in particular are you trying to find?

Similar gameplay mostly - make your own character hack and slash type real time combat. I have heard that FFX1 requires a great deal of time to put into it, waiting for things to happen or something like that. One of the biggest things I love about PSU is you can pick it up and play for as long as you want - even if all you have is an hour.

Laranas
Dec 17, 2006, 05:15 PM
Monster Hunter was similar to PSO, which is what PSU is really built upon

HiKeRI
Dec 17, 2006, 05:17 PM
On 2006-12-17 14:07, happy_cricket wrote:

On 2006-12-17 13:38, Maskim wrote:

Similar gameplay mostly - make your own character hack and slash type real time combat. I have heard that FFX1 requires a great deal of time to put into it, waiting for things to happen or something like that. One of the biggest things I love about PSU is you can pick it up and play for as long as you want - even if all you have is an hour.

RF: Online, is what you seek, but you just gotta get used to the PvP though...

Maskim
Dec 17, 2006, 05:31 PM
Meh, RF looked lack luster at best. For a game that doesn't require huge time investments, and you can pick up and play, as it were, I enjoyed DDO. You can only get up to level 10, 12 now I think, so obviously it's not a huge time sink. It's very fun too...but the same things that make it amazing fun(it's like running through a dm'd adventure) cause it to get really old, really fast. The day I hit level 10 was the day I quit. I'd already done all the end game. Another problem with a game like this is you're going to be paying to play. Multiple game subscriptions add up fast.

For the style of game play, since ps2's launch, I've been a huge fan of the Dynasty Warriors series. What this lacks in comparison to PSU is the multiplayer, though. You can play it 1 or 2 player, or on the newest versions, you can get online (via xbox live for example) and play with a few people. Nothing like PSU though, but it's very cool, especially if you've read the Three Kingdoms. The games with Create a Warrior have a nice degree of customization as well. Great fr when you want to play alone.

For what you seem to be seeking, though, stik to PSU. You're not going to find another game at thistime quite like it.

Niki
Dec 17, 2006, 05:32 PM
RFO is nothing like PSU. Don't mislead.

Relam
Dec 17, 2006, 06:28 PM
The only game I felt that was close to PSU/PSO in terms of game mechanics (not gameplay) was Diablo. Diablo had games you jumped in on similar to PSO in where it was the whole game, but you were with a group of 4 people. You went into multiple floors you descended in, clearing mobs, and trying to find rare weapons. The game play is drastically different, but the mechanics certainly sound similar, but I hate the gameplay from Diablo and I'm sick and tired of the medival fantasy setting.

AppieDPC
Dec 17, 2006, 06:36 PM
Isn't Guild Wars sorta like PSU?

HiKeRI
Dec 17, 2006, 07:31 PM
On 2006-12-17 14:32, Niki wrote:
RFO is nothing like PSU. Don't mislead.

Read, then respond.

"RF: Online - Kinda similar but totally diferent"

When i meant that i was/felt like PSU, is the part when its a hack/slash game, on a futuristic look, which uses anime characters, almost the same classes but different avatars (mechas on RFO > PSU Cast's) and a few more stuffs which PSU haves.

HiKeRI
Dec 17, 2006, 07:41 PM
Every game gets boring after a certain point http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif It all depends of the players mood unto a game.

McLaughlin
Dec 17, 2006, 07:47 PM
The MMOs I've played.

FFXI: While semi-similar in terms of game mechanics and gameplay, it blows. It requires a massive time investment first off. If you can't devote 4-5 hours A DAY then you're screwed off the bat. The community as a whole are a bunch of elitist pricks who always look for the same party set up. A RDM pre LV 40 (I'm speaking from experience) will have a horrid time finding a party. A PLD at LV 75 (more experience) will also have difficulty getting a party. Classes that don't fit the typical "Tank/Damage Dealer/Healer" catagories are shunned (Dragoon and Beast Master come to mind). Everyone looks for the same 6 players. Speaking of parties, getting one is like winning the lottery. You'll end up waiting several hours for one, only to have it disband moments later. While you CAN find equipment, it's VERY rare and time consuming. Most of the weapons for sale at Auction Houses are made via crafting skills, which are also a pain and expensive to level up. Everything is crazy expensive and making money is usually a pain in the ass. NOT an enjoyable game and definately not one I would recommend.

Guild Wars: While I did enjoy it, it's not really similar to PSU in any way.

Diablo/Diablo II: Already been covered by a previous poster.

WoW: Not similar at all, and not a game I enjoyed.

If you're honestly looking for something similar to PSU you might want to try FFXI. I wouldn't suggest it though. It's turn based, not real time.

MXdude
Dec 17, 2006, 07:53 PM
TFLO http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

That game looked like it had a lot of promise to be great...until it got the axe.

McLaughlin
Dec 17, 2006, 07:55 PM
Haha.

I forgot about that one XD.

Bleemo
Dec 17, 2006, 08:14 PM
Like most asian MMOgrindfests.

Kard
Dec 17, 2006, 08:41 PM
Yeah. You're probably looking for some dime-a-dozen Korean, or some other brand of budgetRPG. Ragnarok Online? FlyFF? Rappelez? Trickster Online? They all have their good points, and most of em are free, but meh, you'll get what you'd expect from a free MMO.

I can't think of anything as casual/hack-and-slash yet somewhat sophisticated as PSU. Diablo was mentioned already, and that's the closest I can imagine.

Danyl
Dec 18, 2006, 01:20 AM
I'd like to put in a second vote for Monster Hunter as a good choice of a game similar to PSU. Its instanced battles with boss fights and zones, you enter a town, meet up with some people, and go do a mission. Lather, rinse, repeat. With all items being crafted accept for a basic 1 or 2 starter weaps. The gameplay IMO is much more fun in Monster Hunter and there are no levels, only equipment and playerskill. The combat is epic style Wyvern fights in a tribal/medieval setting. Theres also primitive guns that shoot just like in PSU (zoom also). Copies of it are ussually 20/30 bucks used and red land has 300-600 people playing at any given time. I play it off and on, probably every other week, when i get sick of my current games. Theres also a PSP version with alot more stuff, but you have to hack your PSP to get it online. I pray they will make a Monster Hunter 3 for PS3, giving me a reason to buy one. (MH2 didnt get released in the US due to bad advertising of MH in the US, though used copies of the game sell like hotcakes)

Gazette
Dec 18, 2006, 01:25 AM
Monster Hunter is about as close as you'll get.
Everything instanced, grinding your cash and equips.
If MH2 came stateside for the PS2, I'd have a hard time picking between that and PSU.

Gamemako
Dec 18, 2006, 01:40 AM
Infinity Online. Free to play.

http://www.playinfinity.net/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gamemako on 2006-12-17 22:41 ]</font>

Ryudo
Dec 18, 2006, 03:00 AM
Fantasy Earth: The Ring of Dominion

happy_cricket
Dec 18, 2006, 03:41 AM
On 2006-12-18 00:00, Ryudo wrote:
Fantasy Earth: The Ring of Dominion

That looks intersting... what I am seeing appears to be Japan only though....

Shaidar
Dec 18, 2006, 04:28 AM
There's really no other "good" MMORPG that is similar to PSU. Maybe in graphics, design and such, but certainly not when it comes down to the combat system. Most are just point and click (there are some exceptions, of course), then wait while your character drop the enemy with repetive attacks. And here we have one major reason I love PSO/PSU. It's helluva fun to play.

Spacepest
Dec 18, 2006, 04:35 AM
I've played FFXI, WoW, and EQ2.

PSU--and PSO for that matter--are completely different games from these. I think of the Phantasy Star online games as online/MMORPG games for people who like to have fun and action, i.e. more console type players. So far the most boring moments I've had in PSU have been PM leveling...and that is something you do by choice, you don't need a PM to have fun, join a party, and progress in this game.

EQ2, I just couldn't get into. It might be a really good game, but meh, I just wasn't into it. Plus that game lags horribly.

WoW is quite enjoyable, if you stay away from PVP servers and large end raid guilds. (In fact I will be playing WoW again once the next expansion pack for it is released, in addition to my PSU gaming).

FFXI gets top billing from me for one of the shittiest games of all time. The game play is boring, you can't solo and the party set ups and people who join them are really inflexible. Unlike WoW, EQ2, and PSU where you can still progress and level in game by soloing or even in small groups (i.e. less than a full party), if you don't have a full party in FFXI, you can't gain exp points to level. And unlike PSO, where I commonly played with Japanese gamers, the Japanese gaming community pretty much shuns partying with US/EU players, even though FFXI has an excellent ingame translator system. Everything is expensive, the ingame economy is basically controlled by gold farming companies who will do their best to make partying in all areas of the game living hell. Everything takes to fucking long to do as well...crafting is a bitch, and completely unenjoyable. FFXI was the most disappointing game experience of my entire life.

Monster Hunter, I have a copy of it that I've hardly played, and so far all of it offline. But what little I did play seemed very PSOish, and had alot of fun.

Collar
Dec 18, 2006, 05:15 AM
"I never saw anything about this Monster Hunter thing. D: No advertising or anything. Just saw the preview video for it and am already totally wishing they'd bring the other versions stateside. Just bought a copy cuz of you guys. x3

etlitch
Dec 18, 2006, 07:00 AM
It's similar to PSO. ok.

Really, other multiplayer online games are mostly PvP.
Other massive multiplayer online games are mostly point-and-click.

Sinue_v2
Dec 18, 2006, 10:00 AM
I couldn't stand Monster Hunter.. the art, the music, the design, the farming.. it was like all the bad points of MMO's and Instanced Action RPG's rolled together with none of the benefits. Some people say they enjoy the gameplay - but I've always felt that the controls and camera work largely against the player. If if you learn to adapt, it still sucks having to deal with it.

Not to mention that fighting dinosaurs was just increadibly stupid to me. It was like if that movie "The Village" took place right in the middle of Jurassic Park. = /

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-12-18 07:02 ]</font>

Akaimizu
Dec 18, 2006, 02:10 PM
I do see the main reason people consider Monster Hunter in the comparison. The gameplay is more direct action and not inputting commands to wait for a combat clock to issue them.

That's the biggest difference between PSU and pretty much all of those other online RPGs. The direct action aspect is probably the biggest difference to change the entire feel of the game around. It's enough to raise the argument on whether it belongs in an entirely different genre than much of the other online-RPGs mentioned.

Monster Hunter is realtime, so the feel is more similar that those others, but it's not the only game to do so. You also can't ignore any of the realtime Gauntlet-like Dungeon hackers. Whether it is Champions of Norrath, D&D Heroes, Untold Legends, Gauntlet Legends/Dark Legacy (since they do have character levelling, new abilities, and/or additional special bonuses or support creatures at various character levels), etc.

I'd like to think of PSU as sort of an advanced Dungeon Hacker that takes a few things from the MMOs to add in online things the Dungeon Hackers don't have. Also, the particular 3rd person camera use, environment and atmosphere, combined with easy controls are unique compared to similar action-Dungeon Hackers.

Now that I think of it. I'm still so surprised how much depth they took out of Gauntlet with the latest version. Gameplay, it added some gimmicks, but on the whole stripped Gauntlet of many great multiplayer strategies and items available in the Legends series (still the best Gauntlets).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-12-18 11:11 ]</font>

Itchee
Dec 18, 2006, 02:17 PM
On 2006-12-17 16:47, Zeta wrote:
The MMOs I've played.

FFXI: While semi-similar in terms of game mechanics and gameplay, it blows. It requires a massive time investment first off. If you can't devote 4-5 hours A DAY then you're screwed off the bat. The community as a whole are a bunch of elitist pricks who always look for the same party set up. A RDM pre LV 40 (I'm speaking from experience) will have a horrid time finding a party. A PLD at LV 75 (more experience) will also have difficulty getting a party. Classes that don't fit the typical "Tank/Damage Dealer/Healer" catagories are shunned (Dragoon and Beast Master come to mind). Everyone looks for the same 6 players. Speaking of parties, getting one is like winning the lottery. You'll end up waiting several hours for one, only to have it disband moments later. While you CAN find equipment, it's VERY rare and time consuming. Most of the weapons for sale at Auction Houses are made via crafting skills, which are also a pain and expensive to level up. Everything is crazy expensive and making money is usually a pain in the ass. NOT an enjoyable game and definately not one I would recommend.

I couldnt agree more. I put 2 & 1/2 years in on FFXI and walked away disgruntled. In theory, the game is great, but in execution the game is ruined due to the examples Zeta gave.

Monster Hunter is alot of fun....in a similar vein as PSU. (I would recommend picking that up on PSP w/ the WiFiMax adapter to play online....so dope! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif )
The Champions of Norrath series comes to mind as another Diablo-esq clone that was alot of fun....

jarek99
Dec 18, 2006, 02:26 PM
The fanboys will tell you that no game is like PSU. They dont want you to compare this game to any other for fear that you will start to realize its shortcomings.

Maskim
Dec 18, 2006, 02:30 PM
On 2006-12-18 11:26, jarek99 wrote:
The fanboys will tell you that no game is like PSU. They dont want you to compare this game to any other for fear that you will start to realize its shortcomings.

The haters will give you very open ended and cryptic answers that really don't tell you anything, but give the insinuation they do. They want you to think this game sucks, because they don't like it, but they won't actually give you a game to compare it to that has all the aspects of PSU, because it doesn't exist.

HiKeRI
Dec 18, 2006, 02:39 PM
On 2006-12-18 11:30, Maskim wrote:

On 2006-12-18 11:26, jarek99 wrote:

The haters will give you very open ended and cryptic answers that really don't tell you anything, but give the insinuation they do. They want you to think this game sucks, because they don't like it, but they won't actually give you a game to compare it to that has all the aspects of PSU, because it doesn't exist.

There are almost similar on the mood of gameplay, but not in general, PSU is boring/fun at the same time, when its boring its when you dont got nothing to do, when its fun its when you start to socialize with other players (Main point of the game), in FFXI its all work, for most players in-game work means fun to them aswell as myself, since everything that means spending time it means fun aswell, on FFXI mostly was socializing with others aswell, but most of the players in-game they are more like a one-man army.

Akaimizu
Dec 18, 2006, 02:41 PM
On 2006-12-18 11:17, Itchee wrote:
Monster Hunter is alot of fun....in a similar vein as PSU. (I would recommend picking that up on PSP w/ the WiFiMax adapter to play online....so dope! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif )
The Champions of Norrath series comes to mind as another Diablo-esq clone that was alot of fun....

Hold the phones. You mean there's a way to actually play Monster Hunter PSP truly online? I have noone around that also has the game, so it's been solo-only for me.

IceBurner
Dec 18, 2006, 02:53 PM
The mission-based areas, hunter-gatherer role, & item crafting aspects of PSU are pretty much a direct response to Monster Hunter beating the living daylights out of PSO in Japan.

MH is not quite PSO/PSU, but it comes the closest at being comparable due to the online action/adventure combat, instanced playing zones, and heavy gearing toward teamplay coupled with lack of any real player competition mechanism. I can assure you that it does not feel the same, but definitely does come closest.

No other online games give you control of your character in combat the same way. The closest games in term of gameplay are honestly any 3D Zelda for a really close match on the way melee works, and Devil May Cry for the general format of combat and the mix of melee with guns, and even the way some characters can morph. I haven't played enough Dreamcast through Xbox generation of action/adventure games to note any that mix magic, gunplay, and melee in quite the way PSO/PSU do.

Itchee
Dec 18, 2006, 03:05 PM
On 2006-12-18 11:41, Akaimizu wrote:

On 2006-12-18 11:17, Itchee wrote:

Hold the phones. You mean there's a way to actually play Monster Hunter PSP truly online? I have noone around that also has the game, so it's been solo-only for me.

There sure is!! Theres an ill little prog called Xlink Kai that creates a virtual lobby on your PC for LAN handheld games. Pretty much any game that has multiplayer...but no online support...can use it. The WiFiMax adapter is a quick and easy way to use Xlink. Go to http://www.teamxlink.co.uk for more info. Monster Hunter for PSP is 8 million times better with it!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

happy_cricket
Dec 18, 2006, 05:16 PM
Do a lot of people play MH PSP in this way?

You know what would make a kick ass PSO clone? Jet Force Gemini.

Itchee
Dec 19, 2006, 11:46 AM
On 2006-12-18 14:16, happy_cricket wrote:
Do a lot of people play MH PSP in this way?

I sold my PSP a few months ago, but while I was playing there was always a ton of people on. In fact, I saw more people playing MH via Xlink then alot of the other games that were available.

Mewnie
Dec 19, 2006, 12:17 PM
It's hard to compare PSU to the other MMOs. It's not quite MMO, but close. I find the way PSU is designed pretty well done though: large groups in social lobbies and small party instances.

and..

NO RAIDING!

I like to think of myself as a MMO veteran X3 Everquest was my first MMO, fun, but I really should have quit after the first year, as after that I got high level and into the raiding game and all the politics that entails.. ugh. Plus the camping rare spawns!Sitting in one spot for 2 days with no sleep waiting for that rare quest NPC to spawn X3

After that I tried Lineage 2 for.. 2 months? Not even. Pretty, but you can only polish a turd so much.

Then I found out about FFXI and when it came out, I snapped it up. It was fun at first, but then that old feeling I got playing EQ came back. The farming. The camping. Everything about that game seemed to be designed to take as much of your time as possible. Not to mention one of the WORST communities I've ever experienced. SOOOO many emo crybabies and wannabe elitist cunts: a fairly accurate slice of the Square fanboi demographic :3 Quit after 6 months, very disgusted with such a waste of IP.

I left FFXI for City of Heroes. PSU and CoH are more similar than the others. Small teams in instanced missions. PSU with a larger, more exporable world. I still play CoH as it's quite fun and like PSU, doesn't require you to play every waking moment to advance.

Also, the 800 lbs gorillia, WoW. It's okay, if you like to raid all the time. As that's what it's aimed for. The leveling up to 60 is just to prime folks for the raiding after level 60. Quit after hitting 60 and not having time to raid. I might have a look at Burning Crusade come Janurary, but I know once I hit the max level, I'll grow bored with lack of anything for me to do and quit again.

Of them all, only CoH and PSU are ones I still play. Both are similar, in a way. Easy on casual gamers, NO RAIDING, fun. PSU has crafting, although CoH should have it withing a year X3

Anyways, enough of my rambling! X3

Kent
Dec 19, 2006, 12:43 PM
Well, just a quick fact here: PSU isn't MMO, and is very dissimilar to basically all of them, save for a few scant points. Then again, games like PSO and Diablo (which are of the same genre as PSU), share these similarities as well.

Really, the only games I've played that are similar to PSU, are PSO, Diablo (same type of game), and Guild Wars (same amount of non-MMO-ness). Guild Wars, however, has an MMO-style combat system, while itself not being MMO.

Genobee
Dec 19, 2006, 01:00 PM
Well first of all PSU is not an MMO,

IF i had to comapre it to anything I would compare it to guild wars, But minus every thing that doesn't make it resemble shitty korean game.

It also reminds me of this game http://www.rakion.com/

Mewnie
Dec 19, 2006, 01:15 PM
So quick to correct me |3

It's online. There are many players online at the same time as you. That may or may not join you in your instance.

You might be confusing the term MMO with a certain style, of which EQ, WoW, FFXI et al fall under. DikuMUD style MMO.

ChrisKo
Dec 19, 2006, 01:26 PM

Guild Wars: While I did enjoy it, it's not really similar to PSU in any way.

Diablo/Diablo II: Already been covered by a previous poster.

WoW: Not similar at all, and not a game I enjoyed.

If you're honestly looking for something similar to PSU you might want to try FFXI. I wouldn't suggest it though. It's turn based, not real time.

Lol, I love Zeta's posts they crack me up every freaking time.

Simple answer NO online game is close to PSU in any major sense. PSU is infact one of the easiest games for low time investing players out there. Wow, FFXI, and many other require HUGE amounts of time to have things you want...

FFXI also cant be considered turn based... each action and and attack is based of its own individual times which vary. Weapon speed, spells, cooldown all have times given to them.

He seems fairly uninformed dont turn him off to any game before he fully understands.

Other MMO's are so much more complex than PSU and are quite worth looking at if you have alot of time. PSU just isnt for hardcore players.

OMGTank
Dec 19, 2006, 02:13 PM
Question for all you MH fans out there, does it require any online fee like PSU? I'm betting it does but hoping it doesn't.

Genobee
Dec 19, 2006, 03:36 PM
On 2006-12-19 10:15, Mewnie wrote:

It's online. There are many players online at the same time as you. That may or may not join you in your instance.

You might be confusing the term MMO with a certain style, of which EQ, WoW, FFXI et al fall under. DikuMUD style MMO.

Incorrect, for a game to Qualify as "MMO" status is must maintain a persistent world, PSU only has lobbies and instances

mogshaz
Dec 19, 2006, 03:41 PM
On 2006-12-19 12:36, Genobee wrote:

Incorrect, for a game to Qualify as "MMO" status is must maintain a persistent world, PSU only has lobbies and instances

whats really funny is they charge you as if it was an MMO, but i do agree PSU is not an MMO. Its just an online game with large lobbies.

pineapple
Dec 19, 2006, 04:27 PM
On 2006-12-19 12:36, Genobee wrote:

It wouldn't really need a persistent world per se, but the 4-6 person groups in PSO/PSU could hardly be considered 'massive.'

I haven't played PSU yet, but it doesn't seem too different from PSO. PSO has more in common with offline action games than it does any online game, which is what made it enjoyable for me.

Jedah
Dec 19, 2006, 04:36 PM
On 2006-12-19 08:46, Itchee wrote:
In fact, I saw more people playing MH via Xlink then alot of the other games that were available.

I'll second that.
I've been playing MH on Xlink since the game was released stateside. And yeah, Monster hunter is probably the closest game you could compare PSU to.. other than PSO >.>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jedah on 2006-12-19 13:38 ]</font>

uhawww
Dec 19, 2006, 08:14 PM
Part Monster Hunter...
Part Mabinogi (http://www.mabinogi.jp)...
Part Dungeon & Fighter (http://www.d-fighter.com)...

chibiLegolas
Dec 20, 2006, 02:21 PM
Monster Hunter might be closest to PSU on an online platform rpg game, but when I tried it, I was turned off by it within a week.

The need to eat/stamina depleation made it painful for me to travel and have fun. When I logg in, I wanna get into the middle of the dungeon and start hacking away. I felt lost in the class creation aspect. And felt like I had to invest too much time just to try out the different class/weapon options, rather than just starting and picking a class right from the start. (or maybe I just missed something in the tuturial of MH 1). Monster Hunter maybe more action based with the lack of the turned based rpg's out there, but it sure does feel slower than PSO in comparison.

I'd like to also recommend X-men Legends 2. An older game, but like the other Dungeon hacking games out there, this one is online as well. Champions of Norath is even older, but similiar as well (for online action rpg's anyways).

SkiLLz003
Dec 20, 2006, 02:26 PM
everyone has been saying it. this game is unique. 1 of a kind.
closest thing to it is PSO and thats old and outdated lol http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
stay with us the hackers will be gone in no time!

BahnKnakyu
Dec 21, 2006, 01:53 AM
On 2006-12-18 11:10, Akaimizu wrote:
I'd like to think of PSU as sort of an advanced Dungeon Hacker that takes a few things from the MMOs to add in online things the Dungeon Hackers don't have. Also, the particular 3rd person camera use, environment and atmosphere, combined with easy controls are unique compared to similar action-Dungeon Hackers.

I agree with you on this part. No other MMO-typish game compares to PSU in that aspect. PSU is definitely Gauntlet Legends/Legacy turned into an online multiplayer game, and because of that it kind of holds a unique category upon itself. You will find no other game like it because there is none.

If you want something that has the similar "beat the stuffing out of stuff" feel to it, then there's a Dynasty Warriors online that's going to be released in Japan sometime in the near future. I'd say that would be the closest in terms of GAMEPLAY... in terms of scenery and story though, it's not close, but I really do like the fact that PSU a gazillion different ways to beat the stuffing out of a monster rather than using "skills" like EVERY OTHER MMORPG OUT THERE is doing. Something about juggling an enemy into the air and to have a teammate kick it back and for another teammate to smack it with a raging ball of fire all at once seems a lot more fun than spamming skills in DikuMUD-type MMOs. I guess it's partially because I'm a 2D fighter fan, so the whole juggling aspect is what got me into the game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BahnKnakyu on 2006-12-20 23:01 ]</font>

Akagi
Dec 21, 2006, 02:54 AM
Try world of Starcraft

PsyX
Jan 3, 2007, 03:49 PM
Guild Wars - I think Guild Wars is pretty similar to PSU in some aspects...story based missions, the instance based fields (i.e. in Guild Wars when you (and anyone in your party) exit a town you enter the field that would be outside, but only you and your party are in that field, other people/parties are in their own instances of that field)...much like PSU when you start a mission), gameplay wise (from what I can remember) Guild Wars is pretty similar 'cos it's hack and slash right? (S'been a while since I played Guild Wars)

One thing that Guild Wars doesn't have in common with PSU is the completely unhelpful and, in all honesty, crap community. e.g. "Where can I get the 15k armours?"

"LOL OMFG NOOB U GAY LOLOLOL U SUCK LOL FAG LOLOLOL"

RF: Online - To be honest, it's not similar at all to PSU...it's not even hack and slash. Though the grinding is kinda similar, levels are easy enough to gain, but trying to get your stats (in RF's case) or job level (in PSU's case) or skills up is an extremely painful grind. (Though easier by far in PSU.)

*shrug* Just what I think.