PDA

View Full Version : What do you want in the next PSU game engine update?

Velocity_7
Dec 18, 2006, 09:46 AM
Here are the explanations for options not really understandable:

GUI scaling - ability to scale up GUI/font size so that resolutions of say 1280x1024 will have menus that are just as relatively "big" as if you played at 640x480.

Widescreen resolutions - widescreen resolutions that support 16:9 and 16:10.

Fullscreen toggle - able to use Alt+Enter to switch between windowed and fullscreen mode.

Projected shadows - shadows are generated via Pixel Shader and light sources in the area, rather than being a blob. That, or something similar to what PSOBB is using at the moment.

DizzyDi
Dec 18, 2006, 09:52 AM
Well PSU already has boob physics so....
Realistic hair and clothes physics. =]
And more efficient coding is always a plus.

Minneyar
Dec 18, 2006, 10:05 AM
I'd rather not have GUI scaling, actually. In my opinion, one of the advantages of playing at a higher resolution is that the HUD takes up less space on the screen, so I can see more of the action.

Personally, I want support for widescreen resolutions the most, followed by larger resolutions in general (1680x1050 please), and auto frameskip would also be nice.

Ermac
Dec 18, 2006, 10:59 AM
I personally would want antialiasing just so that my guy looks smooth and not jagged on screen.

Gazette
Dec 18, 2006, 11:49 AM
I'm all for Widescreen Resolutions.
OR at least larger resolutions period.

AA and all the other jazz would be nice, but that's on my list.

Shiro_Ryuu
Dec 18, 2006, 11:54 AM
more variety of hairstyles and accessories.

Gazette
Dec 18, 2006, 11:59 AM
On 2006-12-18 08:54, Shiroryuu wrote:
more variety of hairstyles and accessories.

We mean engine (As in mechanics behind the game) not actual content D:

ABDUR101
Dec 18, 2006, 12:33 PM
A different development team altogether, thats what.

Kent
Dec 18, 2006, 12:40 PM
Basically everything listed as options, are standard-issue for modern game engines. They should be in there, in the first place.

Mewnie
Dec 18, 2006, 12:42 PM
I'd like a revampedchat system. The cut-ins are AWESOMESAUCE, but

everything you ty
pe gets cut up, li
ke it does in Line
age 2. And you>

>have to type in
small sentences
cause there isn't
enough room X3

MayLee
Dec 18, 2006, 12:45 PM
On 2006-12-18 09:42, Mewnie wrote:
I'd like a revampedchat system. The cut-ins are AWESOMESAUCE, but

everything you ty
pe gets cut up, li
ke it does in Line
age 2. And you>

>have to type in
small sentences
cause there isn't
enough room X3

Nuff said.

IceBurner
Dec 18, 2006, 12:47 PM
Projected shadows? In case you haven't noticed, PSU has only once interactive light source per area; a global directional light, like an ever-present spotlight that shines through ceilings and walls.

The areas do apppear as if they're lit by many lights, but this faked through a combination of sprites that look like a light's halo/glow (was also used on PSO), and what appears to be a really old tech: lightmapped stages.

Lightmapping http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightmap
This means means the lighting of a stage is prerendered onto the stage's texturing, so the stage will look lit, by many lights, but this has nothing to do with the actual lightning used on non-stage objects while the game is running.

PSO used an interesting combination of ambient stage lighting, a global directional light for characters/objects, plus some point or spot lights for characters and objects (and even some moving lights, like when you're standing near P2's main teleporter or Jungle North's waterfall).

In PSU, there no are additional lights for the characters and objects within the stage to interact with. If you notice, your character never steps into light of a different color, and the direction that faces light/shadow is ever-unchanging with a particular stage. They do dim the global light for the dark-room effect, same way PSO did.

Remedy
Dec 18, 2006, 01:15 PM
I want Sega to restore my PM to 82 Technic like she was before she was bombed.

watashiwa
Dec 18, 2006, 02:03 PM
On 2006-12-18 09:33, ABDUR101 wrote:

QFT

Neith
Dec 18, 2006, 02:07 PM
I'd like to see someone from Sega at least tell us that they're trying to work on the hacking problem (i.e, not a mod, an Admin).

The game's got problems, that need sorting.

Bleemo
Dec 18, 2006, 02:07 PM
Better hardware compatibility.

Kibbles
Dec 18, 2006, 02:17 PM
On 2006-12-18 10:15, Remedy wrote:
I want Sega to restore my PM to 82 Technic like she was before she was bombed.

I'd like thi
s very much
as well.Goo
d sythners>

<are hard to
come by. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Silenced
Dec 18, 2006, 04:41 PM
I didn't even realize engine updates were possible. I mean, I know patches are possible, but its SEGA... do they even update the engine? Especially considering that only PSU PC will be able to benefit from it, and all the changes would just be superficial.

Damn I wish that PC had separate servers from PS2... that's just lame.

Fleur-de-Lis
Dec 18, 2006, 04:46 PM
Security, by a margin more than all others combined, but I'm not sure if that's covered in the 'more efficiant code' option. Second vote would go to a smaller GUI option.

Tear
Dec 18, 2006, 04:48 PM
On 2006-12-18 13:41, Silenced wrote:
I didn't even realize engine updates were possible. I mean, I know patches are possible, but its SEGA... do they even update the engine? Especially considering that only PSU PC will be able to benefit from it, and all the changes would just be superficial.

Damn I wish that PC had separate servers from PS2... that's just lame.

If we had seperate servers, it'd be a ghost town. Well not really, just not many people playing. Merged server at peak is about Full Universe01 and about half of Universe02 as well as some single star Universes, like 15.

Back on topic... Widescreen resolution support.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tear on 2006-12-18 13:48 ]</font>

MXdude
Dec 18, 2006, 05:21 PM
cell shaded http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Zubon
Dec 18, 2006, 07:42 PM
So as someone said, isn't this only possible for the PC? But then, wouldn't it by the very same token NOT be possible, since it has to share with PS2?

As for widescreen, the Xbox has this already.

Kard
Dec 18, 2006, 08:11 PM
Communication is frustrating.

It's been mentioned before, but there's no word wrap. Most of the time messages look tacky, and sometimes require extra effort to read before they quickly disappear. While I'm at it, a limit of a measly 4 short lines of text in regular messages, as well as another strict limit on simple mail messages makes communicating even more inefficient. I'm sure alot of people are sufficiently satisfied by the current system, but I'm not a big fan of constant short/broken sentences.

I guess such small chat boxes can't be helped in a game where people speak in speech bubles, rather than a traditional screen-width box at the bottom of the screen, but I sure would love that option.

I'd also appreciate being able to PM people without having their card, but that's a whole different rant. :3

Mewnie
Dec 18, 2006, 08:28 PM
PSU haikus :3

Chat system s
o bad; I want
to pull out my
hair; >

>aggravating,
yes.

Agne
Dec 18, 2006, 08:35 PM
dude i didn't read everyone's post i just skipped right to posting hope it's on topic:

man i really want the game to play like a 3d fighter/beat-em up with the move list depth of soul calibur for it's hunter weapons... could be done, just switch the movelist to where up=forward... then make the move inputs realistic to the move.

for the guns i would refine the first person aspect of psu, movement is essential in that mode.. it's just natural. they would also be able to use the 3rd person view for bladed weapons.

for forces i don't know how i would up grade that yet, but those above would make great additions... lol

Ether
Dec 18, 2006, 08:50 PM
Put the chatlog at the bottom of the screen instead of the side

Silenced
Dec 18, 2006, 10:43 PM
On 2006-12-18 17:35, Agne wrote:
dude i didn't read everyone's post i just skipped right to posting hope it's on topic:

man i really want the game to play like a 3d fighter/beat-em up with the move list depth of soul calibur for it's hunter weapons... could be done, just switch the movelist to where up=forward... then make the move inputs realistic to the move.

for the guns i would refine the first person aspect of psu, movement is essential in that mode.. it's just natural. they would also be able to use the 3rd person view for bladed weapons.

for forces i don't know how i would up grade that yet, but those above would make great additions... lol

That would be sweet and all, but you are forgetting this is an MMO. A system like that is currently impossible to implement online. Nice pipe dream though... maybe in a few years... maybe never considering ping can't get much lower than it is now since the speed of light puts a limit on it.

Sinue_v2
Dec 18, 2006, 11:24 PM
Speaking of chat bubbles, the only problem with them that I would like to see fixed is the fact that they can obscure the party listing on the right side of the screen. Expecially the PM spams. This makes it very incovienient for a FO or anyone who heals since you cannot see the liftbars of your allies as they drop. Nothing, NOTHING, should be allowed to cover those.

EC_Subbie
Dec 19, 2006, 12:17 AM
I'd like more efficient code by far. This game looks like a ps2 game, yet It slows down on the 360...

RoninJoku
Dec 19, 2006, 12:53 AM
On 2006-12-18 11:03, watashiwa wrote:

On 2006-12-18 09:33, ABDUR101 wrote:

QFT

As much as I hate to QFT a QFT...

...QFT http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

drakkula
Dec 19, 2006, 04:57 AM
security/anti-hacking stuff.. hey....u guys have being discussing about that but, will we have this kind of engine update? has sega said anything about it?

Pentence
Dec 19, 2006, 07:06 AM
On 2006-12-18 17:11, Kard wrote:
Communication is frustrating.

It's been mentioned before, but there's no word wrap. Most of the time messages look tacky, and sometimes require extra effort to read before they quickly disappear. While I'm at it, a limit of a measly 4 short lines of text in regular messages, as well as another strict limit on simple mail messages makes communicating even more inefficient. I'm sure alot of people are sufficiently satisfied by the current system, but I'm not a big fan of constant short/broken sentences.

I guess such small chat boxes can't be helped in a game where people speak in speech bubles, rather than a traditional screen-width box at the bottom of the screen, but I sure would love that option.

I'd also appreciate being able to PM people without having their card, but that's a whole different rant. :3

Well ya gota bear in mind also that this game was designed for and by japanese people.Hence the small chat boxes ,ya can say a whole lot more useing kanji in four lines than latin.

Also the pming people without their card could lead to more hacking troubles,since in all likely hood finding a person would be easier.

Kent
Dec 19, 2006, 07:24 AM
On 2006-12-18 19:43, Silenced wrote:

On 2006-12-18 17:35, Agne wrote:

That would be sweet and all, but you are forgetting this is an MMO. A system like that is currently impossible to implement online. Nice pipe dream though... maybe in a few years... maybe never considering ping can't get much lower than it is now since the speed of light puts a limit on it.

Except not. It's widely-realized that six players per game, is not "massively-multiplayer." The sheer fact that you "make a game" with a player limit on it, is what disqualifies PSU from being one.

And yes, it is completely possible for such a system to be implemented, actually... Just not with Sonic Team's netcode. Currently, PSU uses way too much bandwidth just for combat, than it really should - PSO was optimized for play on a 33.6k connection, back in the day, and ran, more or less, just fine on that. This, for a game, is low enough of an optimized connection, it's almost absurd for a modern game, but it can be done - even a little more liberally with the connection, because high-speed internet is so wide-spread now.

No, it wouldn't be necessarily like a fighting game. If anything, the next logical step in combat system for Phantasy Star (assuming they make one past PSU), would be greatly re-optimizing the netcode (for, say, low-end broadband), and having what would really be like a retooled Zelda-like system. Jumping and evasive maneuvers, and such.

But until the entire world is wired up with fiber optics, I don't see how much better an online game system could get, unless we get some serious geniuses working on netcode.

Kard
Dec 19, 2006, 09:36 AM
On 2006-12-19 04:06, Pentence wrote:

Well ya gota bear in mind also that this game was designed for and by japanese people.Hence the small chat boxes ,ya can say a whole lot more useing kanji in four lines than latin.

If a game is intended to go international, provisions should be made for languages other than the original. In any case, I don't see how such miniature chat boxes do any good in encouraging thoughtful, widespread communication in any language.

Also the pming people without their card could lead to more hacking troubles,since in all likely hood finding a person would be easier.

Although true in the game's current state, this one is in Sega's hands, and should not be our burden. If a simple (and effective) communication function that is available in just about any other O/MMORPG can cause such a grave issue, then it's a matter of poor coding/security measures rather than the function itself being at fault.

Mewnie
Dec 19, 2006, 09:42 AM
Agree, I do, w
ith Kard. Wise
, that Beast is
. Lol, I say.

This is addictive X3

But yeah, tighten up the security and implement a better chat interface.

Maybe when they release an expansion (maybe X3)...

ABDUR101
Dec 19, 2006, 03:39 PM
There's not going to be a new engine for this game. Honestly, how many years did they have to develop this game, and they still fucked it up majorly. They're not going be able to put together a new engine and re-release the game, and lose all the money. Thats why you have the current engine and code that you do, because they can't afford proper coders that would have brought this game into the next gen era.

PSU could have been something massive, much like the original PSO on DC was something massive that brought all kinds of people together. They ruined their opportunity, big time.

Hustler_One
Dec 19, 2006, 03:46 PM
On 2006-12-18 06:52, DizzyDi wrote:
Realistic hair and clothes physics. =]
And more efficient coding is always a plus.

Kard
Dec 19, 2006, 04:08 PM
Oh, yes of course. Long hair is so neat to stand around in and sexify the place, but start moving and it looks like the tail of a dead bird being dragged in the wind...

Gazette
Dec 19, 2006, 04:11 PM
On 2006-12-19 12:39, ABDUR101 wrote:
There's not going to be a new engine for this game. Honestly, how many years did they have to develop this game, and they still fucked it up majorly. They're not going be able to put together a new engine and re-release the game, and lose all the money. Thats why you have the current engine and code that you do, because they can't afford proper coders that would have brought this game into the next gen era.

PSU could have been something massive, much like the original PSO on DC was something massive that brought all kinds of people together. They ruined their opportunity, big time.

Most people don't mean an entire engine overhaul, but there are upgrades to the current engine on the way for the JP's.

Mainly for the PC crowd, but still, just proves that ST is capable of making a few changes.

throttlekitty
Dec 19, 2006, 08:40 PM
I'd like to see an improvement on the particle/sprite/whatever method that is for spells and breakable objects.

Even with a good system, they can cause quite a bit of slowdown.

Genobee
Dec 19, 2006, 09:38 PM
On 2006-12-19 13:08, Kard wrote:
Oh, yes of course. Long hair is so neat to stand around in and sexify the place, but start moving and it looks like the tail of a dead bird being dragged in the wind...

XD atleast it moves.... in PSO it looked like a metal plate in the shape of hair...

icewyrm
Dec 20, 2006, 01:03 AM
Security, netcode, slowdowns, in that order. Although I have my doubts about whether they will ever release any engine updates of notable substance.

Jedah
Dec 20, 2006, 01:28 AM
On 2006-12-19 18:38, Genobee wrote:

XD atleast it moves.... in PSO it looked like a metal plate in the shape of hair...

Metal Plate to dead bird.

That's one hell of a leap...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jedah on 2006-12-19 22:56 ]</font>

Velocity_7
Dec 21, 2006, 10:09 AM
Security/netcode is something that can only be improved server-side, and has nothing to do with the game engine.

Slowdowns? You probably mean code efficiency then.

Hell, the majority of you say code efficiency. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Rubesahl
Dec 21, 2006, 11:24 AM
Code efficiency... And yes they can upgrade this. I think BB was upgraded once so it could take advantage of pentium 4's hyperthreading technology. I mean come on :/ this game should run with no problems in a 128mb card O_o I mean, I have an ati x800 and I can't put it in 1280x1024 cause of the slowdowns in neudaiz wtf V__v;

rena-ko
Dec 21, 2006, 11:33 AM
on a second thought... toggling from and to fullscreen would be a nice feature - and if its just to set the IME correctly >.> damn thing.

HiKeRI
Dec 21, 2006, 12:13 PM
I would rather have the game fixed than anymore content or so http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif