PDA

View Full Version : Possible to switch files to play JP version in English?

-Shimarisu-
Dec 19, 2006, 09:43 AM
Say I have the japanese and English versions for PC, is there any way to switch the data files to play the Japanese version in English?

Still looking for an alternative so my friends can jump ship with me, thanks.

Mewnie
Dec 19, 2006, 09:48 AM
Well, I've seen kanji, so our client does support Japanese text it looks like. Not sure about changing UI text though..

Laranas
Dec 19, 2006, 10:39 AM
It involved moving some data files, but all you're going to get is the english dub of story over the japanese version from what I've seen... didn't look into it much, as I didn't have too much trouble reading the japanese client

Itsuki
Dec 19, 2006, 11:19 AM
I've tried it, and couldn't get it to work.

rena-ko
Dec 19, 2006, 11:22 AM
to my knowledge fileswapping doesnt work for the descriptions and ingame text. i guess you couldnt care less if the dub is english or not, as long as subs and description are readable.
however, thats exactly the tricky part.

Itsuki
Dec 19, 2006, 11:31 AM
Ya, the way the two handle languages is completely different. The european client is actually the same as the US client and is structurally different to allow for multiple languages. You'd have to figure out how it handles this and then do some complicated modding. Its more work than its worth.

rena-ko
Dec 19, 2006, 11:43 AM
plus i think it compares the actual files (size and probably hash). you'd have to patch the game to mod it.

Tycho
Dec 19, 2006, 12:10 PM
For story speech, it's pretty easy. For offline GUI, it's PsuOffline.exe. For online, well, I'm guessing swapping it would either get you on the wrong servers, and in any case would not be recognized as a sufficiently updated game. Eww, hash checks. Even if one were to make a version that did work, it might be need to redo it after every update. Personally I'd recommend anyone to just take an hour to learn kana. >_>;

rena-ko
Dec 19, 2006, 12:16 PM
learning the kana would be definitely the easier way.

then again, does the J client work without any hassle on western OS versions?

Spellbinder
Dec 19, 2006, 12:48 PM
0 Hassle~

Laranas
Dec 19, 2006, 12:49 PM
0 hassle.. and the JP saves work in the US version and vise versa... besides for the character name everything automatically changes to english/japanese. So... it's probably hardcoded into the exe.

Itsuki
Dec 19, 2006, 01:02 PM
All japanese games run without hassle on windows xp, its just an aspect of windows. Well, "all" meaning 99%. There are those rare few.

But really, I get by just knowing hirgana and katakana and maybe a few other words and thats it. Its not hard at all.