PDA

View Full Version : JP players and paying the cost...

Fleur-de-Lis
Dec 20, 2006, 03:09 AM
Disclaimer: Forgive me if there was an obvious place to find this information that I happen to have missed. I did use the forum search function (for the importers' topics and such) as well as trawl the internets for a while before posting.

Well, I understand that there's a lot of uncertainty about the NA PC/PS2 community. I for one am no clairvoyant, and won't venture to guess where it will stand in a week, or a month, or a year. I do enjoy the game and wish to continue playing, but perhaps a break from SoA would clear the air a bit while I wait for them to make up their minds regarding security. Which brings me to you, the PSOW community.

I am curious if any of the members here are still users on the JP side of PSU. All of my comrades from the launch are now on NA servers with no looking back, so I'm wondering if there's any English presence at all, or if my fledgling Japanese skills are going to have to, once again, fail the test.

Coming to the point; do those of you that still play on the JP side (that is, importers, I guess), if any, know of an online retailer that sells NetCash cards? My SEGAlink ID is dry at the moment and the places at which I used to procure them are all out of stock indefinitely. Japanese sites, passworded zip of the activation code or whatever, as long as its aboveboard. The caveat is that I have to be able to pay for it with an NA credit card.

Hoping you guys can help...no sweat if you can't.

Inazuma
Dec 20, 2006, 03:47 AM
the jp ver has roughly 40 english players on it, however only about 10 of them play often.

as for paying for your monthly fees, i heard there is another method besides netcash. but i dont really know the details since i am still using netcash myself. hopefully someone else can post here to tell you about it.

if you want, you can contact me on msn or aim and i can answer more questions you have about the jp ver.

Pandatron
Dec 20, 2006, 04:10 AM
I still have my JP copy of PSU sitting at home and i was considering switching back to it, but then choose against it since the connection i have on my school connection is already horrible with the NA version it wasn't amazing with the JP version. Though my only concern with JP version is how bad are the hackings their i'm sure there not as crucial or substial as NA server... anywho its late i'll get back to this thread later xD.

Inazuma
Dec 20, 2006, 04:26 AM
although i normally spend my time w/ other eng players, i have never seen any sign of hacking or cheating on the jp ver of psu. and also, the players are all so overly nice. we do have a ton of idiots who price items over npc tho -_-

try to buy materials to synth a rod, you arent gonna be able to find em under npc price unless you get very lucky.

btw, i played the jp ver of psobb all the fucking time for 2 solid years and NEVER saw a jp player cheating or being an asshole.

FOnewearl-Lina
Dec 20, 2006, 04:31 AM
On 2006-12-20 00:47, Inazuma wrote:
the jp ver has roughly 40 english players on it, however only about 10 of them play often.

Most of them quit already... -_-;

-Shimarisu-
Dec 20, 2006, 05:20 AM
Yeah I'm back on the JP version.

The 360 JP version.

uhawww
Dec 20, 2006, 07:31 AM
I've recently increased the frequency of when I play JP PSU.
I know NCSX had NetCash cards, but I believe they've sold out.
I pay for my JP PSU subscription using WebMoney (since it uses VerifiedByVISA/MasterCode to accept foreign cards) and use the WebMoney credit to buy SEGAcash, and just redeem the SEGAcash for monthly payments.

Kamica
Dec 20, 2006, 08:44 AM
Yeah, webmoney is essentially the only form of payment. A guide has been made for how to sign up to webmoney. We also can answer any questions you have regarding anything in the importer irc channel.

Itsuki
Dec 20, 2006, 10:58 AM
I would say the active players is over 10 though, atleast if you count in the european crowd. We are rather small and close knit though.

Fleur-de-Lis
Dec 20, 2006, 12:09 PM
Excellent, thanks to all for so many responses. Just a couple of questions (sorry, I'm at work and can't do a whole lot of digging...)

1) The IRC channel Kamica referred to, is it the one accessed here (through PSOW)?

Actually, I'll try to answer the rest on my own. Thanks again.

Solo_Wing
Dec 20, 2006, 01:01 PM
I was wondering if JP servers were having similar probs to us. do we just not know about it because of the language barrier? i would assume their just as open to these exploits as we are, are japanese players just altogehter more honest/nice then us US/EU rabble?

Spellbinder
Dec 20, 2006, 01:25 PM
I myself am not fluent in Japanese, but a few of the importers in our community are, and we have befriended one or two Japanese players along the way. They would have probably mentioned if anything bad has been talked about through the grape vine.

Itsuki
Dec 20, 2006, 01:32 PM
There are bugs and exploits in the japanese version, but they're generally patched pretty fast. These range from stuff like synthing bugs to shift canceling. The one making the most noise (Atleast in the ears of the english speaking players) is shift canceling, which is just completely broken. (The exploit allows you to stop casting and immediately cast again or move again. This can effectively allow you to cast 2-3x faster, its silly, not practical for normal play, but makes leveling techs silly)

But none of the japanese boards have really spoke of outright hacking or duping. The one exception to this, is when a duping bug was posted to 2ch. But, within a few hours the servers were down, and then a few hours later when the servers came back up, the bug was fixed, the servers were rolled back, and everything was normal again (other than synth rates being lowered to make up for the influx of synth materials).

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, yes, theres problems on the japanese server aswell. But Sega of Japan doesn't just allow them to run rampant for days or weeks, they fix the problems quickly and keep the players happy.

EDIT: And the IRC server being referred to is #PSUJP on irc.gamesurge.net

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Itsuki-chan on 2006-12-20 10:33 ]</font>

Inazuma
Dec 20, 2006, 03:05 PM
yea the tech cancel is really just useful for leveling techs, or a quick escape from an enemy's attack. if you tried to do it w/ a strong rod, you would very quickly be spending way more meseta than you are earning.

Fleur-de-Lis
Dec 20, 2006, 03:59 PM
Thanks, Itsuki-chan, I'll try to pop on tonight to see if anyone's on, but probably not until late.

Also, I read through WebMoney's FAQ and am at present about 50% sure that I could make it through the process with no problems. If I understand correctly, I have to create an account with them at which point I can purchase tickets of various denominations with my NA credit card. Are the codes then emailed to me? At that point is the process with SEGAlink/SIGN pretty much the same as with NetCash?

(Sorry if this information is redundant, I couldn't find a WebMoney-specific guide around.)

happy_cricket
Dec 20, 2006, 05:26 PM
I have a couple of questions after reading this:

1. Do the Japanese players mostly seem open to playing with English speakers, or do the English speakers mostly end up playing with each other.

2. What is the JPN server population like? About the same, or more populous?

Spellbinder
Dec 20, 2006, 06:35 PM
On 2006-12-20 14:26, happy_cricket wrote:
I have a couple of questions after reading this:

1. Do the Japanese players mostly seem open to playing with English speakers, or do the English speakers mostly end up playing with each other.

2. What is the JPN server population like? About the same, or more populous?

1. From what I've experienced, if you make an effort they tend to reciprocate, or are atleast nice about playing with you. For the most part, however, we importers do tend to play in games together.

2. Well its hard to say since there are 2 Worlds, but on World 1, on what I woould say is US peak time its a bit quiet, but if you go to Universe 1 and 2 you'll find more people.

On JP peak time, blocks 1 through 3 are usually filled up well and good portion of the other servers have at least 1 star. If the worlds were reconnected it would more than likely be more populated.

Itsuki
Dec 20, 2006, 07:14 PM
JP server population is quit a bit bigger than the US population. On peak hours on the weekends, US server was lucky to have universes 1 and 2 full. Weekend peak hours for JP is regularly 4-5 stars all the way to unvierse 5 or 6. And this is world 1 alone (keep in mind, theres also 38 universes on JP, and 2 worlds).

You have to keep in mind when JP peak hours is though. This is like 5AM EST.

To sort of elaborate on what Spellbinder said, you don't even really need to talk to the japanese. I mean, they won't kick you if they find out you're gaijin. Some don't necessarily like foreigners, but as long as you aren't doing stupid stuff, you're fine. I mean, you can go in, not really talk, and just be courteous, and they won't mind you at all.

Its kind of like a japanese procedure. You come in, you say hi, they all say hi. You say yoroshiku, they all say yoroshiku (kind of like "I hope we work well together", its a formality, doesn't really have an english meaning). When people level or get rares, you say congratulations: "cg" works, or "omedetou". And at the end of a run, you say otsukaresama ("good work team"). And coincidentally, if you can't type in japanese, these are already on shortcuts.

Fleur-de-Lis
Dec 20, 2006, 07:27 PM
Well, bless you guys for trying, but I can't seem to find a way to get WebMoney to take my credit card.

WebMoney: "When 10,001, there is a defectiveness of the commodity or an awkwardness etc of service, to inquire purchase to the sight which does, the fish you say to ask." ...and so forth.

I found a shady Russian site that accepts WebMoney balance tranfers from PayPal, but I think I'll pass on that. I guess I'll give the IRC channel a try, maybe some other method will come up, but until then probably no PSU at all. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

{EDITED for internets spelling}

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fleur-de-Lis on 2006-12-20 16:30 ]</font>

VelosofLight
Dec 20, 2006, 07:29 PM
Y'know, I kinda wish the NA hackers would just buy JP PSU and hack the hell out of it. Then maybe SEGA'd get off their asses....

uhawww
Dec 20, 2006, 07:32 PM
Credit/Debit cards are not automatically enrolled in Verified by Visa / MasterCard MasterCode. If you are having an issue with WebMoney, either check with your bank/institution (required for Debit cards on Visa/MasterCard systems), or check the system websites to register. After you verify your card's info, WebMoney site should forward you to the verfication site where you enter your VBV/MC password to finialize the transaction.

Fleur-de-Lis
Dec 20, 2006, 07:48 PM
Unfortunately for me, the problem seems to be with not having a JP address. Thank you, though. Might as well get the card verified anyway.

Ayumi-chan
Dec 20, 2006, 08:05 PM
Play-asia.com sells netcash.

Where can I find the Webmoney guide?

Fleur-de-Lis
Dec 20, 2006, 08:16 PM
And apparently, just when I thought I had used every permutation to search for those damn NetCash cards, I was proven wrong. Actually I was just proven stupid.

Seriously, I searched Play-Asia spelling it three different ways.

Well, aside from feeling really dumb, I'm pretty thankful that I can at least get on with it. Thanks much Ayumi-chan.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fleur-de-Lis on 2006-12-20 17:30 ]</font>

Spellbinder
Dec 20, 2006, 08:25 PM
I actually didn't know either, thanks very much for that Ayumi-chan. Although I do have a question about Play-Asia's Netcash. Do you think they would e-mail the code to a person who buys the Card like NCSX, or would we just have to order the card ahead of time? I looked on their website and it says it usually ships in 24 hours, so I was a bit curious.

Ayumi-chan
Dec 20, 2006, 08:30 PM
No problem, I'm looking at getting the JP version myself. I just ordered the game and the netcash, so I don't know if they do emails. I still want to find out about the Webmoney method though.

Spellbinder
Dec 20, 2006, 09:00 PM
This link leads to a series of pictures that are a step by step guide to obtaining webmoney. Unfortunately for me, I don't have Verified by Visa or the Mastercode, so they wouldn't accept my credit card. *goes to buy a netcash card*

http://www.arc-drive.com/misc/guide.rar

Fleur-de-Lis
Dec 20, 2006, 09:02 PM
It's nice knowing there's another option readily at hand, should the card avenue dry up temporarily. Thanks for the link Spellbinder.

Spellbinder
Dec 20, 2006, 09:25 PM
No problem. I went ahead and ordered a Netcash Card from play-asia, and sent in one of those little contact forms about just e-mailing me the code on it. When I get a reply, or an e-mail with my code on it, I'll let you all know what comes of it.

Shazbot
Dec 20, 2006, 09:44 PM
Yesssss. That's right peeeeple, buy the JP version and come to World 2. Forget World 1. It's full of dirty diapers and lepers. World 2 is where the party's at... In fact, I think I can confidently speak for the entire World 2 English speaking community when I say this: if you come to World 2 every single one of us English speakers here will give you 100 meseta. Just think about how much that will add up to, hmmm? Such is the strength of JP World 2. Mock. It. Not. *reeling in fish gesture*

Ayumi-chan
Dec 20, 2006, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the guide. I think my problem was before that Securecode wasn't enabled for my card.

uhawww
Dec 20, 2006, 10:37 PM
So...
World 2 meet-up sometime then? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Lyrise
Dec 20, 2006, 11:12 PM
Yeah, for that guide, make sure you have it enabled. For Verified by Visa though, if you don't have it setup, you can set it up on the fly. Mastercard holers, need to set it up before hand.
One last thing- If you're wondering about the address section, drop by the IRC channel, there's a special note about it that we can't really talk about here.

If all else fails, there is that option of Netcash from Play-asia. Personally, I prefer webmoney, since you get it on demand, at that very instant, whereas with Play-asia, they gotta process your order first.

On 2006-12-20 18:44, Shazbot wrote:
Yesssss. That's right peeeeple, buy the JP version and come to World 2. Forget World 1. It's full of dirty diapers and lepers. World 2 is where the party's at... In fact, I think I can confidently speak for the entire World 2 English speaking community when I say this: if you come to World 2 every single one of us English speakers here will give you 100 meseta. Just think about how much that will add up to, hmmm? Such is the strength of JP World 2. Mock. It. Not. *reeling in fish gesture*

I'm a bit curious now. Not because I'm one of World 1'ers (which i really am), but in any case, just how many English speakers/players are on world 2 anyway?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lyrise on 2006-12-20 20:15 ]</font>

Itsuki
Dec 20, 2006, 11:38 PM
Shazbot was trying to be sarcastic, to my knowledge, he IS the whole world 2 english speaking community.

Shazbot
Dec 20, 2006, 11:45 PM
Itsuki, you are so not getting 100 meseta from me and my PM now...

happy_cricket
Dec 20, 2006, 11:50 PM
So here's a really dumb question: is it like, illegal to import the game or something? I read something about the whole lik-sang thing being shut down by Sony or something for selling items out of region or whatever. I have also wondered why they seperatet the servers by country to begin with.

Lyrise
Dec 20, 2006, 11:57 PM
On paper, it is illegal. But the law about it is so lax, that even if they were to enforce it, there wouldn't be much they could do to you, nor any benefit to.

But the Lik-sang thing is a whole other story. On the surface, it's about how it's illegal to import stuff; but IMO it was the perfect alibi just to remove Lik-sang since they were well-known as supporters of the homebrew scene - meaning less profits for themselves.

Inazuma
Dec 21, 2006, 12:54 AM
sony is an evil evil evil evil ( i can go on) company. they will do anything and everything they can to be the biggest ass in town.

Spellbinder
Dec 21, 2006, 07:09 AM
This is Spellbinder reporting back in about Play-Asia Netcash (hearts their fast customer service). They just sent me an e-mail and told me they have to send me the card, so anyone ordering one be sure to plan ahead of your guardian license expiration when ordering one.

Lyrise
Dec 21, 2006, 07:11 AM
In which case, its probably just easier to activate the secure services for your credit card, and buy out the webmoney.

Spellbinder
Dec 21, 2006, 08:57 AM
Well my only credit card is a Mastercard Debit from my college, and when I checked I can't get the Mastercode so http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif Play-Asia's my only option.

Fleur-de-Lis
Dec 21, 2006, 12:07 PM
So most of you here are W1? Not that I wouldn't want a meet-up, but I'm afraid I'll have to PL for a while to be able to party with any of you. Am I being presumptuous?

And the NetCash is I guess more of a stop-gap measure while I try to figure out the setup for a WebMoney account, but since I'll be away for holiday, the wait is not going to bother me too much.

Kamica
Dec 21, 2006, 12:13 PM
On 2006-12-21 09:07, Fleur-de-Lis wrote:
So most of you here are W1? Not that I wouldn't want a meet-up, but I'm afraid I'll have to PL for a while to be able to party with any of you. Am I being presumptuous?

And the NetCash is I guess more of a stop-gap measure while I try to figure out the setup for a WebMoney account, but since I'll be away for holiday, the wait is not going to bother me too much.

There are a few importers who are leveling low level characters. Endjoy, Axel, and Help comes to mind. But I would assume that for the most part you would need to join jp parties. We are willing to help people level as long as the mission is hard enough to atleast tag the enemy.

Spellbinder
Dec 21, 2006, 12:53 PM
Ditto, I wouldn't mind help new folks level up~

Ayumi-chan
Dec 21, 2006, 06:35 PM
Me and my friend will be starting in a few weeks, will probably organize a meet then.

uhawww
Dec 21, 2006, 06:38 PM
Hmm, I still have a lv25 on World 1...
I'm willin' to make the switch if people are still over there...
or at least, will be there soon.

Itsuki
Dec 21, 2006, 06:44 PM
Ya, you should be entirely fine if you can get high enough to do B-rank. Would give people like me a reason to level PAs. And some of the B-ranks aren't bad at all. Once you're 35+, you're pretty much set aswell. Those are the big breaking points. 35-ish opens up most of the A-ranks, 40-ish opens up most of the farmed S-ranks.

The problem is, you're practically on your own till you're about 20-ish. Unless people have low levels to play with you.

Spellbinder
Dec 21, 2006, 09:18 PM
On 2006-12-21 15:38, uhawww wrote:
Hmm, I still have a lv25 on World 1...
I'm willin' to make the switch if people are still over there...
or at least, will be there soon.

I'll help you level. I could level my support techs while you mow down the bad guys http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Fleur-de-Lis
Dec 21, 2006, 11:48 PM
I guess W1 it is then, for me. Hopefully I can party with some of you when I get up to B Rank. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Silenced
Dec 22, 2006, 01:04 AM
On 2006-12-20 16:29, VelosofLight wrote:
Y'know, I kinda wish the NA hackers would just buy JP PSU and hack the hell out of it. Then maybe SEGA'd get off their asses....

Haha, I said that in another topic. The only difference is, I was only kidding. I hope you were too, since that's pretty selfish.

I'm surprised the same patches applied to PSU glitches in JP can't be applied to NA. I realize they have different patch versions... but from my understanding patches mostly unlock things, rather than patch client code drastically...

Whatever...

dragoon-girl
Dec 26, 2006, 12:47 PM
On 2006-12-20 10:32, Itsuki-chan wrote:
There are bugs and exploits in the japanese version, but they're generally patched pretty fast. These range from stuff like synthing bugs to shift canceling. The one making the most noise (Atleast in the ears of the english speaking players) is shift canceling, which is just completely broken. (The exploit allows you to stop casting and immediately cast again or move again. This can effectively allow you to cast 2-3x faster, its silly, not practical for normal play, but makes leveling techs silly)

But none of the japanese boards have really spoke of outright hacking or duping. The one exception to this, is when a duping bug was posted to 2ch. But, within a few hours the servers were down, and then a few hours later when the servers came back up, the bug was fixed, the servers were rolled back, and everything was normal again (other than synth rates being lowered to make up for the influx of synth materials).

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, yes, theres problems on the japanese server aswell. But Sega of Japan doesn't just allow them to run rampant for days or weeks, they fix the problems quickly and keep the players happy.

EDIT: And the IRC server being referred to is #PSUJP on irc.gamesurge.net

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Itsuki-chan on 2006-12-20 10:33 ]</font>

I hear that Sega of America isn't allowed to play with the games code so that's why it lasts... and Sega of Japan don't really care as it doesn't affect them sooo.. we're doomed.