PDA

View Full Version : Legit player.. "club?"

foofad
Dec 21, 2006, 01:35 AM
Hi guys, none of you know me, but I figured I'd pop on and pass around an idea I've been knocking around in my head for the past couple of days.

I haven't been playing for very long, about 90 hours all told. That said, I've been paying a lot of attention to what the buzz has been lately and I'm well aware of the various problems the game is suffering through these days. In other words, despite a certain lack of experience, I'm not completely ignorant on the subject of the problems meseta dupers (I refuse to refer to them as "hackers," personally) are causing.

So given all of this, here's the general idea, put as plainly as possible:

Basically, the club, group, clan, whatever you want to call it, would be a group which is self-policing, in which all of the people involved are mutually assured that they are all playing completely legitimately, with absolutely no contact or possibility of contact with duplicated items or meseta. The way this would be accomplished is simple. All members of this club would be required to start a new character from scrap. Only this new character can be a member of the club. This new character cannot take items or meseta from other characters on the same account, nor can it ever enter the shop of a player who's character is not a member of the club. This should, if practiced with conviction, completely eliminate the fear of coming into contact with illegitimate items or money, plain and simple.

Now the idea is that the club would need to be a vast community, monitored by (elected?) individuals who keep tabs on who's got what items, in an effort to catch people who have quite obviously obtained items that they couldn't possibly own. To eliminate confusion, there ought to be some sort of item registration, where an individual who wants to use an item can declare it's legitimacy and play with it as they wish.

The community aspect of the club would be reinforced by having special club rooms operated by dummy characters which are passworded. The password would be distributed among club mumbers so that they can use the rooms as they wish. Club rooms can have club sponsored shops for players to pawn off items to. The items are then sold to other club members who have access to the rooms. This will mean that the club can maintain it's own economy with it's own, completely independent item values.

As far as hunting is concerned, the club itself can sponsor scheduled hunts at particular times, and club members are free to hunt with each other as they wish. If you absolutely must do something outside of the confines of the club, you're totally free to - just not on your club character.

In writing this I realize that it kind of sounds like living in a toned down communist China, what with the prospect of there being rules and regulations out the butt, and everything being so strict. But, as all great communists say, it's for the good of the people.

Anyhow, it's just a thought. After Christmas however I'm interested in giving it a shot. It'll take some solidifying of the concepts involved, but I think as a general idea it's sound. Any input on the PSOW community's part is welcome, and that's really the whole reason why I'm posting here and not the PSU forums; I'd like to have someone who isn't a moron attempt to destroy the concept so I can make it better.

I'll be going to bed shortly, so you may not see a response to any comments y'all have 'til tomorrow. Feel free to say whatever you want, I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

Thanks,
foofad

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: foofad on 2006-12-20 22:36 ]</font>

Ffuzzy-Logik
Dec 21, 2006, 01:44 AM
Three cheers for paranoid isolationism!

ViciousXUSMC
Dec 21, 2006, 01:47 AM
lol, it would never work. There is no way for you to keep tabs on people and what they do

this is the path you and many others are taking.

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/2032legitwars.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ViciousXUSMC on 2006-12-20 22:49 ]</font>

foofad
Dec 21, 2006, 01:47 AM
Hahaha, yeah, that's basically it. Don't get me wrong, though - I wouldn't want it to be an atmosphere of "Oh God, what are the haxors gonna do next?!" but rather just a sort of clanlike group get together sort of deal. These hyper-legit characters wouldn't have to be people's mains, they could just be alts to play on the side, or whatever.

foofad
Dec 21, 2006, 01:50 AM
Mm, I thought about that, and I tend to agree to a point. There's no way to actively keep tabs on people, but a quick glance at someone's weapons doesn't take much time at all. Also, part of the idea is that it's also a system based on trust. It would be insane to have the equivalent of a police force breathing down your neck constantly while you tried to play. You'd want to have a group of people who simply didn't need to worry about that sort of thing because everyone had a common goal.

Edit: That's a great picture. Also I should mention that while it sounds like I'm arguing for a utopia, I fully understand how impractical it is. I'd like to find a practical solution that a group of people could adhere to without turning into zombies.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: foofad on 2006-12-20 22:52 ]</font>

ViciousXUSMC
Dec 21, 2006, 01:58 AM
if its all based on trust no need to start new characters then, if anything that would tempt people even more to take shortcuts to get back to where they were.

the pictures is my way of showing how contradictory (spelling http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif) the "super legits" are being saying you cant sell anything in a shop because your apart of the hacking game if you get money from your shop, then if you cant sell an item that means obviously you cant buy an item because you have to hold yourself to your own standards and have no idea how that item was made via good or bad funds.

Everybody just needs to play the game and have fun, stop telling people how to spend there money or how to run there shop, or what to do with there items. I think those people are being worse than the hackers since atleast the hackers are not judging you and telling you what to do with a game that you pay your money for.

somthing else that nobody seems to take into consideration is this is a team based game, not PVP. I for one have a much much worse time trying to run onma S with a weak PUG with no scape dolls and weak weapons vs sombody with great equipment and good funds.

I can understand how bad cheating would hurt a pvp game because those that cheat would own everybody else and have a significant advantage but this is Phantasy Star! The better they are the better you are, the faster you can lvl, the easier the stage is, ect ect. There is no need for pushing things to the limit they are at now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ViciousXUSMC on 2006-12-20 23:01 ]</font>

imfanboy
Dec 21, 2006, 02:01 AM
Yeah, right.

I played with plenty of people who used dupes on PSO GC (and in fact, some out and out 'cheaters' who were bored by the cheater clans and the ability to cheat and decided to try the game the way it was meant to be played and GASP, found out it was fun!) and they were good people.

Heck, I myself 'cheated' - if you count using a USB memory card to keep my characters backed up constantly to be a cheat. Point of fact, I actually corrupted twice - both times I bounced back right away, only lost about an hour or two of game work and no good rares either time. (unless you count an 80% hit King's Raygun to be good...)

But isolating yourself is no good.

The cheats don't matter yet. Seriously. So what if someone has A-ranks and lots of high-level gear? You can play the game just fine with basic B ranks and skill. A ranks are only for style anyway, and while style is important, it's HOW you play that matters.

Quite honestly? What you do is exactly what the cheaters would want. They'd be influencing how you play, and making you look suspiciously at EVERYONE, and dividing up the game, and making people nervous...

The cheaters aren't more than 20 to 40 people at MOST. Quite honestly, the cheater group is probably smaller than that - and they are all split into factions already. Actually, it's quite funny... and barely affects us at all. Unless you let it.

Me, I'm still enjoying this game, and probably will for another few months. Who knows? I might enjoy it even more later.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: imfanboy on 2006-12-20 23:01 ]</font>

PMB960
Dec 21, 2006, 02:06 AM
Hmm. I think it would be easier for you to petition Sega for one Universe to be dedicated to this with only members allowed. As in if their ID# is not registered they get booted. I wouldn't mind having Sega have a separate server specifically for hackers though. Honestly though people are making the problem out to be more than it is. I will continue to play this game regardless of the "hacking problem" which is apparently so widespread the 1000+ people I have talked with online are not affected. Honestly if you are so worried about hackers then you shouldn' be playing PSU. Sega obviously has a bad track record and you knew this would happen. I honestly don't care if they PM bomb my main. In fact I would enjoy it since it saves me the 10K I would pay to do it myself.

Tenzntwentiez
Dec 21, 2006, 02:16 AM
Im cancelling HL. Too many hacks, laughable population.... and i remember when killing De Ragan was kinda fun and when you picked up a gigaline board you got all happy. Now its S-rank this, sori/senba that, haru/quick this, crea dbles that. It was fun for those 2 days when the Advance jobs came out and EVERYONE was on. Now your lucky if uni 2 has 2 stars.

ViciousXUSMC
Dec 21, 2006, 02:19 AM
i just play to pass free time, the game has never failed me in that department.

people seem to have forgoten the very reason video games were created. to pass time and entertain.

when i cant sleep, or i have a few hours to spare and need somthing to do PSU is there for me.

getting too into the game is when things start to get ugly and suddenly not fun, a game should neve be a "job" and too many poeple have done that.

VelosofLight
Dec 21, 2006, 04:26 AM
On 2006-12-20 23:16, Tenzntwentiez wrote:
It was fun for those 2 days when the Advance jobs came out and EVERYONE was on. Now your lucky if uni 2 has 2 stars.

What worries me more than that is that Universe 15 doesn't usually even have the one star now...

Mystil
Dec 21, 2006, 08:08 AM
On 2006-12-20 23:01, imfanboy wrote:
Yeah, right.

I played with plenty of people who used dupes on PSO GC (and in fact, some out and out 'cheaters' who were bored by the cheater clans and the ability to cheat and decided to try the game the way it was meant to be played and GASP, found out it was fun!) and they were good people.

Heck, I myself 'cheated' - if you count using a USB memory card to keep my characters backed up constantly to be a cheat. Point of fact, I actually corrupted twice - both times I bounced back right away, only lost about an hour or two of game work and no good rares either time. (unless you count an 80% hit King's Raygun to be good...)

I duped the living hell out of PSOGC. and what drove me too it was all the jealous "hardcore" legits who didn't believe I was legit from what I was using. So I said fuck it and duped a shitload of Megid 30's, Madam's Parasols, STING TIP, EVERY GOD/ITEM IN THE GAME to death.

I didn't give out though, I kept it to myself as my FSOD Insurance Policy(FIP).

Mewnie
Dec 21, 2006, 09:08 AM
What worries me more than that is that Universe 15 doesn't usually even have the one star now...

I think because most of us migrate between 15 and 1 and/or 2.

With the times I play at, I do spend most of my time in 1 X3

Traaaade caaaaaaards ;3

foofad
Dec 21, 2006, 09:40 AM
And I'm back.

I'll reiterate again one of the points that I didn't make so well: The point of the club would be to have fun, not to be an isolated elitist circle-jerk. If you can get enough people involved, I really don't see there being much difference from a clan in any other game.

Tenzntwentiez would be an ideal candidate for a program like this. He/she is frustrated with the hackers, so why not join a community that's basically guaranteed to be completely free from that sort of thing?

If it's done without being all high-and-mighty, holier-than-thou, I don't think any of the points made since my last post would hold water. I'd be willing to bet that there's a certain demograph of PSU players that would flock to this sort of thing.