PDA

View Full Version : Starting Online Today! A few general questions

Sethimothy
Dec 21, 2006, 01:15 PM
I'll be starting the game online today. On the offline game I've made it to chapter 8 - not grand by any means, but I shouldn't be thrown off too much when I'm running around.

After playing around in Extra Mode and Story Mode, I know that the two weapons I enjoy the most are the Bow and Spear. I looked at the advanced class list to see which of the classes might allow me to use both and I realized for the most part I don't recognize how most of them work. To be fair, I'm not going to exclusively limit myself to one build, but I do want to have a primary build that utilizes these two weapons.

However... I don't know how some of these classes play out online. I was wondering if anyone could give me any basic to intermediate information on the following classes, and perhaps even be kind enough to point me towards relevant threads about them:

Wartecher
Fortecher
Protranser

I'm currently leaning towards Wartecher due to it's flexibility (at the cost of specialization) but every bit of help would be awesome.

Also, I see some of you have images in your siglines that utilize the font found in Phantasy Star Universe - is this available for download?

Anything else you can recommend?

HiKeRI
Dec 21, 2006, 01:24 PM
You play what fits you best ;] You should check for guides on the website forums.

Rizen
Dec 21, 2006, 01:26 PM
First off, Welcome!

Currently, Im a Guntecher and Protranser, so I can not give you any information about Wartecher and Fortecher.

Protranser is a very unique class. They get a 75% boost of damage when using traps. Protranser have low HP and DFP, so they are subject to die very quickly if not protected or played carefully. Starting with very (and I mean very very) low stats, but when leveled, their stats shoot up high (people still say its low tho, but from start to finish its very high). They can use variety of weapons including some of the heavy hitting weapons like Axe and Grenade Launcher, but you wont be using them til around job 4 tho. All in all, its a class you have to be patient for and very rewarding if you stick with it.
Heres a topic where Protranser gather and talk: http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=129779&forum=22&30

Edit: Found some other topics that might interest you.
Wartecher Topic: http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=130229&forum=22&29
Sticky Topic of Guides: http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=124388&forum=22&0

Hope this helps. And if you need help Im usually around on Uni 15 (characters in sig).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rizen on 2006-12-21 10:30 ]</font>

AC9breaker
Dec 21, 2006, 01:29 PM
As a protranser player myself, I would also like to add starting off will be very rough. But once you hit job level 4, things should be much more smoother. Depending on your race that is.

McLaughlin
Dec 21, 2006, 03:04 PM
What race were you planning on being?

For instance, I wouldn't recommend a Newman Protranser >_>

EDIT: Also, as a Fortetecher you'd only have PA skills at LV 1 (While Bullets and Technics would cap at LV 30). So if you like the Spear PA a whole lot, I wouldn't go Fortetecher. They generally don't have the ATP to make it worthwhile anyway.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zeta on 2006-12-21 12:13 ]</font>

Sethimothy
Dec 21, 2006, 03:36 PM
Well Zeta, right now I'm a Human. I'm... dying a lot in the first mission. I'm going to take a step back and see if there aren't some free missions I can do first, because that level 6 dragon kicks my rear at level 3, and I can't for the love of me afford any disk techniques, let alone a respectable weapon. T_T

SolomonGrundy
Dec 21, 2006, 04:18 PM
On 2006-12-21 12:36, Sethimothy wrote:
Well Zeta, right now I'm a Human. I'm... dying a lot in the first mission. I'm going to take a step back and see if there aren't some free missions I can do first, because that level 6 dragon kicks my rear at level 3, and I can't for the love of me afford any disk techniques, let alone a respectable weapon. T_T

Human is a great race, they would do well as a Wartecher (in fact many agree that they are the best race for this class). They also make decent Protransers (though this a a challengin class), and they are the secon best Forteteckers.

But for someone new to this game, a Human Wartecher is the way to go. They have extremely good defense (high HP/DFP/MST/EVP), and can use several Photon Arts that are qite powerful (dual daggers, most notably).

I *highly* recommend this for a first class.

For the gurdian mission, try again at level 5 or 6, it make s BIG difference. Unitl then, do the c-rank mission off the "linear line" platform, to gain exp, and to level your Photon arts. When you can afford it, but the spear Photon art, it will serve you well.

Gazette
Dec 21, 2006, 04:23 PM
If you intend on going Wartecher, just remember a couple things:
The requirements are you be a level 3 Hunter and a 5 Force.
Try to level your Photon Arts as a Hunter!
Try to level your Techs as a FO (Especially resta and an attack spell or two!)
We have an S rank in Daggers and Twin Daggers, use em, they're awesome!

Having both your PA's and your Techs leveled before you enter Wartecher (Or any other class for that matter) will give you a big advantage, as the switch itself can leave a player feeling mighty gimped.

Sethimothy
Dec 21, 2006, 04:43 PM
You've all been a great help! Thank you!

I'm going to log off for now, but I did get an extra level going through the low level mission on the Linear Line Platform. I'll probably grind through it until I have the 2000 needed to pick up both Dus Daggas and Frozen Hit, and then spam level those up while grabbing some coin and going through a few missions. I'll probably pick up dual dagger for a bit as well, to fall back on at the very least.

Is there a Universe that any particular group is usually on? I'm interested in meeting new people in game if I could. Also, I've seen several characters wearing glasses. I imagine they are expensive, but where can they be purchased?

SolomonGrundy
Dec 21, 2006, 05:59 PM
Is there a Universe that any particular group is usually on? I'm interested in meeting new people in game if I could. Also, I've seen several characters wearing glasses. I imagine they are expensive, but where can they be purchased?

My characters name's are in my sig, and I usually play on whatever server the game uploads me too (soloing, sadly). i would gladly play with you, as I have 3 characters, all new-ish. If you have a block, let me know!

Glasses are purchased in the makeover shop, and are only avaiable for some face types. They are far too expensive for a beggining character, sadly. I would love to spend 5K on them http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SolomonGrundy on 2006-12-21 15:54 ]</font>

Tenzntwentiez
Dec 21, 2006, 06:11 PM
well.. .at least u finally decided to come on when you are still able to form a full party.

Sethimothy
Dec 21, 2006, 11:23 PM
You'll have to forgive me... what's a block? I can get one if it'd help.