PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star has bad luck with 3's...

Sinue_v2
Dec 21, 2006, 06:19 PM
Phantasy Star III met with much critisim due to it's obtuse battle system and seemingly disconnection from the main series, and is even considered "non-canon" by some elistist who would rather consider it a side-game.

Phantasy Star Online Ep III was ripped to shreds by the fanbase and left more or less dead within the same year it was released. Weither or not the C.A.R.D game was good - it simply was not what the fanbase wanted.

Phantasy Star Universe is the third series in the franchise - and has seemingly bombed in the western market recieving the lowest scores (on average) of any Phantasy Star title ever.

Honestly, I can't really see Phantasy Star Universe surviving for four itterations - since the market seemingly just does care on this side of the ocean/s. That is, unless they really create something stellar with PSU 2 (should it be created).

So.. will the next Phantasy Star title (beyond PSU) be met with a lukewarm reception - like Blue Burst was; or will it be a modern classic like Phantasy Star: End of the Millenium was?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-12-21 15:22 ]</font>

Tomeeboy
Dec 21, 2006, 06:22 PM
You know what they say... 3rd time's a... er... nevermind.

Minneyar
Dec 21, 2006, 06:26 PM
Honestly, I think it all depends on how Sega treats its fan base. With online games, the support after the game has been released is just as important as the effort that was put into the game before its release -- and Sega of America has a horrible, horrible track record. Many people were hoping that they'd do better with PSU than they did with PSO, but thus far they've dropped the ball again. If they keep things up as they are now, I have no doubt that another online PS title would be a complete flop in the US. Which number it is in the series has nothing to do with it.

mogshaz
Dec 21, 2006, 06:29 PM
On 2006-12-21 15:26, Minneyar wrote:
Honestly, I think it all depends on how Sega treats its fan base. With online games, the support after the game has been released is just as important as the effort that was put into the game before its release -- and Sega of America has a horrible, horrible track record. Many people were hoping that they'd do better with PSU than they did with PSO, but thus far they've dropped the ball again. If they keep things up as they are now, I have no doubt that another online PS title would be a complete flop in the US. Which number it is in the series has nothing to do with it.

I couldn't second that more.

also, how is PSU the third game in any series wouldnt it be like, the 8th?

Sychosis
Dec 21, 2006, 06:35 PM
He means the 3rd series, not 3rd IN the series. There is the Phantasy Star series (PS-PSIV). Phantasy Star Online series (PSOv1-PSOBB). And now we have the Phantasy Star Universe "series" spanning a whole one game...so far.

mogshaz
Dec 21, 2006, 06:37 PM
ah, thanks for the clarification. that is......hmmm

Sinue_v2
Dec 21, 2006, 06:43 PM
If they keep things up as they are now, I have no doubt that another online PS title would be a complete flop in the US.

Noone is really to say weither or not the next Phantasy Star franchise will be an online endevour. Sega could always strip the Phantay Star series away from Sonic Team and place it in the hands of a more capable development team such as AM2 or (preferably) WowWorks who are known for their work on other great Sega RPG's such as the original PS series, Sakura Taisen, and Skies of Arcadia. There's also the option of contracting an entirely outside 3rd party development company who is up to the task.

also, how is PSU the third game in any series wouldnt it be like, the 8th?

Phantasy Star (main) - First series
Phantasy Star Online - Second series
Phantasy Star Universe - Third series

Each series is disconnected from the previous series in the overall franchise.

uhawww
Dec 21, 2006, 06:44 PM
Phantasy Star III kicked ass... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

AlphaMinotaux
Dec 21, 2006, 07:04 PM
Here is a sure fire win of a third installment

Diablo III

mogshaz
Dec 21, 2006, 07:09 PM
How about Diablo Star 3 that will throw the universe out of whack.

Scopes
Dec 21, 2006, 07:11 PM
Most people really didn't know about PSO:BB, and even less knew about PSO+. PSU actually had some E3 and air-time advertisement, so there's a chance it might do alright...

Of course, word of mouth always helps. I would have never found out about PSO except for Nintendo Power.

Fleur-de-Lis
Dec 21, 2006, 07:30 PM
I'd wager that PS will survive, but ST will not attempt another ORPG within the franchise, at least not in the NA market.

Perhaps that's just wishful thinking.

albel399
Dec 21, 2006, 08:18 PM
imagine how bad psu episode 3 would be

ShinMaruku
Dec 21, 2006, 08:24 PM
If you want PS to reach greatness, kill ST and make a new one. That's the only way.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShinMaruku on 2006-12-21 17:25 ]</font>

PJ
Dec 21, 2006, 10:14 PM
On 2006-12-21 17:24, ShinMaruku wrote:
If you want ShinMaruku to reach greatness, kill ShinMaruku and make a new one. That's the only way.

Makes perfect sense!