PDA

View Full Version : game guard updated?

Disastorm
Dec 21, 2006, 10:23 PM
I just started up gameguard and it downloaded stuff. Do you think its updated and maybe now its better at preventing hacking? Is Sega actually doing something?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Disastorm on 2006-12-21 19:25 ]</font>

Cav
Dec 21, 2006, 10:24 PM
Gamegaurd is as good at stopping hacks as a bulletproof vest made of toilet paper is at stopping bullets >.>

Weakness
Dec 21, 2006, 10:25 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif lol Yeah... game guard actually doing something... that got a good giggle from me.

Disastorm
Dec 21, 2006, 10:27 PM
cmon guys.. im not too well acquainted with this since i just rejoined, but the only hacks ive heard of are duping meseta and some room hack or something. Thats only 2 hacks, thats not too bad compared to the old pso, and compared to other games. World of Warcraft once had a hack where u could teleport to anywhere in the world.

McLaughlin
Dec 21, 2006, 10:48 PM
nProtect GameGuard couldn't protect itself out of a wet paper bag >_>

Choja
Dec 21, 2006, 10:53 PM
On 2006-12-21 19:48, Zeta wrote:

What? I didn't really get that analogy. It's more like nProtect GameGuard couldn't get itself out of the Atari ET landfill.

... *home run'd*

McLaughlin
Dec 21, 2006, 11:06 PM
On 2006-12-21 19:53, Choja wrote:

On 2006-12-21 19:48, Zeta wrote:

What? I didn't really get that analogy. It's more like nProtect GameGuard couldn't get itself out of the Atari ET landfill.

... *home run'd*

I concede. You've won this round.

Dre_o
Dec 22, 2006, 12:42 AM
I say: STOP BITCHING TILL YOU MAKE AN ONLINE ANTI-CHEATING DEVICE YOURSELVES YOU $%(&#$&(# ! THEN, ONCE IT"S BETTER THAN GAMEGUARD, YOU CAN GLOAT.

Ok now, I was wondering about that DL myself. Any information would be interesting.

DoubleJG
Dec 22, 2006, 01:30 AM
Seems to slow my game down tremendously 30mins after I've been on. And no, it IS NOT lag.

Bleemo
Dec 22, 2006, 01:31 AM
You'd laugh at some of the methods hacker kiddies are using to get around GameGuard.

Doubt this changed anything.

Cross
Dec 22, 2006, 01:37 AM
On 2006-12-21 21:42, Dre_o wrote:
I say: STOP BITCHING TILL YOU MAKE AN ONLINE ANTI-CHEATING DEVICE YOURSELVES YOU $%(&#$&(# ! THEN, ONCE IT"S BETTER THAN GAMEGUARD, YOU CAN GLOAT.

The point is that if you're relying on any external program to handle your security, you're in for a rude awakening. Games that are actually secure don't require anything like GameGuard to be a thousand times less prone to cheating than PSU is.

As for this update, it might offer a few hours of deterrance to some of the more ham-fisted exploit attempts, but the best case scenario is that GameGuard can help treat the symptoms without doing anything about the actual problem.

Cav
Dec 22, 2006, 01:45 AM

Ok now, I was wondering about that DL myself. Any information would be interesting.

If sega was willing to shell out more $ to get a better security program, it would be better. But sega is sega.

Calibur
Dec 22, 2006, 01:47 AM

Seems like it fixed a certain method...

LunarChaos
Dec 22, 2006, 04:49 AM
You don't have to excel in that area to judge the quality of others.

I couldn't direct a movie worth quat, but I can still acknowledge that Uwe Boll is a terrible director.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LunarChaos on 2006-12-22 02:05 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LunarChaos on 2006-12-22 02:05 ]</font>

Collar
Dec 22, 2006, 04:59 AM

"Guy, any program you can shut down without the program it's supposedly 'protecting' noticing doesn't require previous coding experience with anti-cheat programs to know that it's bad.

Also, I really wanted to type this post in all caps, but at the last second I decided not to be a @#$%@.

Cheers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Collar on 2006-12-22 02:00 ]</font>

MomoHana
Dec 22, 2006, 05:02 AM
GameGuard can't do anything really to stop hacks. Even IF they updated. Why because all it does is hide the game so your can't attach the process to it. That's all. I think the only way to stop it would be to have a consistent scan on gameguard to the psu.exe and check for alterations. But that would be to much I suppose.

zimmk2vgc
Dec 22, 2006, 07:19 AM
believing that gameguard does anything i like the placebo effect. you believe gameguard is protecting you from hackers, when in reality it is doing jack$%&#

rena-ko
Dec 22, 2006, 07:26 AM
they'd have to reinforce serversiden. we'll see about that.

a bulletproof vest regardless of which material is only useful against torso hits. aim for any unprotected bodypart and you still score in your kill.... to keep at this analogy.